Philips 55PUS6754/12 or LG 55UM7510PLA Or ?

Xexets

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi! I am looking to upgrade my TV and would like to get a 4K 55 inch one. Budget about £500.
I selected the two models above. The Philips one seems to review rather better than the LG in terms of picture quality, and has Dolby Vision (more future proof?) but Philips has a much worse reputation than LG for QC, warranty and support.
What would you choose? Or which other model would you suggest?

Main use: watching films (Netflix, Prime, ITunes/Google Play, Blu Ray), light gaming (PS4).
I will not connect the TV tuner at all, I never watch live TV.
No need for any smart feature. I have an Nvidia shield as main hub, might consider an Apple TV in the future.
No need for many connections Nor good audio, I have a Marantz 1506 that deals with multiple connections and audio.

Basically I just need a good 55 inch 4K panel with one HDMI port, possibly with as many HDR formats as possible (for future proofing)!
Thanks!

Hisense tend to offer much better value in this end of the market, especially if you are looking for a TV with a VA type panel.

Out of the two you mention its hard to decide because you won't know which panel type comes on the Philips until you own it..whils the LG uses an IPS panel if that is what you want from a TV.

See:

HDR - well HDR format support is one thing, but the first and cheapest TVs that can display it decently cost a lot more than these two models. The cheapest TV that can display HDR video with the least amount of problems (games still will have issues) is the Panasonic GX800 available at 50 or 58"...but its by no means a "capable" HDR TV.

I'd suggest taking the time to understand HDR and why HDR content is far too demanding to reproduce adequately on cheaper TVs, even ones that have support for all HDR formats.

To get an ample HDR TV, so when you use HDR its delivered as it should be, you need to be looking at TVs at least like the Sony XG9005 or Samsung Q70R from 2019 lines.

If you are open to refurbs, Sony centre direct have a shop offering the XG9005 cheaper than new:

Thank you very much Dogexander fro the very clear reply. Basically, if I understand you correctly you are saying if I stay on this budget I'd better look for TVs without HDR support (or ignore whether they have dolby vision or not) as their support would be bad anyway or stretch the budget to an XG9005 or Samsung Q70R?

Also, since Philips does not produce its own panels there is no way of telling if it's going to be VA or IPS until I actually receive it? (i.e. the same model can have different panels?)
Thanks

Thank you very much Dogexander fro the very clear reply. Basically, if I understand you correctly you are saying if I stay on this budget I'd better look for TVs without HDR support (or ignore whether they have dolby vision or not) as their support would be bad anyway or stretch the budget to an XG9005 or Samsung Q70R?

Also, since Philips does not produce its own panels there is no way of telling if it's going to be VA or IPS until I actually receive it? (i.e. the same model can have different panels?)
Thanks
Its not really down to the fact they don't produce their own panels, Samsung do it too and they produce their own. They just seem to like to disclose that information for some reason.. If you believe that the TV you buy will have the same panel as reviewed here: Philips 55PUS6753/12 4K TV review then it should come with one, but I'm not certain they aren't shipping some models with VA type and some with IPS.

If you buy from a reputable place and you're unhappy, you can return the TV though.

As for HDR, I'm not saying you shouldn't look for HDR support, but I wouldn't place too much importance on it. Format support is nice to have, it can reduce some potential issues using HDR on a TV that lacks hardware to display it well, but it won't be a groundbreaking difference on cheaper TVs compared to higher end ones.

If you were looking at Hisense TVs and choosing between the B7100 with no dolby vision HDR support and the B7500 with dolby vision HDR support the B7500 will display HDR with less issues.

Philips do the higher tier 7 series that has both Dolby Vision and HDR10+ support but it was reviewed at the same size as the 6 series using an IPS type panel, go figure!

Thanks that clarifies a lot. I checked and the 55PUS6754 seem to ship with IPS panels, the 50 inch 50PUS6754 seems to have a VA panel as opposed to the previous 6753 in 55 inch. Go figure.
It's weird yes and choosing the right TV is really hard - especially from reviews only.

Are you checking displayspecifications.com?

Panel info isn't public info, they aren't always correct as they just source their info from reviews (like the one linked above).

So it could be either, if a review cites its VA its more likely to be VA type, but there's a risk of also getting an IPS panel.

50" (not 49) are always VA type since there are no 50" IPS type panels.

Yes that’s the one. Interesting info about IPS not being available in 50 size, one of the many things I did not know!

I think I might prefer a VA panel, I do ‘t have huge viewing angles (a 3 seater about 55-70 inches from the TV (the viewer eyes are about 60-65 inches from tv).

what sort of tv would you recommend At this budget? Hisense b7500? Stretching the budget for the gx800 or the Sony model you mention?

The Hisense models are the sweet spot for value for money. The Panasonic GX800 doesn't justify the price increase on current pricing..its almost twice the cost of the Hisense.

But it may change come Black Friday.

Hi again! So after looking around and reading your guides I am thinking of stretching the budget to a hisense u8b, mainly because it is a VA panel in 55 inch size. I see that you recommend it as a low mid-range TV, which is great. Since I am now stretching the budget do you think there are alternatives at this price point that I might want to consider? Thanks!
PS: I phone around and in my whole county there is not a single retailer that has any of the models in this price range on display unfortunately

Hi again! So after looking around and reading your guides I am thinking of stretching the budget to a hisense u8b, mainly because it is a VA panel in 55 inch size. I see that you recommend it as a low mid-range TV, which is great. Since I am now stretching the budget do you think there are alternatives at this price point that I might want to consider? Thanks!
PS: I phone around and in my whole county there is not a single retailer that has any of the models in this price range on display unfortunately
The only TV that comes close to the Hisense is the Samsung RU8000 but for your uses the Hisense will be better.

Thank you very much all of this is really helpful. I had a look at various models in store (none was in my shortlist but still) and noticed first hand the impressive difference between these and entry level OLED models. Now I’m really tempted to disregard budget and go for an OLED. You suggest LG B9 or Philips 754. There are plenty of reviews of the B9 around, but none of the 754. Which one would you suggest? In terms of features I would lean towards the Philips but LG seems to be a much more reputable brand for TVs. The Philips one seems to have more features but at this point picture quality (and motion) would be my priority. They are at the same price at the moment, with Black Friday price guarantee on Richer Sounds so I could go either way. Thanks

The Philips definitely is the superior TV in terms of motion and picture processing compared to the LG.

There's a comparison of the different OLEDs here: 2019-2020 OLED Comparison

Thanks that’s good to know. Are there any reviews around? I trust your opinion but just wanted a more in depth review since I cannot see either before I get it (of course I can always return it!) thanks!

I haven't seen any reviews but performance will be basically the same as last years OLED803 and similar to this years OLED804, both of which have reviews. There's actually very little separating OLEDs of every brand, and even models from 2017 are just as impressive as ones sold new today.

Thank you very much, that's great. Sorry to keep pestering, should I be concerned with potential burn-ins and at this price point should I rather go for a Samsung Q70R or even Q80R? Is the difference in image quality and motion handling compared to a budget OLED very noticeable?

There's a thread here that covers burn in risk: OLED Burn In Risk

I'm not sure why you would be worried about burn in unless there's something specific about your viewing, such as a tendency to watch news channels a lot.

If you wanted to go for an LCD TV instead, the overall gains in picture quality you'll get will be worse. Those Samsung LCDs aren't much better than cheaper ones with most content, shining mostly compared with HDR.

Thanks! In the meantime I had already read your guide and indeed, along other stuff I read around I understand now that burn in is not really a thing to worry about with my viewing habits.
I pulled the trigger and got the 754, I'll get it this Friday. You've been really helpful, thank you very much!

Thanks! In the meantime I had already read your guide and indeed, along other stuff I read around I understand now that burn in is not really a thing to worry about with my viewing habits.
I pulled the trigger and got the 754, I'll get it this Friday. You've been really helpful, thank you very much!
Great, if you have a moment let us know what you think of the TV when you get it!

Hi! The TV arrived today. It’s absolutely stunning. I can’t say much more though because I come from 1080p old tv... So far so good, well worth the money! Only thing I cannot get My Marantz NR1506 to send it DOlby Vision signal, but that’s for another forum!
Other than this it’s another world. Things just look... as they should!

Hi! The TV arrived today. It’s absolutely stunning. I can’t say much more though because I come from 1080p old tv... So far so good, well worth the money! Only thing I cannot get My Marantz NR1506 to send it DOlby Vision signal, but that’s for another forum!
Other than this it’s another world. Things just look... as they should!

Hi. I'm also looking to get the 6754 Philips model. But would prefer the VA panel. Did you manage to figure out which panel is it?

I got the 754 in the end not the 6754. The 754 is oled

Hi! I had replied to kr368 via PM, but will leave a note here in case others are wondering.
now quite a few months in.
Very happy with the TV overall. Great color, had to tweak HDR response a bit and definitely lower sharpness on everything, but after that it looks great. I notice a slight veering towards green when watching at an angle, but it's very slight.
The panel has developed two dead/stuck pixels, which are completely invisible in normal viewing conditions.
Only gripe is that every now and again and every time there is a power cut it reverts to standard HDMI input and I have to go back to the settings to put it in Optimal, so that the Apple TV and Shield work in Dolby Vision. No biggie.

No burn-in nor image retention ever noticed. Do bear in mind though that I use exclusively the HDMI in. I don't have an areal nor satellite, I don't watch live TV, only streaming via Shield/ATV and occasional gaming on PS4.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom