Parenting - General Chat

CraigofScotland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Didnt quite want to make a thread for my random ramblings . .

Jacqueline is 27 weeks, expecting a boy 1st June.

Got a few weeks off on sick leave so going to take advantage and decorate and flat pack build, get things sorted. (jungle theme)
Its quite early but today was the start of the 3rd trimester so im pushing on with the stuff I can do whilst she brews him :)

Some of you have had such a hard time and been through a lot to have kids, ive so much respect for you all that have kept at it, its amazing to see and an astounding what you've been through emotionaly. It took us 10 months to get going, that was hard enough with tears every time her monthlies came along.

Anyway . . anyone else due a summer kid? Crapping yourself? Do you come home to random baby stuff like muslin cloths and baby grow things .. there was a baby event in the local supermarket, stuff was real cheap but still . .

Attachments

• 2015-01-13 08.02.06.jpg
    2015-01-13 08.02.06.jpg
    641.7 KB · Views: 217
Congratulations. Both mine are summer babies (both born at start of August so must be nothing on TV in November!!!!). Be prepared for a very grumpy other half as the weather starts to warm up and she becomes more pregnant. Late stages of pregnancy and hot weather are not good bed fellows!!!!!!!
Although hard as new parents try not to buy everything that is cheap, recommended etc. as most will end up unused. Also loads of people will buy clothes etc. so buy a few bits to get you going but do not go mad or again you will have a load of unworn clothes lying around.
Other than that, sit back and enjoy the ride.

haha Ive told her not to buy much .. but its tricky as she's super excited. At least some of it is larger sizes 3-6 / 6-9m

All ours were born in October and my wife still struggled in the Summer, so make sure you have lots of fans or even beg, borrow, hire a portable air conditioner if it looks like we're going to have a scorcher.

Congrats! My eldest was a June bug and it was roasting in the maternity ward post-emergency C-section.

Clothes - We've hardly bought any as Birthdays & Christmas have always borne fruit! My son is 3 past in November but is quite small for his age so still going through some 18-24, 2-3 yrs stuff never mind the 3-4yrs!!!

You will get so much advice your head will spin. If you're going to bottle feed then i can suggest the Microwave steriliser. Fast, convenient and portable. We purchased Dr Browns, fantastic thing to have.

Nappies, i can't believe just how many you go through! Have loads, any offers buy them and store as you can never have too many nappies.

Oh, don't forget sleep as you won't get a decent nights sleep for a wee while so take advantage now :)

Congrats to you mate! Great news!

We intend to try and time our 2nd and last one for financial reasons. Not cheap this childcare malarkey when you haven’t got close family that live nearby and have to depend on two incomes to support a family...

We're looking to start trying in Oct/Nov of this year for a potential July/August birth. I realise that those last few tough months of pregnancy will be during the peak of summer, but its a sacrifice worth taking.

Our firstborn was born in late April which is not the best time to tie Children in with starting school in the new Sept term and getting that Nursery Education Grant from age 3 onwards. Our first is 3 in April but won’t be eligible for the NEG until the new Sept term time! That’s 5 months of losing out on a big reduction in childcare costs... Not losing out again thanks!

Although your second will not thank you for being the youngest in the class!!!!!!!! Also being the youngest in the class does lead to some issues with development levels etc. with your child being compared to someone who could be almost a year older than them. There is very little or no account taken for the actual age of the child but only which class they are in.

Our first is due mid to end Aug after years of trying with fertility etc.
Papping myself worrying about the wife going full term or not (even though everything looks fantastic), not even started thinking about after the birth! Keeping an eye on this for some superb advice - as always is the case on here ;)

@Wildkarrde - can I ask where you got the Microwave steriliser from and how much it was?

We have lots of friends who, in the last year or so, have all had baby boy's and girl's. As hard as it was at the time with us not being able to conceive and MC we already know that we have a lot of hand me downs most of which are brand new or never used so don't plan to buy much.

Moved the combi out of the spare bedroom in to the kitchen, which will now become the nursery for little one, 'just' need to strip the wall paper, re-skim 90% of the room, redecorate, carpet, new radiator and buy some sort of nursery set. :D

With regards to the hot summer months close to full term, we have already been offered a couple of portable AC units for the house so that should help!

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
You can get the microwave sterlisers from most places like BabiesRus and Mothercare. They are cheap as well since only a big plastic container to put in the microwave. We bought one but hardly used it since my wife breastfed both of ours and neither liked taking expressed milk from a bottle. By the time they were stopping breastfeeding there was then no need to sterlise (once baby finds its mouth with its hand then sterilising seems a little pointless!!!).
Also remember the nursery decoration and furniture is more for you than it is for the baby. By the time they get to an age to appreciate the furniture etc. you will be redecorating anyway. They will not care for the first few years whether there are bunnies on the cot/wall etc. or not or if they having the matching pictures and lamp shade. Make sure the furniture etc. has the functionality you want more than what it actually looks like. Drops sides to the cot are also very useful. We had a cot bed which in theory sounds great but neither of ours spent much time in the bed variation since as soon as they were big enough to move out of the cot they wanted to be in a 'proper' bed like mum and dad.

Spent yesterday building flatpacks and putting stickers on the wall. Its starting to get very very real!

A bit early for it all but as im off I thought id get too it. Wall stickers are great, super easy to put on and much better quality than I expected.

PANO_20150304_171803.jpg

You know, you could probably rent that room out to another 12 people.....

You realise that that is a fish eye lens don't you?

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Any of you read the mumsnet / babycentre forums . . bloody hell It took me 5 minutes before I raged.

We decorated our boys room similar to you. Plain walls with a large vinyl tree (Etsy have loads). Looks fantastic and easy to remove when we/he wants a different look.

All the best to you both.

All the best to you both.

Our theory behind the stickers were that we will decorate a bit more specific when we know what the wee fella likes. be it super heroes, dinosaurs, football etc.

personally hoping for super heroes :D

Spent yesterday building flatpacks and putting stickers on the wall. Its starting to get very very real!

A bit early for it all but as im off I thought id get too it. Wall stickers are great, super easy to put on and much better quality than I expected.

PANO_20150304_171803.jpg

Looks very similar to our nursery (with our 5 month old little dude in) :)

I'd painted the walls with satin paint and the stickers starting peeling off almost immediately (Matt paint is fine apparently). I've ended up using Blutack on any peeling bits. Not too bad as it makes the leave curl so they look 3D.
Will probably have to remove when he starts walling around grabbing things though :(

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom