Philips 55PUS6703 - Motion problem

Krullhero

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey folks!

Purchased this tv 2 weeks back. Was given some money back from JL after my Sony died so went to RS and got the 55" for £549.

In genereal I'm very impressed with it. Lovely images and ambilight is great. However, I've noticed an issue with motion interpolation and it's only an issue when watching Amazon Prime via the app on the tv.

No matter what setting I have the motion on (movie or off) there's clearly some motion interpolation going on as the picture is juddery and still exhibits the dreaded soap opera effect. It's so frustrating as the rest of the picture is great.

Other sources such as my blu ray player, Netflix and Virgin are fine.

Anyone else experienced this before with Philips tvs? Any help or advice would be great.

Krullhero

I actually bought this model recently also.

I too am generally happy with the quality for the price.

However i have notices a few glitches and issues also.

Sometime the audio is really low even when the volume is mid way. I switch the tv off from the mains and turn on again..problem solved.

Sometimes i press the netflix button on the remote and it just freezes on a blank screen..again switch it off from the mains and it seems to solve the problem (as you can tell my go to fix for anything and everything).

It is kind of annoying yes but i think i can live with it for that price.

Yeah I can live with the motion processing on Amazon Prime. There's definitely some processing going on in the background which is annoying (maybe Philips will fix with firmware update?!) but it's not too distracting. I've heard that Game Mode gets rid of any motion processing on Philips tvs but it's not an option when using Amazon Prime App :facepalm:

One major problem I've had is with the sound also. I use Virgin Media and if I go from BBC1 SD to BBC1 HD, there is a horrible blip/pop sound when switching channels and he HD channels are so much louder than SD. Like, ridiculously louder.

So I had my original Philips TV exchanged for a new one today and the problem is still there.

:(

I've just bought the 50inch version of this to replace my hisense 4k as that was struggling big time with blacks and dark areas with a lot of ghosting and blurr. Initially went on reviews for the price area so plumped for the Philips. Kinda struggling to set everything up with a nice picture! Got a PS4 pro running on it and sky q. Lots of motion lag with the sky and cannot get a good looking hdr image on the PS4 to save my life!

Picture just looks drained and if I throw on the colour everything looks fake? Any tips on settings lads?

But yeah main point I'm having the same issue but sounds like HDMI connection problems from what ive read. Something to do with the quality of the hdmi cables. Hopefully just needs a update down the line to fix. Otherwise I'm feeling like I've bought the wrong TV right now. Fingers crossed my impression improves!

I've not had a chance to play about with the HDR setting actually but my normal settings for watching SD and HD are something like this:

Picture: Standard
Contrast (this is actually black level!) - 65 (you could have this lower for night time viewing for better blacks
Brightness: 50
Colour Temp: Neutral
Colour: 60
Sharpness: 2-3
Advanced settings
Contrast style:Best suited to picture
Gamma: default
Super resolution: Off
Turn of all Colour and Contrast Enhancements
Turn of all Noise reduction settings
Motion: Off or Movie (off for Games!)

I got most of these setting from this AVForums video, slightly older model but a good way to start:

I'm really liking the picture now actually, especially for the price. My only two gripes are the difference in sound volume between SD and HD and the motion settings on Amazon Prime video which I cant seem to fxix.

Do you have that issue when changing channels on Sky Q?

Have a soundbar arriving in a few days anyway so hopefully that will help.

The motion blurr and or lag on sky Q happens while watching. I was watching the football last night and it just kept on doing it during fast movement. Might swap the HDMIs around as I don't need uhd for sky q right now.

I sat there last night swapping settings around for hours with red dead 2 on but after settling in to a set up and popping FIFA on the screen was awful. It just looks like a lot of colour missing which is very much against what 4k HDR is supposed to be? I really hope it's just because the hisense I had wasn't actual 4k HDR but just upscaled HD and this Philips is true 4k HDR I'm just not used to seeing! Will pop those settings in tonight after work.

Anyone else have hdr settings?

Do you watch Netflix or Amazon video via the apps on the tv? Be interesting to compare how the picture is on them compared to your Sky Q?

Have you tried turning off the motion processing in the picture settings as well?

HDR on RDR2 is essentially fake/broken and you're better off turning it off. Also this set isn't capable of displaying a HDR image anyway. It will accept the signal and try it's best but the panel is unable to perform to the standards necessary for "proper" HDR.

I heard about the rdr2 HDR thing but it really didn't look too bad at all on my hisense in HDR. I assume you can't run 4k without HDR on anyway? Seems to go against the entire reason I bought the TV if I can't use that function. Might be best returning it if I don't have that option. Don't want a knee jerk reaction either though.

I will try Netflix tonight see if there's anything there with that.

I heard about the rdr2 HDR thing but it really didn't look too bad at all on my hisense in HDR. I assume you can't run 4k without HDR on anyway? Seems to go against the entire reason I bought the TV if I can't use that function. Might be best returning it if I don't have that option. Don't want a knee jerk reaction either though.

I will try Netflix tonight see if there's anything there with that.
You can turn HDR off in the game settings and run it in 4K SDR. If you need a TV with proper HDR you'll need a different (more expensive) set.

I will try turning HDR off tonight then. See it that helps. Thank you for your time people. I feel like I have hijacked the op post! Apologies!

Just on sound also, I use a Samsung soundbar and the sound out of the Philips through the soundbar is exceptional. Compared to the hisense. I used to put up the volume every time I turned it on from the default volume. Now I have to turn it down! So yeah highly recommend a soundbar with this tv. As for the SD and HD sound difference I always assumed that was because of the channels themselves not the tv? Basically the sound will always be better on the hd channels and come through at a different level to sd channels.

Quick question while I'm playing with settings, do the enhancement settings really do anything bad? The colours look better with them on but will the cause problems been on? Like the ultra resolution and noise settings? Cheers in advance!

Well final update from me. The Philips has been returned. Argos did a outstanding job handling it too. Picked it up and dropped off a Samsung
50nu7400. A little bit of extra money had to be spent but it's a TV on a different level! Picture quality and handling of 4k is completely above and beyond the Philips. In my opinion anyway. Plus the functionality is a dream.

My decision was made after I couldn't get the Philips to take any form of a smooth signal from my PS4 pro. Turned everything off, swapped HDMIs and swapped slots. It couldn't handle YouTube either. I do hope it was just a bad set I had. But the judder and screen slow down was just unbearable. Good luck with yours fellas and thank you all for your help too!

Glad you have managed to return the tv and got a set you're happy with! I think if my set was a bad as yours I would have done the same. Happy viewing!

Oh and check out Planet Earth 4k on Netflix for some 4k goodness :)

Sorry to also hijack the topic, but how are you getting on with the Global Dimming on your Samsung, @Leonk? It’s the only thing that keeps putting me off buying their TVs again! Used to love the picture, but hate the screen constantly going dark and light.

Haven't encountered it yet @Y2JON! Not noticed any changes like that. The Samsung is still struggling with HDR images but no where near the trouble the Philips had. I've never experienced a TV which literally couldn't the main selling point it was made for. But definitely happier. Proves a point though, you really can't get high end quality at the £500 mark. For the good stuff you need to pay a grand ☹️

Haven't encountered it yet @Y2JON! Not noticed any changes like that. The Samsung is still struggling with HDR images but no where near the trouble the Philips had. I've never experienced a TV which literally couldn't the main selling point it was made for. But definitely happier. Proves a point though, you really can't get high end quality at the £500 mark. For the good stuff you need to pay a grand ☹️
You’re tempting me if you haven’t noticed any global dimming! It’s the only thing that puts me off. I’m a Sony guy, but they are only using IPS at 43” this year, and I’m reluctant to pay those prices for that technology, as much as I love them!

Let's be fair here, a lot of peoples opinions on TVs are just that, their opinions. If this Samsung does have global dimming it's ever so slight. Plus you can turn everything off anyway. The only thing I can see is wrong with this telly is that it's probably going to struggle with hdr motion.

Had a play with the 43" variant this week and couldn't turn of the dimming. Was in game mode and everything was turned off in the settings. I must be missing something somewhere!

I shall have a peek in a bit and see what I can spy
Sorry for being unclear, I'm talking about the Philips not the Samsung. Could clearly see the picture dimming and Brighting during gameplay. Eco was off as well as everything dynamic or enhancement settings.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom