Panasonic PMX92....no balance control?!

slicendice

Standard Member
Reaction score
I recently got a Panasonic SC-PMX92 and generally I'm really pleased with it - great little unit for the price with decent sound quality...just what I wanted for my home office.

However, I was somewhat astounded to discover that it's impossible to adjust the balance. On my previous system (Pure) you could control the balance via the menu so I initially thought this would be the same and it was just a case of finding the right menu option. But it's simply not possible - I even contacted Panasonic support and they confirmed it was not possible. Due to the placement of the speakers in relation to where I sit, the sound comes slightly from the right (not possible to put the speakers anywhere else due to the setup of the room). On my old previous system, I was able to just tweak the balance slightly to the left and it was fine.

I'm undecided as to whether I'd replace the entire unit because of such a small issue (in one sense!)...seems a bit extreme. To me, it's unbelievable that such a basic adjustment has been omitted from a brand new hifi, but then I'm wondering if it's the same on all similar spec'd hifis these days? Is anyone able to clarify?

This is a low value unit designed to meet a price point so they will omit features to hit that price point.

Could you offset the louder speaker slightly so it's not pointing directly at you? You may be able to achieve a satisfactory result that way. Otherwise you could simply wire a high wattage resistor in series with the louder speaker. Looks like the speakers are 3 ohm so some experimentation with values around 1, 2 & 3 ohm may get you near enough.

This is a low value unit designed to meet a price point so they will omit features to hit that price point.
Yes I suspected it was probably a means of driving the cost down. I was just surprised at such a basic feature getting chopped...

Could you offset the louder speaker slightly so it's not pointing directly at you? You may be able to achieve a satisfactory result that way. Otherwise you could simply wire a high wattage resistor in series with the louder speaker. Looks like the speakers are 3 ohm so some experimentation with values around 1, 2 & 3 ohm may get you near enough.
That's a possibility I guess - thanks for the suggestion

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom