Perplexing problem with 1 Freeview Connection. Can anyone help

Benjamescook

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Im very new here so i apologise for any bad ettiquette.

Ive just switched my parents from Sky to BT. I set up the BT box and scanned for freeview channels about 2 weeks ago. it was all set up fine. It didn't get touched for 2 weeks as they watched Sky till that ran out. When they went back to the BT Box, the freeview channels have all gone. Ive rescanned, tried different cables, different TV's etc all the same.

I cannot understand why it was working and now its not, also there are 2 other freeview connections in the house that work really well.

Its beyond my expertise and problem solving but its very frustrating!!! All help is appreciated thanks.

Welcome to the forum.

If you have known good freeview aerial connections elsewhere in the house, take the box to one of those and rescan for channels again.

If the scan is successful - do not rescan again - even if you loose the channels upon moving the box back to the original location.
Such would indicate there is some reception problem and the channels will return when that problem is solved.

If the scan fails - there may be a problem with the box.

Also be aware before you try any of the above that HDMI cables can emit interference which is capable of knocking out all freeview reception - so try it in its original location with a different HDMI lead, and keep it well away from all UHF cables.
The UHF flyleads should be well screened with well made connections to ensure the interference does not leak into them.

Did/does the aerial connection pass through the $ky box and has it been powered off?

If yes connect aerial direct to BT box and out from there to the TV (as well as the hdmi connection).

IF you've tried Gavtech's suggestion to move BT box to another 'good' aerial connection and it still doesn't work then either a very marginal signal (BT boxes are 'fussy' about the signal level, I read) or it has possibly gone faulty, in which case try the BT box on another aerial system (family, friend or neighbour) if that can be done safely (Covid distancing etc.,.) before contacting the supplier of the box?

Did/does the aerial connection pass through the $ky box and has it been powered off?

If yes connect aerial direct to BT box and out from there to the TV (as well as the hdmi connection).

IF you've tried Gavtech's suggestion to move BT box to another 'good' aerial connection and it still doesn't work then either a very marginal signal (BT boxes are 'fussy' about the signal level, I read) or it has possibly gone faulty, in which case try the BT box on another aerial system (family, friend or neighbour) if that can be done safely (Covid distancing etc.,.) before contacting the supplier of the box?

Thanks for your reply

The connection is direct from the wall to the BT Box. Ive also tried direct from the wall to the TV and to a different TV. All produce no signal. But if i take the TV or the BT Box to one of the other access points in the house, it all works fine. So confusing

Then there's a problem with that cable or where it comes from.

Is there one (or more) aerials on the house?

If one aerial how are the three (or more?) locations fed from that single aerial? A passive or active (amplified) splitter will be required to do so, where is it?

Check the cable for damage and re-make the plug if it is at all suspect (even the smallest whisker of outer braid contacting the centre core can kill reception. Wiring up plugs, aerials and wall plates - A.T.V. Poles, Brackets, Clamps & Aerials shows how to.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom