Panasonic HZ1500 OLED Review & Comments

Panasonic are their own worst enemies at times. Standard cheap remote, a stand that looks like its come off a Bush TV and no full HDMI 2.1 on a premium set.

Panasonic are starting high with their prices this year. £2399 across various shops just now.

£1699 for an LG CX with £700 leftover for a decent soundbar.

Agreed I was shocked when I saw the pricing for the current top spec Panasonic tellies HZ 2000 65 inch over £4000 they have got to be joking.

Pointless cost cutting by Panasonic which distract from an excellent screen. Black Friday prices could be the point at which people seriously consider it.

Panasonic are starting high with their prices this year. £2399 across various shops just now.

£1699 for an LG CX with £700 leftover for a decent soundbar.
I don't think that's a fair comparison to this particular model. The HZ1000 would be the one to compare with the CX, of which I think the difference is a closer £200.

The HZ1500 has Atmos upfiring drivers along with the built-in soundbar. The closest comparison would be the E9, or EX for this year, but LG seem to have dropped that model for 2020.

Yes pricey this year, glad I bagged a 65GZ950 a month ago for £1799 doubt it's much behind the HZ range.

Yes pricey this year, glad I bagged a 65GZ950 a month ago for £1799 doubt it's much behind the HZ range.

You made the right move. The differences between the 2019 and 2020 models are tiny. Filmmaker mode is the only new feature, and if you setup the TV properly, you don't need it.

Regards,
James.

Panasonic are their own worst enemies at times. Standard cheap remote, a stand that looks like its come off a Bush TV and no full HDMI 2.1 on a premium set.
I totally agree, I came here to ask that question instead of skimming through the review. How utterly bewildering to not have HDMI 2.1 and that fact isn't even listed in the cons. ALL higher end sets should have 2.1 HDMI in my opinion.

Last edited:
I don't think that's a fair comparison to this particular model. The HZ1000 would be the one to compare with the CX, of which I think the difference is a closer £200.

The HZ1500 has Atmos upfiring drivers along with the built-in soundbar. The closest comparison would be the E9, or EX for this year, but LG seem to have dropped that model for 2020.

If the screens are roughly comparable, you’re paying an extra £700 for a 2.0.2 soundbar system.

£600 gets you a Vizio 5.1.2 system, or you could have any number of solid non-Atmos options.

Panasonic just seem a bit toppy this year, may be a slight reposition to gain some more margin, or simply some exchange rate adjustments.

If the screens are roughly comparable, you’re paying an extra £700 for a 2.0.2 soundbar system.

£600 gets you a Vizio 5.1.2 system, or you could have any number of solid non-Atmos options.

Panasonic just seem a bit toppy this year, may be a slight reposition to gain some more margin, or simply some exchange rate adjustments.
I agree, personally I've no interest in a TV's sound capabilities. I prefer the slimmest bezel frame possible.

I guess there's an appeal there for some who aren't allowed (married) to have speakers or a soundbar in front of a TV.

Great review Phil. I think the light sensor sounds like a great feature as it saves having to change picture modes depending on the ambient light in the room. The light sensor on my LG C9 is rubbish and completely useless, but this seems like it really does the job. I’m glad you spend time explaining it’s merit in the review. If it wasn’t for the PS5 and Xbox series X I‘d regret not waiting for these new Panasonic. Really glad it‘s so good and hope everyone who buys one ends up loving it.

You made the right move. The differences between the 2019 and 2020 models are tiny. Filmmaker mode is the only new feature, and if you setup the TV properly, you don't need it.

Regards,
James.

I agree entirely.

I'm a bit gutted. This model looks tacky due to the stand, which looks even cheaper and less stable on the model down. Not a problem if you want to wall mount, but many people don't, including me.

I almost pulled the trigger on a GZ950 a month or so back. I wish I had, since you can't buy one anywhere now, and the only "improvement" on this years models is compromised unless Panasonic issues a fix.

Plus, as you say, a properly calibrated 950 will do the same job anyway. I doubt you'd tell the difference in a GZ950/HZ1500 side by side comparison.

Last edited:
I totally agree, I came here to ask that question instead of skimming through the review. How utterly bewildering to not have HDMI 2.1 and that fact isn't even listed in the cons. ALL higher end sets should have 2.1 HDMI in my opinion.

If you need 120 Hz for Next Gen gaming, then yes, HDMI 2.1 is a requirement. Let's hope Microsoft and Sony get it right...

But I don't think gaming is the overriding priority for many people buying Panasonic OLED TVs. For movies and television viewing, the picture quality of Panasonic's OLEDs is fantastic and they remain the only company supporting all HDR formats.

LG currently have the best line up of TVs supporting HDMI 2.1, but only the 2019 models feature the full 48 Gbps interface - this has been reduced to 40 Gbps on all 2020 models.

The same 40 Gbps restriction is true for the 2020 Denon AVRs too. And don't forget, 2 to 3 metres is the absolute maximum length for (copper) Ultra High Speed HDMI cables (at maximum throughput) and there are still no proper Certified cables available.

HDMI 2.1 is still very much in its infancy and it's rather a mess. I wouldn't buy anything this year with the assumption it's all going to work nicely with future products... I'd wait for the consoles to be released, and then think about getting a panel next year when all the wrinkles have been ironed out.

Regards,
James.

And this is the problem with reviewers inputting their personal opinion when it comes to design

Having been to John Lewis today to see the new Panasonic OLEDs, IN MY OPINION the new circular metal stands look much nicer than the large square ones from last year and make a lot of sense as the TVs swivel now

Agreed I was shocked when I saw the pricing for the current top spec Panasonic tellies HZ 2000 65 inch over £4000 they have got to be joking.

The LG OLED65WX9LA £4499 = paying for design

The Samsung QE65Q900T £4799 = Paying for unusable 8K and design

The panasonic 65HZ2000 £4299 = Paying for performance

Don't get me wrong I don't have £4k+ to drop on a TV but I dont get why Panasonic can't sell what is probably going to be hailed as the best TV ever made (picture and sound wise) for that money when LG and samsung just make a TV thin and charge even more

I agree entirely.

I'm a bit gutted. This model looks tacky due to the stand, which looks even cheaper and less stable on the model down. Not a problem if you want to wall mount, but many people don't, including me.

I almost pulled the trigger on a GZ950 a month or so back. I wish I had, since you can't buy one anywhere now, and the only "improvement" on this years models is compromised unless Panasonic issues a fix.

Plus, as you say, a properly calibrated 950 will do the same job anyway. I doubt you'd tell the difference in a GZ050/HZ1500 side by side comparison.

The HZ980 is the replacement model for the GZ950 and has been released only a couple hundred £ more than the GZ950 left the market at. Just wait a couple months and buy the HZ980. If you dont need the sound or swivel stand the HZ980 is the model you should look at 👍

And this is the problem with reviewers inputting their personal opinion when it comes to design

Having been to John Lewis today to see the new Panasonic OLEDs, IN MY OPINION the new circular metal stands look much nicer than the large square ones from last year and make a lot of sense as the TVs swivel now

I am a huge fan of swivel stands. Give you viewing angle flexibility.

I really like the stand too reminds me of the Pioneer 500a stand and they weren’t saying that looked bad yeeaahhh!

So the reviewer has a massive issue that affects picture quality and it still gets a 9?

I have read somewhere the GZ980's stand does not swivel it is fixed.

So the reviewer has a massive issue that affects picture quality and it still gets a 9?
If you are referring to the issue with Dolby Vision IQ, then that is one picture mode setting that has items switched on as default that are then greyed out. This affects image quality for purists or those who want choice.
However, like Vivid and Standard modes DV IQ is not the best option for viewing and setting to Dolby Vision Dark and the OLED panel brightness for the room, is the better option and I have no issues there. But being thorough I mention the issues and feed it back as I believe in choice. The picture scores are for the best picture modes and calibrated image.

andre said:
And this is the problem with reviewers inputting their personal opinion when it comes to design.
I am entitled to my opinion, even if it is a subjective issue like the design. Actually having the item here and against its peers, as well as years of setting up all sorts of TVs, I feel I have a pretty good foundation for coming up with my opinions. You are of course welcome to disagree, but putting it like you have doesn't mean your opinion carries any more weight than anyone else.

Last edited:
I am a huge fan of swivel stands. Give you viewing angle flexibility.
You could glue/attach some thin gliding pieces under the centre-stand of the GZ950 and turn that 2019 tv for viewing-angle. Or you can buy a turning disc and put the center stand of the gz950 and turn that tv. That's the advantage of a centre-stand. But having it standard like now on the HZ(2020) tv is easier.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom