Panasonic GZ OLED Series Owners Thread

If someone has a Harmony they have to teach it the command from the original remote as it’s missing...
Yeah, we can’t even do that as our region’s remote has a “Menu” button where your Picture button is. Australian GZ remote’s don’t have a Picture button at all...

What helps somewhat though, is that picture modes on HDMI ports are retained, & since I like to use THX Cinema for movies, when switching to the HDMI port that my 4K player’s connected to, the TV switches from the daytime picture mode to THX Cinema.

I've been in touch with Panasonic basically asking if there's any hope in hell eARC will implemented in a future software updated or is it impossible due to hardware limitations? 2 different people via email have notified me that the GZ950 does indeed have eARC. I'll do some testing tonight with my blu ray player to confirm...
What was the outcome of your tests?

Yes that’s a good solution if you use tour tv as the hub. I do t I use my amp as the hub as also have a pj. Would be good if the Harmony DB has one press buttons for modes so you could build in changing to THX or Pro2 when you switched to DVD etc...

Mine is still in the box!
1575375712202.png

One more sleep for me before my GZ950 arrives but I suspect it'll take a 'day or three' before I can get the KRP500a off the wall and start setting things up properly...

As far as I’m aware you’re the first to report vertical banding visible in content on here;very sorry to hear that.
As much hassle as it is returning,I’m not sure I would accept that.By my reckoning Panasonic do appear to have better QC re: panel uniformity so just on that basis alone I find it even more disappointing.

Nope I definitely have banding, a thick block on the left hand and, visible on panning scenes.

This is my second set and I just don't have the time to send it back again

Nope I definitely have banding, a thick block on the left hand and, visible on panning scenes.

Is it similar to this?
20191203_162109.jpg

My screen is very uniform otherwise but that sharp band comes out in many panning scenes. Probably most visible when it's panning against something blue in content.

Hi guys,

I have recently purchased a Panasonic TX-55GZ950B.

I am having audioag issues with using a sound bar and turning on game mode for my tv. With this combination the sound is delayed by a good second and I can't figure out whether this is my particular TV or a bug in the system. I have tried changing up many settings and I still can't seem to find anything that removes this delay unless I take off game mode, which isn't an option as I want this mainly for gaming. If anyone has any advice that would be much appreciated!

My GZ950 will be arriving tomorrow and really looking forward to it. I currently have a 7 year old ST50 plasma and can play media files from a Western Digital NAS drive attached to my router through the TV media player, and file support is decent. I can (still) play most 1080p mkv and mp4 files without issue regardless of encoding. From a bit of reading up, I think the media player on the GZ950 might be a bit more limited? I had, for example, hoped to be able to watch 4k HDR mkv files. Is that just not going to be possible? Might be I have to buy a Roku or similar.

Hi guys,

I have recently purchased a Panasonic TX-55GZ950B.

I am having audioag issues with using a sound bar and turning on game mode for my tv. With this combination the sound is delayed by a good second and I can't figure out whether this is my particular TV or a bug in the system. I have tried changing up many settings and I still can't seem to find anything that removes this delay unless I take off game mode, which isn't an option as I want this mainly for gaming. If anyone has any advice that would be much appreciated!

Hi. Can you give some more information please. What game console do you have and what soundbar? Are you not able to connect the console to the soundbar and hdmi arc to the TV? Cheers

Plex is available on the TV. This has always worked well on other sets, not tried it yet in my 950.

Thanks for the suggestion. However, I have a lesser known DLNA media server called Twonky running on a western digital my cloud device (it won't support plex) attached to the router. I know Roku devices will play nicely with it. However I think I'll need an ethernet connected device to stream 4k and they don't come particularly cheap.

Thanks for the suggestion. However, I have a lesser known DLNA media server called Twonky running on a western digital my cloud device (it won't support plex) attached to the router. I know Roku devices will play nicely with it. However I think I'll need an ethernet connected device to stream 4k and they don't come particularly cheap.

My old QNAP NAS runs Twonky as well :)

I can stream everything except for DTS files to the basic media player on the TV with no issues. It even streams 4K stuff over Wifi absolutely fine. DTS is the sticking point as the TV media player doesn't support it (plus it's just basic folder style).
I did however upgrade my old media player box to a Vero 4K+as I wanted to keep all my movie art and descriptions etc... and it's a much better solution (although wouldn't stream 4K very well over Wifi so I hard wired it).

EDIT - and the Vero just streams via NFS (or works via SMB as well) with no issues over my homeplugs.

My old QNAP NAS runs Twonky as well :)

I can stream everything except for DTS files to the basic media player on the TV with no issues. It even streams 4K stuff over Wifi absolutely fine. DTS is the sticking point as the TV media player doesn't support it (plus it's just basic folder style).
I did however upgrade my old media player box to a Vero 4K+as I wanted to keep all my movie art and descriptions etc... and it's a much better solution (although wouldn't stream 4K very well over Wifi so I hard wired it).

EDIT - and the Vero just streams via NFS (or works via SMB as well) with no issues over my homeplugs.

Great. This is really helpful. I think DTS may be the same sticking point on the current plasma. So potentially not as problematic as first thought. I'll definitely end up with a 4k media box of some sort eventually when Panasonic predictably stop updating the TV apps!

I'll definitely end up with a 4k media box of some sort eventually when Panasonic predictably stop updating the TV apps!
Uncle Mtenga says:

Firestick 4K for SVOD
Zappiti HDR for MKV
Cambridge Audio CXUHD for DV and HDR10+

Sorted :D

Great. This is really helpful. I think DTS may be the same sticking point on the current plasma. So potentially not as problematic as first thought. I'll definitely end up with a 4k media box of some sort eventually when Panasonic predictably stop updating the TV apps!

Yeh DTS was an issue for me as well. The Vero is a great little Kodi box and plays everything and only £100. Having all my movies browsable and searchable in a Netflix kind of list is so much better.

Is it similar to this?
View attachment 1227755

My screen is very uniform otherwise but that sharp band comes out in many panning scenes. Probably most visible when it's panning against something blue in content.
Well there goes my hope of avoiding this never-ending issue by getting one of these:blush:.
I’m not going to add to any frustration you may already justifiably have by saying what I think of this quite obviously being considered ‘within spec’by manufacturers.

That’s by no means the worst I’ve seen.While I’m not sure it does,I just hope in both your cases,time and comp cycles improve things if you’ve commited to keep them.

Thank you both for posting.

Last edited:
The Vero is a great little Kodi box and plays everything and only £100.
As long as you don't need ISO or BDMV support! It never used to be that clever at 3D either amongst other niggles. Mine is in my TV Box graveyard.

As long as you don't need ISO or BDMV support! It never used to be that clever at 3D either amongst other niggles. Mine is in my TV Box graveyard.

Should have said it plays everything I need it to play at a decent price :thumbsup:

That table just shows you if you can transcode or not. If you don’t need to transcode most devices that can run Plex will work fine with relatively low power cpu / memory. I.e. if your source file and display are both 1080 or 4k it should happily work if your network can handle the bandwidth. The hardest thing for Plex to do is transcode if your watching a 4k source on a 1080 display or even worse a phone with just 480 etc...

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom