Panasonic GX800 Owners Thread

Just for reference I have true cinema set to all it’s defaults except
Backlight 75
Contrast 93
Brightness 2
Colour 60
Tint 2
Sharpness 50

Please note this is for my viewing environment and may differ from other people’s as the review says blackout conditions are not good for this tv.

Hope that is of use 😄

Morning
Can anyone tell me if Plex is installed on the apps menu
Thanks

So I’ve played around with the setting and watched a few things from different sources in different colours and it’s almost definitely a poor stream quality that is causing the issue.

This doesn’t get away from the fact that the TV doesn’t handle it very well, and my old tv deals with poorer sources better in general. I could probably cope with it, especially as streams revert back to original quality pre-lockdown.

the question is how often will issues like this crop up with my viewing habits?

I have an XF9005 turning up tomorrow, so I will compare that and see if it is worth the extra over the GX800.

I’ve attached some shots of the blocky smearing on Nightcrawler. They were taken with the suggested settings in True Cinema mode. It’s a really weird glitchy look especially around where it says “Riz Ahmed”.
How did you get on with the XF9005? Any better?

So I’ve played around with the setting and watched a few things from different sources in different colours and it’s almost definitely a poor stream quality that is causing the issue.

This doesn’t get away from the fact that the TV doesn’t handle it very well, and my old tv deals with poorer sources better in general. I could probably cope with it, especially as streams revert back to original quality pre-lockdown.

the question is how often will issues like this crop up with my viewing habits?

I have an XF9005 turning up tomorrow, so I will compare that and see if it is worth the extra over the GX800.

I’ve attached some shots of the blocky smearing on Nightcrawler. They were taken with the suggested settings in True Cinema mode. It’s a really weird glitchy look especially around where it says “Riz Ahmed”.
I watched the intro to Nightcrawler on Netflix, and you're right, it is awful. The i watched the trailer for it on Amazon Primer video, and it shows the sames scenes. It's spot on on there.

I’ve just watched the intro to Nightcrawer on Netflix (Via the tv, and using True Cinema) and see what you mean. It’s literally crawling! If I’m watching dead centre it’s not too noticeable, but from a wider angle, it’s all over the place. I was getting 0.98mbps at 1080p, which seems really low to me.

like I said above, I’ve only noticed this once, maybe twice in the 6months I’ve had the tv, so I’m not too worried about, if It had been a high bitrate stream, then I would have been concerned.

At the end of the day, if you’re not happy with the TV, and you’re still within the return period, then get it returned. Better to be happy than regret it when it’s too late.

Hope this helps and good luck.
I watched the intro to Nightcrawler on Netflix, and you're right, it is awful. The i watched the trailer for it on Amazon Primer video, and it shows the sames scenes. It's spot on on there.

Thanks for the suggestions and tests, guys.

with the GX800 I found that dropping the sharpness and backlight to very low really helped Make the picture and colours better. It didn’t really help With the poor quality stream issue.

The XF9005 is understandably better as it cost over 50% more. I’m going to keep it and the GX is boxed and ready to return. The biggest compliment that I can pay the XF9005 is that it is the upgrade that I wanted and expected when coming from my old Panasonic Plasma. The colours have a similar warmth And greater subtlety That I like. It seems like I can pretty much leave it in either standard or cinema mode and I’ll be happy, no fiddling around.

One thing I’d like to ask others. I’ve not got a 4K Blu-ray player yet, so I’ve only been accessing HDR and DV content via Amazon and Netflix. On both TVs I’ve found the performance mixed at best. It’s better on the Sony, but both TVs go into lock down with more tightly restricted settings being controlled dynamically. But I’m not sure I like the result. I was wondering what others experience of DV/HDR content is and how much better the experience is from UHD disc than streaming?

cheers

One other thing about the GX.

Straight away when I first got it it always seemed to have a problems with blues and greens. No matter what settings it struggled, looking unnatural and out of balance with other colours. grass always looked weird. Maybe this could have been fixed with proper calibration? I wasn’t sure if it was just a common floor of LCDs in general.

In fact the darker scenes with cool tones looked worse that darker scenes with warm tones. I’m not sure if their is a scientific reason behind this, whether it is how compression algorithms work, or the physical properties of the panel?

Just thought I’d throw that into the mix.

Hi all have just purchased this TV and the Panasonic sc-htb900. Awaiting delivery currently. Just wondering what set ups are being used for this? Also will be linking up an Xbox one s and also a ps4. Mainly using the Xbox as a uhd player but looking into getting an actual uhd player soon. Have seen the sc-htb900 doesn't support Dolby vis or hdr10+ so would I be best off relaying my Xbox into TV and soundbar into TV through arc to ensure I'm getting dolby atmos and Dolby vis?

One other thing about the GX.

Straight away when I first got it it always seemed to have a problems with blues and greens. No matter what settings it struggled, looking unnatural and out of balance with other colours. grass always looked weird. Maybe this could have been fixed with proper calibration? I wasn’t sure if it was just a common floor of LCDs in general.

In fact the darker scenes with cool tones looked worse that darker scenes with warm tones. I’m not sure if their is a scientific reason behind this, whether it is how compression algorithms work, or the physical properties of the panel?

Just thought I’d throw that into the mix.

Have you tried groover22's settings?.....

groover22(updated)

Firstly, I’m using the following settings now (Freeview/Freesat)

Preset : Custom

Backlight : 35
Contrast : 95
Brightness : 0
Colour : 45
Tint : -8 (Gets rid of yellowish tint on faces)
Sharpness : 20

Colour Temp. : Warm2 (Warm1 also works if you prefer a slightly cooler/brighter picture)

Vivid Colour : Off
Backlight Control : Off (Any higher than Min causes noticeable changes)
Ambient Sensor : Off

Noise Reduction : Auto
MPEG Remaster : Auto
Resolution Remaster : Auto
(I leave the above three on Auto as it has no detrimental effect on HD Channels, but helps with noise reduction on SD Channels - but set all three to off if you’d prefer)

Dynamic Range Remaster : Off
IFC : Min
Clear Motion : Off

Advanced Settings :
Contrast Control : Auto
Colour Gamut : Normal
Gamma : 2.4

Option Settings :
Film Cadence : Auto (if 1080i, will be greyed out for 1080p)

Screen Settings :
Aspect : 16:9 for HD, Auto for SD Channels)
16:9 Overscan : Off

All other settings left at default.

Anybody else getting almost daily messages about new channels being added? Despite clicking Ok, next day it comes back or the message is slightly different (channels re-ordering) but one or other returns. Sometimes it can pop up more than once a day. Driving me mad! Coincidentally I do get signal problems so I wonder if it’s finding new channels whenever the signal improves and then prompts me?

Anybody else getting almost daily messages about new channels being added? Despite clicking Ok, next day it comes back or the message is slightly different (channels re-ordering) but one or other returns. Driving me mad! Coincidentally I do get signal problems so I wonder if it’s finding new channels whenever the signal improves and then prompts me?

Me - I deleted a load of channels I never watch last night, and moved around the channels I do. Then this morning it had re-added all deleted channels, and put them back in order. Annoying. Have turned off ‘auto update channel list’ in the settings, so hopefully that will stop it.

I pick up multiple transmitters, so pretty sure that’s what’s causing it.

I can't seem to access 4k/dolby vision content on the Gx800's built in Netflix app. I have the upgraded subscription and works perfectly through my Xbox 1X. Is the built in app not capable of 4k streaming or am I missing something? Thanks.

I can't seem to access 4k/dolby vision content on the Gx800's built in Netflix app. I have the upgraded subscription and works perfectly through my Xbox 1X. Is the built in app not capable of 4k streaming or am I missing something? Thanks.
The TV's own Netflix app is definitely 4k and Dolby Vision capable/Compatible.

...so would I be best off relaying my Xbox into TV and soundbar into TV through arc to ensure I'm getting dolby atmos and Dolby vis?
Yes, this is how I do it with my ageing setup (no DV or HDR pass through on my AV receiver) For example, 4K fire stick on HDMI1 on the tv, DV and HDR available and tv passes through DD etc to the amp.

Anybody else getting almost daily messages about new channels being added? Despite clicking Ok, next day it comes back or the message is slightly different (channels re-ordering) but one or other returns. Sometimes it can pop up more than once a day. Driving me mad! Coincidentally I do get signal problems so I wonder if it’s finding new channels whenever the signal improves and then prompts me?

Yeah I get that a lot too, 3 or 4 times a week sometimes.;)

Well, read very good reviews about this model and would want to get one. The 58 version that is.
Or.., also looking at a Philips 58pus7304, which has ambilight around the same price.
It´s hard to choose.

So, any downsides on the Panny? Anyone also familiar with the Philips.

Well, read very good reviews about this model and would want to get one. The 58 version that is.
Or.., also looking at a Philips 58pus7304, which has ambilight around the same price.
It´s hard to choose.

I’m generally happy with my GX800. The biggest downside for me is the viewing angle, it’s really very poor and you pretty much have to view it full on or the picture quality diminishes.

It´s hard to choose.

Don't know anything about the Philips but I'm very happy with my 50" GX800. In my opinion the only downsides worth considering would be the limited viewing angle if you have people watching from off-centre, the reflective screen if you have windows behind your sofa, and the limited app store compared to other manufacturers.
Picture wise, it's the best TV I've owned for this kind of money and is particularly good when fed with a quality 4K HDR source. 4K streaming on Netflix, YouTube, Rakuten and Amazon is excellent (no Disney+ or Apple TV apps). I watch a lot of movies in a fairly dark room and have been incredibly impressed with the black levels thanks to the VA panel, particularly compared to my previous Samsung and LG TVs which were IPS and had significant light bleed. My GX800 has zero light bleed and even prompted my brother (who owns an LG C8 OLED) to think I'd bought a Panasonic OLED when he first saw it running a 4K Dolby Vision Blu-Ray disc!

Don't know anything about the Philips but I'm very happy with my 50" GX800. In my opinion the only downsides worth considering would be the limited viewing angle if you have people watching from off-centre, the reflective screen if you have windows behind your sofa, and the limited app store compared to other manufacturers.
Picture wise, it's the best TV I've owned for this kind of money and is particularly good when fed with a quality 4K HDR source. 4K streaming on Netflix, YouTube, Rakuten and Amazon is excellent (no Disney+ or Apple TV apps). I watch a lot of movies in a fairly dark room and have been incredibly impressed with the black levels thanks to the VA panel, particularly compared to my previous Samsung and LG TVs which were IPS and had significant light bleed. My GX800 has zero light bleed and even prompted my brother (who owns an LG C8 OLED) to think I'd bought a Panasonic OLED when he first saw it running a 4K Dolby Vision Blu-Ray disc!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom