Panny 6 V Philips Pixel +

patmyhead

Standard Member
Reaction score
HI
any one seen these two plasmas side by side i was about to get the philips but i am not sure now
have seen the 32" version of the philips which was ok but dont realy want or need the speakers
havent been able to see the panny no dealer here has one on display {the joys of liveing on an island} so i have to rely on reviws & what i read on these forum
any coments guys?
P@T :hiya:

hi patmyhead i havent seen the panny 6 or the new philips but if you go by a few models back the panny/toshiba 4 series was better than the philips at the time i had both and the panny/toshiba picture quality was mush better.

hope this helps

yes but the new philips has pixel plus & according to what video is now the one to beat they gave it 5 stars overall
philips price is around £3500 or so havent priced up the panny yet
thanks for your coments jmack
P@T

Hi Patmyhead,

A word of advice. Never form a purchasing decision based on a review in "What Video".

In my early days of buying a/v gear, I purchased an expensive vcr based on a rave review in What Video. Needless to say, its' performance was sub-standard. The picture quality couldn't compare to my eight year old Panasonic.

That's not to say that the Philips is a bad performer, as I haven't seen it in (proper) action, but treat all magazine reviews with a bit of salt.
I seem to remember flicking through an a/v magazine in WH Smith last week (I can't recall which mag it was, but I'll have a look when I'm next in there) and they said that the latest Philips plasma wasn't very good, although the review (If you can call it that) was very brief and poor. It looked almost as if it had been written by a Dixons shop assistant.

I wish I could offer you some advice on which is the better plasma of the two, but on the occassions that I've seen the two in shops, they've been so badly set up that it was impossible to form an opinion.

Goto a decent dealer and demo them properly setup - Panny will cream the opposition :D

as i have said liveing on an island there is not much choice of dealers never mind plasma tv s on display
i know reveiws are only one perspons thoughts but realy that is all i have to go on that is why i posted to get other veiws maybe from end users
P@T

if you cant demo and you have to take other people`s word for it
i would go for the one most people go for and that the panny 6

take a look at the offer on at av sales at the moment all in for £3000
wall mount or table stand
cables
and other stuff i cant remember

i`m sure you would be very happy with this unless you are looking for one with built in tunes and speakers.

good luck

Checked out that deal at AV Sales, wow! £3k for that lot...I was ready with my credit card, but wait, it's the charcoal version only! :confused: Aesthetics can be a pain!

Why would this be? I'll send them an email and ask. Shame they don't sell Mission M53's either...

yes & no tuner either the philips is £ 500 or so more & apart from the speakers looks the part sitting on the stand i like the pic in pic & as a gimic the multable pic in pic + quite a few other options whether i would use them is another matter .picture quality is at the top of my list
i will wait a day or so to make up my mind but a think the philips is the one i will go for
P@T

Said it before, you do know that Philip's development partner is LG don't you? Pixel plus or not, no thank you for £3.5K.

patmyhead

As you say the 'gimmicks' are great to play with and 'obvious' features for a salesman to use when its show time in a shop - but these features are all 'gimmicks'; how often will you ever use PnP?

I guess you also have to factor in what level of Service the various manufacturers offer on your Island - you may find that the Panasonic PWD6 in Charcoal has better back up and support than the PW6 in Silver depending on how Panasonic UK Business or Consumer service IoM.

Go for picture quality first and gimmicks last.

Joe

Sorry patmyhead, I've read through all your posts on this one. Why do you need a tuner? I think most people here have Sky Digital as thier source for day to day programming. Analogue TV is old technology which in most cases looks dreadful on a plasma display anyway. Are you sure you need the tuner at all? I think there is a clip-on silver bezel for the charcoal Panasonic displays - can any retailers out there confirm this?

hey guys nice of you to take the time to comment
my wife uses pic in pic all the time in setting up the video to see the start of programs then to watch on another telly
& leaving me in peace
we cannot get freeview here so thats out of the window
yes i have sky but thats mostly commendeared by the kids & no i dont want a sky mirror subscription sky gets enough of my dosh
analog pictures on my 46" rear pro are not bad & when run through a denon av1sr that upconverts to component look quite good .even almost on a 84" screen
charcole is a big no no i would get murdered, it was & still is hard to convince her indoors that we carnt live without a plasma
P@T

P&T

Panasonic TH-42PW6B can do twin pictures - it'll even mix Video and Data; you just need to configure the inputs and input boards to suit your requirements.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom