Philips 55POS9002 TV Owners and Discussion Thread

I am a little bit confused, since I recently bought the Sonos Arc/Sub/2x One in order to have a 5.1.2 setup.

The user manual of the POS9002 somewhere mentions the support of DD+/Atmos if a suitable source is connected. The TV itself is correctly installe
Both the pre-installed Netflix app, as well as the Xbox One S is not able to come up with Atmos content (the XBOX is not even able to be in the dolby atmos home cinema setting)
The TIDAL appie able to play atmos content through the TV/Sonos setup.
Do you have the similar issue? Anybody knows how to solve this?

Just FYI : I ve tried the new Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2019 and I'm getting Dolby Atmos with Netflix and Prime Video on my LG Soundbar

If I use the Philips Android TV version I don't get that even if the setup is on Multichannel (pass-through)

Just FYI : I ve tried the new Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2019 and I'm getting Dolby Atmos with Netflix and Prime Video on my LG Soundbar

If I use the Philips Android TV version I don't get that even if the setup is on Multichannel (pass-through)
Do you also get dolby vision as well using both apps.Looks like prime video has dropped support for dolby vision and dolby atmos on there own devices.So I will be considering the latest shield tv.

I think there are three options in the sound settings, one is passthrough and there is one to reprocess it or something into DD+, I think that is the one that will give you the 'altered' atmos as mentioned above.

Of course if as said that Atmos is not present on the app anyway, than no setting is going to change that.

If you have it working through the shield and it isn't too much of a hassle I'd bank that as a win.

I think there are three options in the sound settings, one is passthrough and there is one to reprocess it or something into DD+, I think that is the one that will give you the 'altered' atmos as mentioned above.

Of course if as said that Atmos is not present on the app anyway, than no setting is going to change that.

If you have it working through the shield and it isn't too much of a hassle I'd bank that as a win.
Glad for someone to prove different but dolby atmos is not available from the netflix or amazon prime internal apps.Works on shield as it is an approved device.Used to work on amazon 4k firestick and amazon cube v2 up to a couple of weeks ago but now does not.Probably an issue with amazon and dolby with regards to licence fees.Dont know if Amazon have dropped support for dolby atmos/vision altogether,or if it will return once agreement is reached about fees.Not even sure if that is the issue as information is lacking.I contacted Amazon customer service and they apologized for it being taken down and it will be back in 48hrs.That was a few days ago and still not resolved!

My 9002 developed a fault after a year and two weeks (a thin black line across all sources about 12 inches up the screen) and because I'd bought from AO via ebay, I was a bit worried but turns out needlessly.
Turns out the warranty is two years, which I hadn't realised, I logged it on the service site, they asked for some diagnostics and new firmware, none of which resolved so they said they'd replace the panel.
About a week later I was informed they had none available currently and would replace the TV rather than the panel - fine with me.
A couple of days later - they don't have any TVs either so would a 934 replacement be ok... oh go on then :)

All delivered and set up, no drama, no fuss, took a little while but the original TV was still functioning so I'm more than happy with how the issue was resolved. Firms get slated things when things go wrong but I always think it's how they deal with it rather than the fact it happened so only fair to call that out too.

In this case, credit to Philips and based on the experience, they'll probably be at the top of the list when it comes to looking at the next one.

My 9002 developed a fault after a year and two weeks (a thin black line across all sources about 12 inches up the screen) and because I'd bought from AO via ebay, I was a bit worried but turns out needlessly.
Turns out the warranty is two years, which I hadn't realised, I logged it on the service site, they asked for some diagnostics and new firmware, none of which resolved so they said they'd replace the panel.
About a week later I was informed they had none available currently and would replace the TV rather than the panel - fine with me.
A couple of days later - they don't have any TVs either so would a 934 replacement be ok... oh go on then :)

All delivered and set up, no drama, no fuss, took a little while but the original TV was still functioning so I'm more than happy with how the issue was resolved. Firms get slated things when things go wrong but I always think it's how they deal with it rather than the fact it happened so only fair to call that out too.

In this case, credit to Philips and based on the experience, they'll probably be at the top of the list when it comes to looking at the next one.
Hi was the company they used called equinox? I’m just going through the same thing (different fault) I was due to have a repair and today was told Philips said they would rather replace the tv? I’m just curious if this is the same thing you went through? (Really hoping for a 934 also)

Hi, I managed to reset the TV back to factory settings and then all latest updates were able to happen. I think a previous update may of had a glitch for updating. My current version today is TPM171E_R.107.001.132.000
I'd like to backup SkullyJoe31's experience. I have never been able to update the software (via either internet or USB) on my TV since owning it from new 2 years ago. Recently I was losing my apps one by one as they weren't able to 'reach the internet' leaving only Netflix as the sole functioning app. Last weekend I noticed that the internal clock set itself back to 05 Jan 2000. I could not reset the time either automatically or manually. (Manually I could set the day/month/year toggles but the TV would not save the settings)
In desperation I performed the factory reset and a full re-install. Suddenly it all started working again, I went through the setup wizard as new and noted that time was set via the internet. The software version was R.107.000.222.001 and I noticed the change by viewing the new menu layout. I also could now insert a USB with version TPM171E_R.107.001.132.000 and have the TV auto detect and install it.
I am finally in control and happy that the TV is functioning as it should.
Factory reset was my solution.

My TV been doing this for a month and just realised I am one week over two years with ao. None of my apps match this pattern so I doubt it is burn in. Any comments?

Attachments

• 20201003_143133.jpg
    20201003_143133.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 157
Hello there!

I have also enabled Developer options to reduce animations to 0.5x and restrict the amount of background process

Are there any more tips to speed up the system or to delete pre-installed apps in a safe way using ADB Mode?

Cheers

How do you do that?

EDIT: Found it.

Last edited:
Hey guys, hope this is the right place to post a question like this.

Im having a bit of an issue with TV dimming during shows / gaming on an xbox one s.

After about a minute of playing (on the xbox) the screen seems to get darker. It's almost as if the tv can't tell theres anything being played and it dims the screen. As soon as a new bit of action loads, or theres a drastic change in picture, the screen brightens again. Ive had a look online and through all the settings, turned all the dynamic contrast settings off, eco mode off etc but not had any luck. Might it have something to do with the input? Or the HDMI port its in? im totally lost.

On top of this, im finding some Netflix UDH4k shows very dark in places, some scenes almost not watchable... Im sure there are set up guides and ill take another look online but if anyone could help with either of these that would be very much appreciated!

thanks

Jack

Does anyone connect their amp through optical to the TV ?
My amp isn’t 4k pass through and thus doesn’t work with sky q and the ps4 hdmi connections

Has any one had SKQ HDR working with this display?

I'm also having issues having just upgraded to a new Sky Q box with HDR functionality. HLG is required by the TV which I have been informed this model has. I have literally tried everything recommended by Sky, and Philips just sent me a generic response about HDR without really answering the question. I bought the TV expecting it to be reasonably future proof knowing that HLG was likely going to be used by the broadcasters. I just can't get my head round why it's not working - very frustrating.:)

Does anyone have any idea what the issue could be before I start having another rant at Philips?

I'm also having issues having just upgraded to a new Sky Q box with HDR functionality. HLG is required by the TV which I have been informed this model has. I have literally tried everything recommended by Sky, and Philips just sent me a generic response about HDR without really answering the question. I bought the TV expecting it to be reasonably future proof knowing that HLG was likely going to be used by the broadcasters. I just can't get my head round why it's not working - very frustrating.:)

Does anyone have any idea what the issue could be before I start having another rant at Philips?
I don't think it is limited to just Sky Q, the Amazon Fire Stick 4k also supports HLG, it is also listed as a compatible device for BBC iplayer's UHD HDR content, unlike the TV. However when playing UHD HDR from iplayer there is no HDR.

Does anyone connect their amp through optical to the TV ?
My amp isn’t 4k pass through and thus doesn’t work with sky q and the ps4 hdmi connections
Sorry about the slow reply! Yes, I have to use optical from my tv to my Arcam AV950 - I tried using ARC over HDMI, but it was really flaky, upset my Harmony Elite remote, and the Arcam doesn't accept DD+ and other HD audio over ARC anyway - so no choice but to use Optical!

Actually, given that ARC seems to cause problems for loads of people (if the forums are anything to go by), i wish tv manufacturers would give users the option of configuring an HDMI as a straight output feed to an amp, allowing all audio formats to be carried - just my little whinge!

Hello fellow Philippers,

This is my first message on this post having followed it for a good 2 years and it actually was a key reason behind me purchasing my TV so thank you all. I was hoping someone may be able to shed some light on an issue I have recently noticed with my set. I think it is a software issue with the latest firmware and I recall before updating to the latest update in June/July this issue was not prevalent. I have the 55POS9002/05 with firmware version: TPM171E_R.107.001.132.000, creation date Thu Jun 4 2020. My TV is connected directly to the router using an ethernet cable.

The problem I have is that I can no longer watch 4K and/or HDR content on the following Android TV apps:

Disney+: only shows HD
Netflix: shows HDR and Ultra4K on the respective show but when I play the bitrate is limited to 5.33mb and at 1080 resolution.
Prime: HDR doesn't turn on in any show and I no longer know whether the content is playing in HD or Ultra HD (latest version of the app no longer displays this information)
YouTube: Content with 4K tag only plays at 720p max, only content with 4K60fps in title plays at 4K.

I recall being able to watch in 4K and HDR on Prime, Netflix, Disney+ before the update but this is no longer possible. Is anybody else seeing this issue? I have another Philips LED TV in the bedroom with the same apps, connected via WiFi and everything works fine so the problem is definitely with this TV/software. Any help/advice would be highly appreciated.

Hello fellow Philippers,

This is my first message on this post having followed it for a good 2 years and it actually was a key reason behind me purchasing my TV so thank you all. I was hoping someone may be able to shed some light on an issue I have recently noticed with my set. I think it is a software issue with the latest firmware and I recall before updating to the latest update in June/July this issue was not prevalent. I have the 55POS9002/05 with firmware version: TPM171E_R.107.001.132.000, creation date Thu Jun 4 2020. My TV is connected directly to the router using an ethernet cable.

The problem I have is that I can no longer watch 4K and/or HDR content on the following Android TV apps:

Netflix: shows HDR and Ultra4K on the respective show but when I play the bitrate is limited to 5.33mb and at 1080 resolution.
Prime: HDR doesn't turn on in any show and I no longer know whether the content is playing in HD or Ultra HD (latest version of the app no longer displays this information)
YouTube: Content with 4K tag only plays at 720p max, only content with 4K60fps in title plays at 4K.

I recall being able to watch in 4K and HDR on Prime, Netflix, Disney+ before the update but this is no longer possible. Is anybody else seeing this issue? I have another Philips LED TV in the bedroom with the same apps, connected via WiFi and everything works fine so the problem is definitely with this TV/software. Any help/advice would be highly appreciated.
I have the exact same problem. I don't know what resolution it's producing but the Google Play Movies apps is showing HDR content and the TV indicates such. Netflix show HDR but only upto 1080 and none of the movies or shows on Disney+ are showing that they are available in 4K and no HDR either.

Hello fellow Philippers,

So I reset my TV back to factory, and the Prime app now show Ultra HD. Netflix still won't go above 1080 but is HDR. This is where is gets interesting, Prime and Netflix have updates waiting in the Google Play store, so I turned off auto update. I installed the Disney+ app from the Google Play store and there is no 4K Ultra HD HDR10 showing in the show/movie details. I uninstalled the Google Play version and installed the version from Philips TV collection, now Disney+ shows 4K Ultra HD HDR and plays HDR.

I hope this helps...

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom