Answered Philips 55PUS7303/12 Calibration (I'm lost)

Hi everyone,
This is a very interesting thread, I really thought I was the only one obsessing over the PQ of my TV (I have the 43 version). Just like you, I found out that the quality was infinitely better using monitor mode on my (base) PS4. However, when I enable HDR on my PS4 and play a HDR enabled game, the colors look awful, like there is a white filter on the screen... Also, there is no HDR monitor mode so it the picture goes back to being very blurry like in game mode. Is there something I'm doing wrong ? I've tried every single setting but nothing worked.

Also, is there a way to activate monitor mode on Android apps (say, MX Player)?

Thanks in advance for your answers ! :)

I think that the white “filter” you mention is the bright highlights that is set to high what makes the picture overexposed in some scenes. Is your video contrast set to high?
Try the trick in this post to set monitor mode contrast at 80 with quick picture settings. This will give you details back in bright skies in monitor mode.
Unfortunately, you can’t use (greyed out) monitor mode in the Android apps on this television. A solution is to buy a 4K Android media player and use HDMI 1 and you can watch Kodi, Netflix and your own files in monitor mode.

I use digital television as well. The post above is a trick to change the greyed out monitor settings and lock them with fast picture settings you can find in the menu.
Ok, but I can't use the monitor mode when I watch digital television. The mode is greyed out. So for now, I used your settings for Netflix.

Ive got the 43pus7363/12 and the 65pus7363/12(silver bezel) and the latest Netflix settings from THX1234 works really well with both apps, PS4(Blu-ray) and digital tv box. However digital tv ONLY sends inn 720p so on the 65inch There is some pixelation, but at normal distance its not that big of an issue. I run all inputs trough a Yamaha rx-v775 reciever. But does IT get any netter if i connect them directly to the tv?

Thank you all for advised settings.

I have just got the 55PUS7303 which obviously has the IPS panel. I am on the fence about sending it back. The lack of deep blacks is disappointing after my 10yr old LG TV. The colours do look good on monitor mode but I cannot get a natural picture with the antenna or with the built in apps.

Has anyone got recommended settings on the IPS panel? Thanks.

Hi everyone! A couple of weeks ago I bought a TV 65ups7303 and I would like some help to figure out two things. 1 - Observing annexed image 1 can someone confirm me the my tv panel is VA? 2 - I know that LCD tv's have, by default, black image problems (bleeding, clouding, etc.), however would you consider my black screen normal (image 2)? Many thanks in advance for your help.
received_696986260725618.jpeg
IMG_20190729_101425.jpg

Last edited:
Hey @THX1234
I’ve tried your Settings using the Netflix Button on the remote control.
So far it looks pretty good. The only thing that’s irritating me:

Sometimes some movies are a little grizzled and some not.
Another thing:
Same movie different scenes. In some scenes the faces look very good and natural and sometimes the faces are too red or overcolored. As if settings would change during the movies. It also differs from movie too movie. Also some face shadows seem sometimes to reddish

Hi everyone! A couple of weeks ago I bought a TV 65ups7303 and I would like some help to figure out two things. 1 - Observing annexed image 1 can someone confirm me the my tv panel is VA? 2 - I know that LCD tv's have, by default, black image problems (bleeding, clouding, etc.), however would you consider my black screen normal (image 2)? Many thanks in advance for your help. View attachment 1178361 View attachment 1178362
The pixels are hard to see because the picture is too far but if the pattern is green>red>blue then you have a VA type panel.

As for screen uniformity, it looks quite poor but its really hard to know from pictures since they can look very different from in person and have very different camera settings used. The TV settings and ambient light may also be different.

The pixels are hard to see because the picture is too far but if the pattern is green>red>blue then you have a VA type panel.

As for screen uniformity, it looks quite poor but its really hard to know from pictures since they can look very different from in person and have very different camera settings used. The TV settings and ambient light may also be different.
"Dodgexander", thank you for your reply. Regarding the tv pixels, I think this new photo confirm the VA panel type. Correct? Regardind my screen uniformity, I have to agree with you, in the picture taken, the black looks significantly worst than in "real life". When I took the picture I was very surprised... Having said that, is there an easy objective way to check in my tv is ok regarding this point? I still have two weeks to send it back...
received_460829267802071.jpeg

"Dodgexander", thank you for your reply. Regarding the tv pixels, I think this new photo confirm the VA panel type. Correct? Regardind my screen uniformity, I have to agree with you, in the picture taken, the black looks significantly worst than in "real life". When I took the picture I was very surprised... Having said that, is there an easy objective way to check in my tv is ok regarding this point? I still have two weeks to send it back... View attachment 1178761
Yes its definitely VA type. That will mean your uniformity will be a lot better than an IPS panel. IPS by design leaks more light through from behind.

I wouldn't try and judge your TV and try and find what level is acceptable. Only think about you, what you watch and if you watch if its distracting. If you watch sport (like grass sports) with a uniform background you soon notice bad screen uniformity but if you don't really notice it, or notice only some and you don't mind it so much, then do not worry.

Without having samples side by side you aren't going to know where your TV fairs on the uniformity scale.

What I will say is the Philips is a direct lit model which means the lights are situated behind instead of the edge of the TV, what this means is compared to edge lit models you are more likely to see sections of the centre of the TV lit unevenly from the rest, with an edge lit model its the other way round, instead of getting different levels of light in the centre you get lighter patches round the edge. So no matter which way you go, you won't win.

To improve on uniformity with an LCD you'll need to spend a lot more money on a TV that has good local dimming, entry levels with that will cost almost £1500 at 65", maybe more.

Yes its definitely VA type. That will mean your uniformity will be a lot better than an IPS panel. IPS by design leaks more light through from behind.

I wouldn't try and judge your TV and try and find what level is acceptable. Only think about you, what you watch and if you watch if its distracting. If you watch sport (like grass sports) with a uniform background you soon notice bad screen uniformity but if you don't really notice it, or notice only some and you don't mind it so much, then do not worry.

Without having samples side by side you aren't going to know where your TV fairs on the uniformity scale.

What I will say is the Philips is a direct lit model which means the lights are situated behind instead of the edge of the TV, what this means is compared to edge lit models you are more likely to see sections of the centre of the TV lit unevenly from the rest, with an edge lit model its the other way round, instead of getting different levels of light in the centre you get lighter patches round the edge. So no matter which way you go, you won't win.

To improve on uniformity with an LCD you'll need to spend a lot more money on a TV that has good local dimming, entry levels with that will cost almost £1500 at 65", maybe more.
Thank you, "dodgexander". Considering that I only see some "clouds" , mostly in the middle of the screen (as you suggested) when the screen is totally black, I hardly have conscience of it in day to day situations. Having said that, I am satisfied with the tv and have decided to keep it.

Hey @THX1234

Another thing:
Same movie different scenes. In some scenes the faces look very good and natural and sometimes the faces are too red or overcolored. As if settings would change during the movies. It also differs from movie too movie. Also some face shadows seem sometimes to reddish
Yeah, I've noticed that too.@THX1234 do you have the same problem? Do you have any idea how to fix that?

Hi my dad is looking to get the 65PUS7303/12, is this a good TV to get? Reading this thread it seems it is difficult to get the correct picture. He like the ambilight feature, watch netflix and watch alot sports, also 4K films and the odd PS4 gaming.

Hi my dad is looking to get the 65PUS7303/12, is this a good TV to get? Reading this thread it seems it is difficult to get the correct picture. He like the ambilight feature, watch netflix and watch alot sports, also 4K films and the odd PS4 gaming.

I find this tv very good considering the price. I got the 65 inch and the 43inch modell. Direct LED is a big plus, good black level and motion. And if you fiddle a bit with the setting U get a good picture. There Are a lot og good settings in this thread. And thx1234s last settings works really well for me. Brightness om HDR is somewhat crippled (ONLY 350nits) but if thats not a big problem ill say go for IT. Philips have always been for the one whos love great picture if U know your way around settings

I find this tv very good considering the price. I got the 65 inch and the 43inch modell. Direct LED is a big plus, good black level and motion. And if you fiddle a bit with the setting U get a good picture. There Are a lot og good settings in this thread. And thx1234s last settings works really well for me. Brightness om HDR is somewhat crippled (ONLY 350nits) but if thats not a big problem ill say go for IT. Philips have always been for the one whos love great picture if U know your way around settings
He found the 65" on Amazon for £760, would it be worth paying the extra and getting a 55" LG Oled? His worried about burn in and he does watch the footy and SSN quite alot so always logos sticking on the screen.

I would not have recommended this set when I first got mine a few months back, but now I have chipped away at getting the settings for my eyes anyway more or less on the money and the picture is very clear, detailed and sharp with bright punchy colours and smooth motion.

The trouble I had was that skin textures looked too unnatural(like people applied to much make up on to hide any wrinkles), also It tends to over sharpen with certain enhancements on but by changing, enabling and disabling certain settings have achieved a picture that I absolutely love now.

So 'YES' go ahead and buy one, but it may take some time to get the best out of it.

I would not have recommended this set when I first got mine a few months back, but now I have chipped away at getting the settings for my eyes anyway more or less on the money and the picture is very clear, detailed and sharp with bright punchy colours and smooth motion.

The trouble I had was that skin textures looked too unnatural(like people applied to much make up on to hide any wrinkles), also It tends to over sharpen with certain enhancements on but by changing, enabling and disabling certain settings have achieved a picture that I absolutely love now.

So 'YES' go ahead and buy one, but it may take some time to get the best out of it.
which settings would you recommend?

which settings would you recommend?

Movie
Colour 70
Contrast 70
Sharpness 5
Brightness 65
Advanced
Colour enhancement minimum
Custom colour temp 117 . 106 . 93 . -2 . 0
Contrast mode off
Hdr upscaling off
Dynamic contrast off
Video contrast 95
Light sensor off
Gamma 0
Sharpness ultra resolution off
Noise reduction minimum
Mpeg artifact off
Motion movie

The above settings are great to my eyes and even sd looks ok too.

Low noise reduction setting cleans some noise, but does not take any fine detail, anything higher and it starts to eat away at finer details, I also find that mpeg artifact set on anything but completely off again finer details gets lost.

I found that turning off the ultra resolution got rid of some of the fake over sharpening, I then upped the sharpness setting to 5 without any fine detail shimmering - hair for instance.

May not be for everyone, but hopefully improves your viewing.

Standard
Color 55
Contrast 70
Sharp 2
Brightness 60
Color enhancement minimum
Custom color temp 117 106 93
Contrast mode off
HDR off
Dynamic contrast minimum
Video contrast 88
Light sensor off
Gamma +2
Ultra resolution on
Blide reduction medium
Mpeg minimum
Motion movie or natural motion minimum

Works well for Netflix and Blu rays. And okay for tv.(digital box through HDMI) the highest quality for tv om norway is 720p so ther is some limitations when the tv is 65inch. But does upscaling fairly well.. These settings on 1080p and 4k is just stellar.. almost oled blacks

Standard
Color 55
Contrast 70
Sharp 2
Brightness 60
Contrast mode off
HDR off
Dynamic contrast minimum
Video contrast 88
Light sensor off
Gamma +2
Ultra resolution on
Blide reduction medium
Mpeg minimum

Works well for Netflix and Blu rays. And okay for tv.(digital box through HDMI) the highest quality for tv om norway is 720p so ther is some limitations when the tv is 65inch. But does upscaling fairly well.. These settings on 1080p and 4k is just stellar.. almost oled blacks[/QUOT

*Noise reduction

Movie
Colour 70
Contrast 70
Sharpness 5
Brightness 65
Advanced
Colour enhancement minimum
Custom colour temp 117 . 106 . 93 . -2 . 0
Contrast mode off
Hdr upscaling off
Dynamic contrast off
Video contrast 95
Light sensor off
Gamma 0
Sharpness ultra resolution off
Noise reduction minimum
Mpeg artifact off
Motion movie

The above settings are great to my eyes and even sd looks ok too.

Low noise reduction setting cleans some noise, but does not take any fine detail, anything higher and it starts to eat away at finer details, I also find that mpeg artifact set on anything but completely off again finer details gets lost.

I found that turning off the ultra resolution got rid of some of the fake over sharpening, I then upped the sharpness setting to 5 without any fine detail shimmering - hair for instance.

May not be for everyone, but hopefully improves your viewing.

I tried this , but i found that the image got prone to backlight bleeding(clouding) and overall a very bright image. But every panel is slightly different. But ive got 7363/12. Almost every tv in here is 7303/12 anyone know the difference? According to flatpanels they seem identical

Hey @THX1234

Another thing:

Sorry for quoting myself but has somebody a solution for this behaviour?

Hi al, has anyone managed to perfect the TV for sport as yet? I love the picture I get out of digital TV ariel, prime, netflix but have played and played with settings for football and can't get a decent picture compared to my ten year old Samsung and also it suffers from judder constantly as if its skipping frames.. Tried using sideloades apps on the TV like kodi and ipTV smarters, via my pc as thought maybe the TV could not handle the processing, you tube etcbut all seem to suffer from this terrible motion judder effect! Any advice would be massively appreciated; especially now football season is upon us

Hi all, just a quick tip that may help. Like many I found the TV has excessive undefeatable sharpening on many external feeds through HDMI. I only recently came to this realisation but a very simple fix is to allow the source 'player' to do the upscale to 4k before being sent to the TV as the TV seems to bypass the sharpening when being fed a 4k signal and you end up with a far cleaner image. Another side effect is that with my UHD player now upscaling 1080p Blu Ray's to 4k prior to being fed to the TV, this has somehow unlocked the monitor mode as this was greyed out when being fed a direct 1080p signal.

Bottom line - if possible allow your player/device to upscale to 4k NOT the TV.

Sorry if this is obvious but I figured as it took a few weeks for me to work this out, others may be in the same boat.

Standard
Color 55
Contrast 70
Sharp 2
Brightness 60
Contrast mode off
HDR off
Dynamic contrast minimum
Video contrast 88
Light sensor off
Gamma +2
Ultra resolution on
Blide reduction medium
Mpeg minimum

Works well for Netflix and Blu rays. And okay for tv.(digital box through HDMI) the highest quality for tv om norway is 720p so ther is some limitations when the tv is 65inch. But does upscaling fairly well.. These settings on 1080p and 4k is just stellar.. almost oled blacks

Hi.

Do you also change settings when HDR signal is detected?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom