Panasonic GZ2000 OLED Owners Thread

Updated: Do you hear speaker crackling when watching the GZ2000

• I still have crackling even after the latest version of the firmware

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Pro 2. I have red gain reduced a bit in the white balance settings. Everything else is on default settings on Pro 2.
That's what I use on my GZ950 thanks

Thanks. I think I’ll stick with my ATV4K 4K DB version until it’s out individually. Nice set that is though. Very nice
It makes sense to wait for the individual releases, unless you fancy nearly all of the films. The two that I really wanted were Lawrence and Gandhi.

I had $60 credit from the company through which I placed the order, which they gave me on account of a delayed shipment from a previous order. So the collection didn't cost me all that much and I really wanted to get it down after reading glowing reviews on the two films (Lawrence and Gandhi). Bet they will look stellar on your professionally calibrated GZ :)

Yeah. Dolby Vision. Was upgraded a few weeks back.
In that event, one might not see too much of a difference between the streamed version and disc version. Would make for an interesting comparison though.

In that event, one might not see too much of a difference between the streamed version and disc version. Would make for an interesting comparison though.
Might be the way the images were taken but, there looks to be a noticeable increase in detail, with the disc version, over the iTunes version. Depth of picture too. Look at the images with just Omar Sharif's face and the same with just O Toole's face.

Paul

I’ll def be getting the disc at some point so will indeed be interesting to see the difference.

I don’t know if it’s just some kind of placebo thing or my brain telling me it so I keep spending more money but I do feel generally a disc looks noticeably better that the 4K equivalent on streaming platforms currently.

So invariably I buy stuff on Disc and pick up the streaming version when cheap as a backup and for convenience or where no Disc is available. It’s even better when the movies go from HD to 4K for free when you have previously snapped up bargains for them.

If I want top viewing for my films I always go get the disc.

Might be the way the images were taken but, there looks to be a noticeable increase in detail, with the disc version, over the iTunes version. Depth of picture too. Look at the images with just Omar Sharif's face and the same with just O Toole's face.

Paul
Having had a closer look at the two sets of images, I think you’re right. Even the one on the beach, there’s greater dynamic range. The waves for instance seem to have a lot more shadow detail.

The fact that the film comes in two 100GB and 66GB UHD discs probably gives you an indication that the bitrates are extremely high.

Having had a closer look at the two sets of images, I think you’re right. Even the one on the beach, there’s greater dynamic range. The waves for instance seem to have a lot more shadow detail.

The fact that the film comes in two 100GB and 66GB UHD discs probably gives you an indication that the bitrates are extremely high.
Did a quick search on Google and the bitrate is 59.8 Mbps

With all that said then you have to take your hat off to Apple really. $4.99 I paid for it at some point in HD. Then it upgraded 4K Dolby Vision for free. There’s not a great deal in it but the disc is better and looks to have finer detail. Some of it is just not there on the streamed version.Not suprising considering. Interesting though how on the first image there are highlights on the vase on the streaming version but not in the disc version and the 515 is visible in the white paper on the drawer on the streaming version but not on the Disc but I guess that’s probably just camera difference?

Cue pointless comparison, different camera, different TV, it was pretty light when I took the photos and all that but I had great fun trying to match the scenes with @laknaths 🤓🤓 And def still want the disc!!! Hmmmmm. That set does look nice....
A8A58C52-28FA-44FA-BE2B-555ECCD3FAF2.jpeg
DFD7A632-7188-49E2-92A2-C0592A4DFDA8.jpeg
A87EB8BB-45E7-41BE-B2E5-54EB96DCC479.jpeg
48B6B96E-04C8-4A2E-A6C1-08E7E05B7C05.jpeg
84C0F309-C0FB-4849-8D20-3B5DDC5D67D2.jpeg
231607D8-C5B6-4DE8-B954-BC3313CA5C8C.jpeg

Last edited:
With all that said then you have to take your hat off to Apple really. $4.99 I paid for it at some point in HD. Then it upgraded 4K Dolby Vision for free. There’s not a great deal in it but the disc is better and looks to have finer detail. Some of it is just not there on the streamed version.Not suprising considering. Interesting though how on the first image there are highlights on the vase on the streaming version but not in the disc version and the 515 is visible in the white paper on the drawer on the streaming version but not on the Disc but I guess that’s probably just camera difference?

Cue pointless comparison, different camera, different TV, it was pretty light when I took the photos and all that but I had great fun trying to match the scenes with @laknaths 🤓🤓 And def still want the disc!!! Hmmmmm. That set does look nice....
View attachment 1328957View attachment 1328960View attachment 1328961View attachment 1328962View attachment 1328963View attachment 1328964
There's not much in it. You only paid $4.99, whereas I paid nearly 15 times that. Also, looking at your images side by side, I feel that my GZ is STILL pushing too much red 😄 might be due to camera, lighting and other differences though.

Just out of curiosity, how close is the actual image on the TV to the images you've posted, colour wise Sam?

There's not much in it. You only paid $4.99, whereas I paid nearly 15 times that. Also, looking at your images side by side, I feel that my GZ is STILL pushing too much red 😄 might be due to camera, lighting and other differences though.

Just out of curiosity, how close is the actual image on the TV to the images you've posted, colour wise Sam?
I wouldn’t say amazingly close. Skin tones are off abit. They are not so red in real life. I see a blue tinge to some parts where as in real life it’s more white. Still fun comparing though!

I would agree and say if your photos are accurate they might be a bit red. But calibration will fix that if that’s the case no sweat.

Is the disc DV or HDR10 only?

I wouldn’t say amazingly close. Skin tones are off abit. They are not so red in real life. I see a blue tinge to some parts where as in real life it’s more white. Still fun comparing though!

I would agree and say if your photos are accurate they might be a bit red. But calibration will fix that if that’s the case no sweat.

Is the disc DV or HDR10 only?
Need to go back and check if the phone pics exaggerated red tones. Like you said it was a fun comparison.

The disc is DV.

Sure enough the phone pics were over exaggerating the reds. Skin tones are a lot more neutral in colour in person.

Also some of the details in the first pic that appear to be missing in comparison to the streamed version, like the white dots on the vase and the numbers on the white paper are visible in person. The pics overexposed those areas.

Sure enough the phone pics were over exaggerating the reds. Skin tones are a lot more neutral in colour in person.

Also some of the details in the first pic that appear to be missing in comparison to the streamed version, like the white dots on the vase and the numbers on the white paper are visible in person. The pics overexposed those areas.
Great to hear. Can’t wait to get my hands on the disc at some point. I’ll be keeping my eyes pealed on the classifieds here too

Great to hear. Can’t wait to get my hands on the disc at some point. I’ll be keeping my eyes pealed on the classifieds here too
If you can nab it from someone selling the films individually, it will be well worth it. Gandhi looks spectacular as well, from the 10 minutes of testing I had. Gandhi too comes in two discs. Hoping to watch it over the coming weekend.

If you can nab it from someone selling the films individually, it will be well worth it. Gandhi looks spectacular as well, from the 10 minutes of testing I had. Gandhi too comes in two discs. Hoping to watch it over the coming weekend.
Well. Now Seriously looking at the collection anyway as it debuts in the U.K. next month. 4 films I really like and 2 I haven’t seen yet. Probably going to pre-order it for around £108. Will arrive just before my birthday!! Never seen Mr Smith goes to Washington or Dr. Strangelove.

Incidentally did you see that there seems to be potentially an issue with one of the special features disc. Took the below from a US Amazon review. Anyway back on topic of the GZ2000 while I go and pre-order.

“”UPDATE From Sony About Disc Replacement Program:
Due to a manufacturing error, the Columbia Classics 4K Ultra HD Collection currently includes an incorrect LAWRENCE OF ARABIA special features disc, which does not include the full amount of intended content. This does not affect the 4K UHD presentation of the film itself. The correct special features disc will be available to consumers who purchase the set, whether as a pre-order or as part of a future order, pending the eventual availability of sets that already have the correct disc included. Consumers should receive communication from their retailer about this corrected disc soon, but may contact the Sony Pictures Home Entertainment Customer Care team with any questions at [email protected] or 1-800-860-2878.””

Well. Now Seriously looking at the collection anyway as it debuts in the U.K. next month. 4 films I really like and 2 I haven’t seen yet. Probably going to pre-order it for around £108. Will arrive just before my birthday!! Never seen Mr Smith goes to Washington or Dr. Strangelove.
If you like 4 of the films it's a no brainier, and plus, it would make for a great birthday gift to yourself 😁

Incidentally did you see that there seems to be potentially an issue with one of the special features disc. Took the below from a US Amazon review. Anyway back on topic of the GZ2000 while I go and pre-order.
I had no idea. I didn't try out any of the special features discs as yet. Given the logistical constraints on account of my location, I'm not sure I can get it down for a reasonable price (shipping and taxes). I will have a word with the company that got it down for me and see if it's worthwhile trying to get the corrected disc when available. Thanks a lot for pointing this out.

Just about ready to pull the trigger on the 65GZ2000, reviews seem really positive! Time to upgrade from my 4 year old 58DX902 :D

Appreciate the question would have been asked 10s of times already, but to save me reading through 229 pages of comments, are there any glaringly obvious issues with this set i should be aware of? I won't be using the built in speakers.

Also, since I don't plan on shelling out for pro calibration, I'd really appreciate some users advice on SDR and HDR picture settings please. I've read pro1 and pro2 are near reference for day/night out of the box, but any tweeks to these would be great. Especially for HDR content, as PQ settings for non SDR content seem to be real thin on the ground.

Cheers :thumbsup:

EDIT : Ordered. Couldn't resist a sweet deal on an open box display unit for £2,150 :love:

Last edited:
are there any glaringly obvious issues with this set i should be aware of? I won't be using the built in speakers.
The crackle issue with the speakers was fixed with a software update. Other than that, there have not been any known issues as such.

I've read pro1 and pro2 are near reference for day/night out of the box, but any tweeks to these would be great. Especially for HDR content, as PQ settings for non SDR content seem to be real thin on the ground.
Yes Pro 1 and Pro 2 are the most accurate. I personally use Pro2 with luminance increased to 40 (default is 30). Upon calibration it has been found that the GZ OLEDs tend to push red quite a bit. I too found that the whites had an off putting "bronze haze". I reduced red gain a few notches and noticed an improvement with "cleaner" whites. Regardless, the pro presets are very good out of the box.

The crackle issue with the speakers was fixed with a software update. Other than that, there have not been any known issues as such.

Yes Pro 1 and Pro 2 are the most accurate. I personally use Pro2 with luminance increased to 40 (default is 30). Upon calibration it has been found that the GZ OLEDs tend to push red quite a bit. I too found that the whites had an off putting "bronze haze". I reduced red gain a few notches and noticed an improvement with "cleaner" whites. Regardless, the pro presets are very good out of the box.
That's great thank you. I found some advice listed within a review that suggested reducing R Gain by -5 and increasing G Gain to +2, so that ties in with what you've said :)

That's great thank you. I found some advice listed within a review that suggested reducing R Gain by -5 and increasing G Gain to +2, so that ties in with what you've said :)
Only thing to keep in mind is that there's variance between panels and thus, certain adjustments like white balance, CMS and gamma don't apply equally to all panels.

Only thing to keep in mind is that there's variance between panels and thus, certain adjustments like white balance, CMS and gamma don't apply equally to all panels.
Yes I appreciate that I'm going to have adjust by eye for my own set. It's just good to have a general concensus on what's likely to need tweeking before I start.

I don’t know if it’s just some kind of placebo thing or my brain telling me it so I keep spending more money but I do feel generally a disc looks noticeably better that the 4K equivalent on streaming platforms currently.
The current streaming codecs, and their compression algorithms are fantastic but, there's still a lot of data missing when compared to the physical disc and with displays as good as they are now, it's easier to see.

I wince every time I read a UHD BD review in case they mention a comparison with the streamed version. If they say the physical version has better PQ, I'll know it's going on the list to buy. :D

Paul

Some of it is just not there on the streamed version. Not surprising considering. Interesting though how on the first image there are highlights on the vase on the streaming version but not in the disc version and the 515 is visible in the white paper on the drawer on the streaming version but not on the Disc but I guess that’s probably just camera difference?
Interesting finds Sam. To me, that would suggest that a different version/ grading is used, with some detail 'blown out' on the disc version. I guess that could be down to how the TV's are set up too. Could be the camera too though, as you suggest. 🤔

Paul

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom