Pennyworth Season 1 Blu-ray Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
Nice review Cas. I wasn't at all interested when I first heard about this one. Reading that I could almost be tempted but I'm really struggling with Gotham season 4 and Batwoman. I'll leave it for now.

Bri

I dipped my toe in tentatively with the 1st episode but I felt it was fantastic and well worth the time. I even enjoyed Paloma Faith who brought a comedic , dark side to the series. It had a bit of everything and he definitely played it like Michael Cane which again I liked as he was Nolans Alfred

It’s good, especially when you get into the universe of an exaggerated comic book Britain (though the British characters seem to be from the Big American Book of British cliches, especially Paloma Faith’s character who would be much better without the Corrie affectations). But Americans and their guns, man, so many guns to the point it’s frankly phallic. It would be as good, if not better without half of the ultraviolence.

It’s good, especially when you get into the universe of an exaggerated comic book Britain (though the British characters seem to be from the Big American Book of British cliches, especially Paloma Faith’s character who would be much better without the Corrie affectations).

Sounds like there may be a slight touch of The Avengers about it too then. Steed and Mrs Peel that is rather than Captain America and Thor.

Bri

I stumbled across this a few months back and thoroughly enjoyed it. My missus even watched it all with me, I think it's because she loves something with a vintage twang to it.
It isn't *too* superhero'ey either.
Really looking forward to a season 2 if one ever comes.

Nice review Cas. I wasn't at all interested when I first heard about this one. Reading that I could almost be tempted but I'm really struggling with Gotham season 4 and Batwoman. I'll leave it for now.

Bri
Pennyworth is nothing like Gotham, Batman, l think Pennyworth is better, more entertaining better acted to

ok what's the deal w/ this, episode number and length? amazon just says one disc? no way i'm paying £29 for that, the price of TV seasons is just taking the **** lately.

ok what's the deal w/ this, episode number and length? amazon just says one disc? no way i'm paying £29 for that, the price of TV seasons is just taking the **** lately.

I'd have imagined it would be 2 discs for 10 episodes but it's still overpriced. Definitely one to wait for a price drop.

Bri

From the blu-ray.com review:

“Non-subscribers will appreciate Warner Archive Collection's brand-new Blu-ray set, which collects all ten episodes (most of which run approximately 50-60 minutes apiece) on three dual-layered discs.”

From the blu-ray.com review:

“Non-subscribers will appreciate Warner Archive Collection's brand-new Blu-ray set, which collects all ten episodes (most of which run approximately 50-60 minutes apiece) on three dual-layered discs.”

Ah so they're longer than the standard of around 42 minutes.

Bri

thanks for the info. bit better price-wise but still, for zero extras I think i'll await a price drop. I pay about the same for Better Call Saul but you get tons of extras on those including commentaries on every episode etc.

I've been watching this on Amazon prime. (It's available in France, where I live, but maybe not yet in the UK.)
I am enjoying it, but I don't think I'd pay £29. (Too many moments when I have to look away from the ultra violence).

Pennyworth is definitely developing a new genre for future DC comic book characters introducing a level of premeditated violence that is not for the squeamish, the torture scenes may not be in your face but the obvious sadistic malevolence of the emotionless criminal characters inflicting the pain is.
Gotham also had its own stylized violence but kept a surreal sometimes satirical comic book look to compliment the familiar 'Batman' criminals as they developed, Pennyworth is creating its own alternative DC universe which looks like Britain never recovered from WWII with barrage balloons and airships, becoming a 1960's totalitarian society of damaged souls living in purgatory. I guess this is borrowing from Batman's dark universe but some sunlight must be seen on occasion so I'm not sure the way life is today how some viewers will find much that Pennyworth offers that entertaining, it's a series for die hard DC comic book / Batman fans to ponder over.
Production standards are excellent, this is why I give Pennyworth 7 out of 10.

Pretty sure I watched this series about a year ago. I watched the full series in two 'visits'. Nobody seemed to be talking about it, which amazed me.

The way the story unfolds over the season is completely over the top, but at the same time massively entertaining.

My advice, 'watch it', its really that good.

Scores on the doors 9.2/10

just watched the first ep on a free 7 day trial on Amazon; absolute belter. fantastic look, great characters. loved teh fact he lives on Micklewhite Ave :-D

Well, that was storming entertainment all around. never thought i'd say this about any film but i loved the Queen - something about how subtly refined and sexy Jessica Ellerby is, and her gorgeous accent.
i am, however, wondering why the hardcase Scots character is a totally different one who was introduced in Gotham...seems a tie-in/connection could have been made and expand on what was shown in that show.
doesn't detract though, i loved the show so much that i'd actually have picked up the box set if not for the fact the discs have no extras whatsoever ~ it's a 'ing insult to a fabulous show, i want to know so much more about the design, costumes, credit animations etc etc etc. Overpriced though it is i would have forked out had they shown a bit love, i don't get that thinking at all - are they trying to bury the show, or deliberately drive away customers in some sort of tax write-off plot or, just gouge the fans' eyes out or something? Vastly overprice the discs then add no extra content at all that might mitigate the cost? How's that a sensible commercial model?

oh well, roll on Season Two.

Well I got the blu for £12 and watched the pilot last night. I was very worried that Paloma Faith wouldn't work but her early scenes were pretty good. Shortly afterwards some of the scenes reminded me so very much of Absolute Beginners which us a film I love. After that it was a bit and miss but there was a lot of fun to be had. We laughed aloud at a couple of bits. Tonight we watched the second episode and got anither Absolute Beginners vibe. Not a bad episode. When we switched back to standard tv Strictly Come Dancing was on and Bruno Tonioli is/was a judge on it and he was in Absolute Beginners so guess what we watched after Pennyworth. I'm not sure how well the show will pan out over 10 episodes but it's pretty good so far and we loved Absolute Beginners all over again.

:)
Bri

We're motoring through this. It was episode 6 tonight. Based on what we've seen this is one of the best if not the very best DC tv show so far, apart from the Adam West Batman of course :laugh: There was one very confusing thing tonight though. I know it's set in an alternative universe version of the UK but up until now the show has clearly been set in the 60s and the pop music soundtrack reflected that.. Tonight's episode had Pigbag's Papa's Got A Brand New Pigbag on the soundtrack. This was a favourite of ours from 1981. It was also used in the other related Danny Cannon show Gotham. That Gotham episode also had a track from Rip Rig And Panic. Both Pigbag and Rip Rig And Panic were spin off bands from The Pop Group. I'm assuming Danny or someone close to him is a big fan of these bands.

Bri

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom