Path Of Exile

Hey @drinkturps :hiya:

How was your Cleave of Rage build? I'm considering running another build as not too sure LE will be in a great spot at launch so might be happy to give it a bit of a time for them to get it "fixed". Don't want to spend a fortune on it so will be copying your Zerking & Twerking character for the most part but just wanted to see how strong you thought it was or whether there were any issues with it you would have liked to fix? Any tips in general?

Hopefully I will have transitioned into my Occultist Spiders & SRS soon so will look to farm up some currency for it on that.

Cheers,

DrH

Last edited:
Nice! The cleave of rage was a lot of fun and something different. It's not doing mega DPS but it was a good map clearer and delver. You could probably trade for some much better gear than my character and have a lot more fun with it. A Bears Girdle would certainly be on my wish list as it will give you a massive boost to DPS and running around with 120 rage would be very nice. That and a high DPS sword you'll have fun with it.

It's probably not on par for DPS with the meta Boneshatter Jugg but it's not far off.

Following on from the Gauntlet I've got an itch to try something different again. I was looking at the volatile dead builds as it's a skill I've never played and I think my new PC can handle the frames!

So I'm going to run labs until I get either a detonate dead of chain reaction or a volatile dead of seething.

Thx for the advice Turps. My current plan is to utilise 3 unique items I've wanted to play about with for a fairly long time but until this league have always been well outside my budget. Those are a Replica Headhunter, a Replica Farrul's Fur and then the Saviour unique sword. The sword isn't often too expensive but I've not really had a build that would utilise a one hander and I'm interested in trying it out to see what it does. I think it makes copies of you but not too sure. So that was my starting point and once I saw your Cleave of Rage build it felt like it would offer a really good opportunity to put all of them together and not have it be completely terrible......well, hopefully! So not really going for the "optimised" route for gearing but just trying to stack "fun" mechanics. To that end I'm also slapping on gloves that give Rampage as well as an Inspired Learning so I can steal blue mobs modifiers with my Replica Headhunter and a single rare modifier from any rares I kill. The Inspired Learning only grants you the mod for 20 seconds as opposed to the minute you get with both versions of Headhunter now but I still think it will be fun to see what my character ends up getting. I think the main issue with them both is that you get quite a lot of phys as extra type mods so you can't use Brutality but that's fine. I'm just going to go Crit so I'll use Crit Strikes & Crit Damage in place of Rage & Brutality. I'll also be using the Impale support to make getting the 100% chance to impale easier plus it made colouring the Body Armour MUCH easier!

Still quite a ways to go to get all the other bits for the build but I've bought the main 3 now so I'll try to pick up the rest over the next few days / week. The SRS / Spiders build is somewhat on pause as I think I'll just end up trying that out last. I've swapped my character over from the old cold conversion carrion golem Elementalist to the Poison Minion Occultist by running Normal Lab. Just waiting on a few skill gems for them to be ready but as I say, I'll likely be levelling and gearing the Cleave Berserker before that. Trade is pretty weird / annoying at this point though. I was after a ring for the Berserker yesterday. There were two available at 1c and 10c but couldn't get either to respond to messages. Ended up offering 50c for them but still no reply. To be fair the recipients might have blocked my messages at that point! :facepalm: If you aren't offering a Divine for something then people won't stop mapping and even then you might not always get a reply.

Anyways, saw you made a lot of progress with your Detonate Dead Elementalist last night. :smashin: Congrats on getting your Detonate Dead of Chaining! How many lab runs did that take? I don't think I've ever been offered a reward that allows you to get Transfigured versions of the same skill gem. Is that how you got yours or did you just luck into it from the same colour craft?

Last edited:
dreams of a headhunter.........

Merc lab was pretty quick yesterday. The golden key was in the same level as the door so I was able to run a lab every 4 mins with my TR Pathfinder. Was starting to get a bit disillusioned as I got the DD of Scavenging twice and didn't see volatile dead at all. Probably ran about 20 labs before I got the gem, the joys of SSF. All gem transfigs were the of the same colour.

It's recommended to transition into DD later on but I started using it as soon as I got desecrate. Leveled up like a boss with garbage gear and a 4 link. It was such a drastic change from leveling in the Gauntlet.

The gem is pretty bonkers as you get 8 explosions for 1 click. Migrated to the 6 link late last night so will need to mess around with the skill points and gear later today.

Didn't win a thing on the Gauntlet but with so many playing was not that surprised.

Got my DD of Chain Reaction to Lev 92. It's been such fun. Vaaling my DDofCR got me Vaal DD so I was super impressed with that. Even managed to shoehorn in a 4l RF using Volls vision and a rise of the phoenix. It's massive with the Heart of Destruction node. Running T15/16 without any concerns.

It's a shame I've left it late in the league for this character as it's been the most enjoyable. I've still got a lot of room for improvement to make this shine but with Last Epoch launching in a couple of days I feel I may not get the time. Needs a bit more gear before I can go proper bossing but it's not bad now I've got Vaal DD.

However, I really want to try a ball lightning of static Heiro too. I've been like a kid in a sweetshop with all these new gems this league. Best thing they've introduced in a long time.

Yep, this league with all the new skill gems has been a lot of fun. I'm probably done with it for now unless the LE launch goes horribly in which case I might be back for a couple of weeks. But planning on starting LE when it launches or more likely the morning after it launches!

The Cleave of Rage build was a lot of fun. Not too sure it really needs the Replica Headhunter as a Bear's Girdle probably would be better and more consistent damage and buff wise. But it was fun to slap it on with an Inspired Learning before running some maps and just seeing what happened. I actually think it would work even better with the old Blunderbore & Gull combo as shrines were insane for the build. Plus the AoE from Blunderbore you'd be off-screening almost everything I would think. If I could get a couple of inspired learnings in then that would be crazy fun. Not sure I really need the Rampage with the buffs you get from shrines and rage in general. The Saviour sword is also insane. You get two clones of yourself that each attack with your skill at 50% of your damage. They just run around murdering everything for you. Definitely a lot of fun that becomes hilarious with multiple Headhunter buffs and a useful shrine effect.

The Poison SRS + Arakaali's Fang was also pretty cool. It worked fine without the Gravebind gloves. I just put Deadly Ailments on the SRS to make them do less hit damage which I think will have helped with making the poison get more kills so I raise Spiders more consistently. I usually seemed to have out the 20 spiders without any kind of management and the Occultist pops were really nice for clearing packs with the Spiritual Aid node. Ultimately felt like I had played minions enough for the league to want to play it for ages and I still prefer permanent minions over SRS anyways. Fun to try out at least once even if it's to say I probably won't rush to make it again anytime soon!

Nice! Glad the poison SRS worked out for you. Cleave of Rage was a winner as it did not feel like a melee build glad you had fun with it too.

Trying out the the Ball Lightning of Static Heiro and it is probably the strongest character so far. I'm lev 79 and I can run T16 maps without uber lab on my sub-optimal gear. I thought DDofCR was good but I think this is better. With MoM it's proper tanky too.

Looking forward to Last Epoch launch tomorrow but expecting server armageddon.

Yeah, I hope PoE 2 isn't still a year or more away. I think we may end up getting a Beta for it probably end of June or beginning of July this year. I guess it might be a bit later if they want to stagger it against the PoE 1 league that will probably be due around then. I don't know if everyone will have access or whether there will be a way to buy yourself into it. Guess we'll have to see on that front.

The new league announcement stream will be on the 21st March with the league launching on the 29th March. It's going to be called Necropolis.

There will also be a PoE 2 announcement so hopefully that will detail when the beta will launch and who will get access.

POGGERS!

Confirmed that Affliction isn't going core which is definitely what I expected. Also all charms and ascendancies will be removed which is also what I expected but for people that spent a fortune on charms might be a bit of a blow!

Interesting to see if the unique jewels That Which Was Taken stay around as that would make a nice little throwback to the league going forward.

[Edit: Just noticed that they do mention that That Which Was Taken is not going core. I don't think they are getting deleted so might be able to use them in Std. I personally didn't invest in any so not a big deal for me.]

Last edited:
My Ruthless HCSSF run came to an end at innocence. I fumbled in the ball phase. Not having a movement skill of worth is crippling. Also crippling was that I did not find a single support gem that would boost my exsanguinate or reap. Maybe I should have done lab to get Culling Strike on the Scion but hey ho. Won't be back to that for some time as it's way too slow and unrewarding.

Looking forward to the new league reveal.

Whilst everyone was playing PoE2 in LA they put out this change.

Not sure what to make of this one. Reddit is in meltdown. I'm a little confused why they are bringing it in as I usually have an instant skill on left click. Need to see the level 20 stats to see if it improves the cooldowns or not.

I rarely ever have anything on my left click so the change doesn't really impact me personally but yeah, it's a bit of an odd one. Especially by making it strictly worse with the increased mana cost, decreased cooldown and having to give up a gem socket.

So far I've not been all that impressed with the teasers we have been shown. At least there seem to be as many nerfs to things as there do QoL features that I actually care about. Just hope the new league looks good. I don't think it likely it will have the staying power for me that Affliction did if only because it felt much easier than usual to put together multiple builds I wouldn't be able to normally because the market was just all over the place!

Well, got to admit I wasn't that impressed with the look of the upcoming mechanic and there are quite a lot of random nerfs to stuff in the patch notes. Also sad to see that they made it so that Ball Lighting of Static can no longer be used with totems. After you saying that was your best character last league I was hoping to give it a go myself this one.

Looking forward to seeing what we get with the Atlas Passive tree though. Hopefully that will keep maps interesting and rewarding even if it's nowhere near the levels of last league for a lot of players. I think retention will probably be bad if for no other reason than compared to last league mapping might feel pretty unrewarding. I don't think it will make much if any difference to me but I can imagine a lot of people choosing to quit early especially if the league mechanic isn't absolutely insane.

Well, got to admit I wasn't that impressed with the look of the upcoming mechanic and there are quite a lot of random nerfs to stuff in the patch notes. Also sad to see that they made it so that Ball Lighting of Static can no longer be used with totems. After you saying that was your best character last league I was hoping to give it a go myself this one.

Looking forward to seeing what we get with the Atlas Passive tree though. Hopefully that will keep maps interesting and rewarding even if it's nowhere near the levels of last league for a lot of players. I think retention will probably be bad if for no other reason than compared to last league mapping might feel pretty unrewarding. I don't think it will make much if any difference to me but I can imagine a lot of people choosing to quit early especially if the league mechanic isn't absolutely insane.
Where to start! Quite a lot to take on board. Gutted for Ball lightning of static, can't be many spells where it cannot be used by a spell totem. There's also some other stuff like items with all white sockets can no longer drop, so those white 6links I got last league I will never see again. The Void div card now an uber drop is sad.

League mechanic seems like a lot of work and remembering where you've placed things. From a SSF point of view looks mandatory but it seems a lot of faffing about. Could be some redemption with the gems not affected by socket colour prefix but need to see how rare it is.

Atlas rework looks good. Frostblink has been buffed so thinking of the ignite frostblink starter would also make a good lab runner. I may practice that again. Toxic Rain is still my fave starter as it needs nothing and goes zoom zoom but may try something different.

Necro with 1% minion life leech and vaal pact could be very strong. Detonate dead untouched again. :eek:

As usual will let the others do the hard work.

EDIT: Did you see the chest pet that walks about and the turtle hideout? Shame they are not in the same bundle.

I've been after a new hideout for ages and the Space Turtle is looking very appealing. If not for the fact it's $90 and I don't really like any of the other stuff that comes with it. If I decide not to go for it the Mimic Stash at only $30 looks like decent value or even the $60 pack looks pretty good as I actually like the armour in that one and the map device is pretty cool too. But the only thing that I really want is the space turtle!!! :facepalm:

I'm still a little unclear to me as to whether the league mechanic is forced or skippable. Any idea if you have to interact with the lantern thing in order to enter a new zone or can you just not click it and then enter the zone without any of the Haunted / Devoted monsters? I can't really think of too many leagues where there wasn't an option to just opt out of it completely!

[ Edit: Looks like the new Atlas Passive Tree is out so I'm off to play with that for a bit!! ]

I've been after a new hideout for ages and the Space Turtle is looking very appealing. If not for the fact it's $90 and I don't really like any of the other stuff that comes with it. If I decide not to go for it the Mimic Stash at only $30 looks like decent value or even the $60 pack looks pretty good as I actually like the armour in that one and the map device is pretty cool too. But the only thing that I really want is the space turtle!!! :facepalm:

I'm still a little unclear to me as to whether the league mechanic is forced or skippable. Any idea if you have to interact with the lantern thing in order to enter a new zone or can you just not click it and then enter the zone without any of the Haunted / Devoted monsters? I can't really think of too many leagues where there wasn't an option to just opt out of it completely!

[ Edit: Looks like the new Atlas Passive Tree is out so I'm off to play with that for a bit!! ]
What I've seen is that if you do not interact with the lantern thing it will just randomise what monsters get what stats. I believe it's only 3 modifiers in the campaign and then it ramps up when you get to maps. Can't avoid it.

I'm with you on the space turtle, it's the only thing in that bundle that appeals to me too. Still on the fence what to start with. The frostblink iginite was pretty solid in testing. I tried a ball lightning heiro and not having arcane cloak on left click is bad. Found it a bit too squishy as a starter although I probably put my points in the wrong places. However there is room for automating stuff.

Well, guess we just have to hope it's not ridiculously over-tuned like Betrayal was when it launched. That's the last time I can recall having the league mechanic as always present. Oof, I still remember those healing towers in fortification making the Syndicate members completely un-killable and stepping inside the forts would be an instant one-shot to more or less anything! :facepalm:

I know when I did my Hiero I just stuck with CWDT + Steelskin instead of Arcane Cloak. However I also got a couple of charms with gain 2% of life , ES &Mana on kill which definitely made mapping feel nice and smooth. Not least that everything was pretty much instantly frozen and then shattered as well. I do really like the look of Archmage + Ball Lightning but I think Pledge of Hands will be insanely expensive this league for exactly that reason.

I think I'll be league starting Popcorn SRS as a Necro. I've not played it before but with the double nerf to Guardian for SRS levelling it seems like a good league to try it out. There's the option down the line to pivot into poison SRS should I wish to do so too. I'd love to do something with Spectres and the new Wraithlord Helmet as that seems absolutely nutty. I think my first ever minion build in PoE was a Solar Guard spectre build but back then the spectre mechanics were super annoying. You had to pay to access somebodies portal to the Shaper fight as Spectres were linked to area level and every time you lost a spectre it felt really bad! I definitely prefer how much easier it is to manage spectres now. Unfortunately I guess that helmet will be ridiculously expensive but maybe just getting a +1 to level of all minions version might come down to a semi-reasonable price at some point.

I think with the changes to the Atlas passive tree it will be interesting to see if map sustain and progression becomes more difficult. I think I'll be bee-lining straight for the Kirac missions and map level chance nodes in the hopes that those help. After that probably look to get some Harbinger stuff going for the easy access to Horizon orbs.

I spy with my little eye something beginning with M......

PoE Mageblood JPEG.jpg

Character still quite a mess (as it's very old) but have the bow, body armour, belt (obviously) and gloves sorted. Maybe run a new LA character next league to try and get all the bits to finish them off! Still missing the Diamond Flask for them but again, maybe try and get that in the league.

Fortunately found an old Quicksilver flask with increased effect and 26% MS explicits. I don't think I ever really liked the reduced flask effect duration on it hence I never really valued that specific roll back in the days you could still get up to 30% MS. Anyway, this one is good enough for me. Hit the 70% increased flask effect on a couple of flasks as well this morning! :clap:

Super happy I elected to sell all my expensive charms as I always felt they were likely to go "poof" at the end of the league. To the guy that bought one off me for 50 Divines I feel for ya!

After a few experiments I've decided to go RF Chieftain for my starter. I didn't think it was possible to run it so early until I tried for myself. Phox has been doing all the heavy lifting last league and at level 20 you can run RF and be able to sustain it. Didn't believe it, tried it out and it works. With 2 quicksilvers it's going to be nice, speedy and lazy.

He recommended using a witch mule to get rolling magma, fire wall etc but I leveled up with Molten Strike/Flame Totem until I hit the Fire Mastery, grabbed as much Fire Res as I could and switched to RF. Works just fine.

Trying to work out the league launch time and it looks like it's 7.00pm tomrrorow.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom