Panasonic GX800 Owners Thread

@groover22: according to the manual, there is no explicit HDR mode, unlike Cinema, Normal, etc. I do have a couple of parameters to re-check though. Thanks for your input.
No but It will still say HDR at the top, next to for example, Cinema etc.

I'd had a problem with my Manhattan FreeviewPlay box, and it turned out I had changed the HDMI input to Mode1 (me constantly messing with settings again..) and left it, changing it back to Mode2 fixed it, which is why I suggested it really.

Hope you get it sorted

groover

Hi, wonder if anyone can help me? The gx800 is advertised as having dolby atmos, do you have to attach a sound surround system to use atmos or can it be used to a limited decree through the TV's speakers?

You can get it through the TV speakers but, as you can imagine, it's a very limited facsimile of Dolby Atmos. Sound overall though isn't too bad on the GX800.

@groover22: I did have the settings correct for HDR playback. I just missed the HDR flag on the Picture menu! However, I'm not that impressed with the picture quality on my GX800, and with hindsight being a wonderful thing, would never have bought it. My LG 49SM8500PLA is a far better set all round.

Last edited:
@groover22: I did have the settings correct for HDR playback. I just missed the HDR flag on the Picture menu! However, I'm not that impressed with the picture quality on my GX800, and with hindsight being a wonderful thing, would never have bought it. My LG 49SM8500PLA is a far better set all round.
Glad you got it sorted. Easy to miss tbf.

I know what you mean about the TV. Considering the good reviews it got, I'm still trying to get the settings right. What looks good on some tv content, will look totally wrong on other. The colours always seem slightly off to me also. Almost like they drift slightly.

tbf, I have enjoyed a lot of the 4k/HDR content on the tv. It's mainly freeview etc I can't seem to get right. Frustrating to say the least.

Oh well, here's to being able to afford an OLED!

I tend to use Normal for Freeview, Cinema for DVD/BR playback and True Cinema for Netflix/Amazon. The default DV settings are totally wrong, especially Bright. The picture, to me, is unwatchable without tweaking it, a lot! You're right about the settings though. Some content looks OK, other stuff, rubbish. I've lost count of the amount of time that I've spent adjusting the picture quality. By comparison, it took about 10 minutes to get things right on my LG. I use Cinema on all settings, and let the TV do its own thing with HDR and DV content. The thing that prompted me to go for the 800 first was, strange as it might seem, the dimensions of the stand, as that would fit on my existing platform. In the end, I made a new plinth for the LG to stand on (stupid legs at the ends of the panel), moved the 800 to bedroom duty and replaced it with the LG. The LG isn't perfect, for sure, but as a package, IMO, it knocks the Panasonic out of the park.

I tend to use Normal for Freeview, Cinema for DVD/BR playback and True Cinema for Netflix/Amazon. The default DV settings are totally wrong, especially Bright. The picture, to me, is unwatchable without tweaking it, a lot! You're right about the settings though. Some content looks OK, other stuff, rubbish. I've lost count of the amount of time that I've spent adjusting the picture quality. By comparison, it took about 10 minutes to get things right on my LG. I use Cinema on all settings, and let the TV do its own thing with HDR and DV content. The thing that prompted me to go for the 800 first was, strange as it might seem, the dimensions of the stand, as that would fit on my existing platform. In the end, I made a new plinth for the LG to stand on (stupid legs at the ends of the panel), moved the 800 to bedroom duty and replaced it with the LG. The LG isn't perfect, for sure, but as a package, IMO, it knocks the Panasonic out of the park.
I tried your settings, Clem, and they certainly gave the picture more "pop" but, as you say, the quality varied massively dependent on content source. For me, only True Cinema gives an accurate and consistent performance across different sources but at the expense of vibrancy, particularly on anything less than 4K content. I am ok with that and I think it plays to Panasonic's strengths but completely understand how you and others may be disappointed by its performance in this area. I also agree that LG tvs can provide a really vivid, enjoyable image, although I am not so keen on their (non-OLED) black levels and lip sync issues, the latter being an inherent problem with all LG tvs for a number of years, particularly if you hook it up to an AV system or soundbar. Also, I actually quite like the default settings for DV but agree the HDR 10 ones are better with this set. "Vive le difference", buddy 😀!

Indeed. I agree with you about the lip sync issues with LG kit -- a world of misery for sure, which I know way too much about. I can forgive the black level issue as it's not too bad on my LG. What I do find irritating, on both the Panasonic and LG TVs, is the jumping light levels on DV material. Picture settings do reduce it a bit, but to my eye HDR10 material generally looks better, and comparing my LG and Panasonic, well let's just say that I can only give the Panasonic 2/10 for effort. The lG picture is just spectacular with the right source, the Panasonic average at best.

The thing that prompted me to go for the 800 first was, strange as it might seem, the dimensions of the stand, as that would fit on my existing platform.
Not so strange as this is exactly what swung it for me. Plus the 58“ was an upgrade to 55”. Picture quality etc has been well covered in earlier comments.

My gripe is the lack of the BT Sport and Apple TV apps and, as I have now discovered, the media player does not remember where you stop in a file.
So much fast forwarding if you leave a film halfway through. Doh!

Not so strange as this is exactly what swung it for me. Plus the 58“ was an upgrade to 55”. Picture quality etc has been well covered in earlier comments.

My gripe is the lack of the BT Sport and Apple TV apps and, as I have now discovered, the media player does not remember where you stop in a file.
So much fast forwarding if you leave a film halfway through. Doh!
That's why such forums like this exist and well informed men shouldn't miss out important info on apps. It is well know that Panasonic is the least brand to support apps like Apple tv and even spotify is missing and more exotic material . Compared to the media player of other brands it's basic with no DTS support but that 's no different with Lg and Samsung 20 models either.
Maybe you have to start to watch your movies all the way or buy an decent media player;)

No NowTV either, for those that use it, me included. Very poor support from Panasonic, but if you need that sort of stuff, Samsung or LG are your friends, both Korean companies? They clearly understand the market that they operate in far better than Panasonic, that or Panasonic is just too lazy to offer customers stuff that they actually want to use.

Thanks for the comments Clem_Dye and Sir Oled - agreed and noted.
I’d always bought Samsung until now but based my decision on aesthetics. There are lots of similarities between 4K TV’s but the devil is in the details.

Hello everyone,

I recently acquired a 58-GX830 and i was wondering if someone has good settings for Gaming with and without HDR, and for movie (plex, amazon prime video and netflix).

Thanks in advance :)

I recently purchased this TV and have found it to be very good overall,a vast improvement over old CRT TV's which I used to repair.
Just one question how do I get BBC1&2 teletext to work? Pressing the TEXT button has no effect, I miss this for the footie scores

No NowTV either, for those that use it, me included. Very poor support from Panasonic, but if you need that sort of stuff, Samsung or LG are your friends, both Korean companies? They clearly understand the market that they operate in far better than Panasonic, that or Panasonic is just too lazy to offer customers stuff that they actually want to use.
Wait what? That LG that has mainboard boards fails from heat after 2 months? That Samsung that i see few of them in every friend house/garages dead? And we are talking for medium prices tv, not low end ones.
On Lg after they change mainboard when they putcover up led glow appear in other places... Now they are all over the place. The back cover is like maked from paper.... Compared to Panasonic build, Lg is Skoda and Pana Mercedes.
Panasonic Va has zero glow for my human eye in black light.
Lg and Samsuck are not made to last in time.

Build quality is somewhat academic if the supposedly superior manufactured product doesn't actually offer what the customer wants, and if you look in this and other forums here, there are plenty of examples of duff from new Panasonic TVs, or those those that developed a fault soon after purchase. I've had to return for replacement two Panasonic 4K BR players recently because of faults. The general rules of engagement, be it a/v gear, computing kit, whatever, seems to be that failures, if it's going to occur, generally tends to happen with a short period from new, but otherwise the aforesaid kit will soldier on for some time before failing. That mirrors my Panasonic BR player problems and other kit that I've had in the past, both in the a/v and IT world. Overall reliability is good, but not great, and is reflected in the mass-produced nature of what we as society consume today. I don't believe that Panasonic is any better or worse when it comes to reliability, although I agree that Samsung products seem more likely to fail, based on anecdotal evidence on AVForums and elsewhere. After all, a Ferrari can break down just as easily as a Ford Fiesta ... Nothing nowadays is made to last. The days of make do and mend are long gone. Blame society for that, not the manufacturers, who need to keep selling in order to stay in business. There's nothing to be gained, and much to be lost, by making kit that's easy to repair or upgrade.

Hows the viewing angles on this at 45 degrees?
I've seen a video where the 'salesman' claims that the one big difference between the gx and hx (2020) model is viewing angle. The GX is as a VA panel not good. The 2020 model is much better for a VA panel.. But of course not an IPS or VA(with filter, like q90r/T samsung) or oled.
Hopelfully this years model is also much less glossy.. But then this years hx model is new and more expensive still..

I would like to share my thoughts about my gx800 58" TV. I bought it to replace a curved 55' Samsung TV which just after the warranty expired started to have purple blotches on the screen. It was not too bad but once you saw the blotches I could not unsee them, so it was decided to buy a new TV and when we offered the Samsung to the kids for use with the xbox they were very happy!
To be honest the main reason we decided to buy this TV was because of the stand. We had recently bought a expensive TV stand and because the gx800 had a central stand we knew it would fit on it, and also we bought it because of the good specs on the tv
I found immediately that the picture quality was better than the Samsung and full hdr intergration was a added bonus.
After using the tv for a while I realised the colours did not spot on. When used in the native gamut mode Reds in particular did not seem life-like, they seemed too bright and the hue just seemed wrong. When the TV was used in the normal gamut mode then colours seemed washed out. One thing I tried to remedy the red hue problem was adjusting the tint control this seemed to solve the red hue problem but threw the green balance way out!
Next thing I tried was going into the custom picture mode and then going into advance settings and playing around with the colour management. There are so many options there, so I just concentrated on the red hue and managed to get a better red hue. But it still did not look the way I wanted.
Then a few days ago I was looking through my dvd collection and found a blue ray picture calibration disc which I had forgotten all about.
So using the supplied blue/red/green filters and the DVDs test screens I attempted to sort this problem out.
Well after a few hours of trial and error I managed to get the test screens and filters in harmony. As I thought the red hue was out and the green filter showed that the green colour range needed a lot of adjustment! The blue colour range was not too bad. It takes a lot of patience because as you get one colour sorted it can throw another colour out so it is a bit of a balancing act.
So after the adjustments I watched The rise of Skywalker on my V6 virgin box and the results were amazing! The quality was good before but this simple callibration took it to another level. The colours seemed truer and more balanced and the TV seemed more watchable. Skin tones were realistic and red hues were so much better.
I have done this simple callibration on cinema, true cinema and custom modes, I would have liked to have done it on the normal mode as well but the option is not available.
I have read on this forum about many owners asking about settings on this TV and how to get the best from it. Well if your struggling like I was to get the picture just right then a callibration disc may be your answer. You can buy them for under £10 on ebay and I would say they are definitely worth it.

I would like to share my thoughts about my gx800 58" TV. I bought it to replace a curved 55' Samsung TV which just after the warranty expired started to have purple blotches on the screen. It was not too bad but once you saw the blotches I could not unsee them, so it was decided to buy a new TV and when we offered the Samsung to the kids for use with the xbox they were very happy!
To be honest the main reason we decided to buy this TV was because of the stand. We had recently bought a expensive TV stand and because the gx800 had a central stand we knew it would fit on it, and also we bought it because of the good specs on the tv
I found immediately that the picture quality was better than the Samsung and full hdr intergration was a added bonus.
After using the tv for a while I realised the colours did not spot on. When used in the native gamut mode Reds in particular did not seem life-like, they seemed too bright and the hue just seemed wrong. When the TV was used in the normal gamut mode then colours seemed washed out. One thing I tried to remedy the red hue problem was adjusting the tint control this seemed to solve the red hue problem but threw the green balance way out!
Next thing I tried was going into the custom picture mode and then going into advance settings and playing around with the colour management. There are so many options there, so I just concentrated on the red hue and managed to get a better red hue. But it still did not look the way I wanted.
Then a few days ago I was looking through my dvd collection and found a blue ray picture calibration disc which I had forgotten all about.
So using the supplied blue/red/green filters and the DVDs test screens I attempted to sort this problem out.
Well after a few hours of trial and error I managed to get the test screens and filters in harmony. As I thought the red hue was out and the green filter showed that the green colour range needed a lot of adjustment! The blue colour range was not too bad. It takes a lot of patience because as you get one colour sorted it can throw another colour out so it is a bit of a balancing act.
So after the adjustments I watched The rise of Skywalker on my V6 virgin box and the results were amazing! The quality was good before but this simple callibration took it to another level. The colours seemed truer and more balanced and the TV seemed more watchable. Skin tones were realistic and red hues were so much better.
I have done this simple callibration on cinema, true cinema and custom modes, I would have liked to have done it on the normal mode as well but the option is not available.
I have read on this forum about many owners asking about settings on this TV and how to get the best from it. Well if your struggling like I was to get the picture just right then a callibration disc may be your answer. You can buy them for under £10 on ebay and I would say they are definitely worth it.
Any chance of posting your settings?

Cheers

Groover

Hello everyone,

I recently acquired a 58-GX830 and i was wondering if someone has good settings for Gaming with and without HDR, and for movie (plex, amazon prime video and netflix).

Thanks in advance :)
PRESET : Game (SDR)

Backlight 35
Contrast 95
Brightness 0
Colour 50
Tint 0
Sharpness 20

Colour temp Normal
Vivid Colour Off
Adaptive Backlight Off
Ambient Sensor Off
Resolution Remaster Off
Dynamic Range Rem. Off
Clear Motion Off

Option Settings :
HDMI RGB Range Auto (Full)
*Anything else left at default.

Preset : Game (HDR)

Backlight 100
Contrast 100
Brightness 0
Colour 50
Tint 0
Sharpness 20

Colour temp. Normal
Vivid Colour Off
Rec.2020 Colour Rem. On
Adaptive Back. Off

HDMI Brightness Settings :
Dynamic HDR Effect On
HDR Auto Brightness On
HDR Bright Enhancer 8
Resolution Remaster Off
Clear Motion Off

Option Settings :
HDMI RGB Range Normal

*Anything else left a t default

*For HDR remember to calibrate first on the PS4 itself in settings.

I use the above settings and all looks good to me.

Cheers

Groover

Any chance of posting your settings?

Cheers

Groover

You may well be aware that all panels can be slightly different so here is what works for me. You might not get exactly the same results but it may be good starting point

Go to picture settings

On viewing mode go to custom

then scroll down to advance settings. Then colour management.

This is the settings I used.

Red hue +25
Red saturation 0
Red luminance +14

Green hue 0
G Sat -7
G lum +30

B hue -3
B Sat +27
B lum +11

Then click on more detailed adjustment

C hue 0
C sat 0

M hue -11
M sat +2

Y hue+14
Y sat 0

These worked for me. When I look through the b/r/g filters with the test screen I would say it is about 98% there. Just can't get the final 2% right! Cause changing one colour effects another and I don't have the experience or patience to get the balance 100%.
Hope this helps.
(If it does not work just use the reset tab and all will be back to normal)

Last edited:
You may well be aware that all panels can be slightly different so here is what works for me. You might not get exactly the same results but it may be good starting point

Go to picture settings

On viewing mode go to custom

then scroll down to advance settings. Then colour management.

This is the settings I used.

Red hue +25
Red saturation 0
Red luminance +14

Green hue 0
G Sat -7
G lum +30

B hue -3
B Sat +27
B lum +11

Then click on more detailed adjustment

C hue 0
C sat 0

M hue -11
M sat +2

Y hue+14
Y sat 0

These worked for me. When I look through the b/r/g filters with the test screen I would say it is about 98% there. Just can't get the final 2% right! Cause changing one colour effects another and I don't have the experience or patience to get the balance 100%.
Hope this helps.
(If it does not work just use the reset tab and all will be back to normal)
Thanks for taking the time to post your settings, much appreciated. Am aware that we shouldn’t really use settings from other panels etc, but am a sucker for trying them out.

I plan on getting one of the discs you mention, and hopefully doing it myself! I definitely don’t have the experience or indeed the patience either but will give it a go.

Thanks again for posting them, will let youknow how they look on my set.

cheers

groover

Thanks for taking the time to post your settings, much appreciated. Am aware that we shouldn’t really use settings from other panels etc, but am a sucker for trying them out.

I plan on getting one of the discs you mention, and hopefully doing it myself! I definitely don’t have the experience or indeed the patience either but will give it a go.

Thanks again for posting them, will let youknow how they look on my set.

cheers

groover

The disc I used was called picture perfect.
Looking forward to see how you get on.

The disc I used was called picture perfect.
Looking forward to see how you get on.
Thanks, will eBay it shortly.

Out of interest, what settings are you using alongside the colour management adjustments? i.e. Backlight, Contrast and Colour etc?
Also, contrast control, gamma and colour gamut?

thanks again

groover

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom