Philips 55PUS7503/12 Keeps switching to home screen

mikeinatruck

Standard Member
Reaction score
My Philips TV has started changing to the home screen of its own accord regardless of what input you are using.(The page where you choose Netflix, prime and other apps etc) Software is up to date, Batteries are new in controller but I dont think its that as sticking it under a pillow makes no difference.. Anyone else seen this issue before and have fix? am doing a factory reset to see if that works but not holding my breath...

Tried unplugging and doing a factory reset but still not right. If you watch an HDMI input or freeview it will keep switching to the APP home screen on its own and will reload the page every so often, however if you switch to streaming Prime or Netflix it its fine and does not switch to the homescreen? Anyone ever seen anything like that before?

My TV has developed the exact same issue. Constantly reloading the home screen.
Unplugged everything, so it's something to do with the TV. Even if I sit on the home screen, it reloads itself.

As you say - if you sit in a streaming app, e.g. youtube, it's all fine, but not on any of the home screen areas. or watching anything on HDMI or Freeview. If I exit from youtube back to the TV, it'll be back on youtube again within a short period.

Factory reset hasn't resolved it like you.

I am waiting to hear from Philips but what i have found is if I switch it to freeview then turn it off and unplug it so it powers down then plug it back in after about 5 mins if it goes straight to freeview after the Android splash screen it is fine I can watch Freeview or HDMI input (sky) if I switch it to standby and then later switch it on it goes back to switching to the home screen. try that see if you have any luck, does not work every time if you dont get the aerial input you have to try again, as i say I find switching it to aerial input before switching off helps.

that does seem to work oddly. I'm talking to philips support as well.
Initial recommendations weren't any use 🤨.

Unplug everything, restart, etc.

Done all that already and factory reset/etc - waiting now for another new set of 'instructions' to try.

Still nothing back from philips, in the meantime, I've tried another google account and then disabled auto-updates of the apps in the playstore as soon as I got in.

So far so good.

Updates left to run are:

AppDate Updated
Prime Video8 April 2020*
Chromecast built-in10 Feb 2020
Google app for android TV18 Feb 2020
Google Play Music8 Feb 2019
Google Play Games30 Mar 2020
Google Text-to-speech27 Feb 2020
Android TV Remote Service25 Mar 2020
Android TV Home13 Nov 2019
Android TV Core Serices13 Nov 2019
Google Play Movies & TV31 Mar 2020
Android System Webview15 Apr 2020*
Youtube for Android TV28 Jan 2020
Netflix3 Mar 2020

If the issue doesn't come back, I'm going to start to update each in reverse date order.
The webview update coincides with when my issue started.

So far it's been on for a few minutes without having the issue, and I've been in/out of the smart tv bits, which usually causes the issue to happen pretty quickly

Thats interesting. Did you do a factory install to wipe everything prior to using the new Google account?

Yes. Still so far so good, and by now as I've been in/out of the home screen/smart features it would definitely be showing the issue. I'm Going to update the 2019 apps first and leave it for a while again

I should add - I'm pretty certain even a factory reset and reinstall still leaves things behind.
If I can find a way to clear everything properly, I think that would be the solution, either that or one of these apps that is causing the issue

Also - just had a reply off philips. They've sent me a link to a firmware to flash via USB.
I might try the philips approach first, then come back to this after if the issue still persists

Ok - they sent me a full firmware which totally reset the TV - I've run this, then did a reinstall, updated all the apps, and so far so good. I can't send you the file as my TV is a different model (7303).
I'll post back if it reoccurs in the next day or so. In the meantime, you should ask them if they can send you a complete upgrade loader that you can apply through a USB drive.

Cool that sounds like a positive result... I find if it starts up on the aerial input its fine until i go to standby and switch back on... I am now speaking with Philips so i will see what they say. Cheers keep me informed if it fixes your issue. :)

Cool that sounds like a positive result... I find if it starts up on the aerial input its fine until i go to standby and switch back on... I am now speaking with Philips so i will see what they say. Cheers keep me informed if it fixes your issue. :)

Was exactly the same for me. The minute I went to standby, or into any smart stuff, it was completely screwed. So far so good - installed everything back now and the issue hasn't happened all morning.

Just to report back that its been fine overnight, and there is no re-occurrence of the issue, using my original google account, after applying the upgrade loader via USB, then doing a reinstall, everything is back to normal.

I had Philips on email yesterday and they have also sent me the link to download the software update, zipped it was 2.0Gb! Going to try it today and see if that cures it, i am starting to think the incremental updates have corrupted themselves... well thats my hope. Glad to hear yours is still behaving.

UPDATE-
Same as DP, i did the forced full reinstall of the software from the link they sent me, its a 2.0Gb download. it did a factory erase and restart and so far touch wood it is all working correctly again. So its definately an issue with the incremental updates, I am guessing there is a corruption somewhere...

DP we seem to be running the same software format TPM171E_107.001.101.002

That's good news 👍.
I've saved the image file, ready for if i need it again in the future!

Bad news 14 days in and it's returned.
Rather than fight with it - I've reapplied the firmware again, and then disabled auto-update on the play store. Going to watch how it goes again now.

Last edited:
Exactly 14 days from last reinstall and it's returned again :eek:

Well, I've tried different google accounts, stopping auto updates, etc, but nothing works. We have a different make android tv, in a different room and that doesn't suffer from the issues, so it's something specific to the philips model which I can't pin down.

My TV would be 1 year old in 2 weeks time - as such, I've taken the approach of returning it as faulty right now to avoid more complicated warranty/repair complications.

I can't keep continuously resetting it to buy a short period of time without an issue, or forever pulling the power cable out of the back as mikeinatruck mentions which does give a short term resolution until the smart TV software is launched, or the TV is turned off again.

Therefore it will be collected next working day, and I'll be buying a different brand. Shame, as I really liked the ambilight, but the issue has left a very sour taste in my mouth - especially coming at the time of the whole covid19 lockdown and the amount of pain it's caused me with the family complaining, so philips have been put on my list of "never again for a TV".

@mikeinatruck, I hope you have more luck than me :(

My Philips PUS7303 which I purchased in June last year has started doing the same thing around a week ago. I did a reinstall and it worked for a day, but has started flicking back to the home screen everytime I attempt to watch satellite TV. I've been in touch with Philips who have asked me to provide further details and proof of purchase. I'll keep you updated.

I think there is a corrupted update, they should eventually send you a link to a full software download, you put it on a USB and plug it in then turn on the TV and it does the install. Factory reset does not work as it does not overwrite the software. Mine has been fine ever since I did my reinstall. I have turned off auto updates for now as well..

Dpembo... thats a pity about yours? mine has been fine ever since i did the reinstall.. Have they given you any other ideas?

Dpembo... thats a pity about yours? mine has been fine ever since i did the reinstall.. Have they given you any other ideas?

They didn't - I returned it to Amazon who were great and refunded it withtout question even though it was over 11 months old. I swapped it for a TCL android TV. The TCL has not experienced the same issues that I had with the philips, though I think technically I preferred the philips, just couldn't live with the recurring issue as it made it impossible to use, and with the whole covid lockdown going on at the time, this was one issue I just didn't need. The TCL has a few annoying software issues also though :D

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom