Pennyworth Season 1 Blu-ray Review & Comments

brian s

Distinguished Member
Nice review Cas. I wasn't at all interested when I first heard about this one. Reading that I could almost be tempted but I'm really struggling with Gotham season 4 and Batwoman. I'll leave it for now.

Bri

monkeyboy69

I dipped my toe in tentatively with the 1st episode but I felt it was fantastic and well worth the time. I even enjoyed Paloma Faith who brought a comedic , dark side to the series. It had a bit of everything and he definitely played it like Michael Cane which again I liked as he was Nolans Alfred

gunark

It’s good, especially when you get into the universe of an exaggerated comic book Britain (though the British characters seem to be from the Big American Book of British cliches, especially Paloma Faith’s character who would be much better without the Corrie affectations). But Americans and their guns, man, so many guns to the point it’s frankly phallic. It would be as good, if not better without half of the ultraviolence.

brian s

Distinguished Member
It’s good, especially when you get into the universe of an exaggerated comic book Britain (though the British characters seem to be from the Big American Book of British cliches, especially Paloma Faith’s character who would be much better without the Corrie affectations).
Sounds like there may be a slight touch of The Avengers about it too then. Steed and Mrs Peel that is rather than Captain America and Thor.

Bri

nitram_tpr

I stumbled across this a few months back and thoroughly enjoyed it. My missus even watched it all with me, I think it's because she loves something with a vintage twang to it.
It isn't *too* superhero'ey either.
Really looking forward to a season 2 if one ever comes.

SOUNDVISION

Nice review Cas. I wasn't at all interested when I first heard about this one. Reading that I could almost be tempted but I'm really struggling with Gotham season 4 and Batwoman. I'll leave it for now.

Bri
Pennyworth is nothing like Gotham, Batman, l think Pennyworth is better, more entertaining better acted to

Jim Di Griz

Distinguished Member
Thanks Cas. So you got every penny's worth then? ;)

wolfie138

ok what's the deal w/ this, episode number and length? amazon just says one disc? no way i'm paying £29 for that, the price of TV seasons is just taking the **** lately.

brian s

Distinguished Member
ok what's the deal w/ this, episode number and length? amazon just says one disc? no way i'm paying £29 for that, the price of TV seasons is just taking the **** lately.
I'd have imagined it would be 2 discs for 10 episodes but it's still overpriced. Definitely one to wait for a price drop.

Bri

mikemag

Distinguished Member
From the blu-ray.com review:

“Non-subscribers will appreciate Warner Archive Collection's brand-new Blu-ray set, which collects all ten episodes (most of which run approximately 50-60 minutes apiece) on three dual-layered discs.”

brian s

Distinguished Member
From the blu-ray.com review:

“Non-subscribers will appreciate Warner Archive Collection's brand-new Blu-ray set, which collects all ten episodes (most of which run approximately 50-60 minutes apiece) on three dual-layered discs.”
Ah so they're longer than the standard of around 42 minutes.

Bri

wolfie138

thanks for the info. bit better price-wise but still, for zero extras I think i'll await a price drop. I pay about the same for Better Call Saul but you get tons of extras on those including commentaries on every episode etc.

Candaules

I've been watching this on Amazon prime. (It's available in France, where I live, but maybe not yet in the UK.)
I am enjoying it, but I don't think I'd pay £29. (Too many moments when I have to look away from the ultra violence).