Panasonic GZ950 4K OLED Review & Comments

Checked mine yesterday and it found nothing. Has anyone updated and seen what's new?

Last edited:
I have just had my GZ 950 delivered on Xmas eve, it replaced an 55 ez952 which had 3500 hours on it including soccer and cricket. No screenburn. The ez was replaced by Panasonic under warranty as it suffered from intermittent picture break up, replacement 6 days, very pleased with the level of service.
@Kend3591 Can you describe the picture break up issue you are talking about please?

I'm surprised you got a TV replacement, is there a reason why they didn't just want to do a repair?

I am having an issue with my FZ802 where I get horizontal dots across the screen. They flash and move and even impact the TV settings menu and internal apps.

A few photos...

IMG_20191226_203621204_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

IMG_20191226_204901365.jpg

IMG_20191226_203310480.jpg

IMG_20191226_203256231.jpg

So a few minor complaints my left hand side of TV as a slight opening between the case.
Don't think its worth replacing, the otherside is flush to the case anybody else have this problem?

Also watched starship troopers on 4k UHD but with sound through the TV, showed dolby atmos but i had lip sync issues. When i changed the audio correction in the oppo after awhile it started lip sync issues again. Have you experienced this issue?

Attachments

• 20191229_131054.jpg
    20191229_131054.jpg
    238.1 KB · Views: 165
  • 20191229_131056.jpg
    20191229_131056.jpg
    239.8 KB · Views: 164
  • 20191229_131119.jpg
    20191229_131119.jpg
    218.1 KB · Views: 150
For those mentioning the lack of firmware update via the internet there is often a lag between the download becoming available and it being available OTT. Can run into weeks.

We are thinking of buying the Gz950 but I'm worried about gaming using my Xbox One X and scren burn, has anyone else avoided OLED TV's due to this?

Is there anything I would do if playing, for example RDR2 for hours, then turning the channel to watch TV, then off at night? Is there any Auto feature which can be turned on to sort anything which may lead to burn while the TV is on standby? Heard this could be Pixel Refresh

We are thinking of buying the Gz950 but I'm worried about gaming using my Xbox One X and scren burn, has anyone else avoided OLED TV's due to this?

Is there anything I would do if playing, for example RDR2 for hours, then turning the channel to watch TV, then off at night? Is there any Auto feature which can be turned on to sort anything which may lead to burn while the TV is on standby? Heard this could be Pixel Refresh
Not specific to the GZ, this applies to any OLED.
Pixel refresh aka panel maintenance runs automatically. You don’t need to switch anything on, just put the tv into standby.
It won’t sort out burn though. It will help to a degree, but not stop it. Display a static image for long enough and it will burn. I’ve no idea how long that may be though.
Its not something I’m prepared to risk on any OLED. I zoom static elements, like news channel tickers, off screen unless it‘s only for a few minutes and where that’s not possible I avoid the content all together.
Panasonic specifically warn about about video games. See page 3 of https://tda.panasonic-europe-servic...data/ALL/TX55GZ950B/QSG/972400/TQB0E2882U.pdf
Entirely your choice of course, but I can’t bring myself to risk deliberately wrecking my TV. Maybe I worry too much, but I feel it‘s a price worth paying for the other picture quality benefits and it’s got my LG OLED through 10000 hours of use with no ill effects whatsoever.

@Tascam122
Are you sure you have overscan set to off?
I know what you say about sharpness on LG. Some material look sharper especially with HDR but that's not necessarily a better image. It has just more pop and it s their way to tune their sets.

Any other picture option will alter the original and will add some artifacts in the end. They play with gama tracking giving more pop to the picture but distorting fine dark or white details.
Also a tuned sharp image usually add noise and ringing to edges.

Overscan is off.

Update:

In this situation, it helps to get more detail and sharpness option "resolution remaster".

After setting to "auto", the image is sharper and better details are displayed.

Thanks for that, I have noticed on Page 3:

'To avoid image retention, the screen may become
dim when the motionless image is displayed. This
is not a malfunction. The brightness of the screen
returns to the previous level when the active image is
displayed'

So the TV will Dim if the screen isnt used for a certain time, so this should help stop image burn?

EDIT: Actually, I think I'm going to give up on looking at OLED TV's, I will stick with the LED type for now

If the Burn in was covered by Warranty, it would be a no brainer, but it's not!

Last edited:
@Kend3591 Can you describe the picture break up issue you are talking about please?

I'm surprised you got a TV replacement, is there a reason why they didn't just want to do a repair?

I am having an issue with my FZ802 where I get horizontal dots across the screen. They flash and move and even impact the TV settings menu and internal apps.

A few photos...

View attachment 1237947
View attachment 1237946
View attachment 1237945
View attachment 1237944
Only just seen this, my panel had vertical lines occasionally and also a big black block in the top left, so very different to yours. It is worth a phone call to your local service centre.
There are no replacement panels for the EZ so it had to be a replacement tv. It may be different for the FZ.

I caved .... :Do_O

We now have the GZ950 65” sitting on our wall, with its original factory settings

Any help would be great to be the best settings, picture?

Pretty sure when the Elec guy fitted our original Panasonic he mentioned the HDMI cables were High Speed, should I have purchased different types or will these be fine?

I caved .... :Do_O

We now have the GZ950 65” sitting on our wall, with its original factory settings

Any help would be great to be the best settings, picture?

Pretty sure when the Elec guy fitted our original Panasonic he mentioned the HDMI cables were High Speed, should I have purchased different types or will these be fine?
True cinema and colour on warm 2, Dolby vision Dark for DV content

Thanks @dvdmike

Any idea about the HDMI cables, should my type be ok?

I've also noticed this TV, along with Pixel Orbiter (Pixel shift) it also has Logo Luminance Control, which will video dim Logos (like CNN banner) to stop burn.

Also I can’t see Dolby Vision Dark?

Any idea how to set/save different picture settings for Either my HDMI 1 (For SkyQ) and HDMI 2 (for Xbox One X), I changed the settings to GAME then went back to Sky but the picture settings was still in Game :(

Last edited:
Thanks @dvdmike

Any idea about the HDMI cables, should my type be ok?

I've also noticed this TV, along with Pixel Orbiter (Pixel shift) it also has Logo Luminance Control, which will video dim Logos (like CNN banner) to stop burn.

Also I can’t see Dolby Vision Dark?

Any idea how to set/save different picture settings for Either my HDMI 1 (For SkyQ) and HDMI 2 (for Xbox One X), I changed the settings to GAME then went back to Sky but the picture settings was still in Game :(

It’s completely subjective, and dependent on your own viewing environment/eyes, but the general consensus among owners on this thread suggest Professional 1 for daytime viewing, Professional 2 for evening.

I’ve had mine on Professional 1/Warm 1 since I got mine and haven’t changed it. Great picture.

If you are viewing content on your TV, then that suggests your HDMI cables are fine.

The Dolby Vision presents only become available to select when viewing DV content.

If you enable ALLM (auto low latency mode) in the XB1X display settings, then the TV will activate the Game picture preset automatically when it detects the signal from the Xbox.

Thank you @Sebastalona

My setup at present is 1 x HDMI cable going from the ARC (HDMI 2) Input on the TV, to the Sony Soundbar HT-ST5000 output. Then my Xbox One X, SkyQ and Apple TV/Nintendo Switch, for the kids, all go into the inputs of the soundbar.

Tonight I downloaded the film ‘First Man’ in UHD, on my SkyQ box, and we sat down to watch it, but the picture at certain points was grainy / hazy and not UHD, it just wasn’t the stunning clear definition we had thought it would be with IHD.

Is there anything I could be doing wrong? This is when I thought the HDMI cables may be wrong, I managed to persuade the other half to agree to this TV but we both felt underwhelmed with the movie / rubbish picture that we just switched it of :(

Last edited:
I haven’t seen this on Sky, but some Sky content is shocking, have you tried a UHD BD Disc?

Thank you @Sebastalona

My setup at present is 1 x HDMI cable going from the ARC (HDMI 2) Input on the TV, to the Sony Soundbar HT-ST5000 output. Then my Xbox One X, SkyQ and Apple TV/Nintendo Switch, for the kids, all go into the inputs of the soundbar.

Tonight I downloaded the film ‘First Man’ in UHD, on my SkyQ box, and we sat down to watch it, but the picture at certain points was hazy and not UHD, it just wasn’t the stunning clear definition we had thought it would be with IHD.

Is there anything I could be doing wrong? This is when I thought the HDMI cables may be wrong, I managed to persuade the other half to agree to this TV but we both felt underwhelmed with the movie / rubbish picture that we just switched it of :(
I have not seen this movie but suggest you try another. I believe that one is mastered in 2k so may not be the best demo. Some Sky stuff in UHD is not much different from HD. If you want an instant WOW select Beta Version on on board iPlayer and watch the first episode of Seven Worlds One Planet.

Ok cheers guys, will give it a go and do the iPlayer

I will also play a UHD disc from my Xbox One X and see how it is, no one has heard of a bottleneck with the Xbox have they? It runs the UHD disc at full def?

Last edited:
Ok cheers guys, will give it a go and do the iPlayer

I will also play a UHD disc from my Xbox One X and see how it is, no one has heard of a bottleneck with the Xbox have they? It runs the UHD disc at full def?
As already said, Sky in UHD is, at best, the equivalent of a 1080p Blu-ray.
Netflix Dolby Vision titles are generally good PQ. I suggest Annihilation as one that impresses. There are plenty more.
If you have access to it, any Apple TV+ show will look good. The Morning Show, For All Mankind and See all look outstanding in DV.

If you want an instant WOW select Beta Version on on board iPlayer and watch the first episode of Seven Worlds One Planet.

Where do you find this Beta version mate and is this on iPlayer in Sky?

Sorry bit confused haha

Where do you find this Beta version mate and is this on iPlayer in Sky?

Sorry bit confused haha

You will have to use the TV’s iPlayer app to access the Beta and HLG content.

Looking forward to HZ950 for 2020 model for me to upgrade from Pana plasma.
Surely it would have HDMI 2.1 along with better picture refinement and latest built in apps.

@leebroath It will also be useful to post what image settings/presets you are using.

Looking forward to HZ950 for 2020 model for me to upgrade from Pana plasma.
Surely it would have HDMI 2.1 along with better picture refinement and latest built in apps.

According to Currys Spec, this TV already has 2.1 HDMI ?

8A48E5C0-EB6A-46F9-A3D3-E9102B918195.jpeg

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom