Philips 30" LCD

Gregorski

Novice Member
Reaction score
Has anyone seen this side-by-side with the Sharp? This is a new screen which has just been launched by Philips who have expanded their flat TV range significantly.

I was wondering if anyone has any views on how good this screen is compared to the Sharp. I saw the Philips in a shop here and was impressed with it. The response time is allegedly 13ms and the viewing angles are quoted as 176 deg in both planes. They even quote the viewing angle as better than their plasmas which will surprise a few people on this forums.

So. Has anyone seen it, and what do you think of the picture quality ?

I want to buy a flat TV but the Plasma's are just too big...

I recently saw the sharp and sony 30" side by side in Harvey Nichols in Leeds. Both were being fed the same dvd pic which I was told was RGB. The sharp was much better than the sony and was VERY impressive.

They had the philips accross the road in Dixons. it was playing Lilo and Stich (?) and looked ok. viewing angle did not seem as good. Pic quality was hard to judge as it looked like a composite feed. Also it was very "chunky" due to the imbilt tuner which also meant you could see scart leads etc between the screen and the stand

saw it the other day and bought it straight away amazing quility best screen ive owned.i bought a hitachi 400e the other week and i like that aswell but i have to say the phillips is better

Must admit I have seen the philips in another couple of shops and it DID look good- how are you getting on with it now- what is tyhe black level like and sound quality?

I have just bought a hk dvd25 and wanted to use it with pal pro- not sure if the philips takes it though ?

Thanks guys. I was also a bit nervous about the built in tuner. The seperate media box solution is more elegant in my view, but I like the looks quality and price of the Philips more than the others.

hi there

i saw the philips lcd in comet. it has pixel plus if were talking about the same one....

this one looked great from the other side of the store but close up it looked a little less attractive.

i played the matrix on it and i got blockie pictures in still sections and little black dots left behind when in a fast section.

this just maybe the way the set was setup at comet but it put me off str8 away.

jay

As far as I am aware, the pixel plus can be tailored to your liking or even switched off.

hi

didnt get to play with it much. for some reason comet dont like customers in there store.

from what i saw i was a little disappointed but like you say there are menus etc that can be played with.

also the brightness of this tv was up very high this also may have had something to do with it. all other lcds looked like they were switched off in comparison....

also comet dont exactly set them up very well. how your supposed to make a decsion looking at there system ill never know.

jay

I saw one in Curry's last night and the picture was great. No fast moving scenes to test out the pixel plus though. I'd probably want to take a DVD in to check it out.

hi again

i pulled 3 dvds to take with me.

independance day
panic room (superbit version)
swordfish

i then realised these were all region 1's

so i took

the matrix
fast and the furious

they looked great on the tv i was looking at (philips 42pf9955)
matrix looked good on the lcd until the fast bit.

but as i didnt have access to a remote or anything on that tv plus store detective thinking i was gonna put it up my shirt. didnt realy get a good go of it. not really fair to judge it on that one scene i suppose.

jay

AndyA,

Now you've had your Philips LCD for a few weeks, could you give us some impressions on this? e.g How does SKY or terrestrial look on it ? Do you see any of the pixellation other people mention on fast motion images ?

I am interested in buying one and I'd like your views, particularly on TV signals. I know it looks good with DVD, but in a shop its usually hard to tell how good the TV image quality is.

i only use it for the computer so no burn in like the plasma .ive played a games on it and the response time is the best ive seen so far.there is still a slight trail but no were near as bad as you would think .i think with any panel weather it be plasma or lcd you need to see it yourself

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom