Philips 803 (65OLED803) Review & Comments

Good evening .. I’m new to this thread, as a 55” 803 is arriving tomorrow... my first Oled, and my first Philips tv, so should be interesting. I have previously been a Sony fan (currently have an XE85), which I have really liked .. very natural picture, but the promised Oreo update has still not been sent out, so time for a change. The 803 was chosen due to brilliant looks, great reviews on picture quality, and ambilight feature, so hopefully the investment will be rewarded. My question is does anyone know if the TV come with Oreo already installed? Thanks

I can’t recall if mine came with Oreo or if it was installed immediately after turning it on for the first time

What I will say is it’s absolutely nothing to get excited about, unlike the picture

I have a Sony XF90 and this blows it away

Help needed! I have just had delivery of a 55”803 and updated to Oreo. I connect tv to Sony 820 surround amp via ARC, with Sky HD and Sony blue ray as sources. Problem is that from home page, I cannot access Sky box either from input list or by pressing Sky button on Sky remote, it keeps defaulting to the blue ray player. If I disconnect blue ray played, the problem disappears.. any ideas? Thanks!

Can anyone with this TV please confirm something for me. I have had a nightmare trying to change any settings on the TV and after days of playing around discovered that I cannot change any settings except in Standard mode.

For example, I turn all the smoothing options up to max and get the soap opera effect in standard mode. Every mode I use after that also has the SOE, even though the settings are showing as all smoothing turned off. On the flip side, if I go into any other mode (Vivid, Natural, ISF etc) and make any adjustments it doesn't do anything. Go into Vivid mode and max out the smoothing settings and no SOE. Standard mode is literally the only mode in which you can change any settings (brightness, contrast etc etc) and it affects all other modes.

The manual clearly states that you can adjust settings for each mode and it will save them independently. I've had this TV for 3 days and it's driving me insane. I've reset to factory settings, re-installed the software and nothing has worked. It took me 3 days to work out that the above was the issue, prior to that I just thought I couldn't change any settings and it was stuck looking way too bright, horrible colours and the SOE with no way of changing it.

Anyone had this issue, know a fix or confirm that your TV will correctly let you adjust settings for each mode independently.

Thanks in advance.

I've got my 803 set up now...

Picture is just amazing, not seen anything like it before.

Couple of questions / issues

1) the speaker rattles really badly when something bass heavy gets played

2) seem to have quite bad black crush even after upping gamma and brightness

3) youtube wont allow me to play hdr...but amazon and Netflix does?

Thanks all

Was watching the champions league today on 4k UHD feed. There are smudges like paint as the players run around. Is anyone else having this issue and how does one sort it out??

Hi , I was watching TV Serie DARk on NF , which is in UHD quality , that also shows this problem. (aka Halo artefacts) It seems to appear with fast moving 'objects'. For what made it a bit better (or less worse) is to put the following settings: All settings, Picture, Advanced, Clean: Noise reduction: Off, MPEG on low. Perfect Natural Motion Off, Perfect Clear Motion Minimum
But it's still there, just a bit less . I'm very unhappy about this, but it is my only complaint. (best solution would be: Motion Style set on Movie, but that takes away the 'sparkle' & detail)

Further, just received the June update, which gave me (FInally!) HDR playback oin Amazon Prime, but weirdly enough in NF , it doesn't say HDR (signal detected) , but does clearly show HDR quality stream....(might be a NF mistake)

Q: Dit you manage to resolve our problem somehow ? IF so, plz elaborate

Last edited:
Anyone had this issue, know a fix or confirm that your TV will correctly let you adjust settings for each mode independently..

HI, No, yesterday I have been playing around A LOT with settings (for my smudge-around fast moving objects-problem and everytime I used and saved them in the Personal mode

HI, No, yesterday I have been playing around A LOT with settings (for my smudge-around fast moving objects-problem and everytime I used and saved them in the Personal mode
Thanks for replying mate. I'm getting the TV swapped out tomorrow so hopefully the new set will be working as expected.

I am now having lip sync issues on amazon and netflix. Does anyone else have this?

Not sure whether I should maybe swap out for a c8..
But I do like ambilight and android tv (weirdly)

For anyone else who experiences the same issues described in my earlier post, I have solved it.

I received a replacement TV this morning and the problem I had before was the same with the new set. The problem was not using the main remote, which I couldn't do on the first TV as it was DOA. When I got the new TV today I just started using the minimalist remote as I had got used to using it with the old set.

And that was the problem. Because of the lack of buttons, you had to go into the home screen, select settings from there and change the mode from there. It was working because when you went from say vivid to movie mode you could see the screen darken. But when you left the settings screen, it would revert to whatever settings were selected in standard mode.

With the main remote, selecting settings brings the modes up on the left side of the screen with the other 2/3 still showing whatever you are watching. Change the modes from here and everything works fine. If the main remote had been working on the first set I received I never would have even known about this problem.

Final solution, just in case anyone is without the main remote and needs to change settings. You have can long press the home button on the tiny remote to get a list of options without going though the home page and from here you can select frequent settings and change the modes that way.

Cheers all, off to enjoy the new TV :)

For anyone else who experiences the same issues described in my earlier post, I have solved it. :)
Good to know, I haven't touch the tiny , BECAUSE of the lack of being able to play with the settings , so... Gracias, will give that a go , now

Looks like there's a new Android update...
Oh and an update for the small remote :)

Last edited:
Looks like there's a new Android update...
Oh and an update for the small remote :)
Where did you read that ? I don't see anything on the Philips website...

I searched for an update on my TV, it found one and installed it. After the restart it told me that there is an update for the remote...
And after that update the small remote is usable!

Last edited:
It's this one:

TPM171E _ 107.001.038.000 – Date: 2019/06/26 - Android Oreo 8.0.0 based software - Improvements for translations - Updated Audio Quality for 9104 - Fix for RC firmware upgrade issue and pairing not working - Fix for Ambilight settings are not stored after restart - Fix for Google cast issues (casting is suddenly interrupted or not started) - Fix for DTS TruVolume output level drops over time.

Hello, after a long day yesterday, wanting to buy a 55XF9005 and because of finding the same issue on two different new TVs from two different showrooms (a black spot the size of a cherry on the center of the screen with 5-6 dead pixels in it); most definitely a bad lot, I decided to buy the 803 set and I'm underwhelmed to say the least. Yes, the picture is great, but that's about it. Changing channels takes ages (4-5 seconds), the android is slow and clunky (updated to 8.0, 7.0 was atrocious, after updating to 8.0 the Android circle remained impregnated on the screen for 2 hours or so, it was visible only on grey backgrounds, now it's gone), pretty bad banding. And the issue that kills me the most is the motion: it's horrible, the football games (1080i source) are almost unwatchable, ghosting on players, you almost cannot see the ball when there's a long pass, blurry players and ball, hick-ups... I've tweaked the settings many hours to no avail (if someone has some miraculous settings please tell me). Also in movies when there's quick hand movements, the motion is absolutely atrocious. Am I having a bad set or these are common issues with this TV? Thanks in advance!

Set picture mode to movie and turn off everything that's turn off-able o_O I use motion set to movie but set it to off if you're struggling.

If that's not solved it make sure the fault appears on an in built source such as the netflix app.

If it does then surely it's a faulty panel

Hello, after a long day yesterday, wanting to buy a 55XF9005 and because of finding the same issue on two different new TVs from two different showrooms (a black spot the size of a cherry on the center of the screen with 5-6 dead pixels in it); most definitely a bad lot, I decided to buy the 803 set and I'm underwhelmed to say the least. Yes, the picture is great, but that's about it. Changing channels takes ages (4-5 seconds), the android is slow and clunky (updated to 8.0, 7.0 was atrocious, after updating to 8.0 the Android circle remained impregnated on the screen for 2 hours or so, it was visible only on grey backgrounds, now it's gone), pretty bad banding. And the issue that kills me the most is the motion: it's horrible, the football games (1080i source) are almost unwatchable, ghosting on players, you almost cannot see the ball when there's a long pass, blurry players and ball, hick-ups... I've tweaked the settings many hours to no avail (if someone has some miraculous settings please tell me). Also in movies when there's quick hand movements, the motion is absolutely atrocious. Am I having a bad set or these are common issues with this TV? Thanks in advance!

Did you do a full reset after the update? if not do that I had similar issues after update to Oreo but reset sorted it ;)

1. Re-installation of a previously installed TV

To manually start the reinstallation of the TV, proceed as follows:

Press the “Settings/Menu” button on the remote control, scroll down and select:

[Frequent settings]* > [All Settings] > [General Settings] > [Reinstall TV] and press “OK” on the remote control.
*Only for some models

To delete all of the TV settings/HDD recordings and start the first installation process, confirm the option with the “OK” button on the remote control.

Did you do a full reset after the update? if not do that I had similar issues after update to Oreo but reset sorted it ;)

1. Re-installation of a previously installed TV

To manually start the reinstallation of the TV, proceed as follows:

Press the “Settings/Menu” button on the remote control, scroll down and select:

[Frequent settings]* > [All Settings] > [General Settings] > [Reinstall TV] and press “OK” on the remote control.
*Only for some models

To delete all of the TV settings/HDD recordings and start the first installation process, confirm the option with the “OK” button on the remote control.
Set picture mode to movie and turn off everything that's turn off-able o_O I use motion set to movie but set it to off if you're struggling.

If that's not solved it make sure the fault appears on an in built source such as the netflix app.

If it does then surely it's a faulty panel

Thank you for the tips. Reinstalling the TV definitely improved the banding, the motion is still disappointing on lower quality content or 24fps content. I will try to adapt to it, if not I'm going to return it. I guess all OLEDS have this type of motion!? And also I watch quite often a sport channel that has the Breaking News logo (like the CNN one) and the logo remains impregnated onto the screen even if I watch a short period of time, it disappears after some time, but it's quite annoying that it happens so fast. Newer TVs are a pain in the ass... every one has some kind of problem.

Firstly , you should use good source material, DVB might not suffice , use a Nvidia shield or Roku Ultra for streaming, for example
Secondly , I do not have that issue what you call impreganting (burn-in) , but this TV has a special option to relief that , called pixel-shifting

I don't use any TV broadcasts, I stream (and now the NF app is good, although I prefer to use my PC or Xbox1X for that) and mostly watch MKV's and (4K) Blurays

Did you really turn off all the advanced stuff ? Tip: use the standard setting to adjust to your liking, some peeps are reporting that the changes to other picture styles don't stick (not for me)

I also went crazy in the beginning on the motion artifacts, it's gone now

I've had no problems with motion on sports. Have you turned all processing settings off?

Just went to the alexa app on the TV and put my wrong gmail account in. Can't delete this wrong account now

strange that clearing the cache didn't work .... but it's good to hear , that you've worked it out (with a simple hard reset)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom