Passive Pre-amp with XLR balanced input or new power amp?

Dune

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am looking for suggestions for either a passive Pre-amp with XLR balanced input or new power amp with the same.

"Problem":

I have an Audiolab M-DAC+ I'd like to connect optimally via its balanced outputs.

Existing amps are my ancient owned from new Naim 32/140 pre/power amps purchased sometime in the mid 1908's! I have had these serviced twice by Naim so they are working well but obviously don't have XLR input sockets and the M-DAC+ gives off its best connected via its balanced outputs and so I'd like to go that route.

So as I see it there are two solutions given the 32 preamp is redundant (my music is sourced entirely from a NAS with streamer making use of the M-DAC+).

1. Use a passive pre-amp as what is effectively a converter with XLR's in, RCA out (with RCA to Naim DIN lead which I have already).

The only one I have seen searching the Internet with the right connectors is the Schitt Freya (which isn't passive anyway depending how you use it) but I don't want the valves or need it's other facilities.

2. Buy a new power amp with XLR input.

I have been looking at Roksan M2 power amp and Creek 100P but wonder if these would be a sideways move from the 140 anyway. I am also a big fan of Naim partly because of the outstanding reliability and service my 32/140's have given me and Naim's ability to service them decades after I bought them but a new Naim amp (such as a 250 DR) has the same sort of connectivity issues as I have now.

My speakers are Neat Motive SE's (brilliant bit of kit in my view).

Any suggestions welcome.

I am happy to tell you that you have no problems.
Balanced outputs are not the optimal way to connect your DAC to your poweramps.
You may think it is, but it isn't.
Balance outputs have the exact signal as the phono outputs! plus an inverted one.
If one wants to run the DAC in a recording studio, where connections are all balanced, then the DAC would have the right output as well as the right output for home use (the phonos).
Do not worry about a thing, you need no additional hardware.
Just enjoy your music.
For the record, in a home environment, balanced signal has no sound quality superiority to single-ended (phono) signal.

Balnced connections are designed to minimise noise in very low signal/long cable applications, typically with microphones. As above, they offer no real benefit in domestic HiFi other than as a marketing tool.

Well thanks for the two replies but the way the M-DAC+ is engineered does unfortunately result in different performance depending which connector you use. The reason being the RCA output is buffered whereas the output from the XLRS is not.

I know balanced connections were designed for long cable runs but that is not the issue here.

You can make a custom cable to connect balanced out to unbalanced input, however that is only something I would do when the unbalanced input is a professional line level input (1/4" TR instead of RCA) rather than a consumer level input.

For professional level to consumer level, you might want a 10dB attenuator inline with such a cable, therefore may as well just use the RCA outs that already have the correct line level.

I must admit I do often wonder about the excesses that people go to with their home listening equipment. If only they know of the hacks that are often done in audio production (ie further up the signal chain) they would cringe :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom