Panasonic HX800 (TX-58HX800B) 4K LED LCD TV Review & Comments

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Phil - wonder why they did not go for FALD?
I don't think Panasonic care too much about their LCD TVs anymore. They're focusing more on premium OLED from what I read somewhere a while ago.

Thanks Phil - wonder why they did not go for FALD?
Just cost cutting it's much less expensive to have a edge-lit in the process chain .:(

2020, the year of the C**p LCD TV's. Let us charge you the same price and cut features.
Really disappointing sets from Panny, a huge backward approach. They could made an effort to make a FALD set and compete. My choice of set would have been Panasonic. I will bite the bullet soon, house stuff nearly done and the Sony XH9005 is top of the list, I know a lot of members praise the Sony XH9505, which is a superior set without the promised HDMI 2.1 update. The Extra money saved on the XH9005 can go towards a soundbar or a PS5.

Last edited:
@Phil Hinton Mr Hinton, how do you rate this for overall quality and also for value for money against the thoroughly decent TCL 65C815K television that you reviewed last week, which will be a fair bit cheaper if we take the 65" size of both televisions? Both televisions are edge-lit and support both HDR10+ and Dolby Vision. This Panasonic sounds okay, but it's a long way from their truly great FALD 65DX902 television from four and a half years ago.

@Phil Hinton Mr Hinton, how do you rate this for overall quality and also for value for money against the thoroughly decent TCL 65C815K television that you reviewed last week, which will be a fair bit cheaper if we take the 65" size of both televisions? Both televisions are edge-lit and support both HDR10+ and Dolby Vision. This Panasonic sounds okay, but it's a long way from their truly great FALD 65DX902 television from four and a half years ago.
I mention this within the review. The TCL, if you're ticking boxes, also has a better smart TV system, as they use Android. So yes, you get more screen real estate for your money, better wide colour performance thanks to QD on the TCL along with all the HDR formats and image quality that is just as accurate out of the box. The competition is gaining ground fast.

@Phil Hinton Thank you for the further detail given in your post #8! Overall I couldn't justify buying this Panasonic over the TCL.

Costs too much, cheaper for them to buy their panels from lg and make decent oled televisions instead. The last decent lcd Panasonic made was the dx902 4 years ago.
Yes agree the DX902 was a great TV, only thing I didn't like was the tilt on it.

Yes agree the DX902 was a great TV, only thing I didn't like was the tilt on it.
Easily sorted with a generic TV stand for about £30 that uses the vesa mounts to hold the tv, 512 dimming zones and 1300 nits, absolute bargain at around £500 for a 58 inch version if you can find one second hand

Easily sorted with a generic TV stand for about £30 that uses the vesa mounts to hold the tv, 512 dimming zones and 1300 nits, absolute bargain at around £500 for a 58 inch version if you can find one second hand
Yep, had to get a stand for mine, as my tv stand isn't wide enough. Problem solved. Still bowled over by my "new to me" DX902.

Last edited:
A 65" is very difficult to find now as a refurb, but the set is over 4 years old and the Smart TV stuff is out of date. Unless I picked one up for a crazy price, would have to give it a miss.

Seems like mid range LED TVs haven't really moved on in the last five years. Nothing here to convince me to replace a Samsung KU6400 which goes slightly brighter.

Costs too much, cheaper for them to buy their panels from lg and make decent oled televisions instead. The last decent lcd Panasonic made was the dx902 4 years ago.
As an owner of a 65 DX902 I wouldn't disagree..great TV even after all this time, be a sad day when I have to replace especially as it has 3D. 😥

As an owner of a 65 DX902 I wouldn't disagree..great TV even after all this time, be a sad day when I have to replace especially as it has 3D. 😥
I still have one too, i use it as my main tv, and my lg c9 oled is in the bedroom, that should tell you all you need to know as to what I think of the dx902

A 65" is very difficult to find now as a refurb, but the set is over 4 years old and the Smart TV stuff is out of date. Unless I picked one up for a crazy price, would have to give it a miss.

Yeah 4 years old and still stands tall against whatever Q9 model LCD Samsung are trying to flog this year. In fairness, Pana's smart features were "out of date" when the TV was new but Netflix UHD works so that does the job. In our house, all other smart apps are handled by other common devices e.g. xbox, virgin box. It's all about the display and were I in the market for another LCD TV, I'd be checking the classifieds here for a DX before I'd consider paying over a grand for anything new that won't be as good.

Anyway, as for the review, thanks Mr. Hinton but I'd be another airing my disappointment in Pana for continuing to churn out these unremarkable TVs for top dollar every year.

65 inches buddy. As a short a** the diagonal is the same as my height!
Well, I'm 6" 3 1/2" so the same method works for my parlour and ktchen televisions!

Interesting review. I have a TX58AX802B which had smart features that were outdated not long after purchase. I always watch in the dark; the image is excellent until the screen goes dark/ black and there are four areas of blooming that really irritate me. I wonder what Dolby Vision and HDR would be like, but it seems I would have to replace the TX58AX802B with an OLED and not a newer LCD when it eventually fails.

Hmm, so basically another half-arsed implementation from Panasonic - and it's not exactly cheap. I don't know why they persist with the mania for edge-lit screens which are only partially thin anyway. Personally, I'd rather have a uniformly thicker FALD LED-LCD with good performance across the board. I don't know why they can't recognise that. It must be down to bad corporate management.

@Trilobite I guess the enthusiam for thin screens, and hence edge-lit rather than FALD, arises because somehow the general public have been sold the idea that thin (to superficially compete with thin OLED screens) is good. Like you, I'd much rather have a somewhat thicker FALD television.

I have had this TV for a couple of months now and the only thing I don't like is the fact you can't move tv channels about.
For example I like to have BBC1 HD on channel 1 and BBC2 HD on channel 2, not 101 and 102 etc.
I have tried in vain but can't find a way to do it.
Most annoying.

Does anyone know if the hx800 have an hdr game mode? Or if not, does the input lag stay low when playing in hdr mode instead of game mode?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom