Passed my test last year and haven't driven since.

could you get a bank loan out or similar and buy the car outright, say a £6k loan and buy a second hand car? Often the repayments will be lower.

Just to add my two pennies worth, I would say as a driver try and be decisive and commit. Safe but decisive, take the exit at the roundabout, if its the wrong one dont worry you can always turn around, change lanes if thats what you think, when you've done it then reassess. Aborting manoeuvres mid way can be very dangerous and then make other road users around you nervous.

Your confidence will come with time, try and go out when roads are quiet to get some confidence but in all honesty, driving is one of those things that you need to do the practical, thats the only way you'll learn proper. You may know what you want to do, plan your route and have an idea in your head that if this happens then you will do x, y or z but what you cant plan for is the unpredictability of other road users, just be vigilant, anticipate and plan ahead.

Be prepared to make mistakes and learn from them, if you've passed, you're safe enough to drive, try and gain confidence from that, adjusting to different cars and being on own and feeling 'exposed' are part of the process. Keep at it mate, dont let it build into something bigger than it is.

best of luck

Saf

My experience is that a cheap car is likely to go wrong so budget about 1/3rd as much again to keep it on the road.

An MOT is the base point for the car, not an aspiration! Any car must be maintained to this as a minimum level BETWEEN tests, not just when it is tested. Brakes and tyres need to be looked after, but in the whole scheme of things, are pretty cheap.

There's 2 schools of thought when it comes to cars post test. My daughter has a £2K old banger with the odd tint and scrape - and really badly kerbed wheels. If she punts into pole or bangs a kerb, it's not really going to cost anything as it won't be worth repairing, but will that make her a more careful driver than if she had a much newer, more expensive car?? One of her friends has (Had) a 69 plate Fiat 500, but has just written it off by crashing it into a tree, so I am not sure the theory works...

Honestly, to widely open your options up and to really learn to drive.

Why not get some more driving experience with more lessons in a MANUAL. It will improve your driving skills hugely.
Small cars with autos are generally hateful things in your budget. More modern ones with dual-clutch boxes are much better but out your price range if you're not looking to go for a PCP.

Obviously, you'd have to sit your test again though.

I'm not entirely opposed to PCP, and I do think I'm a careful driver, but without the experience I can't be sure I won't back into a lamp post. I don't think I would, but it's just one of those unknowns as I haven't really put my abilities to the test. Yes, I have that basic standard and I should believe in myself more, but it's still quite a big commitment especially during these uncertain times.

I did consider learning manual, I had planned to and I originally went with automatic thinking I'd pass quicker and get on the road faster. I'll think about it, certainly, but I would have liked to have at least been somewhat comfortable and driving on the road regularly before doing so.

The mechanic has been and he doesn't seem to think it is the starter. He's doing us a favour and will try to fix it at the weekend. After looking at all the options being able to fix the old banger would be the most ideal one, it seems. As long as it doesn't turn in to a money pit.

I went with PCP when i handed my company car back, it's certainly not cheap but if you're not fussy about a specific car, you can get some incredible deals if you shop around. I came to the conclusion that i wasn't going to be happy with an old car and accepted the fact that whatever happens, it's going to be expensive with the amount of miles i do.

I wouldn't worry too much about PCP and the condition of the car, yes you'd have to fix any major problems but if you did get something much more modern on PCP, you'll likely end up with parking sensors at the very least, maybe even a reversing camera so you should be fine.

It does sound like you worry a bit much though, get the car fixed and keep it for 6-12 months while you get some practice in and then get yourself a nice shiny new car to enjoy :thumbsup: The freedom of being able to drive absolutely changed my life, as cheesy as that sounds.

Oh and on the subject of manuals, they're WAY overrated in my opinion! I have a manual license but after 6 months i jumped in an automatic and I've never gone back ( There are rare occasions i have to for work) I've had a couple or Mercedes with autos and I've now got a Leon Cupra with a DSG box, absolutely fantastic box. Manuals are becoming more rare, BMW and Mercedes often don't launch a manual version for a while (if at all) and with EVs and Hybrids becoming more popular, manuals will soon be a thing of the past.

Last edited:
I passed my test after not done any practice driving or lessons for 9 weeks previously. Had a 20 min warm up and did the manoeuvres too.

I didn’t have a car and lived in Leeds my parents in Leicestershire. I drove about 100 miles in 22 months when I went to see my parents.

Then at the job I was doing at the time, call centre, my employer opened a new call centre in Cardiff. They needed trained call centre staff to help out as all the Cardiff call centre staff started at the same time. My team with 25 colleagues - as well as the manager and. a coach, only two of us had driving licenses, one of them was me! Half the colleagues went down in the four hire cars. Then the took the non driving colleagues back to Leeds on Sunday afternoon to get the other half of the team for the second week. Then repeat again for two weeks. Also I was only used to driving Corsas, I was given a Mondeo! I have driven on motorways before.

I drove 1000 miles in 4 weeks, ten times more I did in the previous 22 months.

I had a period where I would not drive for a whole year. I had a MRI of my brain and they found a small anerism. I just thought if I had an issue with it whilst driving I might have an accident and kill somebody having seen my Dad's brother suffer a near fatal one a few year back. I just felt after this year off what should I do I needed to be independent again. everything was a drive away and I was bothered but took back to the road and like you would go out really early...6.00am down the Bexhill Beach area just a short drive and then walk and walk and then drive back and never ever Driving with anybody else...taboo and still is really now, I have two anerism's, still small ones but drive solo mainly short distances when I can. You got to push yourself to overcome your fears and it is never going to feel good until you keep at it...good luck.

If you dont feel confident, you could ask a driving instructor to.give you extra lessons or advanced driving lessons, or get someone to sit next to you to begin with.

I.would go for a small reliable japanese car, avoid things like fiat and mini. We have a yaris, 21 years old and still going strong, passes MOT every year. Im.sure if we had bought the fiat punto instead it wouldn't last as long.

Last edited:
Fixed that for you!

62547C4B-FFD6-4728-8777-07A8FCFEDBDC.jpeg

Hmmm.... I beg to differ. Not all small reliable Japanese cars are boring! ;)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom