Philips 854 4K OLED Review & Comments

Want to win a 65"OLED 854? Attendees at the Philips TV/Dolby Labs/ Bowers & Wilkins event on Nov 19th will be entered into a draw with one person winning the set on the evening - this will be announced on the promoted feature on the AV Forums home page on Monday.

I’d prefer some functionally updates to the tv I spent £1500 on last year first please

The iPlayer issue is known and a fix will be available towards the end of this month.

Any chance you could head over to below thread and help us out please?:

Smashy, I think this is a bit off topic.

It's not an OLED tv you're referring to for a start.

Please adhere to the title of the thread.

Thanks.

£1800 is considered mid-range these days??? I need a pay rise!

Hi everyone,
I want to buy new TV and I was so excited about Philips 854 but now I'm more confused.
On every review LG C9 vs. Philips 854, LG won (because of picture quality).

I have to say I don't play games on TV. So LGs low input lag and HDMI 2.1 support it's not what will win for me. I focuse on movies and series with better quality. I really like Ambilight and HDR10+ support of Philips but now when Black Friday hit its 1st time LG cheaper than Philips.

How it works when I want to watch HDR10+ content with LG which don't support it? Will it play only with HDR10? Or I'm not able to play it at all?

Which TV would you choose if you will not play games on it?
Sorry for my english and have a nice day.

There’s not much content with hdr+10 around time be fair.
I know I’ll be corrected with this by some people but I haven’t noticed a difference between hdr or Dolby vision so I think you’ll be fine with the Philips tv.
At the end of the day go with what you like and what looks better - not what some review says :)

Hi everyone,
I want to buy new TV and I was so excited about Philips 854 but now I'm more confused.
On every review LG C9 vs. Philips 854, LG won (because of picture quality).

I have to say I don't play games on TV. So LGs low input lag and HDMI 2.1 support it's not what will win for me. I focuse on movies and series with better quality. I really like Ambilight and HDR10+ support of Philips but now when Black Friday hit its 1st time LG cheaper than Philips.

How it works when I want to watch HDR10+ content with LG which don't support it? Will it play only with HDR10? Or I'm not able to play it at all?

Which TV would you choose if you will not play games on it?
Sorry for my english and have a nice day.
The Philips won in a Spanish youtube channel review on youtube. And the Philips is well rated here

Also the UK site trusted reviews likes it a lot. Even the review on here isn't by any means bad 10 for SDR picture quality for a start. Which is what most people will mainly watch.

804/854 owners what are the image retention/burn-in settings on these TVs? Pixel shifting etc

What's it got.

anyone got theirs yet and if so what is the screen uniformity like?

Has anyone actually purchased the 55" 854 model yet?

If so, where from?

I know Costco have it listed on there site, but its still showing out of stock and the link is only found via Googling it.

Hello,

So I was very happy this last weekend because I've bought a black friday deal TV - Philips 55OLED854, with nearly 1100 EUR which was a really good deal. I was glad about the Ambilight, HDR10+, good panel reviews, great design. After initial setup and a minimal calibration i immediately started noticing the judder /stutter in all the cinematic scenes, because for the movie mode i've canceled any motion processing. The judder is very very annoying it is always there, I compared side by side with my Samsung KS8000 with no motion on and the judder is more visible on the Philips.....maybe it is the OLED instant response and contrast that make it so obvious.
The second problem is that I've tried all the settings possible to find the perfect spot (like on Samsung KS8000 - 2 for blur 3 for judder in the custom motion settings) of reducing judder without creating soap opera effect or introducing interpolation artefacts....Well at Philips 854 (most probably the same as for 804) I cannot find this sweet spot, while going to Motion Styles > Personal > I found that for Perfect Natural Motion turning it from off to minimum it instantly gives the soap opera effect and many artefacts in motion and increasing it it makes it worse. Perfect Clear Motion seems to do nothing. I am very bodered about this issue and although dolby vision movies look great I cannot stop my mind from seeing all this faults in the image processing.
My question is if there are any settings that I should try or recommendations or if not should I return it put some extra 100 EUR and buy LG 55 OLED B9, is it any better overall and especially in motion processing and judder reduction?

OLED judder is a well documented issue, and as you've already figured out, it's the fact that the pixels react 200 times faster on OLED compared to LCD.

The relative slow reacting pixels on LCD tvs are actually an advantage when it comes to motion handling. The frames 'merge' over one another better, giving a better impression of motion.

The last time I researched this issue, it was rumoured that Sony were experimenting with a setting to increase the reaction time of pixels on OLED tvs. This would give the user the option of making OLED pixels react/behave more like more conventional tvs, giving better motion handling.

This would be a great step forward, giving the user the true best of both worlds: improved contrast, colour AND great motion handling.

I doubt if the OLED LG will be any better for you. If you're sensitive to judder, SOE and motion artifacts, then you may wish to consider returning to LCD for the time being.

An interesting one. You always used to read OLED is where its at for motion and better than LED.

Maybe in general it is better. But with 24p content it can be worse than LED.

Hello,

So I was very happy this last weekend because I've bought a black friday deal TV - Philips 55OLED854, with nearly 1100 EUR which was a really good deal. I was glad about the Ambilight, HDR10+, good panel reviews, great design. After initial setup and a minimal calibration i immediately started noticing the judder /stutter in all the cinematic scenes, because for the movie mode i've canceled any motion processing. The judder is very very annoying it is always there, I compared side by side with my Samsung KS8000 with no motion on and the judder is more visible on the Philips.....maybe it is the OLED instant response and contrast that make it so obvious.
The second problem is that I've tried all the settings possible to find the perfect spot (like on Samsung KS8000 - 2 for blur 3 for judder in the custom motion settings) of reducing judder without creating soap opera effect or introducing interpolation artefacts....Well at Philips 854 (most probably the same as for 804) I cannot find this sweet spot, while going to Motion Styles > Personal > I found that for Perfect Natural Motion turning it from off to minimum it instantly gives the soap opera effect and many artefacts in motion and increasing it it makes it worse. Perfect Clear Motion seems to do nothing. I am very bodered about this issue and although dolby vision movies look great I cannot stop my mind from seeing all this faults in the image processing.
My question is if there are any settings that I should try or recommendations or if not should I return it put some extra 100 EUR and buy LG 55 OLED B9, is it any better overall and especially in motion processing and judder reduction?
Reviews state there is no judder with certain settings on this Philips. It is possible apparently. Read some online pro reviews maybe. And check out Vincent Teoh's video of the 804 he talks about motion.

Reviews state there is no judder with certain settings on this Philips. It is possible apparently. Read some online pro reviews maybe. And check out Vincent Teoh's video of the 804 he talks about motion.
Exactly those reviews and Vincent's HDTV recommended award for 804 made me buy it. I am not that sensitive, I went yesterday night in a local TV Store and watched the same content on LG C9 and the judder is less visible and motion handling is great. I have spend hours trying all the settings and there is no sweet spot a minimum increase in perfect motion ruins the picture quality (SOE and artefacts). I will upload a video to show you.

For 24p blu ray content, its recommended to use Movie motion preset. On discs at least with that setting I find motion to be excellent on the Philips. For non 24p content it has been mentioned if you have issues to either disable all motion processing or use game mode.

Hope that helps.

I'm still showing 114.002 with no new updates to download....

What sound bars do you guys use with your 804/854 oleds (If any). I have been thinking of samsung q76r or lg sk10y with my 854. Wallmounting the TV is sadly not an option for me so the choices are kind of limited for very slim soundbars. Could have purchased Philips new TAPB603/10 atmos soundbar for just 200€ but no reviews of it anywhere and it's a littlebit too tall🙁 So have you had any problems with your soundbars ARC connetions to the TV and with atmos (If the soundbar you are using supports it)?

I use the samsung q90r.It passes dolby vision and hdr10+,which may be useful as more of the latter comes available in the future.

I use the samsung q90r.It passes dolby vision and hdr10+,which may be useful as more of the latter comes available in the future.

No it doesn't. No Samsung televisions process Dolby Vision, just as no LG and Sony televisions process HDR 10+. If you want a television that does both then you choose between only Philips and Panasonic.

No it doesn't. No Samsung televisions process Dolby Vision, just as no LG and Sony televisions process HDR 10+. If you want a television that does both then you choose between only Philips and Panasonic.
Sorry,I did not make it clear.I meant the q90r soundbar.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom