Panasonic GZ2000 OLED Owners Thread

Updated: Do you hear speaker crackling when watching the GZ2000

• I still have crackling even after the latest version of the firmware

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Some good threads for those interested in setting up MA, VUDU or US iTunes account outside the US on an ATV4K

The ATV is becoming more and more attractive a proposition with each post here. :smashin:

Paul
It’s not without its issues, read the the product thread. Lip sync issue are reported with numerous receiver brands and it’s not great for Amazon. I sent one back this weekend but I do like the device overall.

It’s not without its issues, read the the product thread. Lip sync issue are reported with numerous receiver brands and it’s not great for Amazon. I sent one back this weekend but I do like the device overall.
Good to know, thanks.
I don't have an AVR and will use the Prime Video app in the TV for Amazon content. Currently, it has a very specific use case for me i.e. AppleTV+ but, having access to Vudu etc is something I could be interested in.
There was also a brief spike of interest to use the ATV as a test pattern generator for calibration purposes but, it's not bit accurate in any output format, so that's a bust.

Paul

VUDu has the added bonus that you can get all the Disney & Marvel movies in DV and Dolby AtMOs. Something iTunes won’t do.

You would still need a device to access those movies in a VUDu app though.

And then there is Movies anywhere that sits in the middle and will sync a majority of your content between services like ITunes and VUDu if you also set up a us ITunes account.

I have a UK and US ITunes account, VUDu, movies anywhere and where I purchase varies on the best place to watch.

All accessed through either the US or UK ITunes account on my ATV4K (you can only install the VUDu and Movies anywhere app from the US store)

VUDu requires a VPN (or a working Smart DNS provider) to acess

It#s not easy spending money is it! :) .... trying to get hold of up to date decent content here in the 51st state isn't a walk in the park it seems. But the options you mention are all solid ways forward. Thanks for advising ... going to read up and try all those.

I am just trying the Amazon prime Jack Ryan program. it flashed up Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos in the top RH corner first time played, but not since. Nice to see ... some strange mental programming that made me feel I'd got what I paid for :)

Picture is good but cannot yet claim to be blown away by the sound. Is far from poor but I guess as limited as you might expect from speaker system that size. Maybe my expectation was too high in reality but I don't see/feel sound bouncing off ceiling, walls like I did first time put my old 7.1 home cinema in.

Maybe I need spend more time playing .... it is pretty well straight out the box and on the ironing board!

Just out of interest, the guy you had do your calibration, do they do the sound as well?

Between iTunes, Netflix and Amazon, the streaming quality is as follows: iTunes > Netflix ~= Amazon
So Netflix and Amazon are pretty much on par with mediocre streaming quality for 4K content. The iTunes blows them away in terms of streaming quality as the 4K content there is very good. The titles I've watched had little to no compression artifacts and no sign of banding. The Dolby Atmos is a plus for us GZ2000 owners with the Atmos speakers.

In terms of money, of course Netflix is the cheapest with just a monthly subscription to pay, while on Amazon you have to rent/buy each title and for iTunes you have to rent/buy each title plus buy the ATV4K box. But nothing good comes cheap, does it?

It would seem the new Apple TV+ offers very good quality 4K streams, but didn't have the chance yet to check for myself. Also, there's not much content available yet, though I'm sure that will change in time.

Sam pointed out above the Movies Anywhere streaming service. I just want to say that it's a VERY good streaming service with extremely good picture quality content rivaling 4K discs. It comes extremely close. Actually, iTunes is pretty much in the same ballpark.

Unlike other services, it indeed syncs your library from various other services such as Amazon and iTunes (a full list on their website). But its major advantage is that they have their own streams, meaning that if you watch something of mediocre quality on Amazon, you will be able to watch the same thing on Movies Anywhere with much better quality. It's a shame that not all major studios have agreed to distribute their titles through them. For example, Lionsgate has not signed up with them and they have a lot of titles. A full list of their 4K titles here.

However, it's only for US residents and I'm not sure if even a VPN can help you access it.

Can't attest for Vudu as I haven't watched any of their streams.

Very interesting analysis. Many thanks for that, again going to try those options. So some options, some trickery to get some of the better stuff and maybe some waiting involved.

I was hoping for more but we all in the same boat. Interestingly I'm just doing a test of a hooky downloaded copy of Bladerunner 2049 and a full fat purchased UHD copy right now. Shoudl be interesting see the difference. neither Atmos mind.

It#s not easy spending money is it! :) .... trying to get hold of up to date decent content here in the 51st state isn't a walk in the park it seems. But the options you mention are all solid ways forward. Thanks for advising ... going to read up and try all those.

I am just trying the Amazon prime Jack Ryan program. it flashed up Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos in the top RH corner first time played, but not since. Nice to see ... some strange mental programming that made me feel I'd got what I paid for :)

Picture is good but cannot yet claim to be blown away by the sound. Is far from poor but I guess as limited as you might expect from speaker system that size. Maybe my expectation was too high in reality but I don't see/feel sound bouncing off ceiling, walls like I did first time put my old 7.1 home cinema in.

Maybe I need spend more time playing .... it is pretty well straight out the box and on the ironing board!

Just out of interest, the guy you had do your calibration, do they do the sound as well?
Steve Kemp does sound calibration as well as video!

Yeah I think it might be worth doing. As I say far from poor just not as life changing as I thought it might be .... unlike the ironing board :)

I'm just watching the hooky Bladerunner and UHD Bladerunner in parallel. Have to say both look (and sound) great. I'm sure there is a difference but at the mo it's not night and day. Early days but does look and sound a treat.

There's nothing you can really do with the TV, to 'calibrate' sound. It doesn't have any room correction and only a rudimentary EQ.

It does have a feature called 'Space Tune' though, that can optimise the sound output of the TV, depending on it's location/ positioning.

ETA: Setting the 'Sound Field Creation' option can make a difference. Mine's set to 'Theater'.

Paul

There's nothing you can really do with the TV, to 'calibrate' sound. It doesn't have any room correction and only a rudimentary EQ.

It does have a feature called 'Space Tune' though, that can optimise the sound output of the TV, depending on it's location/ positioning.

ETA: Setting the 'Sound Field Creation' option can make a difference. Mine's set to 'Theater'.

Paul

Going to try that Paul, thanks. Yes did the Space Tune and in fairness the set is not yet in fixed position although not far off.

Checked this last night and it sets the audio format for external HDMI sources, as the name suggests but manual description confuses. When I changed it for HDMI 1 (Sky Q), no more DD reported using the info banner. So this, in combination with what we've experienced with apparent interference from Sky Q and Virgin boxes, would explain why it works in eliminating the sound anomoly with inbuilt apps.
I think for it to work correctly, you'll need to set the Sky Q/ Virgin box to output PCM too. Will check that tonight, if I get a chance.

That aside, for me the better workaround is just to put the STB's in standby, when using Netflix et al. The 'interference' does seem sporadic though. 🤔

Paul
I'd like to report this problem to Panasonic as well. Does someone have an email address or alternative method of reporting it to them ? You can PM me if you prefer. Thanks.

I'd like to report this problem to Panasonic as well. Does someone have an email address or alternative method of reporting it to them ? You can PM me if you prefer. Thanks.
Probably best to email them, so there's a 'paper' trail.

Paul

Probably best to email them, so there's a 'paper' trail.

Paul
Many thanks. I'll do that now.

Yeah I think it might be worth doing. As I say far from poor just not as life changing as I thought it might be .... unlike the ironing board :)

I'm just watching the hooky Bladerunner and UHD Bladerunner in parallel. Have to say both look (and sound) great. I'm sure there is a difference but at the mo it's not night and day. Early days but does look and sound a treat.
Sorry chalk40 I think I misunderstood when you asked about sound calibration, thought you meant for a surround sound system not from the TV’s inbuilt system!

Is it related to which HDMI input was last active before launching the TV apps?

If I'm on HDMI 2 watching something on my Shield through my AVR and then launch one of the TV apps, the Shield remains on. This means that the TV turns off when the Shield goes into standby after the 10 minute screensaver period.

This is an entirely different behaviour to if I changed the HDMI input on the TV.

It's almost as though the apps are just an overlay on top of the HDMI signal. The signal to indicate "active source" has changed isn't sent. It might explain why CEC/audio from the HDMI device still interferes.

If that is the case, a work around could be switching to a different HDMI input before launching the inbuilt apps.

If that works then surely Panasonic can fix it with another firmware update.
I've tried that a few times now and it seems to work. I've got Sky Q on HDMI 1 with Roku on 2 & nvidia shield on HDMI 3. I selected the unused HDMI 4 and then launched Netflix & it played perfectly every time without the sound dropouts. I can also stop the dropouts immediately by cycling viera link on/off via the tv's setup menu. Presumably it's doing the same thing, disconnecting the Sky Q box from the conflicting HDMI input. I've emailed Panasonic this morning but I doubt this will get fixed anytime soon.

So I took the tv back,
Ordered a New one from panasonic store near me hoping and praying no issues at all! Saved myself £600 as I got this new one for £3700. I believe this to be the Black Friday deal if any one is looking to buy might help u save a little.
Thanks

Evening folks, many pages back I asked about low-mid range subs to work with the GZ2. Apolgies, two or three of you were kind enough to reply (including Sam I seem remember) but can I find those posts? You guessed it ....

Possible please to reply back with your sub options please? Is just to give a little depth rather than proper home theater. I remember a Dali one being mentioned but were others.

I need install it wirelessly (which it turns out I actually own such a device!!!) ... the marvells of my office!!!

I think this might bridge the gap I have with my sound expectations.

Many thanks in advance

Also (in my attempts to deprive kids from inheritances ... 5 of them!!!) I was looking at wireless keyboards to use on the GZ2.

Are a few on ebay ... look ok. And I read about the Logitech K830. Looks more premium.

Anyone tried and have any real world experiences?

Many thanks

Evening folks, many pages back I asked about low-mid range subs to work with the GZ2. Apolgies, two or three of you were kind enough to reply (including Sam I seem remember) but can I find those posts? You guessed it ....

Possible please to reply back with your sub options please? Is just to give a little depth rather than proper home theater. I remember a Dali one being mentioned but were others.

I need install it wirelessly (which it turns out I actually own such a device!!!) ... the marvells of my office!!!

Many thanks in advance
This is the one I have and is more than good enough for me attached to the TV

Cheers Sam, appreciated .... you replied before but think I was guilty of posting/asking before I was expecting to buy and lost the data.

Sounds a bit crap said this way, but the room with the GZ2 in it, is very much a second room for home theater stuff and don't want to turn it into anything more ... it's just a nice Winter room to view decent TV in. So adding a sensible ebay sourced sub into the mix will be just the job.

2020 is a major refurb of my home theater room, built and equipped back in 2001 can you believe and untouched to date. Roll on CES 2020 for 2020 HDMI 2.1 Pana panel announcements!!!! I've been given permission by the owner of the ironing board!!! :)

many thanks

One on ebay right now for £280 offers ..... foot tapping fast ... more wine needed .... where's that 'Buy Now' button ....Oops....

Last edited:

Many thanks in advance
I have a Rel T5i sub and Rel Arrow wireless transmitter bought from RS.

Also (in my attempts to deprive kids from inheritances ... 5 of them!!!) I was looking at wireless keyboards to use on the GZ2.

Are a few on ebay ... look ok. And I read about the Logitech K830. Looks more premium.

Anyone tried and have any real world experiences?

Many thanks
I use a Logitech K830 Illuminated Living Room Wireless Keyboard which works like a charm.

I have a Rel T5i sub and Rel Arrow wireless transmitter bought from RS.

And you sir were the other person kind enough to reply before. :)

Strange both the Dali and Rel are similarly priced and seem have a lot of suppliers Italy based. Is it a platform share with the Dali? Both seems in the sweet spot. Many thanks

I use a Logitech K830 Illuminated Living Room Wireless Keyboard which works like a charm.

... and I think that's the direction I've leaning to. I bought a K400 to go with a budget Pana in a bedroom and was a bit disappointed in that. Not sure I stuck with it so much. Yes will be giving that go. Cheers

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom