Philips 803 (65OLED803) Review & Comments

Thank you! Will give these a go! What base picture style are you using? HDR Natural? HDR Game?

Thank you! Will give these a go! What base picture style are you using? HDR Natural? HDR Game?
What i described is my custom settings based on HDR Game.
You can change every picture style if you open "all settings".
Ugh, also i forgot to mention there is ambient light sensor which is off, gamma sits on 0 and video contrast is also 100.

Last edited:
Can anyone suggest best settings for Xbox one x? I'm seeing noticeable difference in the smoothing even when just changing picture mode which seems odd!

Simply put it in Game HDR mode , this shhould alraedy (by default) have all processing features turned of

If Game HDR mode is not available , then you are not using the right HDMI port, only 2 out of 4 are 4K/UHD 4:4:4 60hz

I just realized that I haven't been here for a while :)

Anyone who uses an Nvidia Shield to the Philips 803? I get sound glitches on my Oled 803 when using the Nvidia Shield.

I know this is an old question, but I think this might help people with sound issues in general.

I got the same (sort of) issue with my shield (connected to the 803) the other day and also the built in android tv.
I have an old Pioneer wireless headphones (SE-DIR2000C) which I use in the evening to not wake the rest of the family. I noramly use my built in android tv, but have the shield for a few 4k (kodi) things that the built in cannot coop with. It is a little special setup with the shield connected to my Denon avr via HDMI (shut off / in passthough to get DD/DTS, as DD+/TrueHD/DTSMA is not supported on the old headphones), which is conected to the TV via HDMI, then cia toslink to the headphones.
Was watching a movie on the shield and got a crack in the sound every 30-60 sec. I though first it was the headphone that needed a fix (needs every 6-12 months). The normal fix didn't work, so I tried a few more things it could be, but no difference. Then I tried the cableling (switch one by one), then switched the Pioneer wireless base (have a spare) and then switched the wireless headphones (spare as well). Then I realized it must be the TV everything passes through. I did a settings reset (or whatever it is called), no difference. Then time was up and me and my boys watched an episode of She-ra on Netflix on the built in android tv (toslink here as well as I never got the ARC to work) and the cracks was here as well. After the episode I did a factory reset, as this did the trick after the Oreo update (then it wouldn't passthough 5.1 at all), and now everything was working again.

As several has written before, it seems to be a Netflix app issue before, but in my book a factory reset seems to fix a lot of sound issues (will of course not fix a broken app though), especially if they appear after an FW-update (did an update not long ago before this, not sure how close though, but fw update proably the culprit in my case).

Has anyone else had their set calibrated for HDR? Even on movie mode standard settings it’s way too dark...

Has anyone else had their set calibrated for HDR? Even on movie mode standard settings it’s way too dark...

I have only seen one person mentioned that he/she got the TV calibrated.
I struggled to get the picture to look good in HDR, but now a year+ later I'm still very satisfied with the settings I use, though wouldn't mind the settings of a calibrated TV, even though panels vary it would be interesting to try out!

I have only seen one person mentioned that he/she got the TV calibrated.
I struggled to get the picture to look good in HDR, but now a year+ later I'm still very satisfied with the settings I use, though wouldn't mind the settings of a calibrated TV, even though panels vary it would be interesting to try out!

Yes I agree. On HDR I have my brightness at 60. What do you have?

I just got mine set up and copied someone's settings (their own) from further up the thread. Pretty happy

Yes I agree. On HDR I have my brightness at 60. What do you have?

The below settings are what I use. I think these are very nice, but at the same time I'm not sure if they are close to "correct". Comments (creative that is) are always welcome.

Note that if you use a Nvidia Shield (as I use now and then), you will need to set "Match content colour space" to "on", otherwise non-HDR content will have very bleak colours.

My SDR settings:
Picture mode: Movie
Color 45
Contrast 75
Sharpness 0
Brightness 53
Advanced - color
Color space wide*
Color temp Custom
Red WP 127
Green WP 97
Blue WP 83
Red BL 0
Green BL 0
Blue BL 0
Advanced - Contrast
Contrast mode Optimized for picture
Perfect Natural Reality off
HDR Perfect Off
Dynamic Contrast Off
Video contrast 100
Light sensor On**
Gamma 0
Advanced - sharpness Ultra resolution Off
Noise reduction Off
MPEG artifact reduction Off
Advanced - motion Motion style Off
Perfect Natural Motion Off
Perfect Clear Motion ON******

My HDR settings:

Picture HDR Movie
Color 65
Contrast 100
Sharpness 1
Brightness 80
Advanced - color
Color space Wide
Color temp Custom
Red WP 127
Green WP 97
Blue WP 83
Red BL 0
Green BL 0
Blue BL 0
Advanced - Contrast
HDR Perfect Minimum
Dynamic Contrast Off
Video contrast 100
Light sensor On**
Gamma -1
Noise reduction Off

Color space is set to wide even for SDR as it will always change to wide anyway when I use my Nvidia Shield, for some reason. Did some compensation for the brightness for this, if I remember correct.

** I like the light sensor :)

Perfect Clear Motion is always set to on, I'm not sure why this cannot be turned off anymore, noticed it today when I checked the current settings. Was possible before, though not sure then this was the last time. Does anyone know why this is?

Hope it helps ;)

Is there any way to get the current picture information displayed on screen? E.g if I'm currently viewing content in 4k / HDR?

Is there any way to get the current picture information displayed on screen? E.g if I'm currently viewing content in 4k / HDR?
Yes there is, at least for resolution and hz, not sure about HDR information though.
I don't use the philips remote, I use a harmony and philips have a command called "info", which I have assign to my info-button on the harmony, that displays this information. Not sure if there is one on the remote as well, but you can at least pop up a menu (possibly action menu) where you then can click for the "info". Sorry that I don't know which button, but I don't use the remote. I'm sure someone here knows which button it is ;)

Yes there is, at least for resolution and hz, not sure about HDR information though.
I don't use the philips remote, I use a harmony and philips have a command called "info", which I have assign to my info-button on the harmony, that displays this information. Not sure if there is one on the remote as well, but you can at least pop up a menu (possibly action menu) where you then can click for the "info". Sorry that I don't know which button, but I don't use the remote. I'm sure someone here knows which button it is ;)

Thanks. I tried most of the obvious commands on the Phillips remote and couldn't find one, will have another play

The below settings are what I use. I think these are very nice, but at the same time I'm not sure if they are close to "correct". Comments (creative that is) are always welcome.

Note that if you use a Nvidia Shield (as I use now and then), you will need to set "Match content colour space" to "on", otherwise non-HDR content will have very bleak colours.

My SDR settings:
Color 45
Contrast 75
Sharpness 0
Brightness 53
Advanced - color
Color space wide*
Color temp Custom
Red WP 127
Green WP 97
Blue WP 83
Red BL 0
Green BL 0
Blue BL 0
Advanced - Contrast
HDR Perfect Off
Dynamic Contrast Off
Video contrast 100
Light sensor On**
Gamma 0
Noise reduction Off

My HDR settings:

Picture HDR Movie
Color 65
Contrast 100
Sharpness 1
Brightness 80
Advanced - color
Color space Wide
Color temp Custom
Red WP 127
Green WP 97
Blue WP 83
Red BL 0
Green BL 0
Blue BL 0
Advanced - Contrast
HDR Perfect Minimum
Dynamic Contrast Off
Video contrast 100
Light sensor On**
Gamma -1
Noise reduction Off

Color space is set to wide even for SDR as it will always change to wide anyway when I use my Nvidia Shield, for some reason. Did some compensation for the brightness for this, if I remember correct.

****** Perfect Clear Motion is always set to on, I'm not sure why this cannot be turned off anymore, noticed it today when I checked the current settings. Was possible before, though not sure then this was the last time. Does anyone know why this is?

Hope it helps ;)

Im currently using this one. I got my 803 a year now, but im still sometimes switch between settings. This HDR settings seems a better fit than the one i was using. But at the end its always also personal taste.

Im currently using this one. I got my 803 a year now, but im still sometimes switch between settings. This HDR settings seems a better fit than the one i was using. But at the end its always also personal taste.

Is there any way to turn off HDR while watching some content - just to see what the impact is that it makes?

My SDR settings:
Color 45
Contrast 75
Sharpness 0
Brightness 53
Advanced - color
Color space wide*
Color temp Custom
Red WP 127
Green WP 97
Blue WP 83
Red BL 0
Green BL 0
Blue BL 0
Advanced - Contrast
HDR Perfect Off
Dynamic Contrast Off
Video contrast 100
Light sensor On**
Gamma 0
Noise reduction Off

My HDR settings:

Picture HDR Movie
Color 65
Contrast 100
Sharpness 1
Brightness 80
Advanced - color
Color space Wide
Color temp Custom
Red WP 127
Green WP 97
Blue WP 83
Red BL 0
Green BL 0
Blue BL 0
Advanced - Contrast
HDR Perfect Minimum
Dynamic Contrast Off
Video contrast 100
Light sensor On**
Gamma -1
Noise reduction Off

****** Perfect Clear Motion is always set to on, I'm not sure why this cannot be turned off anymore, noticed it today when I checked the current settings. Was possible before, though not sure then this was the last time. Does anyone know why this is?

Hope it helps ;)
Just set my TV to these settings.
I'm not sold yet but giving it a few days.
Thanks for sharing

I'm quite liking them after a few days. Colours seem natural, brightness just right and think I'm going to stick with them (until I end up trying someone else's post!)

In the meantime can anyone confirm if the UsB ports turn off in standby?

Just set my TV to these settings.
I'm not sold yet but giving it a few days.
Thanks for sharing

In case anyone is wondering, they don't.
(Which is really frustrating - neither the xbox or tv turn off the USB ports when not in use, which means that my cabinet fans are running constantly)

I'm quite liking them after a few days. Colours seem natural, brightness just right and think I'm going to stick with them (until I end up trying someone else's post!)

Nice to hear! I have the same experience. A few days ago i checked my old settings but they looked awfull compared with those we are using now.

Nice to hear! I have the same experience. A few days ago i checked my old settings but they looked awfull compared with those we are using now.

Great to hear you liking them! :)

Is anyone else running optical from the TV to receiver?
I'm having some oddities where it works great for most of the time but it will flick off very briefly or crackle every now or then.
No idea if this is the TV but was using the receiver with a different TV in similar setup with no issues, so can only pin it to the TV
Anyone any thoughts?

Is anyone else running optical from the TV to receiver?
I'm having some oddities where it works great for most of the time but it will flick off very briefly or crackle every now or then.
No idea if this is the TV but was using the receiver with a different TV in similar setup with no issues, so can only pin it to the TV
Anyone any thoughts?
I have had the same issue after upgrading the FW, I think every time (3-4). Going from from android 7 to 8 Oreo even the DD5.1 via optical stopped working only 2ch PCM worked, both built-in apps and pass though (from Nvidia shield->TV->receiver via toslink).
The solution for this is to do a factory reset (reinstall TV I think it is called), unfortunately this is the only way as far as I know, but it works.

I have had the same issue after upgrading the FW, I think every time (3-4). Going from from android 7 to 8 Oreo even the DD5.1 via optical stopped working only 2ch PCM worked, both built-in apps and pass though (from Nvidia shield->TV->receiver via toslink).
The solution for this is to do a factory reset (reinstall TV I think it is called), unfortunately this is the only way as far as I know, but it works.

Interesting, thanks. Glad it's not just me

I have done a factory reset (or whatever they called it) since the update (but prior to these settings) - is there something I should be ensuring following the reset?

Interesting, thanks. Glad it's not just me

I have done a factory reset (or whatever they called it) since the update (but prior to these settings) - is there something I should be ensuring following the reset?

I just checked on my TV, the option to use is "Reinstall TV". The factory reset don't work for me.

I just checked on my TV, the option to use is "Reinstall TV". The factory reset don't work for me.
Thanks. Isn't that just to reset up the channels tho? I don't have a satellite or aerial connected so I think every time I try that option I get stuck
Will give it a go tho

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom