Panasonic GZ OLED Series Owners Thread

Actually, I just thought. Even the sky+hd box does surround sound, right? So probably better to leave it where it is

Sounds fine then. I moved my sky q box, which I've only just upgraded to, to the TV because my soundbar doesn't passthru hdr. The sound then just goes via hdmi arc and although it's lossy, you'd find it hard to tell the difference. It's all so impressive. Loving it

I moved my sky q box, which I've only just upgraded to, to the TV because my soundbar doesn't passthru hdr.
Ah. I splurged, and got a HW-Q90R, taking the total cost to the vicinity of the GZ2000. So it does most everything, but has the annoying "feature" of only having 2 HDMI input ports.

Ah. I splurged, and got a HW-Q90R, taking the total cost to the vicinity of the GZ2000. So it does most everything, but has the annoying "feature" of only having 2 HDMI input ports.

Amazing. Quite envious. Surely then you can have the sky box soundbar or tv and it won’t make any difference?
Can you upgrade to sky q? I upgraded and the price was lower than my existing sky hd package.

Amazing. Quite envious. Surely then you can have the sky box soundbar or tv and it won’t make any difference?
Can you upgrade to sky q? I upgraded and the price was lower than my existing sky hd package.
Ah well. I did save up for 16 months before finally buying the new tv & soundbar :)

On the SkyQ, a couple of issues right now:
1) I always have a discount in place with Sky, I never pay full price. I only just renewed my deal in April this year, for 18 months. So, if I add SkyQ, which puts its own 18 month contract term in place, then I'll have 6 months where my discounts will have expired, but I won't have any leverage to get new ones, as I won't be able to leave
2) You can't transfer recordings from the Sky+HD box to SkyQ, and I have a lot on my box that I want to watch. I'd like to deal with that first.

So, realistically, it'll be October next year before I'll be looking at SkyQ :/

Ok, just to say we are watching hairy bikers Route 66. On sky so upscaling from 1080i. The colours look so accurate, not overly vivid / saturated. So much detail in the closeups - faces especially.
Particularly impressed with greens as I’ve often found these can just look wrong.
Motion looks excellent.
Happy to have others disagree but this is really amazing. What a tv

Ok, just to say we are watching hairy bikers Route 66. On sky so upscaling from 1080i. The colours look so accurate, not overly vivid / saturated. So much detail in the closeups - faces especially.
Particularly impressed with greens as I’ve often found these can just look wrong.
Motion looks excellent.
Happy to have others disagree but this is really amazing. What a tv
Agree 100%

A129B132-6B38-4C65-B7A9-FD1FA54FC2E1.jpeg
F1D071F8-2459-4B66-B8E9-E6322F53C836.jpeg

Very impressive. I assume that’s on the 2000. I’m getting a new phone in the next few days but for now I can’t capture anything that good. Thanks
Loving the hairy bikers :thumbsup:
They are legends. Really interesting guys.Love the series and as you say the picture quality is great. It is the 2000 but I am sure the 950 looks just as impressive.

Got it! Does your player's Netflix app support DV? That's the only reason I'm using the TV's app over my Shield at the moment.
Unless I'm missing a setting somewhere, it turns out that, no, the UHD netflix player supports HDR, but apparently not DV. Think I'll switch over to the tv app, and see how the sound goes. Thanks for the prod on that!

Happen to have the Gladiator UHD in whilst configuring the Harmony remote this morning (Logitech added the 65GZ1000U this week) & recalled possibly the first standout scene where Dolby Vision‘s effect near blinded me....

D6DF14E4-1169-4243-B382-97C4E3382B16.jpeg

I couldn’t believe the intensity of the reflection & that the screen was able to show it so vividly.

I don't really pause my PS4 much but as I mentioned earlier with my PS4 Pro (connecting via the PSVR box) I haven't seen any dimming at all.

Do you get it whilst actually playing?

Yeah. I thought I'd eliminated it last night by putting the luminance down to 80 and it seemed fine until I tried it on Fifa and wasn't long into a match before it dimmed.

I really don't think I can live with it and I find myself constantly looking out for it now. It's getting to me to the point where I'm seriously thinking of cutting my losses and selling it which is a shame since I've only had it two weeks and I love everything else about it.

Great Pictures!

Can the GZ utilise reverse pulldown/5:5 pulldown cadence? What is the Panasonic's equivalent of Sony True Cinema and LG Real Cinema modes?

Great Pictures!

Can the GZ utilise reverse pulldown/5:5 pulldown cadence? What is the Panasonic's equivalent of Sony True Cinema and LG Real Cinema modes?
Panasonic, since the days of Plasma, have had the edge over most of the competition in out-of-the-box Picture Settings with their “THX” calibrated preset.

The GZ range continues that trend with “THX Cinema” which is ideal for movie nights (dark room).

For bright rooms, “Professional 1” seems to be a favourite (including for me), but it’s also suitable for low light rooms too (& even dark rooms for some eyes).

If you’re on Netflix, you don’t need to worry about which picture mode to use as the GZ range automatically switches to a pre-set “Netflix“ Picture mode, which looks great imo.

Last edited:
Unless I'm missing a setting somewhere, it turns out that, no, the UHD netflix player supports HDR, but apparently not DV. Think I'll switch over to the tv app, and see how the sound goes. Thanks for the prod on that!
Let me know what you think. Significanlty better in DV using the TV's app than HDR10 via my Shield, I'd be interested to know if you experience the same. The 'colourfull' scene at the end of Stranger Things Season 3 and the block colour titles in Abstract are good tests.

Do you guys use the Netflix calibrated mode at all? It looks incredibly flat and dark to me.
I don’t see a problem with it myself. When I switch it on/off, it doesn’t look much different to my preferred picture mode anyway.

Oh really? How is your preffered mode configured?
THX Cinema. I think the Netflix mode darkens it slightly, but since I watch my content in a darkened room, it’s fine for me.

THX Cinema. I think the Netflix mode darkens it slightly, but since I watch my content in a darkened room, it’s fine for me.
Ah ok, my room is pretty dark too but I guess I just like it brighter. Those modes always appear to flatten out the contrast and make white look grey to me, although I'm sure my eyes would adjust over time.

Has anyone played a normal dvd on this set upscaled from a suitable uhd player.? I am just curious what the quality is like as got loads of em and considering a 950 when audio prob fixed

Has anyone played a normal dvd on this set upscaled from a suitable uhd player.? I am just curious what the quality is like as got loads of em and considering a 950 when audio prob fixed

This may not help but I have played a number of dvds on my 950, e.g. Jason Bourne films, not on a uhd player but on my Blu-ray player. I assume it’s playing at 576p and being upscaled from there.
In general they look extremely good, much better than I had expected.
I don’t have to use the disks often as having sky and Netflix and prime things are often on one of those.
I could be wrong, but you shouldn’t need a uhd player for the dvds, because the tv will do the upscaling. E.g. a Panasonic 820 uhd player should upscale in very much the same way as the tv.
All in all this tv is very good at displaying such material, imho.
It’s really only really poor SD material that still doesn’t look that great.

Is anyone using an HDMI switcher? What with chromecasts, multiple consoles, tuners, streamers and whatnot, 4 doesnt really cut it these day. However i find some devices wont hand back connection when they go in standby in a switcher, demanding one of the main ports, so whats the best solution?

Last edited:
@thedoswells : Regarding picture modes, and Pro1 / Pro2, I just noticed that as far as I can tell, the default settings for these when in HDR mode, are identical (unlike in SDR). And possibly also for THX Cinema vs THX Bright Room. With Luminance = 100. Can you confirm on yours?

@thedoswells : Regarding picture modes, and Pro1 / Pro2, I just noticed that as far as I can tell, the default settings for these when in HDR mode, are identical (unlike in SDR). And possibly also for THX Cinema vs THX Bright Room. With Luminance = 100. Can you confirm on yours?

Hi. I can try to have a look tomorrow. But when you say ‘in hdr mode’, I’m not sure I understand. What hdr mode did you mean? I don’t really know what hdr modes would apply to the pro or thx settings as generally any hdr I watch is DV which has its own 3 modes. Sorry, but I’m no expert, but eager to learn. Cheers :)

Hi. I can try to have a look tomorrow. But when you say ‘in hdr mode’, I’m not sure I understand. What hdr mode did you mean? I don’t really know what hdr modes would apply to the pro or thx settings as generally any hdr I watch is DV which has its own 3 modes. Sorry, but I’m no expert, but eager to learn. Cheers :)
Non-DV HDR, in my current case basic HDR10 I believe. When I get round to watching Alita I believe I'll also not get DV unless I disable HDR10 first, as iirc my player (UB820) prioritises HDR10. I'm watching Avengers Assemble right now, having watched Thor yesterday :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom