Philips 55POS9002 TV Owners and Discussion Thread

Blimey - I'm guessing these forums are pretty much redundant in terms of simple aid, huh? Nevertheless...

Hi there, hope someone can help me with something. When playing HDR content on my POS9002 it does not display the 'HDR signal detected' bubble, and yet the HDR options (Film etc) are available in the menu, indicating that it is indeed displaying HDR content. Is this normal? If I connect a USB drive directly to the TV via USB slot and play Dark Crystal (HDR) the bubble comes up, yet when I do the same thing with my Sony X800M2 via HDMI 1/2 it does not display the bubble, yet as I said I have the HDR image options. Does this happen on all 9002s? Thanks in advance.
Sorry @LordPlops, hopefully, others may be able to help more...
... all I can say is that when I use the Netflix App built into the TV I do get the [HDR] logo pop up when watching content like The Crown. Also, with my Oppo Blu-ray connected to HDMI 2 this brings up [HDR], as do various devices using HDMI 1 connected via a pass through AV Amp i.e. Apple 4K TV, Amazon Prime 4K TV.

As far as I can remember the only setting for HDR to work was for HDMI 1 & 2 - this is under Settings > All settings > General settings > HDMI Ultra HD > HDMI 1&2 > Standard, Optimal, off. To change the settings, switch to the HDMI source first. Select Optimal to enable the highest quality HDMI signal for 4K Ultra HD and HDR content (4K604:4:4, 4K60 10-bit HDR).
... Apologies if already done, this is from the TV Manual - page 54 in the latest version from the website.

Last edited:
Thanks. I'm looking at a few different HDR films and none of them show the HDR signal detected bubble, but all of them are clearly HDR and the settings give you the HDR image options, the screen dims slightly etc etc so I'm guessing it's just a weird quirk of my model that I get everything BUT the little bubble. Strange.

No thunder taken in the above @enjdee :)

Going back to early colour CRTs I used to rent them and change every couple of years!
Not until the mid/late 1980s did they get extremely reliable with no major advances so I too bought and kept them for many years. I‘m afraid with LCD and now OLED the advances are so great, but somewhat bleeding edge, I‘ve felt it necessary to upgrade every few years again. I’ve not really got money to burn but I can see myself upgrading after the 3 years with a 9002. I love the great pictures and ambilight, so stuck with Philips. The 9002 has been a love hate relationship, I love Philips, they seem to hate me/us :-(

I‘m sure Philips, well TP Vision now, want to make us customers happy but it’s unfortunate they seem to walk away from issues and focus on new models. The fact that they don’t even comment publicly and don’t always answer requests for support is sad. I guess they are struggling to keep up and no longer have the time to engage with customers. I’ve had more help from forum members, which at times has kept me sane. The major Android Oreo update seemed to demonstrate Philips aren’t fully in control as they used to be. Before this the reliability and crazy oddities were very difficult to live with, with the /05 U.K. model being left behind for 18 months. The Oreo update seemed to fix these issues and make us all /12 models but also seemed to prevent Philips from wanting to make further changes unless absolutely necessary. This seems to have affected other manufacturers that went to Android, with at least one going back to proprietary software where viable. I fear TVs are in a state of flux again...

Perhaps Philips should just make a TV panel, with Ambilight, and leave it up to plug in boxes and Soundbars? They would need more HDMI sockets, all with the latest features like eARC and HMDI 2.1. If others agree, tell them...
I heard back from BBC iPlayer yesterday, and basically it seems to be, as expected, down to Philips to fix (which i have every confidence they will, of course!):

"This issue has been raised with the iPlayer Product team and they have been contacted Phillips about this issue since the update caused the problem (the update did not include the UHD feature). We have not yet heard back from Phillips but we hope the issue will be resolved once we have more information from them.

There is no time frame for when this issue will be resolved but the best way to find out is to keep checking the supported device list on the UHD trail page"

I totally agree with you on the level of support from Philips - the 9002 was a flagship model sold at a premium price, which in the UK Philips essentially ignored for well over a year during which it was basically not fit for purpose. Having shoehorned in the Oreo update eventually last year, support has been desultory at best, and as you say, they are only interested in selling new models. Its not that I want lots of new features (HDR10+ and DV would be nice, but I don't need them as such), but I DO expect to continue having the features the tv had when I bought it (even though I couldn't actually use them at the time, do to the lack of fitness for purpose!).

Your suggestion of a dumb panel is not a bad one. For over a year after I bought my 9002, for me it was little more than a basic 1-input HD panel - I couldn't use the onboard 4K apps due to impossible lipsynch issues, and because I couldn't change inputs using my Harmony remote I was forced to switch all external devices via my Arcam processor, which doesn't support 4K HDR. Coupled with random pop ups and crashes made it at best frustrating, at worst a very expensive paperweight. At least since Oreo we've had a year of amazing pictures, and mostly reliable viewing - but I still feel basically cheated, because this is how it should have been at launch, and who knows, we may even have seen further development in the interim, to make it even better!

Has anyone lately been having issues with ambilight+Hue?

I already reset both TV and Hue-Bridge to factory settings, both are connected to same switch by Ethernet. Contacted Philips customer support and was sent to three different numbers, for them to tell me to see if I can find anything on their website.. (what are they even being payed for)

The main point of getting a Philips TV for me was ambilight+Hue and now it doesn't even work xD

Anyways it seems to me as if they don't care about their products Software wise, probably the TV won't even get any new Updates. I guess I will stay away from Philips in the future.

I've bought the LG SL10YG with dolby atmos support, but I only get 'dolby audio' instead of 'dolby atmos' with Netflix Dolby Atmos supported titles.

It seems the 55POS9002 TV is the problem although this model is only 2-3 years old.

My question: What can I do to recieve Dolby Atmos?

- Buy a Chromecast Ultra (but probably this doesn't work)
- Install Kodi?
- Buy a Xbox One (with Atmos support and connect it directly to the SB)
- Buy another TV?

Last edited:
I've bought the LG SL10YG with dolby atmos support, but I only get 'dolby audio' instead of 'dolby atmos' with Netflix Dolby Atmos supported titles.

It seems the 55POS9002 TV is the problem although this model is only 2-3 years old.

My question: What can I do to recieve Dolby Atmos?

- Buy a Chromecast Ultra (but probably this doesn't work)
- Install Kodi?
- Buy a Xbox One (with Atmos support and connect it directly to the SB)
- Buy another TV?

In theory the 9002 has ARC that can allow Dolby Plus+ 5.1 with Atmos back from a connected HDMI to your Soundbar. If your using the TV Dolby Optical out I believe this is restricted to standard Dolby 5.1. In practice using the TVs HMDI ARC seems to be problematic and be a combination of the TV and the built in Netflix App - others may be able to help with your specific setup.

For both better 4K & HDR pictures and sound like Atmos I ended up using external boxes, for Netflix and Atmos I use an Apple 4K TV that provides stunning pictures and sound. As I use an AV Amp that can take HMDI 4K pictures and Atmos sound and route the pictures to the TV this may not be an option for you unless the Soundbar can pass the pictures to the TV via HDMI?

For me, this TV has great pictures but I now treat it as a high end OLED panel/monitor with Ambilight and no longer use any of its built in Apps since the last upgrade ;-(

Hi,

Ive been trying to upgrade my tv to the latest software version thats on the Philips website but its really not working - I've followed the Installation instructions but nothing seems to happen. (Install via USB)

Im from the UK so the model is 9002/05

Ive tried to have a read through this forum and it looks as though people do have the update installed, so sorry if someones said how to do this and ive missed it.

My current verison is: TPM172E_R.001.002.102.078
The download from philips website is: TPM172E_R.107.000.222.001

Any ideas how i can get this update working?

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

Ive been trying to upgrade my tv to the latest software version thats on the Philips website but its really not working - I've followed the Installation instructions but nothing seems to happen. (Install via USB)

Im from the UK so the model is 9002/05

Ive tried to have a read through this forum and it looks as though people do have the update installed, so sorry if someones said how to do this and ive missed it.

My current verison is: TPM172E_R.001.002.102.078
The download from philips website is: TPM172E_R.107.000.222.001

Any ideas how i can get this update working?

Thanks in advance.

Even 107.000.222.001 is rather old, released around February last year...
... I presume your TV is connected to the net and you‘ve tried the update over the Internet?
Assuming you have I suggest you log a support item with Philips. The failure to update might mean you missed the major updates that changed your /05 to a /12 model? Either way Philips should be able to help, even if they have to send you special code to do this.

TP Vision, who own Philips TV, seem to have changed UK support but the Philips.co.uk website and TV Support page is still the best place, where you can phone, chat or use the Support link: https://tpv.secure.force.com/Web2Case/WebformPhilips?lang=en_GB

Even 107.000.222.001 is rather old, released around February last year...
... I presume your TV is connected to the net and you‘ve tried the update over the Internet?
Assuming you have I suggest you log a support item with Philips. The failure to update might mean you missed the major updates that changed your /05 to a /12 model? Either way Philips should be able to help, even if they have to send you special code to do this.

TP Vision, who own Philips TV, seem to have changed UK support but the Philips.co.uk website and TV Support page is still the best place, where you can phone, chat or use the Support link: https://tpv.secure.force.com/Web2Case/WebformPhilips?lang=en_GB

Hello, yeah the TV is connected to the internet ive tried searching over the internet with no luck.

I logged a ticket same time i posted my last post and they replied with screenshots how to search for an update 🙄 Ill follow them up again.

Thanks for replying.

Hello, yeah the TV is connected to the internet ive tried searching over the internet with no luck.

I logged a ticket same time i posted my last post and they replied with screenshots how to search for an update 🙄 Ill follow them up again.

Thanks for replying.
The simplest solution is to download the latest firmware from here and install it via USB
You'll go straight to TPM171E_107.1.101.2

The simplest solution is to download the latest firmware from here and install it via USB
You'll go straight to TPM171E_107.1.101.2

The USB method doesnt work - When i click local update it just says "error no software found".

Philips sent me and email with a new download its a .pkg rather than .upg - ive followed instructions, turn off tv by cable, plug in usb, power it back on but still nothing happens :(

The USB method doesnt work - When i click local update it just says "error no software found".

Philips sent me and email with a new download its a .pkg rather than .upg - ive followed instructions, turn off tv by cable, plug in usb, power it back on but still nothing happens :(
Have you tried both USB slots?

Just got a message on my TV a new update will be installed when the TV goes into standby.
Anyone have any info on this? The Philips site does not (yet) show a new firmware.

On Philips website: 107.001.038.000 (June 27th, 2019)
Now installed on my TV after installing the new firmware: 107.001.101.002

Which is firmware from December 2nd, weird.

TPM171E _ 107.001.101.002 – Date: 2019/12/02
- Android Oreo 8.0.0 based software
- Fix for DTS TruVolume output level drops after standby
- Fix for audio settings lost after standby
- Fix for different volume for stereo and dolby audio channel
- Fix for HBBTV is not working after teletext launch
- Improvements for WiFi connection issue
- Fix for wrong picture in EPG
- Improvement EPG speed for DVB-C
- Fix for starting up to recovery mode after restricted profile is activated
- Improvements for web-browser built-in video player stability
- Fix for No Sound after standby
- Improvements for RC upgrade issue and pairing not working

Hi,

just published a blog post how to prevent automatic firmware updates (via OTA Push/Pull)...

Since I'm not allowed to post links, have my own username or avatar, you need to go by yourself to my blog.

Toengel@Alex

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom