Philips 55POS9002 TV Owners and Discussion Thread

Here is my screen, John Lewis sent out an engineer but said that screen burn is not covered in there 5 year guarantee I argued that it should not have screen burn as there is a system in place to prevent this happening they just fobbed me off .I have looked after this TV and done things by the book and still ended up with this.
Doesn't look like screen burn that I’ve seen associated with OLED’s, where you distinctly see some kind of logo edges, or where games and sport programmes display high colour and contrast information areas for long periods of time.

If it were me I’d contact Philips, or any of their official service agents, and show them these pictures. Then, if they quote for ’fixing’ this and confirm it‘s not ‘screen burn’ get back to John Lewis with their quote and ask them to pay for fixing it. Screen burn is not a whole screen with a shadows all across it, this looks like an OLED panel failure, or perhaps graphics engine, that should be covered by your extended warrantee.

Last edited:
Hi fellow owners, I've just noticed BBC iplayer (built in app) is showing UHD again on the 55POS9002
Yes, yes, I can now see stunning UHD HDR on my Nov 2017 9002, not seen for around two years!
… watching Attenborough’s Life in Colour :)
Update:
Also noticed that some of the You Tube App 4K UHD HDR Demos are now also bringing up the [HDR] pop up, pictures certainly look better.

Last edited:
Hi all thought I would let you know, having owned my philips for 2 and a half years the screen burn has got to the point where the TV is completely unwatchable.

It can't display a yellow test screen, this is 75% green from centre out and multiple logos are present. With all the glitches on top of this I've switched to the LG CX arriving monday ..

Thought about the 805 but worried that the ambilight heat may be putting further strain on an already very warm panel.

@Tibox @jazzthedog @Ermaniac77 @Skullyjoe31

Just thought I would let you guys know I have the same issue, giant blob of green hue spreading from the middle of the screen outwards. I tried contacting John Lewis and had the same problem dealing with them, they sent out an contractor 'engineer' who clearly makes a lot of money out of John Lewis for 2 mins work looking at your screen and calling anything remotely odd "screen burn", so that the short story is John Lewis refused to honour the warranty.

Then I read up on and noticed the information here and in the thread linked to about the LG panels with the same problem.

I'm probably going to contact Philips as suggested above to see what they have to say and then go the escalated complaint route with John Lewis providing all of this evidence.

I certainly won't be buying another TV through John Lewis after the way they have treated me and being entirely dismissive; even stating I could pay out of my own pocket to get a second opinion from another engineer, then they might consider looking at it again!

The TV has other issues too, such as my nVidia Shield Pro will not display HDR through Prime/Netfix/Disney correctly, it comes up washed out and extremelely dark. I've tried all combinations of settings on the TV and Shield to fix it and its always the same, I even changed the HDMI cable for a brand new certified 2.1 cable last week, still no change.

I was very keen on upgrading to a larger, newer model with 4 sided ambilight before all this happened, now I'm really not as sure. But the whole family love the picture quality and ambilight so it would be very hard to move away from it :(

So, finally a resolution from Philips regarding the lack of HLG over HDMI to watch HDR on Sky programmes. They have replaced my 9002 with a OLED805 free of charge. Great service by Philips to be fair in the end. Currys did not want to help at all.

They did confirm that this TV will not output HLG over HDMI. If you have Sky Q and wondering why its not working with this TV, that's the reason.
Glad you got a good resolution on this.
For others who's warranty has now expired, probably most by now, please do log this issue with Phillips referencing case 02374874. Its a know issue but the best we can hope for is a software update at some point in the future. The more people that raise the issue the better chance we have of getting a solution.
To clarify you cannot watch any Sky content (incl apps Netflix, Disney+ etc) in HDR, only UHD on this TV as the Sky box doesn't recognize the TV as being HDR compatible. This is because Sky use HLG to deliver their HDR content. Although the TV will recognize HLG using the built in apps, it will not accept HLG via HDMI.
A big let down, when this TV was clearly sold as being HLG compatible with no exceptions being mentioned.
Phillips are not interested if the TV is Out of Warranty despite this being an 'out of the box' issue rather than a fault that's developed over time.

Have anyone tried to install Apple TV+ in your 9002?

It's available for Android 8.0 and above, but I Cant find it on my google play store.

I just noticed I got the green blob issue on my 55POS9002 as well. This seems to be a pretty widespread issue, also among LG users. Does anyone know if there are already extra (legal) steps being taken? This seems like a pretty big design flaw..

OMG, I was just about to post the same thing. I noticed the blob yesterday afternoon. Mine is noticeable on red and yellow images. See images. I was going to contact John Lewis as I'm just over 3 years into my 5 year warranty, but after reading the experience of other who have had this and that have had an engineer sent my JL and to be told that is is "screen burn in" which it clearly isn't, I don't know if I'll bother.

Attachments

• PXL_20211226_112512034.MP.jpg
    PXL_20211226_112512034.MP.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 76
  • PXL_20211226_112531353.MP.jpg
    PXL_20211226_112531353.MP.jpg
    231.5 KB · Views: 81
@Tibox @jazzthedog @Ermaniac77 @Skullyjoe31

Just thought I would let you guys know I have the same issue, giant blob of green hue spreading from the middle of the screen outwards. I tried contacting John Lewis and had the same problem dealing with them, they sent out an contractor 'engineer' who clearly makes a lot of money out of John Lewis for 2 mins work looking at your screen and calling anything remotely odd "screen burn", so that the short story is John Lewis refused to honour the warranty.

Then I read up on and noticed the information here and in the thread linked to about the LG panels with the same problem.

I'm probably going to contact Philips as suggested above to see what they have to say and then go the escalated complaint route with John Lewis providing all of this evidence.

I certainly won't be buying another TV through John Lewis after the way they have treated me and being entirely dismissive; even stating I could pay out of my own pocket to get a second opinion from another engineer, then they might consider looking at it again!

The TV has other issues too, such as my nVidia Shield Pro will not display HDR through Prime/Netfix/Disney correctly, it comes up washed out and extremelely dark. I've tried all combinations of settings on the TV and Shield to fix it and its always the same, I even changed the HDMI cable for a brand new certified 2.1 cable last week, still no change.

I was very keen on upgrading to a larger, newer model with 4 sided ambilight before all this happened, now I'm really not as sure. But the whole family love the picture quality and ambilight so it would be very hard to move away from it :(
Did you have any joy with John Lewis or Philips?

Did you have any joy with John Lewis or Philips?

I’m sorry to say I have had neither the time nor willpower lately to chase this further as I already bought an upgrade in the OLED+936 and I’m now hoping the tv develops some other fault so I can have it replaced under warranty.

Given how more people are having the same problem I might try and pick it up again in the new year.

I just purchased the 43PUS8556 for the bedroom and I reckon it has the same software as the PUS9002 so I'll appreciate if I could get help with the below:

1. When I press the volume up button and keep it pressed, the volume only goes up +1 rather than continuous, is there a fix?

2. I have an app that makes use of the "TV GUIDE" button and what is happening is that I first get the guide of the app but immediately after the screen to install TV channels. Now since I don't have DVB/T or satellite plugged in, can I disable the native TV GUIDE of the TV?

3. I downloaded Button Mapper and successfully remapped the three white buttons to different apps. The issue is that sometimes the native app (ex: Netflix) still runs, is there maybe a configuration I missed?. The app I used is:

Cheers.

Hello. I recently started recording from the TV onto a hard drive via built in Freesat. This was working very well until the other day I tried to watch a recorded film but it said that the recording was unwatchable and I should delete it. Another film, that I had previously watched, was also now unwatchable. I tried recording something else and it worked fine so it doesn't appear to be a problem with the disk. Is there any sort of scandisk or repair that anyone knows of to recover corrupted recordings? I know that it uses its own file system so I can't do anything with it on a computer

Folks, my 55POS9002/5 keeps entering screen saver mode, every 10 minutes or so, even when the image is not static. Has anyone else had/having this issue? I have the latest OTA software loaded.

Thanks.
I know that your post was years ago, but my mother-in-law is having the same issue with watching built-in apps and the screensaver kicks in all the time. Did you find any solution?

Sadly mine has now developed a number of dead pixels, especially noticable on orange hues. :(

Hello,

I have a 9002 that have the second quarter of the screen (vertical division) which displays a mess of horizontal lines (not a few).

Does any one of you encoutered this problem and know which piece need to be replaced ?

Thank You.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom