Philips 75PUS6754

Idan

Novice Member
Reaction score
Richer Sounds are selling this model for £999 (Philips 75PUS6754), and at that price it looks like a bargain, but I can't find reviews for that model (or any model of the 6704/6754 series) anywhere.

I know it's an entry-level model, and I know it's not OLED, but is it good? How does it fare in comparison to LG and Samsung's similarly-priced models?

Thanks!

I went into a Richer Sounds at lunchtime today hoping they would have a Philips on show and they had a 50 PUS6754.

Out of EVERY Led in store it was showing the deepest blacks, i even asked them to turn off the store lights, for a better view and appeared to be on par with the Qled screens but could simply be the store setup.

I believe the 50 inch uses a VA Panel (deepeer blacks) but not sure about the the 75, it could be IPS.

Didn't get a chance to test the rest of the screen but the actual black level was very impressive considering i am coming from a Pioneer LX5090.

Sorry i can't be more help at the stage but if i purchase it then i'll certainly leave a comment and some feedback.

i picked up a 55pus7334 yesterday , sadly its going back dolby vision doesnt even work on this set tried every setting thats available, updated to the latest firmware, tried several hdmi cables. as for Philips support. yeah nothing. so disappointing

Attachments

• dolby vision.jpg
    dolby vision.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 812
I got this about 3 weeks ago from Richer Sounds for £1250. I needed a TV as mine had broke but wish I waited now for a £250 saving :(

Hi there, Im also looking to purchase this TV and wanted to hear some feedback from current users. I already have a 65" KS9000 which was pretty much top of the range LED TV for its time. Im still keeping that one but was interested in this TV due to its sheer size and ambilight functions. Im not at all expecting QLED performance but wanted to know from existing owner what the black levels, contrast, colours and motion was like. In particular how good is the HDR function? I read the 55" is VA panel and 350nits but Im not sure if this is the case with the 75" model. Due to its size Richer Sounds class it as a 'niche' product so its very possible at that end of the market they make changes to its components.

It is still a remarkably cheap TV for its size.

Lastly, how effective is the ambilight feature? I have a huge 3.5m x 7.0m white wall I'll be placing this on. Richer Sounds had the 55" version with Ambilight on but it was against a window and grey screen so we really didnt get to be it in its best environment. It looks nice but its just a nice bonus for me at this point. Im mainly concerned how well its actual picture quality will be - not obsessively so as I have the KS9000 for that, but just want to be sure that this is a big leap up from the ultra budget TVs. £900 is still a lot of money for any telly!

I did ask RS if they had any other 75" TV undr £1k that would rival the performance of this one and they said absolutely not. Its probably the best value 75" TV out there. I just wanted to hear back from others what their thoughts are on theirs

The 75'' 6754 has an ips panel. I am in the same boat too. I am interested in buying the 75pus7354, because I want the biggest ambilight tv there is, but cannot find any user reviews. My biggest concern is black levels due to ips. If they are half-way decent fine, but if they are not I will be very disappointed. 70PUS7304, which is a va panel, is not big enough to replace my 63" plasma.

Oh, thats interesting. I was certain it would be VA. Having got used to my KS9000's ultra blacks I do like my blacks as black as possible. I dont really care for IPS's viewing angle since we'll be viewing it dead on. I wonder whether the direct lighting and micro dimming i enough to keep black levels deep enough. I just spoke to Richer Sounds and I think we'll be buying this TV tonight if I can find a half decent review or comprehensive specs. I still feel im buying this TV blind. I'll have the option to return it if im not happy but its still a faff. Im not expecting OLED/QLED performance at this price point but I do want to have a minimum standard for blacks, brightness, colours and motion.

Well, direct led, micro dimming and ambilight will help with contrast/ black level perception, but don't expect va quality blacks. If they are acceptable is the question, because I really want the ambilight feature in my living room, but don't want to see movies at night with grey/bright/hazy blacks.

Set up my mates 55" last week and showed him some 4k HDR demos off youtube and a few ones off the USB card and we were both v impressed. Interface is OK as its not android but perfectly good. Remote is fine although it took us a while to realise there are actual click buttons in the middle of both buttons with plus and minus on them (writing there is so so tiny) which is handy on the right one to just cancel everything you are in and drop back to just watching TV. He got it for 429 or there about which just strikes me incredible value tbh.

6703 review here Home review

The ambilight is fantastic - I really had no idea it would be so great. Plenty of options too in the menu to have it on as a flat colour when the TV is off so its like a lamp or follow audio or video etc when tv on. Plenty of settings to customise it too for things like sports, comfort , relax. night.

Isn the 6703 the 2018 model? I thought the 2019 model was much upgraded but i cant seem to find any actual reviews for the 75" one. I think I'll push the button on the 75" tonight. It seems a big step up from the other sub £900 Richer Sounds 75" screens.

This is my puny 65" Samsung KS9000. Its got all the bells and whistles of a high end TV but its being moved to the games room and in its place I'll put the 75" Ambilight. That should fill those walls nicely. I have wanted a cheap 85" but they dont exist at my price point ☹

Lounge.JPG

Congratulations! Please, be kind enough to post your impressions regarding contrast/black levels at night time viewing. If they are decent, I might also take the plunge and buy the 75pus7354.

Of course! It would be rude not to! Mine wont be here until next Saturday by the way.

Points to consider
1. This TV is AMAZING value for money. If youre willing to accept some high end performance sacrifces this telly is the bees knees in terns of value for its size.
2. This model seems to be being discontinued so as far as I know there are only 24 units left in the entire uk distro chain. Once theyre gone theyre gone
3. Its £899 at Richer Sounds with a 6yr warranty
4. There is a Voucher code for £20 off - TV20 - that expires soon
5. There is £27 off with Topcashback

Fingers crossed its as good as it seems. Im not that fussy but if it does turn out to be sh*t I can return it for £15 collected wth a full refund. Nothing ventured nothing gained as they say.

Last edited:
Can any owners confirm the 75” is an IPS panel?

Seem to be IPS for the 75" models

I would love it to be VA. I think its only in the smaller models that they use a mix of IPS and VA.

I'd be keen to hear from owners on how good the blacks actually are. Mine should arrive next Saturday so I'll pot my opinions then.

Large box size. I envy you! Now, let's just hope the tv not only looks the part, but also gets the job done properly!

This is a *very* quick and initial update/review

I unboxed it yesterday. The new TV stand I bought was way too small (I thought certified for 65" and 40KG would be fine as this was 'only' 10 inches bigger and 33kg but it was too big and 'flopped' around on the VESA pedestal stand). That made us panic. We decided to install the feet and stand it on a wide TV stand. I had to leave it resting on a sofa while I raced off to IKEA on a Sunday afternoon to buy an emergency TV stand before they closed.

We then came back with the IKEA BYAS. We constructed that, put the TV feet on and started the TV installation process.

I've found the software to be very clunky and slow. Maybe it was just the initial set up but still disappointed in that area. Standard TV shows look amazingly good. Much better than my KS9000 that seemed to blow out highlights and crushed blacks but that might be becuause i kept it on HDR picture settings. This TV seems to handle standard 1080i TV very well.

The KS9000 has a one connect box with a powered USB so adding a portable hard drive with media files was always plug and play. Compatibility with different file types was high.

However The Philips just couldnt detect it. I then tried a USB stick and played a 1080p movie trailer but then the TV stopped detecting it altogethe. Formatted it on the PC, added a video file but still no joy on the TV. It was infuriating trying to figure it out. The firmware was the latest. I gave up on the hard drive. I suspect the USB port isnt powered so only low powered flash drived or powered hard drived will work.

Eventually I had to pull my Xbox One S from my games room and plugged the hard drive in there. It played some of my 1080p and 4k HDR demos clips but not all - that was just a format issue that I havnt had time to look into which file are compatible from my collection or not. I used the default Xbox Media Player and also VLC. Neither was great as just plugging and playing into my Samsun KS9000 where everything just worked.

I eventually just ran a 1080p blu ray movie via the Xbox and we managed to watch something at least.

OK so some initial pros and cons

Cons
- Software seems slow and glitchy. Menus took forever to load when it was being set up.
- We said worst case scenario we might have to bypass all the TVs smart capabilities and just use it as a monitor and use a 3rd party smart box/stick. Its looking like we might just have to do that.
- The feet are very wide apart so you will need a very wide TV stand (mine below is 160cm)
- Remote is cheap. I might buy a higher spec TV Ambilight remote.
- Blacks are not as great as the KS9000 Im used to. I mainly noticed it watching movies with the black bars above and beyond but its wasnt distracting.
- Most of my 10 bit HDR10 demos ran but it doesnt support wide colour gammut so the whites were all overblown and colours were off. It was a bit of a mess. I might try a 4K HDR movie disk on my xbox to test its true 4K capabilities.
- The TV itself surprisingly chunky but thats probably the backligh LEDs..
- The sound seemed OK when we first tried it but its irrelevant as we have a good soundbar.
- The motion processings didnt seem the best but I didnt properly tweak or review this. Perhaps in movie mode things will look just right.
- The box is ENORMOUS! I have no idea where i will store it.

Pros
- Even though its rated 350 nits, the screen seems VERY bright. The sheer size of it means naturally even at 350 nits it gives off a lot of light in the room. Its certainly not dim.
- Runs SD/1080i/1080p content amazingly well. I was surpised how good BBC channels look in HD. My KS9000 overprocessed them by default but this TV displays content just right.
- 4K looks very good. I was disappointed at first when the HDR10 demos failed to run properly. I then tried out the 4K ambilight demo that was build for this TV. I think it was a 8 bit material but it looked stunning and ofcourse it was build for Ambilight so that effect was excellent. As a measure of the standard this TV can output I was very impressed indeed.
- Ambilight is a showstopper! It enhanced all the movies we tried. We had our pizza without any of the lights or lamp on on as ambilight created a nice ambience that was bright enough.
- Ambilight is the reason we will look over some of the other deficiencies or spend more money on media playing hardware to get around its software. It really is stunning. We may even invest in Philips Hue lights. I wasnt expecting much but I was blown away by the final experience. Movies nights will never be the same again!

I have to say I really havnt had a chance to adjust the settings or tweak it properly. It was frustrating to find 4K media playback through external devices was so tricky. We love our KS900. It runs amazing tech demos and good for 4K HDR1000 movies. We still have it in our games room however the 75inch Ambilight was a stunning 'upgrade' in terms of size and overall spectacle. I still need to tweak the settings. Techwise no KS9000 but my expectations were very well managed before we bought it. The image qulaity of the screen is more than up to par for our needs, the size and the ambilight will wow most people when it comes to watching regular 4K, blu ray, Streaming services and regular TV.

As I said, our beloved 65" KS9000 is great for showing off 4K 10 bit HDR1000 content but we only watch a few of these high spec movies every once in a while. The Philips does more for us for our regular viewing habbits.

Just look at the image below! Thats a 75" TV in action. Its created an experience closer to cinema than Ive ever experienced at home. Look at how much of the room is bathed in light.

IMG-20200202-WA0001.jpeg

My to do list for this TV
- Optimise the picture setting
- Play around more with the USB stick and media files to see what does and doesnt work
- Possibly buy an external media player/streamer
- Possibly invest in a Hue lights kit

If you manage your expectations and know what qualities in a TV really matter for you then this could be the best TV for you. My intial satisfaction level is 7/10. Once I’ve made my adjustments it should be 8/10. After we sort out our external/3rd party streaming/media system it should be a solid 9/10 for me. Value for moneywise it should be an easy 10/10.

I'll re-update my points when Ive had more time to play with it.

Last edited:
Congratulations on your new tv! Hope you enjoy it! As for its operating system, SAPHI is still relatively new and needs at least 3-4 firmware updates to work decently . If you can wait a few months for the tv to receive them fine, otherwise Amazon Fire Cube or the new SHIELD complement this tv very well. Good idea to buy more hue lights and extend the ambilight effect all over the room. This is the tv's strong point after all. As for the settings, most Philips tvs are picky and you need to spend at least several days to get them right.

P.S. When you say blacks are not as good as Samsung's va panel, are we talking bright, hazy, weak blacks and a low contrast general image or are they decent enough for you to live in the long run? Can the panel go dark enough in low light scenes? Does micro-dimming work effectively? Also, is there much back light bleeding due to ips and how visible is it? Thank you in advance and again enjoy your new tv!

@humax - I'll do a proper review when I can otherwise I'll just keep posting back my observations in bit form.

In the mean time, if anyone is interested in this TV for £899 from Richer Sounds, this deal is no longer available online. It will be in store only so you might have to be quick to snap one up. The similarly priced LG is also running low on stock.

I have Philips 22 inch dumb TV from 2018 in kitchen, and it reads movies from external HDD just fine. Also, 32 inch LG with 0.5A port will read and play movies.

I managed to format a USB stick in NTFS and copied across a 4K HDR movie. As soon as plugged it in it was recognsed and the clip played flawlessly. Still loving Ambilght. Watched a few youtube clips and it worked amazingly. Its hard to imagine ever going back.

Im still trying to work out the operational and performance paramaters of this TV.

So far Im very pleased and impressed

Yes, Ambilight is great and the main reason, along with picture processing, to buy a Philips TV. Too bad they abandoned its extreme version Ambilux, which created an almost psychedelic effect.

Well I just couldnt help myself and bought an Hue starter kit. I have two ceiling spotlights above and edge to edge of the TV where these will go. I saw the white Hue lights on sale at Argos for £20ish. Im not sue where I could put another two lights or how effective they would be with ambilight if theyre only white. I'll post back once the coloured ones arrive tomorrow.

Check out the 4k thunder storm video by user Testpilot on Youtube, which is impressive even by Ambilight standards. That should give you some ideas. I suppose you may want to begin with the room corners that the TV's Ambilight reaches the least.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom