philips 7603

Reaction score
i've just ordered the 47" philips 7603 and am wondering if anyone else here has one or has opinions on it? i bought it after seeing the picture quality on my friends tv and was gobsmacked by it tbh!

New model with very good looking specs but 7 series are always in the shadow of 9 series

Welly 59, can you do a review when you get it as I'm thinking of getting the 7603 as well. I'd love to go for the 9603 but I think it will be too expensive when it comes out.

Just out of interest where did you order from and how much?

Thanks

as soon as i get it i will post a review with my limited knowledge:thumbsup: i'll get some good pics up of the unit etc as well. i've ordered it from a local shop near me for £1300. i could have probably got it a bit cheaper elsewhere but i like to know the places that i buy from.

i will say one thing about the tv which is head and shoulders above my old samsung is the sound. with my samsung i couldnt use the tv speakers as they were so poor but with this one they are actually ok! i dont know if this is just because of it being 2 years newer or if it is because its just a better set

i spent a bit of time last night with my friend fiddling around with some settings on his tv, namely hd natural motion, and i cant decide if i like it or not!

when its on it does make everything look smoother, but it maybe makes it look a bit too good. the picture when watching tv with hdmn on doesnt look quite right, it has the effect of watching a cheap american soap or something dimilar. i cant figure out if thats how its ment to look and my brain isnt used to it looking so clear/smooth or not! is it a case of after 27 years of watching a juddery picture that its somehow ingrained into my brain thats how its meant to be?!?!?

Do you or your friend have a games colsole that you can test. The response time on the 7603 is 5ms compared to the 9603 which is 2ms. I would be interested to know if it makes any difference in lagging.

Yeah, I would let your eyes get used to the smoother picture.. couple of weeks of viewing and u will be more than happy with it.

Remember the default settings aren't necessarily the best settings.. if your tv has a sharpness level try lowering that.

Also ask around for the best settings option.. once u get your settings sorted u will be more than happy with your purchase.

i've played ps3 on the console and will be using a xbox360 on it quite a lot. i did not notice any lag while playing unreal tournament2(apart from the usual psn network!)

tbh i dont think anyone would be able to notice the difference between 2 and 5ms. its a difference of 0.003 seconds after all!

i've played ps3 on the console and will be using a xbox360 on it quite a lot. i did not notice any lag while playing unreal tournament2(apart from the usual psn network!)

tbh i dont think anyone would be able to notice the difference between 2 and 5ms. its a difference of 0.003 seconds after all!

Most people are interested in the input lag, which is a lag created because of the image processing.
This is not the same as the panel's responste time.

i know, but i was responding to zmans question. i've played unreal tournament on the set but not really for a long period. i'll try my 360 with guitar hero and call of duty 4 tomorrow and report back

i've had a chance to have a play with this tv now and i must say i'm very pleased with my purchase. HD content is absolutely superb via my 360 playing 1080p hd movies, with good colours and brightness. I havent found the best settings yet for my viewing so havent spent much time analysing blacks, but i can say they are not grey!

SD content(virginmedia digibox) is also of good enough quality. If i didnt watch so much hd content then i'd probably be very impressed with sd pq but as it is i do notice the difference in quality quite drastically when i switch between the two.

Sound on this tv is the best i've ever heard from an lcd. I used to have my samsung plugged into my home stereo as the sound on it was so poor, but with this tv it actually sounds better form the builtin speakers, note though that my home hifi is a 5yr old thompson cd deck.

I havent noticed any lag while playing games on my 360. i've played quite a bit of call of duty 4 and gta4 on it without any trouble. If there is input lag with this set then its not enough to bother me so it doesnt matter :)

if anyone wants pictures posted then i've got a 5mp camera which i should be able to take satisfactory ones with

Hi welly 59,

Love to see some pics when you get a chance to post them. I am currently looking at getting the Philips 7603 as it seems to be a very well specified/value for money lcd. Just deciding on whether to go for the 42 or 47" version. I am glad to hear your initial reports on SD material are promising, as up to now most of the lcd's & plasmas that I have seen have been only average in this area and this is a key area of consideration for me. Good to hear the inbuilt speakers are up to scratch too. As it happens, I have a Philips 36" CRT currently and that has done me proud with a cracking pic, but also is huge & weighty in my lounge! Any other good/bad points you have discovered so far?

Thanks for the review.

Yes some pics would be great as on the website it looks really sleek but real pics would be good to see.

I'm glad you say it's a good tv as now I'm really tempted to buy one although I might just wait and see how much the 9603 will go for.

Also, what is the ambilight like? I'm going to have my tv in the corner so no right against the wall so not sure if the ambilight will make much difference.

i've uploaded a few pictures and a quick video of the ambilight in action, i'm not the best photographer in the world so no laughing at my attempts to help!

picture taken from a wmvhd - ignore the lines as they are not visible with the eye, must be the camera
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n123/welly_59/21052008050.jpg

Picture showing how the clear frame look
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n123/welly_59/22052008055.jpg

straightforward pic of tv
[http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n123/welly_59/22052008052.jpg

side-on
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n123/welly_59/22052008053.jpg

another
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n123/welly_59/22052008054.jpg

video of the ambilight on fullblast - picture on screen is from SD source
http://s111.photobucket.com/albums/n123/welly_59/?action=view&current=21052008007.flv
I would have taken more pics of the unit, but i was in quite a rush to put it on the wall ready for the football!!

Good pics mate.

The clear frame and the look of the tv is stunning. Also the ambilight looks great on the wall. not sure how good it would look away from the wall though?

Was the football in HD or SD and what was the PQ like?

Sorry about all the questions, it's just great that someone has got one now. Don't know why there are no review onthe net or in any magazines.

it was SD for the football, i could take a video of some hd playing on it but i dont think you'd be able to appreciate it from the clips

I know that HD will look good on this tv, I'm actually more interested in the SD quality as this is where a lot of lcd's have problems, especially with football and fast moving images.

The older Philips models were apparently really good for SD and that is why I am looking at Philips.

I have a PS3 and know games and blu ray will look great but also have normal SD sky+ which I will be watching the most.

Welly 59,

Thanks for posting those pics, and the small vid. Definitely show off the tv well, particularly with the Ambilight against ur wall. I bet the Champions League Final looked cracking in SD on it! May I ask, what wallbracket you used to mount your tv, as I am also considering wall mounting the lcd to maximise use of space in my lounge?

Have you played around much with the Freeview side of your tv? What's the EPG like on the Philips..slow/fast responsiveness; quick to load up?

Thanks

i got my bracket from
http://www.tomwhitehouse.co.uk/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=16

but onyl because they are based near me and i wanted to get it asap. you are best not using low profile brackets with these tvs as they reccomend the leds are between 6-8inches from the wall for best effect.

i havent used the builtin freeview, mainly because i dont have an aerial so have all my content from my ntl box. if i can manage to find an aerial i will report back

I'm hearing very positive thing's about these philips!
Design they just look awesome, top of the line imo.

I'll try and give a look at this 7000 series since I'm looking forward to buy a 37" 40" lcd. If the 7603 keep the pace to the older brother(too expensive) I might give it a try. Its a shame there aren't too many reviews(or none lol) out there :(

Ok I just saw a 7603(37") next to two sammy's, M87BD and 5 series. Three playing hollow man on bluray.

- With default settings the philips was way much better than both sammy's. Natural colours, less grain.

- Dowside it had that 3d feature or something. I didn't like it, looked a bit strange. A floor employer turned off that feature, and boom awesome playback.

- Viewing angle..omg way much better than the sammy's

- As I caught the ending credits scene didn't noticed any ghosting, smearing. Black background, white letters.

Didn't have a chance to test in on sd, dvd, games so I'm totally blacked out in that areas.
Compared to a samsung 37" 6 series(on another area) and didn't noticed any big diferences. The sammy had a crappy source(some football clips) and could just see some smearing. The clips were way too fast, but anyway all tv's passing the same clip looked the same(lcd's).

9000 series is too expensive, I might give it a go at this 7603 and if not satisfied I'll get a sony 40W4000(+100€).
It's for a bedroom, I believe 40" could be way to much :D

welly_59 did you needed to update the firwmare regarding any issue?
Btw what pros and cons do you give to this tv :)

Hi, this TV (42 inch version) is for £1199 with a 5.1 DVD Home Cinema System in Comet if anyones interested.

I would like to know if the TV has any blurring issues e.g. the pictures becomes blurred when things are fast, or does it stay clear and crisp?

I received the 47" on Friday and I'm over the moon with it. Watching Planet Earth (Blu-Ray) is absolutely sublime and SD quality is good also. I'm now tempted to pay an extra fiver a month and switch to V+ on Virgin (just for BBC HD!).

I paid £1299 for the 47" (BeyondTelevision.com) with next day delivery in case anyone is tempted.

I also updated the firmware this morning and couldn't see any difference.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom