Panasonic GZ950 4K OLED Review & Comments

Why don’t you have sky q set to 2160p?
To me, having the Sky Q set to 2160p results in a softer picture due to the Q box upscaling. These TV's do a great job of upscaling & I leave mine on 1080i as well unless of course I'm watching something downloaded in UHD from the Sky Q box.

Will native 2160p stuff automatically display as 2160p if Sky Q is set to 1080i?
No. It'll output everything as 1080i50.

This is an area where the Q box is inferior to the old HD box, that allowed you to set it to 'Auto' and it would output the content in its native resolution.

Paul

I find on 1080i the menus and text isnt as crisp as when on p, and cant notice too much on actual picture, im on a sky q mini box

Woke up at 6am and the TV was turned on to a blank input with an inactive warning saying it will turn itself off.
It was turned off at 11pm and the receiver was still off.
This is weird right?

I have been watching all 4 and it has said it was going to turn itself off before.

Dp

Last edited:
Hey all. Been enjoying the GZ950 during the lockdown but I'm wondering (coming up to 3000 hours use) if the screen is developing an issue? Hopefully the below video works and you can see a flicker/pulsing of the picture every few seconds.

It does this every 10-30 seconds on all inputs (TV Netflix app here) and with all picture enhancements off and recommended settings from here. Been doing it for ~3 weeks now.

Any ideas or things to try? Thanks.

In the video that looks like a black frame. Do you have black frame insertion (BFI) enabled?

Perhaps try changing the Picture Mode / Luminance Level to see if it still happens.

Hey all. Been enjoying the GZ950 during the lockdown but I'm wondering (coming up to 3000 hours use) if the screen is developing an issue? Hopefully the below video works and you can see a flicker/pulsing of the picture every few seconds.

It does this every 10-30 seconds on all inputs (TV Netflix app here) and with all picture enhancements off and recommended settings from here. Been doing it for ~3 weeks now.

Any ideas or things to try? Thanks.

I would start with the basics - disconnect all your external devices from the TV, do a factory reset and see if it still occurs with the inbuilt Freeview tuner or apps. Presumably you're on the latest firmware, otherwise you wouldn't be able to watch Netflix ?

I would start with the basics - disconnect all your external devices from the TV, do a factory reset and see if it still occurs with the inbuilt Freeview tuner or apps. Presumably you're on the latest firmware, otherwise you wouldn't be able to watch Netflix ?

Yes to latest firmware
I can't try/don't have Freeview but will try Netflix and other built-in apps.

Silly question. After a factory reset will I need to re-download firmware?

In the video that looks like a black frame. Do you have black frame insertion (BFI) enabled?

Perhaps try changing the Picture Mode / Luminance Level to see if it still happens.

I don't. All enhancements are, and have always been, off. I double checked all these were off before making the video too.

I'll try the factory reset and see if it helps. Cheers. :thumbsup:

Hi,

I recently received my 65GZ950 and overall I'm very pleased with it. However, I do have a small problem with sound ....... I am trying to playback a MKV video file from a memory stick and I have no sound. I have checked the audio on the memstick and find that it is a "dts, 48000 Hz, 5.1, 1536kb/s" signal. Am I to assume that the panasonic can not play DTS audio or is it something else causing the problem?

Incidently, I pluged the memstick into a raspberry pi and no problem with the sound there.

Your thoughts would be most welcomed
F.

I can't try/don't have Freeview but will try Netflix and other built-in apps.

Silly question. After a factory reset will I need to re-download firmware?

Yes, testing with either the onboard Netflix app or Freeview will rule out external devices being at fault.

I don't think you'll need to re-download the firmware again, but you will obviously lose all of your settings.

Hi,

I recently received my 65GZ950 and overall I'm very pleased with it. However, I do have a small problem with sound ....... I am trying to playback a MKV video file from a memory stick and I have no sound. I have checked the audio on the memstick and find that it is a "dts, 48000 Hz, 5.1, 1536kb/s" signal. Am I to assume that the panasonic can not play DTS audio or is it something else causing the problem?

Incidently, I pluged the memstick into a raspberry pi and no problem with the sound there.

Your thoughts would be most welcomed
F.

Sorry to tell you the TV can't deal with DTS audio.

Sorry to tell you the TV can't deal with DTS audio.
Well, first, thank you for your swift response but b*gger, wanted all my video files on a server that could be streamed over the LAN by the GZ950 ... now it means that I need another LAN cable for a rasp pi to be strapped to the back of the 950 ...... unless, and I'm a bit clueless about this, could that 950 pass through the audio stream to a DTS equipped sound bar?

So the factory reset was a bust. The issue remains the same....

Worth trying a manual panel maintenance cycle or should I wait ~50 hours for the next 1,000 hour one?

Well, first, thank you for your swift response but b*gger, wanted all my video files on a server that could be streamed over the LAN by the GZ950 ... now it means that I need another LAN cable for a rasp pi to be strapped to the back of the 950 ...... unless, and I'm a bit clueless about this, could that 950 pass through the audio stream to a DTS equipped sound bar?
No I don't think so your rasp pie would have to go into the soundbar the TV won't pass through DTS I use a vero 4k for my movies

Anyone interested in 55 inch version, it's available for £1080 incluidng VAT @ Costco Thurrock

Attachments

• IMG_20200703_200929062.jpg
    IMG_20200703_200929062.jpg
    207.8 KB · Views: 86
Hi guys, quick question please. Given that the GZ950 is the 2019 model, would it still be available to buy towards the end of the year or will it be replaced by the 2020 models? I really like the quality of the TV and I was wondering if will be available discounted on Black Friday and so? Thanks.

Hi guys, quick question please. Given that the GZ950 is the 2019 model, would it still be available to buy towards the end of the year or will it be replaced by the 2020 models? I really like the quality of the TV and I was wondering if will be available discounted on Black Friday and so? Thanks.

Which size were you interested in ? Both Richer Sounds and John Lewis have sold out of the 55" GZ950 and no longer list it, so that's a sign that stocks must be running low on that size.

Both sizes have been well-received and are currently fairly heavily discounted, so I wouldn't have thought it's likely that there'll be any around by the end of the year, but you never know.

Last edited:
Doubt there would be any GZ's about come black friday but the new HZ's that are coming out now should be discounted by BF.

Which size were you intetested in ? Both Richer Sounds and John Lewis have sold out of the 55" GZ950 and no longer list it, so that's a sign that stocks must be running low on that size.

Both sizes have been well-received and are currently fairly heavily discounted, so I wouldn't have thought it's likely that there'll be any around by the end of the year, but you never know.

I wanted the 65 inch model. I can see that it’s still available on few websites. But yeah I take your point, they may not last till Black Friday.

Doubt there would be any GZ's about come black friday but the new HZ's that are coming out now should be discounted by BF.

Great. Thanks. I’ll look into buying one soon then.

Would that be the case too with Sony AG9? Sorry I know it’s the wrong topic, but maybe someone here can help.

Attachments

• AB9A57D3-B6EF-4261-B781-7DE6F5CA2370.png
    AB9A57D3-B6EF-4261-B781-7DE6F5CA2370.png
    358.9 KB · Views: 71
Just been straight up to Currys and they refunded me the difference, brilliant bagged this for £1999

cheers bud

EDIT: Price has now went back up to £2099, glad I went up today when I did

How long can they price match for?

I wanted the 65 inch model. I can see that it’s still available on few websites. But yeah I take your point, they may not last till Black Friday.

Great. Thanks. I’ll look into buying one soon then.

Yes, the 65" GZ950 still appears to be available from most places at the moment. I would be wary about buying an expensive TV from some of those retailers on your list though - problems with these sets seem to be rare but they can happen, so make sure you choose one that has good customer service. I would also immediately disregard any who don't include a 5 or 6 year warranty - you should be getting one for free when spending that sort of money.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom