Panasonic HZ2000 Flagship OLED TV Review & Comments

How are people getting on with their new Panasonic HZ2000's? What are peoples thoughts now after some 'bedding in time'?

Really happy with SDR out of the box in filmmaker. HDR10 and specially DV really pops with Sensing/IQ and I think they works really well for me when not at night/movie watching.

Only thing I feel is a step back is the motion since I came from a sony oled and that really was smooth. 24p isn't bad at all but I see the skips more for example when atv4k switches between frames and the screensaver 60hz is really bad but that doesn't matter. I run Vincents "plasma esque" seeting with "min" on both IFC and BFI. Doesn't seem like I can engage the other motion settings but might be that my light sensor is always on.

I settled on 40 brightness since 30 (100 nits) was a little dim for my everyday viewing.

Everything else is on default (best setting).

I am very happy with my 65HZ2000, often surprised of the picture quality. Also happy with the funktions in generel and the APPS. Can´t really find anything to complain about.

It is actually a rather bad idea to copy picture settings. Often the white balance varies from TV to TV.
Isn't it a matter of 'trying out' someone else's picture settings rather than 'copying' them?. If, for example, the white balance is not suitable then a further satisfactory adjustment can be made and posted here. We'll then have a choice of 2, then 3 or even 4 🙂.

I've found that whilst setting up my current Sony, a specific AVF's review setting or 'Picture Perfect' suited me better than a 'rtings.com', 'best-tv-settings.com' or 'whathifi.com' setting and vice-versa. This applies very often when suggesting turning a setting ON or OFF or selecting between, for example, the various picture modes or colour modes.
In time there will be a selection of recommendations posted here, so plenty of options to tweek.

It is actually a rather bad idea to copy picture settings. Often the white balance varies from TV to TV.

I imagined that because only minor adjustments were needed I would try out other settings. Professional calibration is not an option in my area so was hoping to experiment a little

I imagined that because only minor adjustments were needed I would try out other settings. Professional calibration is not an option in my area so was hoping to experiment a little
For the normal picture settings, the adjustments were minor, but not when it came to DV Dark.

Hi everyone. I'll be getting my first OLED soon and am torn between this and either the LG CX or GX, and was wondering if anyone could help me. Sorry this post is a bit ramble-y, and if I've posted in the wrong place please do let me know.

While I do enjoy gaming, the games I typically play do not really require low input lag or HDMI 2.1 features, so while the lack of 2.1 on the Panasonic is a shame, that alone won't make me choose against the model. However, given that the bandwidth of HDMI 2.0 is great enough to support a 1080p (or even 1440p)/120Hz signal, is it possible for Panasonic to allow support for 120Hz inputs via a firmware update, and assuming so, how likely is it that they'll do this when next gen consoles and GPUs drop? I'm aware gamers really aren't Panasonic's target demographic, but I'm unsure how much work such a firmware change would be (assuming it is even possible to do so). I'm not expecting anything like VRR or other 2.1 features, just curious about 120Hz signal support.

Secondly, looking at the specifications of the HZ2000's audio setup, it seems like a clear winner. With that said, I was wondering if anyone happened to have heard both the LG GX and the Panasonic HZ2000 (as well as last year's top-end Philips) and would be able to compare the audio of these TVs. I'm expecting the Panasonic to be much better than the LG due to the Technics tuned soundbar and the wattage, but it would be great to have that backed up by people with experience of both TVs. Obviously most people buying OLED TVs have a dedicated sound system which will be better for audio, but I don't have anything like this so am interested purely in the sound from the TV itself.

Finally - and I understand this is a very subjective matter and asking in this thread may give biased answers - I wanted to ask about the question of value. Obviously the HZ2000 is currently the best of the best, but it is also more expensive. It isn't unaffordable for me, but I'm still curious if people think the upgrades are worth the extra money. I'm hoping to buy around Black Friday, at which point I'm expecting - based on past trends - for the prices of the 55" models to be around £1000-1200 for the LG CX, £1300-1500 for the LG GX, and £2000-2300 for the Panasonic HZ2000. Those are obviously just approximate guesses and may be well out, but I'm using them for now to make some preliminary decisions. The Panasonic seems to be by far the best TV on the market (custom panel, sound setup, great OotB picture accuracy), but do you think it is worth twice the price of the CX? Part of me would love the Panasonic, but the other part is aware I'm coming from entry level 4k LCDs and will probably be absolutely blown away by any OLED so is unsure if the improvements are worth the extra cost. The hypothesised lower potential for burn-in due to the custom panel is very alluring, but I've heard LG are pretty good for courtesy panel replacements if customers encounter such issues too.

Thanks for any help in advance :)

Well, I could get many angry friends now. LG will never find its way to my setup. To me, LG has to many software failures, and other failures showing along the way. Not to say that Panasonic not shows failures from time to time. But I have had 11 Panasonic flat panels in 12 years, and never one failure except yellow tint one year, but I think that was normal that year for LG produced OLED screens.

If you are a gamer go for LG and HDMI 2.1. If you are into movies go for Panasonic.

One could say that there is not the big differences between an LG picture and a Panasonic picture. But there is a difference, and I think is because of the HCX processor.

It is your choice what you buy. And perhaps you will be happy with an LG. One the other hand I am very happy with my 65HZ2000.

Last edited:
Yes I've been a little concerned about LG failure rate. It's difficult to gauge the extent without knowing sales numbers, but most of the burn-in issues I read about seem to be LG models. I've been unsure if they have a higher defect rate or simply sell more, but it has been a concern.

I don't think I'm a big enough gamer to justify immediately ruling out non-LG options due to hdmi 2.1. While I do enjoy playing, they tend to be longer, narrative-driven single-player games rather than fast-paced competitive ones. I'm hoping to watch more movies too, which has been a draw for the Panasonic. I considered the GZ2000, but the lack of filmmaker mode and 120Hz BFI made me reconsider, the former just for accuracy and the latter to bring the motion up to and even past that of Sony oleds which I've heard are notorious for it (though again, I've never seen anything above an entry level 4k LCD so I'll probably be delighted with any).

I have heard Panasonic's processor is excellent. I briefly considered a Philips as they're supposed to also have excellent processing, but they seem to focus more on an ethos of processing everything even at the cost of creative intent, while Panasonic seem to place a lot of focus on maintaining it.

Right now I'm leaning towards the Panasonic again, though I've been flipping back and forth regularly. It's good to hear your thoughts though, and that you've been happy with your purchase.

I took delivery of a 65” HZ2000 last week and have to say I’m very impressed compared to my ISF calibrated 65” VT50 plasma. Had both side by side and the HZ2000 has much better blacks as well as much better overall brightness. Colour accuracy out of the box also seems very good in general. Two things I have noticed though are as follows

1. Reds and yellows can seem a little fluorescent, especially compared to my plasma, has anyone else noticed this? It might be that my plasma was slightly under saturated and this maybe correct, but interested to hear others views
2. I have compared the Filmmaker mode to Professional 2 out of the box and in a dark room they look identical (and have identical settings) but in a bright room with the ambient sensor on for both picture modes, Filmmaker mode seems to brighten quite a bit more than Professional 2. Has anyone else seen this and know why this is?

Pete

Yes I've been a little concerned about LG failure rate. It's difficult to gauge the extent without knowing sales numbers, but most of the burn-in issues I read about seem to be LG models. I've been unsure if they have a higher defect rate or simply sell more, but it has been a concern.

I don't think I'm a big enough gamer to justify immediately ruling out non-LG options due to hdmi 2.1. While I do enjoy playing, they tend to be longer, narrative-driven single-player games rather than fast-paced competitive ones. I'm hoping to watch more movies too, which has been a draw for the Panasonic. I considered the GZ2000, but the lack of filmmaker mode and 120Hz BFI made me reconsider, the former just for accuracy and the latter to bring the motion up to and even past that of Sony oleds which I've heard are notorious for it (though again, I've never seen anything above an entry level 4k LCD so I'll probably be delighted with any).

I have heard Panasonic's processor is excellent. I briefly considered a Philips as they're supposed to also have excellent processing, but they seem to focus more on an ethos of processing everything even at the cost of creative intent, while Panasonic seem to place a lot of focus on maintaining it.

Right now I'm leaning towards the Panasonic again, though I've been flipping back and forth regularly. It's good to hear your thoughts though, and that you've been happy with your purchase.
Just for info, the Filmer Maker Mode is very very close to a calibrated Professional 2. So if it is still possible to buy a GZ2000, I would go for that TV.

Just for info, the Filmer Maker Mode is very very close to a calibrated Professional 2. So if it is still possible to buy a GZ2000, I would go for that TV.

I can find one for £2199, but I'm expecting the HZ2000 to drop at least close to that by the end of the year, and I really value the HZ's implementation of BFI. If the GZ was at its lowest price (which I believe was £1699) I'd just go with that, but I missed out on that price.

I can find one for £2199, but I'm expecting the HZ2000 to drop at least close to that by the end of the year, and I really value the HZ's implementation of BFI. If the GZ was at its lowest price (which I believe was £1699) I'd just go with that, but I missed out on that price.
I had a GZ2000, and it is as good in many ways as the HZ2000. But you are right, you are going to loose a few things when buying a GZ2000.

I can´ t comment on price drops. I am Danish, and here the prices for Panasonic high-end TV´ s never drops that much.

I had a GZ2000, and it is as good in many ways as the HZ2000. But you are right, you are going to loose a few things when buying a GZ2000.

I can´ t comment on price drops. I am Danish, and here the prices for Panasonic high-end TV´ s never drops that much.

I guess that's the way each year with small things being added. The improvements don't bother me too much, but I suspect by the time I'm ready to purchase the HZ will be at a comparable price to the GZ, at which point it makes sense to go with the newer model. For price drops I just use a site called Pricespy which shows the price history of items here in the UK and allows you to set price alerts.

Here we got a system called "Pricerunner", it is about the same system I imagine.

Good luck with whatever you buy.

@Icy Elemental, I think you are swooning over the HZ2000 so putting aside the ££££s, you are trying to find a reason WHY NOT to buy it, but can't find one🤔.
If the actual cost, when it drops, is not an issue, then go with your heart.....BUY IT :thumbsup:.
Bare in mind that if Panasonic reduce the price, then LG will have done the same so the differential will still be similar. After all i'ts not a choice between a Rolls Royce or a Bentley!.

I'm in a similar situation between the HZ1500 and 'another' so I've chosen the Panasonic and like you, when the price drops a bit more, I'll be splashing the cash.🤑

Everybody go try Ratched on Netflix if you have the premium plan, Dolby vision deluxe colors :D

Quite an interesting read going through this thread. Lots of people fixated on the price and the usual HDMI 2.1 rants. I’m only really starting to appreciate how many people game and how important that is so I will admit I don’t ‘get it’ from that point of view.

My 2p’s worth. Every top end Panasonic I’ve viewed in person looked better to me than LG and Sony. It was not a technical expert view, just an honest opinion and preference.

I remember being absolutely wowed by the CZ952 a few years ago when it was £7k and wishing I could get one but not being able to justify the price.

i personally think Panasonic do near black way better than anyone and that is a really important thing for me and I’m willing to pay more.

PQ is superb, that's all that matters to me.

Most movie lovers like me want this TV but sadly its way too expensive. So settled down with the 65GZ1000.

Strange to see so many criticisms of the price. My first plasma was £7,000 and that was 848x480 panel with no tuner and no speakers! My crappy 65EF950V retailed at £5,000 at launch.

So £4,000 seems pretty reasonable to me. So what if it's much more than the lg cx? In the scheme of things, over the life of the TV, the difference is peanuts IMO.

I get that some people think it's too much and that is fine, but it's not a ridiculous price. People pay £10k for a Rolex Submariner which doesn't even tell the time particularly well.

Strange to see so many criticisms of the price. My first plasma was £7,000 and that was 848x480 panel with no tuner and no speakers! My crappy 65EF950V retailed at £5,000 at launch.

So £4,000 seems pretty reasonable to me. So what if it's much more than the lg cx? In the scheme of things, over the life of the TV, the difference is peanuts IMO.

I get that some people think it's too much and that is fine, but it's not a ridiculous price. People pay £10k for a Rolex Submariner which doesn't even tell the time particularly well.

Hear Hear!. Prices are completely related to an individual's income and outgoings. Brands such as Bang & Olufsen and Loewe are purchased by those whom J P Mogans quote "If you ask how much it costs, you can't afford it" and applies to the likes of premiership footballers.
For many of we slightly better off hoi polloi, PQ is the most important factor so the HZ range fits the bill.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom