Answered Philips 55PUS7303/12 Calibration (I'm lost)

Hey. I read all your reviews and also watched alot of YouTube videos and all days isf day and night mode on picture setting. But I don't on my new phillips Philips TPVision 65PUS7805. How do I get these settings on?

Hello everyone, I am owner of a 58PUS7505 model and unfortunately I am having the exact same image quality issues. And it was through Google search that I found this discussion thread very informative.

Thanks to those who shared their settings, this has allowed me to improve the image quality.

For those who are interested, I also used the settings offered on this site:

Settings are not bad but still, it is not yet satisfactory.
The main problem is that the black areas are horrible (just like the captures shared in this thread).

Even on some bright scenes, the problem appears in the hair of the characters on the screen.

I managed to reduce the problem by setting the GAMMA to +4.
Another problem, depending on the shots, there is this washed-out effect on some shots without me being able to explain it.

Since the last exchanges, has any of you found a miracle solution ? :)

Thanks!

Hello
I know this is an old thread, but does anyone have any reasonable hdr settings for this phillips 7303. I know someone has a baseline 😁

U can try mine above
Thank you for the reply. Do you have idea on calibrating HDR I'm a complete noob. Are HDR and SDR the same settings. Or do I need to apply different brightness, contrast and colour settings. I'm in over my head with this TV. I have quite and old HDR TV Phillips 7303 which doesn't have any local dimming and only has a peak brightness apparently of 350 nits.

Hi RudeDog, Only had my 65" for about a week now and your settings have made a great improvement to the picture, but my Reds don't look really deep Red but more of a Pink/Magenta ish colour if you get my drift, would you know how to improve this.
TIA
Would also like to know colour hue and saturation because this is really close to being a perfect picture apart from the reds.

Thank you for the reply. Do you have idea on calibrating HDR I'm a complete noob. Are HDR and SDR the same settings. Or do I need to apply different brightness, contrast and colour settings. I'm in over my head with this TV. I have quite and old HDR TV Phillips 7303 which doesn't have any local dimming and only has a peak brightness apparently of 350 nits.
I think HDR i also recommend the same settings.

For my tv model 8215 maybe different from yours. But the trick here is this

Switch to night isf.
Color 55 to 60
Backlight contrast 75 to 85
Brightness 30
Dynamic contrast minimum
Motion smooth
All Color hue or tint 0
Color control like red blue green yellow magenta ect +3 to everything
Color temperature normal
Color enhancement on or off
HDR upscaling off
Gamma +4
Video contrast 100
artifact and noise reduction to maximum

The above settings works best for both night and day
IMG_20220507_101050.jpg
IMG_20220417_112242.jpg

Hi RudeDog, Only had my 65" for about a week now and your settings have made a great improvement to the picture, but my Reds don't look really deep Red but more of a Pink/Magenta ish colour if you get my drift, would you know how to improve this.

TIA
Try leaving them untouched. Red magenta

Hello everyone, I am owner of a 58PUS7505 model and unfortunately I am having the exact same image quality issues. And it was through Google search that I found this discussion thread very informative.

Thanks to those who shared their settings, this has allowed me to improve the image quality.

For those who are interested, I also used the settings offered on this site:

Settings are not bad but still, it is not yet satisfactory.
The main problem is that the black areas are horrible (just like the captures shared in this thread).

Even on some bright scenes, the problem appears in the hair of the characters on the screen.

I managed to reduce the problem by setting the GAMMA to +4.
Another problem, depending on the shots, there is this washed-out effect on some shots without me being able to explain it.

Since the last exchanges, has any of you found a miracle solution ? :)

Thanks!
Hi,

If you are still looking for settings these are the ones I use from this YouTube video :

Unless I have messed up something, this TV is not having a wide gamut;
While on HDR mode or monitor 8 bit mode I get the sRGB gamut measurements.

I can barely get a white point close to 200 nits, I hardly imagine this TV could push 300 nits with its dynamic contrast or whatever (saying this because 42.5" Philips 43PUS7303/12 - Specifications claims that this unite has a 350 peak brightness) ... so I wouldn't really call this TV HDR.

Unless I have messed up something, this TV is not having a wide gamut;
While on HDR mode or monitor 8 bit mode I get the sRGB gamut measurements.

I can barely get a white point close to 200 nits, I hardly imagine this TV could push 300 nits with its dynamic contrast or whatever (saying this because 42.5" Philips 43PUS7303/12 - Specifications claims that this unite has a 350 peak brightness) ... so I wouldn't really call this TV HDR.
When you say you're getting 200 nits what window % size are you measuring? 1% 5% 10% etc?

And how are you measuring the colour measurements?

When you say you're getting 200 nits what window % size are you measuring? 1% 5% 10% etc?

And how are you measuring the colour measurements?
I am measuring a small white square in the middle of the screen while trying my best to reach max brightness with all the settings.
Been using Displaycal and Colormunki Display colorimeter.

Don't get me wrong sRGB is fine, it pretty much covers all of it... you also get more blue than the "human visible spectrum" as a bonus.
displayspecifications.com says 73% NTSC which is also about what I got. In the future I'll know that this means give or take sRGB.
Rec. 2020 Color Space If it said ~99% NTSC it probably meant one of the wider gamut color spaces available, good thing to know for future shopping or for anyone reading.

You'd have to tone map BT.2020 and other HDR content, something which MVP does by default efficiently or MPC-HC + MadVr (try the newer beta builds). Most likely the internal player does this as well, how good is it at doing that? Haven't tested/compared.

Blog post to end this: In retrospect I think I could've gotten a "dumb TV" with a much wider gamut but hey I was so naive back then.

I think HDR i also recommend the same settings.

For my tv model 8215 maybe different from yours. But the trick here is this

Switch to night isf.
Color 55 to 60
Backlight contrast 75 to 85
Brightness 30
Dynamic contrast minimum
Motion smooth
All Color hue or tint 0
Color temperature normal
Color enhancement on or off
HDR upscaling off
Gamma +4
Video contrast 100

The above settings works best for both night and day View attachment 1694175View attachment 1694176
Does 30 brightness not crush blacks?

Does 30 brightness not crush blacks?
Not really. At 35 I can see enough details. But at brightness 50.it starts to Introduce grey into the picture

I beleive even some.of the the Phillips presets use values.below 50.

Not really. At 35 I can see enough details. But at brightness 50.it starts to Introduce grey into the picture

I beleive even some.of the the Phillips presets use values.below 50.
I have to admit this tv now looks stunning. I have tested the sdr image out on Microsoft flight simulator on a Xbox series X. Yet to try HDR presets but will report back. Thank you for your help.

PS: The only problem with the HDR presets on this model 43pus7303/12 is that I can't alter Gamma. It's greyed out on every preset at 0.

Last edited:
I have to admit this tv now looks stunning. I have tested the sdr image out on Microsoft flight simulator on a Xbox series X. Yet to try HDR presets but will report back. Thank you for your help.

PS: The only problem with the HDR presets on this model 43pus7303/12 is that I can't alter Gamma. It's greyed out on every preset at 0.
Mine is put8215 . 2020 model. I agree for led tv it's actually quite good. I have calibrated to almost oled settings. Of cos it's not oled but close.

I have another set of calibration if u interested : i actually found out that the brightness on my tv model 8215 is causing problems as it introduces grey into the picture. I think some displays like my ipad doesn't have a brightness setting , only backlight adjustment so i try to replicate that So i turned it off to zero and played with other settings. So far the details aren't lost in my new set of values

Switch to night isf.
Color 50
Backlight contrast 70 to 80
Brightness 0
Contrast mode: Optimized for picture
Dynamic contrast
medium
Motion smooth
All Color hue or tint 0
Color temperature normal
Color enhancement off
HDR upscaling on

Gamma -2
Video contrast 88
IMG_20220602_105432.jpg
IMG_20220602_105441.jpg
IMG_20220602_105432.jpg
IMG_20220602_105441.jpg
IMG_20220602_105457.jpg
IMG_20220602_114107.jpg
IMG_20220602_114111.jpg
IMG_20220602_114229.jpg

Last edited:
This tv has a black crush unfortunately there is nothing that can be done about that. But your settings do improve the overall picture and looks very close to an oled.

This tv has a black crush unfortunately there is nothing that can be done about that. But your settings do improve the overall picture and looks very close to an oled.
Yes but except in a dark room. But again it's still led

Yes but except in a dark room. But again it's still led
Do you happen to do any gaming on your tv? Or is it for normal tv/movie viewing? Reason I ask is that I have an Xbox series X which I use for Flight simulator and a few more games. And your setting have hugely improved the picture at an expense of black digital levels dissapearing in game. I currently use your first recomendation of 30 brightness.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom