Philips 854 4K OLED Review & Comments

I’ve got the Philips OLED 803 and I’m really impressed. It’s a nice change to see a brand like Philips putting out a top quality tv.
it’s interesting about the HDR perfect I wondered what this was and I’m guessing it’s the same on my model from last year - which I keep on minimum!

I really like that the stand swivels! Only the Pioneer in my bedroom does.

Is this actually available at Costco as is not online?
Philips told me that is the case and they also posted in the P5 thread, where you can get all the models.

So Phil, is the HDR performance and picture quality as good as the likes of Panasonic and LG when HDR Perfect is set to minimum?

So Phil, is the HDR performance and picture quality as good as the likes of Panasonic and LG when HDR Perfect is set to minimum?
Yes, they all do subtlely different things in HDR, but performance between them all is very similar. The LG and Philips are closer in looks with colour and brightness, the Panasonic just edges it slightly, but we are talking tiny differences in colour saturation and hue.
Set to Minimum the HDR Perfect is tone mapping for 1000 nits but it works with 4000, it just clips a little more detail in the highlights. If you know you're watching 4000 nit mastered content, setting HDR Perfect to off will get you a better tone map that tries to restore those highlight details but the image is slightly darker to do so. I would like to see the Philips TVs do this automatically and not require end user input.

How can a TV be given a highly recommend award when one of the core features does not work?
No sound from BBC iPlayer is a major fault and not just an irritation.

"We did, however, have issues with the BBC iPlayer where we didn’t have any sound. No matter what we tried we couldn’t fix this issue (it is also the same on the OLED+934)."

It's Recommended, not Highly Recommended. Plus, it is an issue that is fixable easily with a firmware update and fed back to Philips. With software, these things happen and it could be on the BBC side and not TPVision. In every other way, it is recommended.

Hmm on the face of it last years 803 seems better than this years 804/854, it had better scores and was highly recommended. I'm wondering if last years P5 second generation processor is better than this years. Its perfectly possible, newer isn't always better.

All manufacturers love to tweak, tweak, tweak, too much of that could very well lead to worse performances on occasions.

Maybe the 754 with last years processor is where its at.

Hmm on the face of it last years 803 seems better than this years 804/854, it had better scores and was highly recommended. I'm wondering if last years P5 second generation processor is better than this years. Its perfectly possible, newer isn't always better.

All manufacturers love to tweak, tweak, tweak, too much of that could very well lead to worse performances on occasions.

Maybe the 754 with last years processor is where it's at.
No, things have moved on since that review. The 854 is slightly better with improved HDR colours and no posterisation that was on the 803. The new P5 chip is also better with more memory. The competition hasn't stayed still either and the 854 is scored against its current peers, as it should be. And unlike other reviews that do a comparison on memory of the other TV, we have done side-by-side comparisons to make sure we are comparing to as many peers as possible.

No, things have moved on since that review. The 854 is slightly better with improved HDR colours and no posterisation that was on the 803. The new P5 chip is also better with more memory. The competition hasn't stayed still either and the 854 is scored against its current peers, as it should be. And unlike other reviews that do a comparison on memory of the other TV, we have done side-by-side comparisons to make sure we are comparing to as many peers as possible.
Ok that figures. One thing though screen uniformity of 8 for the Philips. Other 2019 have a 9 I recall. Why did Philips get an 8? Maybe I've missed that bit in the review.

It's Recommended, not Highly Recommended. Plus, it is an issue that is fixable easily with a firmware update and fed back to Philips. With software, these things happen and it could be on the BBC side and not TPVision. In every other way, it is recommended.

Phil, obviously Phillips new about this last year and never changed it. Do you think this is something they will fix for this and last years models and do they read these forums?

mots a bit of a big thing to not get right surely?

Hi Phil,

Some great reviews on OLEDs recently. They all seem quality and we are spoiled for choice :D

It feels like a review on the C9 is imminent, any idea when you might have it available?

Many Thanks

Last edited:
I found the HDR perfect setting tone maps differently when in HDR game mode.

that’s very interesting, I wonder if anyone can explain what it does? Surely there’s someone from Philips lurking on the forum?
I forget the exact mappings. But it went from Off = 4000nits, Minimum 3500 nits to Maximum being around 2000 nits iirc when I tested it using multiple in game calibrations.

The iPlayer issue is known and a fix will be available towards the end of this month.

can you tell us anymore about the HDR settings with this and last years model and if there will be a Dolby vision update for last years? Thanks in advance
HDR Perfect is an 'intelligent' algorithm that monitors and adjust local contrast frame by frame to give HDR content similar performance to HDR10+. Unfortunately, Dolby Vision requires a change in silicon not just firmware so 2018 sets can not be updated to offer DV.

Does anyone know If the new aple TV+ streamin service is comming to Android TV/Philips 2019 oleds in the future?

Does anyone know If the new aple TV+ streamin service is comming to Android TV/Philips 2019 oleds in the future?
Apple TV is currently under evaluation by the Smart TV team but there are no plans to make it available at the moment.

Want to win a 65"OLED 854? Attendees at the Philips TV/Dolby Labs/ Bowers & Wilkins event on Nov 19th will be entered into a draw with one person winning the set on the evening - this will be announced on the promoted feature on the AV Forums home page on Monday.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom