Panasonic GZ1500 (TX-55GZ1500B) 4K OLED TV Review & Comments

generalgizmo

Think if get the money I'll check it out in Richersounds demo room so I can play with settings again in a dark room so closer to a home environment and buy there.. not so keen on bright shop floors..

HenryHonda

Another very informative review. Thanks.

TPS offer a 7 year warranty and have already had the 55" GZ950/ GZ1000 at £1595 and the 65" at £2295.

Paul
TPS a possibility - but I prefer dealing with a retailer who has a store presence nearby. I have always had great service from RS in Norwich, and great response on the one occasion in fifteen years when I had a faulty piece of kit :)

MechaGodzilla

Standard Member
Would of liked more info on the inbuilt soundbar quality tbh, also no mention of the Amazon Prime bug (are Panasonic ever going to fix this !), as some one else says no mention of the lack of a 7 day epg now it now longer supports freesat and no mention of what audio codecs the ne Panasonic can and cannot play.
Yeah, that's about the only thing I feel is "missing" from the review. It'd be nice to hear more about the sound aspect of the TV, since the integrated soundbar is the main selling point of this model over its little brothers.

shelly2005

Standard Member
Can't watch the video but can't see any mention of whether eARC is supported? Can live without other HDMI 2.1 features but not that

Josito77

Standard Member
I do not understand why Panasonic TVs have hardwired power cords. Having seen the picture improvements on my parents's modest Samsung 40' MU6400 when I changed the power cord to an 2m £100 entry level one, honestly, it is unbelievable that you can not do that on a Panasonic one.

Amar1

Would of liked more info on the inbuilt soundbar quality tbh, also no mention of the Amazon Prime bug (are Panasonic ever going to fix this !), as some one else says no mention of the lack of a 7 day epg now it now longer supports freesat and no mention of what audio codecs the ne Panasonic can and cannot play.
What's the Amazon Prime bug?

BrightonChris

Distinguished Member
I wish someone would just do a top spec panel like the old days. No freeview rubbish smart apps soundbar etc....
The panel wouldn't be any better if you removed the soundbar. And the apps are now essential. You couldn't sell a television without them, even if set top boxes can fulfil the same function.

mtenga

Distinguished Member
The panel wouldn't be any better if you removed the soundbar.
But it might be cheaper. Panasonic used to sell just panels on occasion.

I'll never switch on the smart apps, tuner or speaker on my 950.

generalgizmo

I wish someone would just do a top spec panel like the old days. No freeview rubbish smart apps soundbar etc....
No problems with smart apps YouTube Netflix but no speakers would be handy like old kuros or even last yrs fz802 OLED.. plenty have surround setups and save money on something I do not need or want

mtenga

Distinguished Member
You're living in a dream world if you think they'd make a set especially for enthusiasts and charge less.
They certainly used to. No dream, just cheaper ;)

But clearly there is more profit in selling fully loaded TVs than panels.

Waynej

There is no eARC. Only ALLM.
Shame, that's easily the most useless feature for them to have opted for. I'm assuming they had a choice of features to support just based on reading that Sony can do eARC without the full HDMI 2.1 spec.

The only benefit to ALLM that I can see is if you're someone who uses your console as a Blu-ray Player, then it has some convenience for users when switching between games and films.

I think most who go for the GZ range however will have a dedicated UHD Blu-ray Player to take advantage of Dolby Vision/HDR10+, which the Xbox One X/S does not support for discs. Although I guess DV/HDR10+ disc support will likely be present for the next-gen PS5/Xbox, so it may yet prove useful next year.

In my case I have a 2018 FZ OLED paired with the UB420 UHD Player for HDR10+, and my consoles like Xbox One X and PS4 Pro are set in Game mode, and they stay set in that permanently.

ALLM just seems like a rather insignificant addition in my view when compared to the alternatives of eARC or VRR.

Last edited:

thedoswells

TPS a possibility - but I prefer dealing with a retailer who has a store presence nearby. I have always had great service from RS in Norwich, and great response on the one occasion in fifteen years when I had a faulty piece of kit :)
I've always had the same from the Norwich RS, but interestingly this time around when i went in a few weeks back they were advising me strongly against OLED, whatever my uses of the tv. They were so against it, in the end i bought from the Norwich JL... good luck though...

bogart99

Both RS and JL should match this.

bogart99

I do not understand why Panasonic TVs have hardwired power cords. Having seen the picture improvements on my parents's modest Samsung 40' MU6400 when I changed the power cord to an 2m £100 entry level one, honestly, it is unbelievable that you can not do that on a Panasonic one.
£100 for a 2m cord or am I missing something?

bogart99

Am I losing the plot here? probably yes. "lack of a 7 day epg now it now longer supports freesat"
I found odd there is no 7day EPG but why not? What has it got to do with freesat. I use a standalone sat receiver, VU+, and that has a 7 day epg for all channels freesat and others.

tigertimtim

Am I losing the plot here? probably yes. "lack of a 7 day epg now it now longer supports freesat"
I found odd there is no 7day EPG but why not? What has it got to do with freesat. I use a standalone sat receiver, VU+, and that has a 7 day epg for all channels freesat and others.
Previous generations of Panasonic Oled had inbuilt Freesat, thereby allowing easy and quick access to channels and there respective 7 day epg.....this years GZ series do not have Freesat so the most you will get from a satellite connection re Epg will be now and next info.

Yes people work around this by using Sky, Virgin, Freesat receiver or like yourself an enigma 2 VU+ box, i myself have a 4k Vu+zero box but thoose boxes aren't the quickest to boot up (up to 5 mins from deep standby) and it becomes a pita if you just wanted to check whats on tv at that moment.

On LG's Oleds the inbuilt Freesat is a very usual feature and much quicker and easier to use than other alternatives.

simonblue

Distinguished Member
Burn in really - and reckoning there were other key advantages of QLED over OLED, like brightness etc... I didnt feel these issues were really an issue for me - but I felt was getting very unbalanced advice...
The same advice i got from John Lewis,i guess the big thing is with burn in,no manufacturer will g/tee it won't happen,and i suppose it's the shops who have to deal with the customer if by chance it does.

Samv0808

Distinguished Member
I’m on my 3rd OLED and never had any burn in. In fact my original eg960v from about 4 or 5 years ago it’s sole purpose now is in the games room for PS4 for the kids and that’s got no burn in.

Then again I dont use my OLED like a torch (as much as you can) and have them calibrated. If you run an OLED in vivid mode or over bright then Probably there is more risk and should consider why you are getting one. Your settings preferences are as much a part of the equation as the content you watch IMhO

furryhobnob

Distinguished Member
The same advice i got from John Lewis,i guess the big thing is with burn in,no manufacturer will g/tee it won't happen,and i suppose it's the shops who have to deal with the customer if by chance it does.
I'd say thunderbugs on a lcd is more common than burn in on an oled, can burn in happen, yes it can..... But it generally depends on your viewing habits and how often you do a compensation cycle, I've had 3 oleds and none of them have had burn in, where as I've got 2 Panasonic dx902's and both have thunderbugs in them as the panels are not sealed like they are in oleds

simonblue

Distinguished Member
I'd say thunderbugs on a lcd is more common than burn in on an oled, can burn in happen, yes it can..... But it generally depends on your viewing habits and how often you do a compensation cycle, I've had 3 oleds and none of them have had burn in, where as I've got 2 Panasonic dx902's and both have thunderbugs in them as the panels are not sealed like they are in oleds
Thanks,i've not heard of thunderbugs ?,but just spoken to my local richer sounds,and they say with my viewing habits,as others have said i shouldn't have a problem with burn in,as the the pixel will be switched off when watching 2.35.1 movies.
Decision,do i stick with what i got my Panasonic 902 for a few more years,or go for an OLED now,or wait till Samsung Q90 drop in price :eek::D.

PS,Found out about thunderbugs,not had that problem :)

BrightonChris

Distinguished Member
do i stick with what i got my Panasonic 902 for a few more years,or go for an OLED
I've got the 902 and keen to get an OLED. I've deviced to go with a LGC8. I won't go back to Panasonic after some very poor after sales experience, and one firmware update in 3 years for the 902 says it all really.

Trending threads

Latest News

Cleer FLOW II headphones get Google Assistant
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Denon introduces DHT-S216 All-in-One soundbar
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Audio legend Ken Ishiwata passes
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sky Elstree Studio investment to underpin European productions