Panasonic GZ1500 (TX-55GZ1500B) 4K OLED TV Review & Comments

BrightonChris

Distinguished Member
I have been keen as well,yep not to many updates for the Panasonic 902,but to be fair not really had to many problems :)
That's true. The black smearing issue I suppose is a hardware limitation, but the OS is a little antiquated and miles behind WebOS I'd say.

Derek S-H

Distinguished Member
bought the ez952 in a 55 in some ways regret not going bigger but be interesting the difference between the ez952 and newer models..
Doh!

We told you at the time to go for the 65", but you wouldn't listen to us!:facepalm:;)

In fairness to you, you agonised over your decision and you did say your viewing distance was so short that you would have to physically turn your head to following any panning shots across the screen.

Does 55" feel too small now or have you made changes to your room to accommodate 65"?

888SNG

Standard Member
Hdmi 2.1 on TV for 8K with Sony X Reality upscale for gaming make eye candy sense.
Be better than 4K native presentation and be retinal pin sharp at any viewing distance and screen size.
For 4K gaming 60fps is the sheer limit for console games in 2019/20.
2.1 hdmi is a too big a pipe for current console gaming.
Not having 2.1 hdmi is not really a TV deal breaker!
2020 when it will be a real issue.

Last edited:

Topmetom 2

Dream world? My first plasma was a panasonic , no speaker, no apps, nothing. Bloody brilliant. You want apps? Buy a box like me..sound? Use the amps etc we all buy...a panel alone would be so much better than all these fully loaded tv. Imagine how good a panel would be that concentrated totally on pictures not gagets

Waynej

I've got the 902 and keen to get an OLED. I've deviced to go with a LGC8. I won't go back to Panasonic after some very poor after sales experience, and one firmware update in 3 years for the 902 says it all really.
While we can all throw criticism at their dated OS, besides this, is the lack of Panasonic updates really a negative?

While LG can be applauded for acting on user reported issues and rectifying them after half a year... at least with regards to the flashing/chrominance overshoot fiasco, several journalists have recently reported that Panasonic nipped this in the bud even before they released the 2018 FZ series. That's an update before we even knew we needed an update!

In contrast to LG, I was forced to return my C8 as LG were refusing to acknowledge the issue at the time. Still, props to them for eventually seeing it through with an update and putting it right for others. There was also a dimming HDR bug just before that, which that too got patched, so a positive, but they seemed to have a lot of issues initially that impacted owners for a significant amount of time.

I can't praise Panny too much, as it's clear their new GZ range is facing some issues with the TV's audio - it may be telling to see just how quick/slow Panasonic act to get this resolved.

I would expect it's a matter of weeks rather than several months though, time will tell.

steviedr

Distinguished Member
Previous generations of Panasonic Oled had inbuilt Freesat, thereby allowing easy and quick access to channels and there respective 7 day epg.....this years GZ series do not have Freesat so the most you will get from a satellite connection re Epg will be now and next info.

Yes people work around this by using Sky, Virgin, Freesat receiver or like yourself an enigma 2 VU+ box, i myself have a 4k Vu+zero box but thoose boxes aren't the quickest to boot up (up to 5 mins from deep standby) and it becomes a pita if you just wanted to check whats on tv at that moment.

On LG's Oleds the inbuilt Freesat is a very usual feature and much quicker and easier to use than other alternatives.
This is a shame as I don’t have an aerial (yes I can get one but involves knocking thought brick walls ie...not going to happen), my LG uses oddly the freeviewplay UI when I manually tuned in satellite (didn’t want Freesat as they binned C4HD).
I wonder does the Panasonic have a manual sat tuning, so not Freesat, Astra 19.2E and if it then (like the LG) uses the freeview play guide?

Below is a Satellite manual tuning on the LG but it shows freeview play UI - odd but a good workaround for CH4 HD
720B0144-66AE-458C-B81B-2CD9800DA38E.jpeg

steviedr

Distinguished Member
Cracking review Phil, 23+ mins...are you sure it’s easier than the written review ;)
Love it though - appreciate all the work!

Looks like Panasonic are heading for the Best Buy for the GZ950 going by the GZ1500 review, given the 950 is cheaper than LGs offering, it’s looking like a bargain (in AV members terms ££).

Very much looking forward to the flagship review, from what forum members have shown so far, uniformity is excellent, something I shouldn’t have to, but am prepared to pay for with my next tv.

Can you bend the ears of the Panasonic reps at IFA, a good few of us want the custom panel without the audio additions - hopefully next year along with the new 2.1 chipset!

I think ALLM is a good call, the games industry is bigger than the film industry (or so I believe), many of us love film, but also games. The 950 is looking like the 2019 bargain, so for gamers it’s certainly tempting. Ever since I heard about the concept on last years Samsung, it was a must for me.

bogart99

Previous generations of Panasonic Oled had inbuilt Freesat, thereby allowing easy and quick access to channels and there respective 7 day epg.....this years GZ series do not have Freesat so the most you will get from a satellite connection re Epg will be now and next info.

Yes people work around this by using Sky, Virgin, Freesat receiver or like yourself an enigma 2 VU+ box, i myself have a 4k Vu+zero box but thoose boxes aren't the quickest to boot up (up to 5 mins from deep standby) and it becomes a pita if you just wanted to check whats on tv at that moment.

On LG's Oleds the inbuilt Freesat is a very usual feature and much quicker and easier to use than other alternatives.
My VU+ box is fine seems to be quick to get its act together instant epg.

tigertimtim

This is a shame as I don’t have an aerial (yes I can get one but involves knocking thought brick walls ie...not going to happen), my LG uses oddly the freeviewplay UI when I manually tuned in satellite (didn’t want Freesat as they binned C4HD).
I wonder does the Panasonic have a manual sat tuning, so not Freesat, Astra 19.2E and if it then (like the LG) uses the freeview play guide?

Below is a Satellite manual tuning on the LG but it shows freeview play UI - odd but a good workaround for CH4 HD
View attachment 1183728
Yes the Panasonic GZ's have 2 satellite inputs for manual sat tuning, the epg apperently only shows now and next though....i dont normally use Freeview as the PQ is poor though using there Epg might be a workaround for using as a quick tv guide.

BrightonChris

Distinguished Member
Dream world? My first plasma was a panasonic , no speaker, no apps, nothing. Bloody brilliant. You want apps? Buy a box like me..sound? Use the amps etc we all buy...a panel alone would be so much better than all these fully loaded tv. Imagine how good a panel would be that concentrated totally on pictures not gagets
Like I said, removing the speakers and the OS wouldn't make the panel any better. And it's not 10 years ago, you can't sell a television with no smarts. No smarts would mean no software updates. How many enthusiasts would risk buying a television with that limitation?

Topmetom 2

Like I said, removing the speakers and the OS wouldn't make the panel any better. And it's not 10 years ago, you can't sell a television with no smarts. No smarts would mean no software updates. How many enthusiasts would risk buying a television with that limitation?
Usb? Any way it’s irrelevant.

steviedr

Distinguished Member
Panasonic have always received negative review feedback regarding their epg (looks like the same one that’s been used for over a decade). Is this their way of removing that feedback - simply dropping it..

2ch Man

peahead

generalgizmo

Doh!

We told you at the time to go for the 65", but you wouldn't listen to us!:facepalm:;)

In fairness to you, you agonised over your decision and you did say your viewing distance was so short that you would have to physically turn your head to following any panning shots across the screen.

Does 55" feel too small now or have you made changes to your room to accommodate 65"?
I know .. I know... :facepalm: ha ha.. thanks..
I think part of it is if this new Panasonic is that good an upgrade would be better if its bigger.. I've sat in a couple of the other seats and think I could poss go larger.. I guess I have got use to the size too.. on letterbox films feel definitely can go bigger but whilst a full screen it seems fine.. I moved the central seats back a few inches ..:rolleyes: so... ???

THX1138UK

The power supply is at the opposite side of the rear panel and is hardwired.

Oh no. I was expecting to plug in an IEC 13 (kettle lead). Just like I do with my Panasonic Plasma. All my power cables are buried in the wall...

I guess I can just cut off the UK plug and a fit a IEC 13 female socket, and connect this to my existing IEC 13 plug - please tell me there is no separate power brick???

Also, I'm assuming I can use use my existing standard (large) VESA Mount to wall mount any 2019 Panasonic OLED?. There no mention of this in the review.

I'm assuming that all 2019 Panasonic OLEDs are the same?

Thanks & regards,
James.

Last edited:

generalgizmo

The power supply is at the opposite side of the rear panel and is hardwired.

Oh no. I was expecting to plug in an IEC 13 (kettle lead). Just like I do with my Panasonic Plasma. All my power cables are buried in the wall...

I guess I can just cut off the UK plug and a fit a IEC 13 female socket, and connect this to my existing IEC 13 plug - please tell me there is no separate power brick???

Also, I'm assuming I can use use my existing standard (large) VESA Mount to wall mount any 2019 Panasonic OLED?. There no mention of this in the review.

Thanks & regards,
James.
Only thing be bit concerned about cant remember where I actually saw it is sometimes invalidates any sort of warranty if you go cutting off any plug ..??
Happened to someone a while ago.. had panel problems and when manufacturer found out plug had been altered they used the cable (tampering) as a get out..

golden phoenix

Distinguished Member
No he was a Sony man,showing me the new Sony OLED,its only when i told him my viewing habit he mention image retention,and maybe OLED wasn't for.
I told him i have a Panasonic 902,he said that was still a great TV,and to hold of as newer tec was just down the road.
the worst salesman in history..i would be telling you its the dogs bollox and to buy one immediately

Minigill

Thanks & regards,
James.
Here you go:

950.png

THX1138UK

Only thing be bit concerned about cant remember where I actually saw it is sometimes invalidates any sort of warranty if you go cutting off any plug ..??
Happened to someone a while ago.. had panel problems and when manufacturer found out plug had been altered they used the cable (tampering) as a get out..
It's a very flimsy excuse and unreasonable grounds to a refuse a warranty claim, but I'll make sure that I get it in writing that cutting off the plug will not invalidate the warranty. Sadly some companies try to riddle-out of their responsibilities...

Alternatively, I might see if I can find a UK Plug to IEC 13 adapter, but not sure I'll have room for this behind the telly...

generalgizmo

It's a very flimsy excuse and unreasonable grounds to a refuse a warranty claim, but I'll make sure that I get it in writing that cutting off the plug will not invalidate the warranty. Sadly some companies try to riddle-out of their responsibilities...

Alternatively, I might see if I can find a UK Plug to IEC 13 adapter, but not sure I'll have room for this behind the telly...

Yep.. true I know.. just means can flat out get involved in any problems with the panel.. hope works out ok..

OledMasterRace

Thanks for the review Phil,one big ? for me,speaking to a salesman in John Lewis,and telling him my viewing habit,he reckon OLED were not for me due to my viewing habits (image retention)

99% of my viewing is movie only,blu ray or 4K UHD,maybe the odd bit of netflix,as a fair amount of movies come in a ratio of 2.35.1,and i tend to watch 4 to 6 hours of movies a day,and every now again up to 8 hours.
He said on any OLED i could very easily get image retention,due to the black bars being their on nearly all my viewing ?

What would your opinion be,is he right ?

Sounds like b*llocks to me, 99% of my viewing on my B6 is black bar movies/Netflix and I haven’t had a single issue in 3 years! Seriously not even mild retention.

Buckster666

What the differences between this over the 950 and what does it lack compared to the 2000?

kahlua

What the differences between this over the 950 and what does it lack compared to the 2000?
this has built in soundbar,2000 has atmos sound and custom panel.

rjames1701

This is a real issue for me as I have my VT60 wall mounted and was hoping to use the existing cable that I’ve hidden within the cavity. Shame. I may well now go for AG9.

Gazgum

This is a real issue for me as I have my VT60 wall mounted and was hoping to use the existing cable that I’ve hidden within the cavity. Shame. I may well now go for AG9.
You haven’t got/can’t make space for a single socket in the cavity?

rjames1701

You haven’t got/can’t make space for a single socket in the cavity?
Unfortunately not. I have about 5cm space between plasterboard and breeze block. I had to channel out a groove to put existing kettle plug in and reskim. It’s now been decorated so no more diy...orders!!! If I was able to unscrew cable from tv I could possibly thread cable through existing conduit but no room for plugs, just hdmi, usb size.

Trending threads

Latest News

Cleer FLOW II headphones get Google Assistant
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Denon introduces DHT-S216 All-in-One soundbar
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Audio legend Ken Ishiwata passes
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sky Elstree Studio investment to underpin European productions