Philips 55PUS6703 - Motion problem

Lag/stutter when in game or HDR game mode is still there. So annoying! You have to switch between picture modes to get rid of it, for me this happens every two days. Wish i bought another TV...

Lag/stutter when in game or HDR game mode is still there. So annoying! You have to switch between picture modes to get rid of it, for me this happens every two days. Wish i bought another TV...

I'm so tempted to see if RS will take this back but I've nearly had it a year. I'd then go for the 754 as they have that for £1099 so will only cost me about £500 on top.

I may need to see what AO will do about entertaining a return. It's now sat there with the front LED constantly blinking for no apparent reason. I've reverted to Monitor mode which means the colours are washed out but at least gameplay is acceptable again. I'm also sick to my back teeth of having to toggle it back to 'orginal' rather than 'Widescreen'.

I'm so tempted to see if RS will take this back but I've nearly had it a year. I'd then go for the 754 as they have that for £1099 so will only cost me about £500 on top.

The most painfull for me is that I only use the Game and HDR Game mode. I dont care about all the apps (of course I respect others that do), I just want a smooth Game setting. Without all the picture options. And that particular Picture Mode has stutter... seriously. Monitor mode cant fix this, because I will lose my HDR and 4K. So now you or hoping for the next update, wich will take around 5 months. And we all know the chance they will fix it.

I will have a call with Philips NL again this week. Did this once, and they sent me an older firmware. Not the solution of course. Now just hope someone with some experience answers and keep calling for a status update. I also will point out this thread.

Really hate this. You know the feeling that you dont want to tell your wife that you bought a 400 euro TV which is not good.....

Guys, Philips asked me to make a video of the stuttering problems. I am going to make a few, but if you guys also have videos of the problems, feel free to send it to me so I can pick the most obvious ones and send this to Philips. Ask for my mail in a PM and I will keep you posted... I know this has been done before, but still...

The Philips guy on this forum has contacted me saying that he has asked Philips UK to be in touch. Fingers crossed!

I made 2 recordings of the problem, the problem isn't that visible on a normal recording, but I also recorded the problem in slowmotion. Now you can see how long it freezes on some frames.

Problem most noticable on normal speed underneath the heli on the Trees.

Original speed

On slowmotion you really see the freezing of some frames. 240fps (play it on 2x speed for a bit more realistic view)

Last edited:
Hopefully they are starting to listen. Really would be a great TV if they could get this sorted.

It's hard to pick up on video but Clip 1 with the ticker stutter and clip 2 after the cycle the picture style hack has resolved the issue.

Guys, Philips asked me to make a video of the stuttering problems. I am going to make a few, but if you guys also have videos of the problems, feel free to send it to me so I can pick the most obvious ones and send this to Philips. Ask for my mail in a PM and I will keep you posted... I know this has been done before, but still...
I don't have any video of the issue but I believe I still have the log files that show the issue before and after the scrolling through the picture setting fix. I sent these files back to Philips in April as they asked me to but it's been quiet ever since.

If you're interested, I can find the files and send them to you.

Hi.
i too had the very poor motion problems in Oct 2018.
Brought online , at a very keen price.
i never found a fix that worked , even after following the AV forum guides, and the tv also seemed to be very buggy. even spent money on a posh hdmi cable to no avail.
After 6wks ,Returned and received full refund.
We love ambilight ,having had 13yrs of Philips TVs, but they will loose custom if they dont improve the frustration caused by over complex settings, and instability.

I don't have any video of the issue but I believe I still have the log files that show the issue before and after the scrolling through the picture setting fix. I sent these files back to Philips in April as they asked me to but it's been quiet ever since.

If you're interested, I can find the files and send them to you.
Thanks Vanquishor! Sorry for my late response, the also have my logfiles... :)... nothing heard yet, will let you guys know if there is something to tell...

I just bought the Philips 50PUS6272/05 and noticed the motion issue. Every few seconds it was like a frame froze then skipped to the next or so. Really annoying to watch. Better in game mode but the colours are awful. I was using the Amazon fire stick.
I searched for updates and it updated itself to TMP179E_012.002.230.001
I turned fire stick settings down to 1080p 50hz (its in the display settings on the fire stick menu) and picture settings to some I found on this forum:

Picture: Standard
Contrast (this is actually black level!) - 65 (you could have this lower for night time viewing for better blacks
Brightness: 50
Colour Temp: Neutral
Colour: 60
Sharpness: 2-3
Advanced settings
Contrast style:Best suited to picture
Gamma: default
Super resolution: Off
Turn of all Colour and Contrast Enhancements
Turn of all Noise reduction settings
Motion: Off or Movie (off for Games!)

I notice that the freezing/slow down issue every few seconds has resolved. Admittedly have not tried anything other than on fire stick since thats all I watch these days. Might be of help to somebody else though.

Last edited:
I just bought the Philips 50PUS6272/05 and noticed the motion issue. Every few seconds it was like a frame froze then skipped to the next or so. Really annoying to watch. Better in game mode but the colours are awful. I was using the Amazon fire stick.
I turned fire stick settings down to 1080p 50hz (its in the display settings on the fire stick menu) and picture settings to some I found on this forum:

Contrast (this is actually black level!) - 65 (you could have this lower for night time viewing for better blacks
Advanced settings

I notice that the freezing/slow down issue every few seconds has resolved. Admittedly have not tried anything other than on fire stick since thats all I watch these days. Might be of help to somebody else though.
Contrast isn't black level mate, it's actually backlight, video contrast is contrast.

Contrast isn't black level mate, it's actually backlight, video contrast is contrast.
Thanks for that. Fortunately I couldn't really care less about the level of blackness.
As specified previously those settings were copied from a previous post on this forum, ie copy pasted and not written by me. It was just the settings that I used that I found helped fix the issue.
In case I wasn't clear, the point of my post was intended to actually help other people who might be experiencing the same issue in case it fixes their problem.

Thanks for that. Fortunately I couldn't really care less about the level of blackness.
As specified previously those settings were copied from a previous post on this forum, ie copy pasted and not written by me. It was just the settings that I used that I found helped fix the issue.
In case I wasn't clear, the point of my post was intended to actually help other people who might be experiencing the same issue in case it fixes their problem.
No I get that, iwas letting you know because if you decided to tweak your settings you'll have a much easier time of it if you know what you're adjusting, it had me tricked early on.
Not sure why you've got an attitude.

Last edited:

Advanced settings

Tried these settings once again and still getting the motion problem (sign of insanity trying the same thing and expecting different results).
Works fine if I cycle picture setting to game but have to do this every time I switch on. Starting to think about getting a programmable remote (Logitech or equivalent) that will do this on startup as an event. Anyone else tried this or thought about it ?

I've done this with my Logitech harmony remote. Took a bit of setting up, but now works perfectly every time.

To my point further up, I've installed the newer firmware, and reverted to Monitor mode.

That at least made RDR2 and the new Call of Duty playable again.

I had Sky Sports News on, on Saturday and noticed the ticker kept stuttering and then going OK for a bit, pretty much after every ad break. Seems as though the TV just can't handle that much going on. I've got the Virgin V6 set to output 4k (not that it makes any difference given the Philips doesn't seem to be recognised as HDR compatible for iPlayer or similar).

Also noticed that I'm only getting 1080p on the inbuilt Prime Video app.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom