Panasonic GZ950 4K OLED Review & Comments

Phil will you be uploading a video for best picture settings for the GZ950? I took delivery of mine last weekend and would like to tweak things here and there but the more I play around with image processing the more unsure I’m not making things worse. Would really appreciate a professional opinion so I know I’ve got it set up to get the very best picture I can. Cheers.

I currently own a Panasonic LCD from a few years back and the two things for me that lets it down is the lack of DTS decoding and the 3rd party apps which are very rarely updated compared with LG etc. Plex for instance is very flaky on the Panasonic TV if they sorted those things it would be perfect for me .

Great review (as ever) Phil, thanks. And a very well deserved Best Buy award for the TV. Panasonic are having a great year, as far as TV's are concerned.

Paul

Phil will you be uploading a video for best picture settings for the GZ950?
The video would be very short. :D
For SDR - Professional 1 for day time viewing and Professional 2) for night time viewing, with Luminance set to your preference and IFC set to Off. For HDR/ DV/ HLG - Professional 1 for day time viewing and Professional 2 for night time viewing, with IFC set to Off. Very simple for these Panasonic's. :smashin:

Paul

Great review but undecided keep reading the LG C9 and GZ950 reviews know them of by heart now. I am a movie Blu-ray/4K watcher only no TV/streaming/games, own a separate system for audio. Would you agree The Panasonic is the best in my usage case?

Great review but undecided keep reading the LG C9 and GZ950 reviews know them of by heart now. I am a movie Blu-ray/4K watcher only no TV/streaming/games, own a separate system for audio. Would you agree The Panasonic is the best in my usage case?

I'm the same as you to be honest and I've only ever been looking at the C9 but after reading this review I'm thinking maybe this should be the way forward as it does provide both HDR10+ and Dolby Vision plus it's reference pq out of the box so you don't have to pay an extra 3-400 for a pro calibration later down the line. 🤔

if that’s your general usage for it, then I think with its upscaling, motion handling, hdr coverage and amazing near black performance, the 950 would be very hard to beat at the price point (imho)

The video would be very short. :D
For SDR - Professional 1 for day time viewing and Professional 2) for night time viewing, with Luminance set to your preference and IFC set to Off. For HDR/ DV/ HLG - Professional 1 for day time viewing and Professional 2 for night time viewing, with IFC set to Off. Very simple for these Panasonic's. :smashin:

Paul

Do you leave the luminance at 100% for HDR? (Default for pro 1 and 2)

Do you leave the luminance at 100% for HDR? (Default for pro 1 and 2)
Yes or whatever it is by default.
Changes to Luminance, Contrast and Brightness will all influence how the TV tone maps, so best to leave them at default, so you get the best (intended) experience.

Paul

Yes or whatever it is by default.
Changes to Luminance, Contrast and Brightness will all influence how the TV tone maps, so best to leave them at default, so you get the best (intended) experience.

Paul

ok, i'm somewhat paranoid about screen burn o_O:D

ok, i'm somewhat paranoid about screen burn o_O:D
If you're in Pro 1 or 2 you don't need to worry. Just make sure you vary content every now and then and put the TV in standby so it can go through the cycles.

If you're in Pro 1 or 2 you don't need to worry. Just make sure you vary content every now and then and put the TV in standby so it can go through the cycles.

Yup, family briefed on this, screensavers set to their lowest timeout, min opacity, it'll be fine!

Annoyingly on my Roku stick if you pause Netflix the screensaver doesn't kick in, at least on prime it goes black after a while.

Hi Phil , how does the Ag8/9 compare against the Gz950. I know I’m putting you on the spot but I have got to ask.

Great review. I recently purchased a GZ950 after 14 years of Panasonic plasma Pro monitors and really impressed with the set for motion (with IFC off) and general picture performance related to price.
Just a shame Panasonic don't do a monitor only option like the Plasma pro sets with no tuner, speakers etc.
Will maybe look further down the road at a professional calibration but noticed the colours in Warm 2 (which i am used to on other sets) on the pro setting are a little off.

What general settings in the menu can you use to adjust firstly the greyscale tracking and also the colour gamut hue on these sets ?

Good, accurate and unbiased review Phil.

One question, to those in the know, if the TV is connected to a soundbar via arc is it possible to have a sub plugged in to the headphone socket and run them both at the same time?

The reason I ask is, I have a 65" GZ950 with a Samsung MS750 soundbar, but the bass is a little lacking.

Yup, family briefed on this, screensavers set to their lowest timeout, min opacity, it'll be fine!

Annoyingly on my Roku stick if you pause Netflix the screensaver doesn't kick in, at least on prime it goes black after a while.
Screen burn is much less of a risk on these latest panels than the early OLED's, where it was and is a real risk. Any static image with red in it is still worth avoiding, as these are the filters that seem to age the fastest.

Re the Roku, it won't be a patch on the inbuilt apps so for Netflix, Prime, iPlayer it's superfluous to requirements, with this TV.

Paul

Can anyone tell me if this has the power cable hardwired into the back, or if it’s removable?

This might be my next TV, but current one is wall mounted and power cable is fed into cavity wall.

Thanks in advance.

What general settings in the menu can you use to adjust firstly the greyscale tracking and also the colour gamut hue on these sets ?
You'll find these (White Balance and Colour Management) in the Advanced Picture settings menu. Although, if you're interested in accuracy, unless you have a colorimeter/ spectrophotometer and appropriate software, you likely to throw accuracy further out.
One question, to those in the know, if the TV is connected to a soundbar via arc is it possible to have a sub plugged in to the headphone socket and run them both at the same time?
That's a good question, and I suspect not as you'd typically instruct the TV to turn off internal speakers, if you're using a soundbar. Can you not connect a subwoofer to the soundbar?

Paul

Screen burn is much less of a risk on these latest panels than the early OLED's, where it was and is a real risk. Any static image with red in it is still worth avoiding, as these are the filters that seem to age the fastest.

Re the Roku, it won't be a patch on the inbuilt apps so for Netflix, Prime, iPlayer it's superfluous to requirements, with this TV.

Paul

I'd like to use the inbuilt apps but I get audio sync issues that I can't dial out with my HT ZF9

Will need to figure out a solution.
Something like this?!

Paul

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom