Paradigm Persona 5.1 Speaker Package Review & Comments

@Seriously Ltd Thank you for the clarification. Now, I just need my lottery numbers to come up!

I'm not sure why this matters when these speakers are part of a 5.1 system with a sub?
Technically all from the same series but each one has to be purchased individually. My point is from my personal opinion you can buy a sub just as good for half the price. And then buy speakers (ideally all from the same series) with better sound quality and much lower bass response from a different company for less.

Not knocking the Paradigm Persona Series 5.1 package but I myself would only class the Sub as reference. The speakers are nowhere near reference on their own without the sub to compensate for the average low frequency bass response of the speakers.

Last edited:
Again we are also installing a Persona sub in a custom diamond white finish into a million £ London basement room as part of the media room that we have built. (Pictures coming next month)
That makes sense, it's targeted at those people who can afford these easily :)

That's a lot of money for speakers aimed at the AV market.

They are also no compromise 2 channel speakers plus they have the active floorstanders.

They are very expensive indeed but do perform exceptionally well.

We recently specified a £48k 5.1 Persona system. There is a market for this type of product.

These guys have been making excellent audio products forever. I've seen the persona's a few times now and own 2 of the sub1's in my system along with MK300 series monitors. Frankly best of both worlds imo.

They are also no compromise 2 channel speakers plus they have the active floorstanders.

They are very expensive indeed but do perform exceptionally well.

We recently specified a £48k 5.1 Persona system. There is a market for this type of product.

Yeah there is always a far market for such things like this but folks that do buy such things like these dont visit av forums and live in a tax free state or stay at a place close to the Arabian Sea...lol

Yeah there is always a far market for such things like this but folks that do buy such things like these dont visit av forums and live in a tax free state or stay at a place close to the Arabian Sea...lol
You would be surprised😉

To be honest if I was splashing that kind of cash on a home cinema install I would want more than a 5.1 system. But then my last av purchase was a used center that cost £100 so it is unlikely to be a decision that I need to make any time soon!

It is actually cheap for what it is and there is a market for these sets in "cramped" UK,but i cant picture them in a dedicated and light-controlled home theater,where the fronts and the centre would have to be behind a 140" AT projection screen and the glossy finish(even the Vanta black) of the surrounds would be a big no-no.The sensitivity and the dispersion are not up to the highest home theater standards and the sub doesnt really go below 10hz too.

I guess all this is fairly irrelevant for the high-end media rooms they get installed in :)

I wonder how these would compare to Paradigm's own Martin Logan towers and subs. I haven't heard anything yet that I would upgrade to but these look interesting.

.The sensitivity and the dispersion are not up to the highest home theater standards and the sub doesnt really go below 10hz too.
How low do you (a) want (b) does any subwoofer need - to go? I can't think of another subwoofer that goes below 10Hz apart from the soon-to-be-discontinued Paradigm Sub 2.

How low do you (a) want (b) does any subwoofer need - to go? I can't think of another subwoofer that goes below 10Hz apart from the soon-to-be-discontinued Paradigm Sub 2.

My sub 1 will hit below 10hz still with some gumph in it measured/verfied with REW and I have 2 of them which is an extra 6dB. For absolute bowel wrenching bass in the very few and even fewer movies where it actually appears for more than 2 seconds... hang on.. is that actually any movie?... Anywho, you'd have to go up to a set of dual or tri 18's with a massive amp in them to get down to loud single digits.

People endlessly go on about 'chest slam' - you can also measure what you or anyone considers this to be, but for arguments sake it's about 30hz, something I actually have too much of ironically, but squashed to a nice level via room eq.

I don't like the white drivers and didn't know there was a black or custom version as the release models were all blue at the shows. Then @Seriously Ltd has done a few installs with truly custom ones.

I wonder how these would compare to Paradigm's own Martin Logan towers and subs. I haven't heard anything yet that I would upgrade to but these look interesting.

Similar.. maybe a bit better with the Paradigms.

Deep Sea Sound 24,PSA S7201,JTR 4000 and others can do it all day long and there are plenty of movies with an ULF/tactile response content.Even the filtered 30hz soundtracks can be improved with the ever expanding library of BEQ profiles.

They do and it always makes me raise a wry smile.

Chest slam is accidentally walking past Sepultra's PA bass bins right as the drummer is doing his soundcheck during the Chaos AD tour... terrifying.

That would be a good example. And something like these guys . . .

I attended an outdoor event a couple of years back, seriously impressive but the name of those escapes me :rolleyes:

That would be a good example. And something like these guys . . .

I attended an outdoor event a couple of years back, seriously impressive but the name of those escapes me :rolleyes:

Turbosound, Meyer could be anything. We once taped up a hole in a driver with gaffer tape because a DJ blew the cone all over the stage floor the night before the Wildhearts played and in the most surreal turn of events they had Sepultra's crew (different tour) and Big Mick (Metallicas sound man!) there, who during the soundcheck would keep looking up at this huge messed up cabinet flying from the ceiling as we all stared at our shoes..

Those guys use super ULF 10hz bins in their rig - but this is a metal concert - somewhere after any real exposure to +90dB you've gone deaf and all you can feel is the subs which is exciting and probably why so many people like sub bass - I'd argue that more importantly the mood of the movie is more controlled by 90% of midrange and if that's rubbish no amount of BEQ or any other ****ery is going to fix it.

Paradigm have always done a good job of being appealing to HiFi and Home Theatre peeps at the same time, which is why a lot of these Persona installs are on view - it's sexy HiFi.

I'd argue that more importantly the mood of the movie is more controlled by 90% of midrange and if that's rubbish no amount of BEQ or any other ******y is going to fix it.

Why oh why does that b****x have to get a mention :rolleyes:

The rig I last heard was ‘chest slam’

Why oh why does that b****x have to get a mention :rolleyes:

The rig I last heard was ‘chest slam’

Apparently it's of critical importance that 5hz must blow your spleen off. If you really need more than 1 or 2 persona subs in a average sized room, well.. ok. But whatever it is will be the size of a fridge and there's no chance of @Steve Withers dead lifting 300+lbs across his room.

Apparently it's of critical importance that 5hz must blow your spleen off.

I don’t think it’s that tbh, but anyway, if they enjoy it that’s all that matters.

Give me a bigger room and I’d have the Persona setup in a heartbeat. Oh, I’d need the money as well as the room. I nearly forgot that bit.

Apparently it's of critical importance that 5hz must blow your spleen off. If you really need more than 1 or 2 persona subs in a average sized room, well.. ok. But whatever it is will be the size of a fridge.

Yep, single digits certainly do add to the experience, and doesn't need to be the size of a fridge to experience it ;) a Tactile Transducer or a BOSS will provide this in spades.. and for 1/10th of the price it'll cost you buying actual subwoofers :)

If the content's there (unlocked via BEQ) but your subs are incapable of producing it.. you'll know what I mean when your sofa is shaking and your teeth are rattling to a sound of nothing ;)

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom