People's experiences with IMAX Laser 3D?

leeuk321

Established Member
Reaction score
Just wondering what people's experiences were with films screened in Imax Laser 3D? I've seen 3D films in normal cinemas and Imax (non-laser), and haven't been blown away by the format. I absolutely prefer 2D to 3D as things are, but I didn't know if Imax Laser 3D is a game-changer or not? If anyone could chime in their experiences (and also if you're a fan of non-laser 3D, to get a point of reference) I'd really appreciate it.

Does it make a difference - yes the picture is far brighter and more solid

I always liked 3D films and after i saw my first film in 4k Imax laser 3D i made a point of getting a cineworld card so I could watch all the 3D films i wished in the format.

(Dolby Cinema and other 4k laser formats offer a similar improvement in my experience.)

That said if you don't like 3D you're not going to know until you take the Pepsi challenge and try it for yourself - I can only whole heartedly encourage you to go watch Alita in Imax Laser 4k 3D as it really shows what the format is capable of and will let you know if its for you.

I hate 3d (RealD) in cinemas but as Vila says, laser 3d is better than normal 3d with a higher dynamic range and brightness. But it ain't a gamechanger imho. There are still sometimes ghosting issues and picture brightness/colour are really not that significantly more improved.

The gamechanger for me are blu ray 3d movies on a virtual big screen inside a virtual reality headset. All the issues associated with cinema 3d is eliminated, brightness, colour dynamic range, ghosting. All gone in VR!

Last edited:
Thanks for your replies. I'm in Manchester tomorrow anyway, so I think I'll give it a go and catch Alita 3D at the new Laser Imax screen at Vue Manchester Printworks. I've got a feeling based off both of your inputs that it'll be a better experience of 3D for me, but ultimately I imagine it probably won't sway me to prefer it over 2D. It'll be worth it though if anything just to scratch the itch of curiosity, and see what all the fuss it about.

Cheers!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom