Panasonic HC VX1 Help

RobCharles1981

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello,

So I have the Panasonic HC VX1 for the last few months and I'm loving it - a great camera!
I'm wondering how does the "Auto Focus" work? I read somewhere there is an option in the menu to make it work better? When for example I'm zooming in on something like a "flower" it sometimes doesn't "focus" that well if you know what I mean?

Also - I think I'm having issues with the memory card I'm using is this one:
Amazon product ASIN B07H9DVLBB
I use the same card in my other camera the Sony FDR AX33 - and what I'm seeing is that when I'm transferring the files from the card to my PC using the SD Card Adapter and importing the files in my editor (Corel X10) there's always one apparant file that is "corrupt" where I can play the file in VLC Media Player.

Also when the SD is formatted and I use the camera for recording videos, and when I go into the play back the files are all there, but I notice other blank files.

Any ideas please?

Many thanks!
Rob

Are you using HD or 4K? VideoStudio X10 is pretty old (now on version 2020 - but you knew that :facepalm:) It may help to upgrade. I don't think X10 will handle 4K.

You are formatting the SD card in the camera? Aren't you

I have the 800 so am not experienced with the software for the 4K version. There is no option to affect the way auto focus works - it just works OK from 2" to infinity.
I'm using the 64 Gb SDXC Sandisk in my camera.

How are you downloading your video files to your PC. If you use HDwriter, you will pull across a number of "housekeeping" files which do nothing for the editing process. You need to just pull the video files across.
See P258 in the user manual "About the PC Display", this shows the format of the SD card. Open DCIM > 101RDPHH (see the note below (2) on that page) Select all the MP4 files and copy into a named folder in My Video.
For AVCHD files go PRIVATE > AVCHD > BDMV > STREAM and follow the same download method.

Hope this helps.

Hi Terfyn,

The Reason why I gone back to X10 was that 2020 version kept on crashing and closing so I didn't know what to do, Corel Live Chat are beyond useless they just tell you too "reset the program"

Still not a clue on the focus.

I download the files using a USB SD Card Adapter and locate the video files and copy them across.

Started using 2020 recently so I cannot yet comment on its reliability. I still have 2019 and 2018 which I know are reasonably robust. Have you tried asking on the Corel User to User web site? They may help.
Sorry I can't help about the auto focus. I can only think that VX1 has an option that the 800 does not have. I searched the VX1 Manual (covers the 800 too) and cannot find any note about focussing. There are some extra focussing options but they are only available on the VXF1.

Last edited:
Hell I have a question about the HC-VX1 I like to take video of aircraft in the sky on such days like today the sky is grey and very bright, I was wondering if there is a setting to help get more of the aircraft and block out the light from behind the aircraft, I try to upload a video for example

IMG_4950.mp4

Hell I have a question about the HC-VX1 I like to take video of aircraft in the sky on such days like today the sky is grey and very bright, I was wondering if there is a setting to help get more of the aircraft and block out the light from behind the aircraft, I try to upload a video for example

IMG_4950.mp4
Anything related to filming of things in the sky must be filmed in manual settings. The biggest problem with filming aircraft in flight is that if you are using the camcorder handheld and the telephoto maxed out it can be difficult to find a suitable setting. Use a fixed shutter speed of at least 50fps and just alter the iris to get some idea of a half decent wide-angle exposure setting of a half sky and half land shot. When you actually zoom in on an airplane you will then probably have to open or possibly close the iris by a few stops to get a decent compromise between the sky and plane. You will never be able to "block out the light from behind the aircraft" without losing details of the plane. Trying to film something in the sky facing south during the day will always be the worst but will be better with your back to the sun for details.
I live a fair bit of the year in southern Spain and I sometimes film things against the sky like this

Last edited:
I have the VXf1 what type of auto focus you are after?
Read page 92 in the manual about AF/AE tracking

IMG_4950.mp4
No way you will get anything but silhouette. There isn't any light "on" the plane.

page 29 : When you are outdoors, record pictures with the sunlight behind you. If the subject is backlit, it will become dark in the recording.

and see also page 96, but it will not help in such shot.

Last edited:
No way you will get anything but silhouette. There isn't any light "on" the plane.
Sorry but that is a silly statement to make ! If you open up the lens to compensate for the bright sky or drop the shutter speed in manual then you will get a decent image and colour of what you are trying to film. As I stated filming south will never be the best for sky shots and filming against the sun will just produce silhouette shots or very grainy images.
If I had simply used my camcorder on auto when filming the windsurfers the images of the kites up in the sky would be very dark especially on wide angle, this is basic photography.

Last edited:
Thank you all for the help, I do have another question about the VX1- is it at all possible now to live stream from the camera it self?
Yes you can connect it to a smart phone, plenty of videos on YouTube showing you how. Just a question is this the first camcorder that you have bought ?

Last edited:
Yes it is, trust me I am very knowledgeable, I have done my research, just wondering if there is something that replaced USTREAM Live Cast. Not sure how it being my first camera has anything to do with it

Hi,

We recently purchased the HC-VXF1 and set the camera up to film surf sessions (90min or so). Is there anyway to set up the camera so it records in smaller blocks of 20min or so? (continuous recording but broken into segments) thus easier to transfer to iPad or Macbook.

Stuart

We recently purchased the HC-VXF1 and set the camera up to film surf sessions (90min or so). Is there anyway to set up the camera so it records in smaller blocks of 20min or so? (continuous recording but broken into segments) thus easier to transfer to iPad or Macbook.
Hi, I have been using Panasonic camcorders for a number of years and I don't think that it's possible to do what you want ? Even on my HCX 2000 I can't see anyway of doing it unlike my GoPro that does it automatically.
Unless some "geek" comes up with a software modification I think it's a no ?

Thanks Gordon, a mate has another type of camera (not sure what but it was cheaper than the one my wife decided to purchase) and he can do it. All good.

Thanks Gordon, a mate has another type of camera (not sure what but it was cheaper than the one my wife decided to purchase) and he can do it. All good.
The chances are the cheaper camera is breaking the files down into 4Gb chunks, as this is the largest file size for some card formats. Better cameras use file systems that can handle much larger file sizes, so there's less to stitch back together afterwards.

As the VX1 uses xFAT, file limit is 16EB .
Your best practice will be is to stop > rec, on something less important after 15-20 min
Yes you loose 1-2 seconds but it's much practical then to handle one colossal file

Thanks guys. bummer.

Not overly practical to come in from a surf every 20min and push reset...

You could try putting in an SD card formatted as FAT32 and see if the camcorder will write to it. If so the clip size will be limited to 4Gb.

I'm doubtful this will work if I'm honest however.

You could try putting in an SD card formatted as FAT32 and see if the camcorder will write to it. If so the clip size will be limited to 4Gb.

I'm doubtful this will work if I'm honest however.
It's worth a try I suppose, however as I said some "geek" could possibly adapt a timer via the remote control for that camera to switch it on and off ?

For ages users were complaining about the 4GB limit of FAT32 so manufactures moved to exFAT , as cards went larger and data as well.
And no, camcorders can't use different FAT systems other what they designed to, hence it's always recommended to format the card with the camera and not on other device.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom