Philips 55OLED754 - digital output delay

guygampell

Novice Member
Reaction score
Me again.... another issue with the 55OLED754, is that the digital output feeding my external AV systems is massively out of sync with the picture, delayed by approx 250msecs. I have gone through all the menus and found in "Advanced" a setting for Digital Out Delay on or off, but changing it makes NO difference.

In my AV amp I adjust individual small delays per speaker to time align them according to distance from seating area, but I can;t "undo" a delay that is already prevalent at the input, I can also vouch for the fact the AV Amp is NOT contributing the delay since there is no issue with sync when watching a bluray disk or some other source.

Anyone else find this problem? is it a fault? I would expect turning off the delay would bring it back in sync, but it doesn;t

Guy

Anyone else find this problem? is it a fault? I would expect turning off the delay would bring it back in sync, but it doesn;t

Do you have a sync problem with a particular source?

I have a problem with a Sky HD box sending Dolby Digital over HDMI to a Philips 43PUS7334/12 where video is ahead of audio on both the inbuilt speakers and a 5.1 amp. The problem gets worse (more out of sync) if you pause, rewind or fast forward the programme on Sky. This isn't fixable by audio delay settings as that is to fix audio before video problems. Plus the delay you're trying to fix has to be consistent!

I've got a case logged with Philips about this at the moment and am hoping a future firmware update will fix it.

Darren

The syn problem is when watching anything originated by the Philips TV itself, e.g. live to air freeview or netflix streamed by the App in the TV, with the optical out going to my AV system., If I use my BT Vision box as source or anything else that goes in to the AV receiver directly and then out to the TV cvia HDMI, then there is no sync issu.

When you set Digital Out Delay to On, the option below called Digital Out Offset is then enabled which will allow you to set how much the audio should be delayed before being sent to the amp. The default value is 0 (no delay) so try increasing in increments to see if it helps.

Cheers,

Darren

there is no "digital out offset" visible on my TV, though it would make sense, Its on or off (delay) and when "on" no other menu comes up, and listening to there is no difference between On and Off

It is there... Digital Delay Offset is directly directly below Digital Out Delay in the Advanced menu. It's greyed out when Delay is Off but selectable when Delay is On. See pages 40 and 41 in the User Manual for your model.

Cheers,

Darren

I found it thanks, but it makes the problem worse, i.e. set to zero the audio is already delayed compared to the video, I need to delay the video, not the audio. Dialling up the audio offset delay only increases the sync error, as I wrote above the audio output is delayed compared to the video so enabling delay and adding more only makes things worse. I need to delay the video, or understand why the audio is (delayed when delay is off or set to zero)

On my 934 I found lip sync issues from my external Humax Freeview box was resolved by changing picture motion to off. Not sure if this could help in your situation though.

When using an external box (in my case a Humax built "BT" box" there are no sync issues, it's when using the internal Freeview tuner in the TV connected to an external AV system, the sound is delayed (with delay set to off), and only increases if enable (and therefore add more) delay,
:-(

I've got a Philip's tv, a 2017 model.

Same issue, audio delayed on Netflix.

No way of fixing.

I cancelled Netflix.

same tv and same problem here I'm in touch with philips but if i don't hear back soon i will be returning it as unfit for purpose which would be a shame its a great picture.

did you ever hear back or get it sorted?

yes i got a response from phillips the problem was with my virgin box i changed the audio out from dolby to dolby/pcm and has been fine for months now

Thanks for the reply. I know PCM works, but that isn’t really a solution as you lose 2.1 and 5.1 Dolby sound.

doesnt hdmi carry 8 channels of pcm? my soundbar is only 2 channel so dont know if its sending a 5.1 pcm signal.

Man. I just got this TV and it has soooo many issues. Can't believe you can spent this much on a TV and it be such a mess.

My audio is delayed to the point I can't tolerate it.. youtube is fine.. but HMDI inputs and the built in amazon prime app are delayed. I've tried unplugging the tv and plugging it back in.. Then there's the motion.. anything that's not dolby vision or HDR on youtube is full of blur halos, images flickering and fading in and out, big blocky artifacting when things move too fast in sport or any of the non movie modes rendering them useless which sucks because they look so amazing and smooth when things move slowly. Game mode is fine.. but the worst thing of all is you're not even allowed to use game mode with the built in software apps.

I don't have any issue with the input lag either.. I find it acceptable and unnoticeable, which makes the audio delay even more perplexing.

Audio delay is a terrible thing because there is no way of fixing it.

You're at the total mercy of the manufacturer, waiting for a software update to remedy the issue.

And that day may never come...

Man. I just got this TV and it has soooo many issues. Can't believe you can spent this much on a TV and it be such a mess.

My audio is delayed to the point I can't tolerate it.. youtube is fine.. but HMDI inputs and the built in amazon prime app are delayed. I've tried unplugging the tv and plugging it back in.. Then there's the motion.. anything that's not dolby vision or HDR on youtube is full of blur halos, images flickering and fading in and out, big blocky artifacting when things move too fast in sport or any of the non movie modes rendering them useless which sucks because they look so amazing and smooth when things move slowly. Game mode is fine.. but the worst thing of all is you're not even allowed to use game mode with the built in software apps.

I don't have any issue with the input lag either.. I find it acceptable and unnoticeable, which makes the audio delay even more perplexing.
Have you done the latest update? I have absolutely none of the issues you describe, a few people have mentioned the picture issues you're having but maybe have a look around here for some settings, others have had success that way.

Ive not had or heard of the picture issues either, check you have the latest software update

I’ve got the 805 and the lip sync issues are there when with my Sonos Arc, which is very frustrating. Philips requested I sent them a video last week, so we’ll see if anything can be fixed.

Don't hold your breath, I've been sending them files since July.
Still not sorted.

Don't hold your breath, I've been sending them files since July.
Still not sorted.

Are you using a sound bar as well? If they can fix it I’ll be over the moon, as I love the TV and the sound bar, just wished they worked seamless without me changing the HDMI cables.

Are you using a sound bar as well? If they can fix it I’ll be over the moon, as I love the TV and the sound bar, just wished they worked seamless without me changing the HDMI cables.
I'm using a surround amp, so the same thing in essence, it looks like a very common problem when you read around and it would seem it's only the DD channels that have an issue, I also have an issue with the TV only reporting 8bit when I know it's being sent 10bit (don't know if its showing 8 or 10bit )

Last edited:
The sound issue is the real frustrating one for me. I love the sound of my Sonos Arc, but I could look to replace potentially for the Fidelio 95 or 97 in time. I know HD Fury and a fix for it, but it seems a pricey get around with more cables required. I moved away from a 5.1 set up with a receiver to cut down on wires.

Have you done the latest update? I have absolutely none of the issues you describe, a few people have mentioned the picture issues you're having but maybe have a look around here for some settings, others have had success that way.

Yeah I updated it to the latest version prior to typing this.. I didn't notice the audio delay until I did tbh but I was using headphones straight out of the controller on games

I'm on the Saphi version.. are you on the android one?

I contacted and they said.. "no problem we'll run some tests and be in touch.. we've had this problem before.." Well about 5 days later I literally got emailed the audio troubleshooting pages from the bloody manual.. obviously I've already tried this stuff and told them as much.

I've requested a return but it's out of stock. Guess I'll get a cheapy tv and wait for another oled in the future when the tech on the cheaper ones is better.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom