Panasonic GZ OLED Series Owners Thread

Your Firestick buffering issues are the reason I'm wary of buying one of those as a solution to TV app limitations (despite their relatively cheap price)

I have to say that the normal (1080p) Firestick I have is situated in the kitchen with a wif-fi extender on the opposite wall and this streams without any issues at all.

The 4K Firestick is usually situated in the bedroom which is further from the nearest wi-fi signal and I do get the occasional drop-out. I had wondered whether this might be something to do with the higher streaming demands for the 4K version, however the bedroom TV it's normally connected to is a 1080p set so this presumably isn't the cause.

I've not done any extensive testing yet, but I would think that anyone with good wi-fi coverage in the home would be fine with a Firestick, but you would have to be prepared to address that if you bought one and had problems. You need a good, fast signal for streaming 4K UHD content (a minimum of 20 Mbps is recommended I think)

The Firestick ethernet adaptor is another option for the later Firestick models - this adds £14 to the cost, but that would undoubtedly be cheaper than upgrading the wi-fi !

BT or other manufacturer Whole Home Wi-Fi is also an option!

It may be a bit more but if you have dead spots for Wi-Fi due to your house walls or other interference it upgrades the Wi-Fi for everything.

I struggled with Wi-Fi for ages changing providers and buying expensive ASUS & Netgear routers, bought a few disc and voila, good thing is you can buy a 2 pack and just add extras to fill in dead spots as required..

Last edited:
Hi everyone - been reading here for a couple of months, and have been a 55" GZ1000 owner for a couple of months also! Been loving HDTV and almost everything at Pro1 setting with warm1. (Except Nintendo - Normal mode for insane rich colours on MarioKart!!)
Super excited to be receiving my UB820 4k player tomorrow. Had 6 movies sititng here all week teasing me - can't wait to give them a spin!
I have noticed nobody (as far as I can see) has questioned the ventilation holes on the rear of the TV. No matter how often I clean, my room just gets dusty! The position of those vents, pointing straight up like that... I think that a lot of dust will get in there over the coming years (even in any house with "normal/minimal" dust!) So.. I am seriously considering making a thin cardboard "shelf" - basically a 45 degree angled run-off about 2 inches above the vents (to allow it to do its cooling job still). Does this play on anyone elses mind? Probably being OCD about it. Most TV's of the past never really had them pointed straight up like that.

Anyway, thanks for posting all the great stuff! :)

I have noticed nobody (as far as I can see) has questioned the ventilation holes on the rear of the TV. No matter how often I clean, my room just gets dusty! The position of those vents, pointing straight up like that... I think that a lot of dust will get in there over the coming years (even in any house with "normal/minimal" dust!) So.. I am seriously considering making a thin cardboard "shelf" - basically a 45 degree angled run-off about 2 inches above the vents (to allow it to do its cooling job still). Does this play on anyone elses mind? Probably being OCD about it. Most TV's of the past never really had them pointed straight up like that.
You'll find that most OLED TV's have the vents in that orientation and if it were an issue, you'd have heard about it by now.
I had my previous OLED for 2 years, in a house with 2 dogs, and didn't have any issues with that. I don't recall any excess dust build up on those vents either.

On the flip side, if you obstruct those vents in anyway (2" from them isn't very far...), you're almost certain to do damage to the TV, through it overheating.

Paul

Amazon's 4K stream of the Liverpool game last night looked good via the GZ950's Prime Video app - studio shots were very definitely 4K as the clarity was fantastic. The quality of the 4K picture deteriorated a bit once the match kicked off, but then I used to find the same with my old 1080p plasma - ie. close-up, still shots would look fantastic but smaller subjects running around (eg. football players) wouldn't look so good. Presumably this is more to do with motion handling than anything else, although the cameras used for the match itself could be different too.

I switched to a 4K Firestick and was surprised to find that the TV switched to Dolby Vision / HDR mode. This was definitely not available via the TV app. Motion also seemed a bit better to my eyes - could this be a difference in frame-rate between the Firestick and TV app ?

I did find the TV's app streamed smoothly without issues (ethernet connection/70Mbps fibre) whereas the Firestick did lose the stream a few times and sometimes the quality took a dive to sub-SD levels - this could have been a wif-fi issue though, as I'd moved the Firestick from a TV in another room midway through the game and hadn't had chance to test it properly with the wi-fi in the lounge.
I could only get 1080p on the TV app which is hard wired to my virgin media fiber optic router but when i switched to my fire stick which is wireless it adjusted the framrate and switched to 4k hdr i did this a number of times with the same result its definitely a fault with tv app.

Mikej. I see you too use an oldish Yamaha avr with the 950. I still can’t get mine to work on arc. Of course I use hdmi 2 and have arc and hdmi control on. The tv remote even controls the amp now for volume but I simply get no sound when set to av2 the input I set as arc input. Through optical on av1 no probs. Any thoughts?

Watching Rogue one on DVD. Very disappointed with the upscaling (from 576p?). It's really good so I will find it hard to justify an 820 and updated discs to the good lady :(

Just tried the arsenal match on the amazon prime app on the GZ950 only 1080p again same as last night for the liverpool match and the audio is sent to my avr in pcm. The fire stick is 4k hdr and dd+ whats going on with the app for the live football all the other content plays in 4k

Just tried the arsenal match on the amazon prime app on the GZ950 only 1080p again same as last night for the liverpool match and the audio is sent to my avr in pcm. The fire stick is 4k hdr and dd+ whats going on with the app for the live football all the other content plays in 4k

You've got me wondering whether I was watching the Liverpool match last night in 4K after all ! The studio pre-match stuff did look crystal clear though, even though the actual match footage wasn't so good. Is it possible it was 4K, even without the Dolby Vision ? It's a pain there's no obvious way to check - pressing the info button gave no information whatsoever.

Last edited:
Mikej. I see you too use an oldish Yamaha avr with the 950. I still can’t get mine to work on arc. Of course I use hdmi 2 and have arc and hdmi control on. The tv remote even controls the amp now for volume but I simply get no sound when set to av2 the input I set as arc input. Through optical on av1 no probs. Any thoughts?

Were you using your amp with ARC successfully on a previous TV ? I had mine connected to my previous plasma for around 5-6 years and I don't think I had to change anything on the amp for the new OLED - it was just a case of of a switching the cable over.

I'll PM you some of my amp settings in case they're any use.

You've got me wondering whether I was watching the Liverpool match last night in 4K after all ! The studio pre-match stuff did look crystal clear though, even though the actual match footage wasn't so good. Is it possible it was 4K, even without the Dolby Vision ? It's a pain there's no obvious way to check - pressing the info button gave no information whatsoever.
The picture in 1080p looked very good and the way i checked it was'nt 4k go in to main menu picture settings and if the luminance level and contrast are not a 100 your not in 4k uploading two photos one on the app and the other on the fire stick. You have to do this while you are watching the content.

Attachments

• 20191205_213021.jpg
    20191205_213021.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 137
  • 20191205_213952.jpg
    20191205_213952.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 132
The picture in 1080p looked very good and the way i checked it was'nt 4k go in to main menu picture settings and if the luminance level and contrast are not a 100 your not in 4k uploading two photos one on the app and the other on the fire stick. You have to do this while you are watching the content.
Contrast and luminance are indicators for hdr but not 4K.
Al

Contrast and luminance are indicators for hdr but not 4K.
Al
It also flashed up on the screen at the start 3840×2160 uhd. On the fire stick just 1080p on the tv app.

I just got hold of Braveheart 4k which is supposed to have Dolby Vision however when I play the disc I only get normal HDR detected.

I have a UB450 with the Audio HDMI going into my AVR and the Audio+Video output going to HDMI 1 on my GZ950. I've reviewed all of the settings on the blu ray player and the TV and it seems like it should be working. Does anyone here have the same setup as me?

I just got hold of Braveheart 4k which is supposed to have Dolby Vision however when I play the disc I only get normal HDR detected.

I have a UB450 with the Audio HDMI going into my AVR and the Audio+Video output going to HDMI 1 on my GZ950. I've reviewed all of the settings on the blu ray player and the TV and it seems like it should be working. Does anyone here have the same setup as me?

I just read up on it. The disc only has HDR10. The itunes digital copy has Dolby Vision.

Greetings all

Day 2 of ownership and I'm slowly getting to grips with my new GZ950 :)

Settled on Professional 2 setting for now.

Not wall mounted it yet but figured it wise to test everything before revising my bracket set up and boxing up my trusty old KRP 500a...

I have a mainly legacy based set-up and my current AV processor (Tag Mclaren AV32r DP) doesn't have HDMI so I've gone for a 6 x 2 Lindy HDMI Switcher for now to get me up and running.

I've got my Blu-ray, Firestick 4K and Sky HD all working OK but can't seem to get the Firestick to deliver 4K to the TV (I'm guessing, given the 950's showing 3840 x 2160 @ 60Hz that the TV's upscaling?) yet when I fire up the 950's on-board Netflix app it's showing Dolby Vision on appropriate content so not quite sure what's occurring there. Need to get my mitts on a 4k player and a disc to test further I think.

One hitch experienced tonight, half way through watching 'The Upside' on Netflix through my Firestick, was the dreaded crackles :zonked:

I checked my software status and spotted my 950 was running Software version 3.176 so I updated to 3.202 and the rest of the movie was crackle free so hopefully that'll be the end of that...

I'd like to test the screen for the 'usual potential OLED flaws' before I get too attached to the 950 and start drilling new holes in my wall so is there any kind soul who could elaborate on what tests I can carry out myself please?

I've seen mention of white tests, banding checks and the like but must confess I don't know how to check these things but I'd like to sooner rather than later...

Thanks in advance for any tips and advice...

Could someone please tell me what size screws the 55 inch GZ950 takes in its VESA mount holes?

Mine is arriving Monday, and it’s taking the place of a Panasonic CX802 so I’m hoping the holes will be the same size.

I've got my Blu-ray, Firestick 4K and Sky HD all working OK but can't seem to get the Firestick to deliver 4K to the TV (I'm guessing, given the 950's showing 3840 x 2160 @ 60Hz that the TV's upscaling?) yet when I fire up the 950's on-board Netflix app it's showing Dolby Vision on appropriate content so not quite sure what's occurring there.

If the TV is showing that resolution, then it's receiving a 4K signal from the Firestick I would have thought.

So I think I know what judder is (jumpy panning) but stutter and SOE, now not so sure. What is the name of the motion problem and processing feature for when you see an outline of several duplicated images of a moving item or person? I am looking for a good setting for SD and Pro 1 and 2 aren't cutting it whereas THX and Normal are but this multi-image thing isn't looking like it should be there at all.

Could someone please tell me what size screws the 55 inch GZ950 takes in its VESA mount holes?

Mine is arriving Monday, and it’s taking the place of a Panasonic CX802 so I’m hoping the holes will be the same size.

I think they are M6 - the M8 bolts from my old GT30 plasma are definitely too big.

Searching this thread for 'bolt' would normally give you the answer, but the search feature doesn't seem to be working... at least on my phone at the moment.

[edit] there is a problem with the site at the moment - try searching once it's fixed

Last edited:
What is the name of the motion problem and processing feature for when you see an outline of several duplicated images of a moving item or person? I am looking for a good setting for SD and Pro 1 and 2 aren't cutting it whereas THX and Normal are but this multi-image thing isn't looking like it should be there at all.

Choose the picture mode you prefer and then play around with the Intelligent Frame Creation settings. Many people prefer this set to 'Off' but increasing this setting might help you with the issue - I tend to leave it on 'Min'.

The higher the IFC setting, the more obvious the 'soap opera effect' will be. If you're not sure what this is, then set it to 'Max' and see if you can see a difference - it can make certain content look very strange !

Just to confirm they are M6, I got M6 30mm cross heads from Screwfix prod code 2266J

Greetings all

Day 2 of ownership and I'm slowly getting to grips with my new GZ950 :)

Settled on Professional 2 setting for now.

Not wall mounted it yet but figured it wise to test everything before revising my bracket set up and boxing up my trusty old KRP 500a...

I have a mainly legacy based set-up and my current AV processor (Tag Mclaren AV32r DP) doesn't have HDMI so I've gone for a 6 x 2 Lindy HDMI Switcher for now to get me up and running.

I've got my Blu-ray, Firestick 4K and Sky HD all working OK but can't seem to get the Firestick to deliver 4K to the TV (I'm guessing, given the 950's showing 3840 x 2160 @ 60Hz that the TV's upscaling?) yet when I fire up the 950's on-board Netflix app it's showing Dolby Vision on appropriate content so not quite sure what's occurring there. Need to get my mitts on a 4k player and a disc to test further I think.

One hitch experienced tonight, half way through watching 'The Upside' on Netflix through my Firestick, was the dreaded crackles :zonked:

I checked my software status and spotted my 950 was running Software version 3.176 so I updated to 3.202 and the rest of the movie was crackle free so hopefully that'll be the end of that...

I'd like to test the screen for the 'usual potential OLED flaws' before I get too attached to the 950 and start drilling new holes in my wall so is there any kind soul who could elaborate on what tests I can carry out myself please?

I've seen mention of white tests, banding checks and the like but must confess I don't know how to check these things but I'd like to sooner rather than later...

Thanks in advance for any tips and advice...

there are a number of things on YouTube, various ‘oled tests’. In the end though I was advised to look at ‘normal content’. I watched a few episodes of ‘our planet’ on Netflix as the content is about the best streaming you can get, and there is everything from brilliant white scenes in the Arctic, to deserts, jungles, oceans.
since I couldn’t see anything obvious there, I figured that anything else was probably more down to the content, rather than the set.

Can't decide between the gz950 and Sony AF8. Can anyone explain the benefits of one over the other?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom