Question PC client / controller to "route" FLAC audio files over a home network from a Windows or Linux server to Primare NP30 streamer?

halifaxpeter

Standard Member
Reaction score
I want to use my Primare NP30 media streamer to play FLAC audio files that are stored on my servers (2 identical libraries, one on a Windows Server, the other on a Debian Linux / OMV server...long story!).

At the moment I'm using the Primare app on an Android device to select where to pull FLAC files from on the network *and* then route the files to the Primare NP30 so it can actually stream the files. Unfortunately there isn't a version of the Primare app for Windows. This isn't great because rather than having a convenient desktop client to use when I'm working at my PC, I first have to unlock my phone, then wait for it to reconnect to the home network over wifi, then for it to find the file server as well as the NP30 before I can finally select tracks etc etc.

So, can anyone suggest a Windows PC app which will do the same job as the Primare app?

The important feature is that the app *must* be able to route the FLAC files from where they're stored on my home network (i.e. not on the local PC client) and then route them over the network so they're then played on the Primare media streamer (i.e. the app must *not* play the files locally on the PC...what's the point in having a Primare streamer with a top notch DAC otherwise?).

I've looked at a fair number of clients but so far I've been unable to find one which will act as a 'controller' rather than a 'player' so I can just 'route' the files over the network to the Primare...

Many thanks in advance!

I think you'll need to install something on one of your servers, but as long as you're OK with that.

Top end/paid for: Roon running on one of your servers streaming to the Primare via it's built in Chromecast. Controlled by the Roon desktop or mobile apps.

Free/but some setup: Logitech Media Server + LMS-to-uPnP plugin (or LMS-to-Cast plugin) + Material skin. The plugins/skins can be installed from within LMS. Controlled via web interface (material skin) or various iOS/Android/Desktop clients.

Kazoo/BubbleUPnP: A DLNA / UPnP server running on one of your servers (the OMV MiniDLNA plugin is probably easiest) if you haven't already got one running, along with Bubble UPnP (to expose your Primare as a OpenHome renderer). Controlled by Linn’s Kazoo app on Windows. This will also work with LMS if you enable the UPnP/DLNA Media Interface plugin and run Bubble UPnP alongside it.

Other options: You could run a media server like Plex on one of your servers and cast to the Primare as a Chromecast device via the Plex mobile/desktop apps.

Last edited:
At a very basic level the Primare should appear as a media device within Windows. You can then right-click on files on your NAS & Cast to Device. But it is VERY basic.

The LMS solution suggested by @jamieu would be worth exploring but as he said, may require a bit of effort to get the plugin working with the Primare.

UPDATE - After my habitual days of fiddling around I have installed both the OMV MiniDLNA plugin and Bubble UPnP (as an OMV Docker via Portainer) and am now happily listening to tunes streamed from my Plex server to my Primare NP30, controlled by the Linn Kazoo desktop client app. Job done, huge thanks to everyone!

Many thanks jamieu, great information.

I'm happy to fiddle around to get something to work on my server, the online communities are hugely helpful, even to a novice like me. A few comments on your suggestions:

Top end/paid for: yes, Roon looks like a Rolls Royce solution and while it'd be great to have that kind of capability it's much more than I need for just audio 'routing' and way beyond my budget.

Free/but some setup: Logitech Media Server + LMS-to-uPnP plugin (or LMS-to-Cast plugin) + Material skin - this looks a really interesting, if pretty challenging, solution so I'll come back to this if I can't make Kazoo etc work for me.

Kazoo/BubbleUPnP: My server is already running OMV so I'm already on the way with this one so this is where I'll start. I had a quick look at Bubble UPnP server and it looks do-able. I did look at Linn’s Kazoo app previously to see if it would work natively but no go. The app looks good aesthetically but I can see lots of Linn users who are less than thrilled with its stability. We'll see...

Other options: I am running Plex on my OMV server so the Chromecast option is a good (and relatively inexpensive) option if I fail on the options above.

Thanks again!

Last edited:
Thanks RBZ5416, appreciate the contribution.

Yes, I can see the Primare as a media device over the network within Windows but the 'casting' is really flakey and, as you say, it's beyond clunky as a solution: it seems almost insulting to use it with a Primare streamer!

I have found one native Windows desktop app that *does* allow me to "route" a FLAC file over my network from a server to the Primare streamer, using uPnP, it's the JRiver Media Centre (go here JRiver Media Center). It's a paid for app at $60 after a trial period. I've tried it. On the upside it works as advertised but on the downside it's one of the ugliest UIs I've ever used and a user experience torture chamber. Just a personal view...YMMV :)

Thanks again

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom