Panasonic HX800 (TX-58HX800B) 4K LED LCD TV Review & Comments

Costs too much, cheaper for them to buy their panels from lg and make decent oled televisions instead. The last decent lcd Panasonic made was the dx902 4 years ago.
Wasn't AVF was using the DX902 up until last year? I considered getting the 902 a couple of years back (if I could find one) but I do remember there being an issue with its HDR. HDR is the reason I still prefer LCD TVs.

@Trilobite I guess the enthusiam for thin screens, and hence edge-lit rather than FALD, arises because somehow the general public have been sold the idea that thin (to superficially compete with thin OLED screens) is good. Like you, I'd much rather have a somewhat thicker FALD television.
How about a thicker edge lit TV lol? Sony proved that it could be done well, even rivalling FALD TVs of today. The X930 weighs about as much as a small car and probably costs as much to build too. Which maybe why they didn't follow up on it.

They still use a dx902 in their 4k blu ray reviews now, what's wrong with the hdr? It does hdr10 and hlg, no dolby vision, but the hdr is stunning

They still use a dx902 in their 4k blu ray reviews now, what's wrong with the hdr? It does hdr10 and hlg, no dolby vision, but the hdr is stunning
I read quite a few reviews because I was interested in buying it. I've just gone through some reviews and the issue wasn't HDR. I must have been looking for a 3D capable TV when I came across Vincent's review. He called it a write off for 3D because of "excessive crosstalk".

I read quite a few reviews because I was interested in buying it. I've just gone through some reviews and the issue wasn't HDR. I must have been looking for a 3D capable TV when I came across Vincent's review. He called it a write off for 3D because of "excessive crosstalk".
I havnt actually tried the 3d as I had an e6 oled that was the best 3d I've ever seen, and i can't imagine the dx902 competing with that. On the owners thread there's alot of happy 3d watchers though

I havnt actually tried the 3d as I had an e6 oled that was the best 3d I've ever seen, and i can't imagine the dx902 competing with that. On the owners thread there's alot of happy 3d watchers though
It was probably a combination of that review plus the difficulty in actually finding one that made it a no go.

Last edited by a moderator:
The days of expensive FALD TVs are gone as TV companies focussed on OLED Tvs

Is this the best overall tv at this size for gaming? If not what else should I consider (max 43 inch)

Is this the best overall tv at this size for gaming? If not what else should I consider (max 43 inch)
If it 's just gaming you do maybe a Samsung TU 8000 is an option also ....

Interesting to note that a certain Polish review measured only 230 cd/m² on a 10% window but with their real HDR tests they measured 405 in a particular scene ... (the 58" version as well)

It sais on their website that this set has local dimming? Does it? @Phil Hinton
Usually two zones, left and right, if it does have it. I think the GX800 had the same ...

Interesting to note that a certain Polish review measured only 230 cd/m² on a 10% window but with their real HDR tests they measured 405 in a particular scene ... (the 58" version as well)

Usually two zones, left and right, if it does have it. I think the GX800 had the same ...
round 300 nits is the correct value but it can vary as equipment standards does

round 300 nits is the correct value but it can vary as equipment standards does
I think they made a typo (or a mix up with the pic above) as they mentioned 330 in their summary of specs for the 10% (L20) window
[iirc they use the Klein K10A]

We got ours yesterday. A BZ version. Replaced a 7 year old LG.

Can you get Apple TV app from the marketplace or Disney +?

It‘s not clear from what I’ve read. No real issue as got a 4K fire stick coming I guess.

cheers,

Simon

sorry to jump into another topic and i need help... I do some google search and no luck in finding the comparision of below 2 models.

Panasonic HX800

Sony X90

65 inch of Panasonic HX800 and Sony X90H about the same price level. Which one is better choice in quality and reliability?

Panasonic HX800 seems has better than sale than Sony, however, few Black friday sale review highly recommend the Sony x90

Please help and give me some advice.

Thank you very much.

sorry to jump into another topic and i need help... I do some google search and no luck in finding the comparision of below 2 models.

Panasonic HX800

Sony X90

65 inch of Panasonic HX800 and Sony X90H about the same price level. Which one is better choice in quality and reliability?

Panasonic HX800 seems has better than sale than Sony, however, few Black friday sale review highly recommend the Sony x90

Please help and give me some advice.

Thank you very much.

It's always hard to recommend one above the other without actually seeing them side by side but on paper the Sony would probably give you a better picture as it's FALD whereas the Panasonic is edge-lit. Viewing angles on the Panasonic are quite narrow too - not a problem if you're sitting face on to the screen though.

The Google Play app store will give you access to more streaming apps on the Sony than the Panasonic too if that's your bag.

Some people complain about the Android OS on Sony TVs to be very slow and buggy but I believe this has been vastly improved on the 2020 models. The Panasonic OS is basic but works well.

Can't say anything on reliability as I've never owned a Sony but Panasonic TVs have always lasted well for me.

Picture quality and operation is such a subjective thing so if you can wait I'd recommend you try and go out and see the TVs in the flesh (when lockdown lifts and shops open) as it's a lot of money you'll be spending.

Owned the 58-HX800 for a couple of weeks now. Loving it so far and exactly what I expected from the brand, having owned Panasonic TVs before. Just some observations:
The review on AV Forums is the most negative I've seen. It's seems to get great reviews across the rest of the press who praise it's balanced pictures, build quality and ease of use.
I briefly owned a GX700 before this, which I returned. It has the same panel, but is ruined by being lumbered with an older software system. As a result, it was unreliable and prone to crashes. Also, the sound was never in sync using HDMI ARC. It was also difficult to get a reference picture using the limited onboard tools. You couldn't even select Warm2. The colours were also oversaturated. The HX800 is completely different. It is very stable, has a newer version of Freeview Play, the sound is perfectly in sync no matter what you connect.
Despite what the reviews say, none of the presets is perfect out of the box, but just a few adjustments gets the perfect picture. I didn't really like Normal setting, event though most reviews state this being the most consistent. I find using True Cinema and making sure colour gamut is set to Auto. Otherwise everything is washed out with a green tint.
The picture is excellent with ambient lighting or daytime. It's not completely black in low light, and there is some light bleed on the extreme left and right. Probably the same as the GX model from the year before.
Panasonic seem to have abandoned the budget end of their range and getting other manufacturers to make TVs for them, hence the Android models with different looking remotes. This may damage the brand long term. However, the HX800 is at least a proper Panasonic.
Overall very happy and has the same natural picture than my AS650 I bought several years ago.

Excellent review of this tv, thanks. Price has dropped considerably since it was first introduced, as is to be expected. The price of a good large tv is now at a crazy level, does anyone ever rent one these days? Panasonic remain one of the best in my view.

Help please - I've got a 40HX800B at a great price for a second TV and setting up ok apart from "favourites". I can mark channels as favourites" but can't see how to get to a list of them! So have to cycle through a long list to get to HD channels. Is there a shortcut? Thanks.

Just got a refurb one of these for the kitchen.

I need to use it with an analogue audio out - the only connection I can see is the 3.5mm headphone out, is that right? Can I use that?

I think this is the first reply I’ve seen in years without a red & white RCA audio out.

New firmware 3.369 EU/UK for HX800

Improvements
Date/Version Description
Jul. 20, 2021
Ver. 3.369

Improve network applications.
Improve system stability.

New firmware 4.369 Asia/Oceania for HX800

Improvements
Date/Version Description
Jul. 20, 2021
Ver.4.369

Improve network applications
Improve system stability.

Hi all - just bought the 58-HX820E for the bedroom for 375£ here in Denmark which I believe is a fair bargain :)
But I was wondering if any had some input to the picture settings to gain the optimal picture from the tv?
I found some suggestions in the GX800 thread, and as I can read they are more or less identical?

Hi all - just bought the 58-HX820E for the bedroom for 375£ here in Denmark which I believe is a fair bargain :)
But I was wondering if any had some input to the picture settings to gain the optimal picture from the tv?
I found some suggestions in the GX800 thread, and as I can read they are more or less identical?

Yup. Follow the suggestions on the GX800 thread as they are pretty much identical sets.
There are no 'correct' settings - picture quality is very subjective. Start with the True Cinema preset and turn all the picture processing options off. That'll give you somewhere to start. Then tweak to how you want it to look.
You bought a 58inch TV for the bedroom? You must have a big bedroom.

Yup. Follow the suggestions on the GX800 thread as they are pretty much identical sets.
There are no 'correct' settings - picture quality is very subjective. Start with the True Cinema preset and turn all the picture processing options off. That'll give you somewhere to start. Then tweak to how you want it to look.
You bought a 58inch TV for the bedroom? You must have a big bedroom.
thanks for the quick answer, great I´ll use the GX800 as a beginner guide :)
Well actually we have downsized from a 60" to 58" now, but it's not that big a bedroom, we just like big screens :D

As of 18 August 2021, the Plex platform on the Panasonic HX800 series TVs (actually all models from 2019 onwards) has been updated from version 3.12.21 to version 5.22.1.

All the modern Plex features such as secure connections etc. are now supported.

It's an unexpected, but welcome App update. What's curious is that according to the Plex website, the Plex Smart TV platform is no longer being supported on Panasonic TVs.

Regards,
James.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom