Philips 854 4K OLED Review & Comments

Sorry,I did not make it clear.I meant the q90r soundbar.
Ah. I don't have much interest in soundbars, so I didn't recognise the model number as referring to a soundbar, not to a television. My apologies also! :)

Sorry,I did not make it clear.I meant the q90r soundbar.

Would be my choices too but it's too high and blocks TV too much when placed on front of it. I think that 6,5 cm is the hight limit for me (ideal would be 5,5 cm). Have you tested atmos from TV Netflix, does IT work?

Would be my choices too but it's too high and blocks TV too much when placed on front of it. I think that 6,5 cm is the hight limit for me (ideal would be 5,5 cm). Have you tested atmos from TV Netflix, does IT work?
Atmos from netflix works either from the internal app or plug a streaming device directly into sb.No lip sync. issues either way.

Early Black Friday deal at Costco £1689.99 for the 65 inch bit of a bargain there I think.
I was sitting on the fence over this or Panasonic GZ950 but with this being £500 cheaper the decision may have been made.
Add on £15 if not currently a member.

Last edited:
I have placed my order today for the Philips 854 with Costco at £1689.99. Delivery is on Saturday so will follow up with thoughts.

Was deciding between the Philips and the LG C9 which has been on offer at just £100 more over the last couple of weeks. I went for this in the end as based on reviews there doesn’t seem to be much in it for picture quality and we are used to the ambilight feature on our current LCD Philips TV which integrates well with our other Hue bulbs. I will be getting this set professionally calibrated after around 100 hours viewing as I wouldn’t know where to start and Julian lives locally and comes recommended.

Anyone else going to bite?

Last edited:
Been lurking here for a bit while I have been deciding on the next set.

I was originally going to bite the bullet and go with the 934 over the weekend after demoing it, but I figured I was going to wait until Monday to see what the Costco Black Friday deals would bring.

This morning I was pleased to see the 65" 854 for £1699 - so I pulled the trigger. My delivery is also Saturday like Dubsteppa11 above.

I also have a few Hue's set up around the living room - few light strips, couple irises, and a handful of bulbs in our lamps, so I was always going to go with Philips for the set.

With the savings from the 934, I've decided to pair it with the LG SK9Y soundbar (thinnest I could find) and still saved a couple hundred quid under what I was planning to spend.

So - I've bit as well, great price for that set really, hard to pass up. Will share thoughts once I get it all set up.

With the savings from the 934, I've decided to pair it with the LG SK9Y soundbar (thinnest I could find) and still saved a couple hundred quid under what I was planning to spend.

Congratulatios for getting a new oled! Been also thinking of getting the sk9y or 10 with my 854. Would like to know if it blocks the picture and does it work without problems with the TV?

Congratulatios for getting a new oled! Been also thinking of getting the sk9y or 10 with my 854. Would like to know if it blocks the picture and does it work without problems with the TV?

The difference in height with and without the stand on the 854 via the specs is roughly 28-30mm (I'm on my phone so this is from memory).

The LGs were the thinnest around 58mm so yes you will get some slight blockage at the bottom but they are far thinner than the Samsungs. The q90r soundbar I think is around 70 or 80, it was much larger

Thanks for the congratulations! I forgot to give you a second part of the reply last night.

If you like, I can give you some updates on Saturday when the 854 and the SK9Y arrive and once it's all set up. Will be able to send some pictures of the height of the bar in front as well. I expect there to be about 25mm or so of obstruction.

Richer sounds has a pretty good price for the SK9Y at the moment, I paid £599 for mine, from the others that I listened to, I preferred the SK9 at that price point. Also the others were taller so that was a factor in my decision.

Although I didn't tinker with the settings in the shop, the sub was pretty punchy, but the sound wasn't super tight as you would expect. The levels were a bit bass heavy so it did drown out some of the dialogue, but I'm sure you can tweak your settings accordingly.

Just wanted to let everyone know that Costco will be stocking this model in 65" through the coming week(s)
£2279.98 Inc VAT

Just wanted to let everyone know that Costco will be stocking this model in 65" through the coming week(s)
£2279.98 Inc VAT

Costco already has this in stock, 65" for £1699, Black Friday special.

Yeah, saw that cracking deal on the 854. Richer won;t match it, 'cause they only sell the (similar) 804.
Shame Costco don't offer interest free.

I emailed Costco the other day asking when they will be getting the 55" in stock, there reply was within the next few days

[QUOTE="Fizzled, post: 27566426, member: 844013"
If you like, I can give you some updates on Saturday when the 854 and the SK9Y arrive and once it's all set up. Will be able to send some pictures of the height of the bar in front as well. I expect there to be about 25mm or so of obstruction.
[/QUOTE]

I would appreciate it! Tough I might buy my own soundbar before that. There is a Black friday deal for Samsung q76r for 499€ and I can get demo unit of SK10Y for 449€, So I think I will pull the trigger for one of the two.

[QUOTE="Fizzled, post: 27566426, member: 844013"

I would appreciate it! Tough I might buy my own soundbar before that. There is a Black friday deal for Samsung q76r for 499€ and I can get demo unit of SK10Y for 449€, So I think I will pull the trigger for one of the two.
[/QUOTE]

The SK10 is pretty beastly!

Hi Guys,

I am on the fence between 65" LG C9 and Philips 854 from Costco. Anyone regretting going with Philips over LG? Never had either of the brands before so new experience with both of them.

I currently have 55" Samsung JS8500 and looking to move to OLED.

Thanks

Hi Guys,

I am on the fence between 65" LG C9 and Philips 854 from Costco. Anyone regretting going with Philips over LG? Never had either of the brands before so new experience with both of them.

Thanks

I compared them side by side and Philips was either better or equal to C9.

I have gone with Philips because

Its £100 cheaper / Ambilight / Swirl base / Android etc

Hi Guys,

Thanks

I have been weighing this one up all week so perhaps my thoughts may help you make a decision after some (too much) research. I placed an order on Monday with costco for a Philips 854 which is currently at a great price (I’m a costco executive member so would have also got an additional 2% off plus a £10 black friday voucher code). This was due for delivery on Saturday.

Despite this excellent deal I have since cancelled my order and purchased a LG C9 from Richer Sounds instead who price matched Costco with an additional year warranty (6) which I took away the same day and have been enjoying yesterday. Had the difference in price been anymore than £100 I would have stuck with Phillips.

It turns out I do definitely miss ambilight and will be getting a hue lightstrip to add some background lighting to compensate (currently only £45 on amazon for 3m if anyone is interested). Other than that I am very happy with my choice and the picture out the box and will not be spending any additional on calibration just yet. The operating software is also fantastic on this LG, although I can’t compare myself reviews seem to agree this is better than android offering.

The swivel stand is a great feature on the Philips and a better solution than LG but would be missed for me as my tv will be wall-mounted. Also HDR10+ is on the Phillips only.

One of the main reasons I switched was due to HDMI e-arc which not available on this Philips. Whilst I didn’t need this feature yet I would like to purchase a Ambeo soundbar in the future which utilises e-arc for full lossless sound - I probably wouldn’t even notice!

Another reason was the future gaming benefits of this TV and 2.1 future-proofing. Although I’m not a gamer should I need to sell the TV on down the line it may appeal to a larger audience.

LG also has plans to update with Apple Airplay 2 which may come handy for some.

Again I’m splitting hairs and as someone said to me there’s no right or wrong just whatever works for you and have a gut feeling towards. Happy hunting

Last edited:
I have been weighing this one up all week so perhaps my thoughts may help you make a decision after some (too much) research. I placed an order on Monday with costco for a Philips 854 which is currently at a great price (I’m a costco executive member so would have also got an additional 2% off plus a £10 black friday voucher code). This was due for delivery on Saturday.

Despite this excellent deal I have since cancelled my order and purchased a LG C9 from Richer Sounds instead who price matched Costco with an additional year warranty (6) which I took away the same day and have been enjoying yesterday. Had the difference in price been anymore than £100 I would have stuck with Phillips.

It turns out I do definitely miss ambilight and will be getting a hue lightstrip to add some background lighting to compensate (currently only £45 on amazon for 3m if anyone is interested). Other than that I am very happy with my choice and the picture out the box and will not be spending any additional on calibration just yet. The operating software is also fantastic on this LG, although I can’t compare myself reviews seem to agree this is better than android offering.

The swivel stand is a great feature on the Philips and a better solution than LG but would be missed for me as my tv will be wall-mounted. Also HDR10+ is on the Phillips only.

One of the main reasons I switched was due to HDMI e-arc which not available on this Philips. Whilst I didn’t need this feature yet I would like to purchase a Ambeo soundbar in the future which utilises e-arc for full lossless sound - I probably wouldn’t even notice!

Another reason was the future gaming benefits of this TV and 2.1 future-proofing. Although I’m not a gamer should I need to sell the TV on down the line it may appeal to a larger audience.

LG also has plans to update with Apple Airplay 2 which may come handy for some.

Again I’m splitting hairs and as someone said to me there’s no right or wrong just whatever works for you and have a gut feeling towards. Happy hunting

If you wanted syncing with the movies, you'll need a Hue sync playbox (not out, £229 when out). Also, I assume you have a Hue bridge as well for the light strip?

That is exactly why i am still on the fence. My kids and I do gaming on XBOX One X . So gaming functionality is important to me.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom