Philips 854 4K OLED Review & Comments

Looks like that Philips is still bad in SW compare to other brands. Btw. is the ambilight working with Hue ok? Philips 754 has some issues with this feature.

Heard back from Phillips Support! Re Kodi...

Annoyed to find out KODI is crippled when running on the TV.

When installing Kodi on the TV it outputs all videos at 1080/60 . It will not play 4k videos at all without downscaling to 1080 and will not play at 24fps

On speaking to Phillips Customer support the only "Support" they offer is to use an external device with Kodi, like a Shield etc as the TV missing settings to allow Kodi when installed to see the frame rates and resolutions on offer, so is locked at 1080/60 . there are no plans to resolve this

Seems stupid to pay this amount for a TV and then have to hunt around for an external player when the TV has the facility built in

Think mine will be winging its way back to Costco, and I will get the Sony 65 instead, will miss the Ambilight but Decent playback more important

So beware buying this if you want a simple Kodi Solution

Als been advised that Costco are NOT supplying the UK Specific version of the TV/Remote

The ones Costco have are with the Euro Remote without the FreePlay Button

Remote.jpg

Last edited:
When installing Kodi on the TV it outputs all videos at 1080/60 . It will not play 4k videos at all without downscaling to 1080 and will not play at 24fps

This issue has also been taken up at several Kodi forums, see e.g.
and links to other threads there.
I think the understanding seems to be that the UI resolution has nothing to do with the actual resolution of media being played. Try to play the same file via usb/default media player, VLC and Kodi and if you get the same quality or not

This issue has also been taken up at several Kodi forums, see e.g.
and links to other threads there.
I think the understanding seems to be that the UI resolution has nothing to do with the actual resolution of media being played. Try to play the same file via usb/default media player, VLC and Kodi and if you get the same quality or not

No its playing at 1080/60. Works fine in vlc and plex and on an external kodi device

Veiwing the built in kodi framerates during playback confirms 1080/60

Any chance to check screen resolution/framerate while using Android TV? The +/info key doesn't do its job here.

I just got the tv today! And what a beauty. For the sound I have bought the Samsung HW-Q90R but unfortunately the tv is not support 7.1.4 Dolby Atmos... The highest sound quality the I can get is 5.1. I called Philips to ask if they have a tv that supports 7.1.4 but the don’t have that. I asked for the new coming models this year but they don’t know anything he said. That’s a said story. I love the Ambilight but also want really to have 7.1.4... Is there any good calibration settings already for this? I looked and searched but can’t find anything. Maybe someone’s want to share it with us?:)

The TV supports Atmos, I think. But without eARC your are not getting it out of it. And it was mentioned in ask reviews that HDMI is limited to ARC. So maybe an external player like the Shield makes sense here.

What is the best app on the Philips tv to play 4K movies? With the standard built in player i had with 1 movie a lot of lag. Then i downloaded VLC Player in the Android store and that plays is good without lag. Any recommends on this? I want to calibrate the tv but i see that no one shares the calbration settings:(

Seriously considering this tv potentially instead of the c9. Motion handling is one of my key considerations, from what I’ve read the motion handling on Philips is better than lg? Does it do this well without an soe (especially when viewing 24fps movies).

Philips' strong point with motion IS the SOE.

If you're sensitive to SOE then look elsewhere.
Sorry for being thick but their strong point is motion processing when incorporating soe but not necessarily when processing motion without including soe? So Sony would be smoother on 24fps content for example (Without introducing soe)

Smooth motion = SOE, it's what you see in real life all the time with your own eyes - buttery smooth.

Even on low settings, SOE still visible on Philips.

But, yes, Sony's motion processing is less aggressive and SOE difficult to achieve, even with settings cranked up.

I say again, if you want motion processing but dislike SOE, Philips is definitely not for you. Philips is for SOE enthusiasts.

If i’m not mistaken are you referring to the micro dots on your screen... If so it’s nothing to worry about as mine has the same. In fact as it’s an LG panel even the LGS have those micro dots on the bottom of the screen which i’ve seen on almost all oled tvs.

I would also like to know if anyone has some recommended settings. It's my first foray into OLED and Philips and it would be good if anyone has some tips. I am impressed with the picture but would like to maybe tone down the SOE a little when watching movies.

I watch all my blu-rays with motion set to Movie. No SOE. Hope that helps.

I would also like to know if anyone has some recommended settings. It's my first foray into OLED and Philips and it would be good if anyone has some tips. I am impressed with the picture but would like to maybe tone down the SOE a little when watching movies.

I have the 804 and have to say i love it the more i watch it... I’ve read about motion blur but i’ve yet to experience it. It has a razor sharp blur free image with astonishing clarity and excellent motion processing.

Yes people bang on about how a movie is supposed to look but my life doesn’t past me by with judder or blur i don’t like the SOE effect but i do like subtle but smooth motion which i think the philips does to great effect.

The settings i use is Movie mode, with motion style set to personal which enables you to set Perfect natural motion to Minimum and i have Clear motion on Minimum combined together is outstanding clarity super sharp and clear.

The image cannot be described it blows me away... Any fast movement or panning has a smooth transition.

Trouble is, even on minimum, I found you get artifacts with the interpolation.

Trouble is, even on minimum, I found you get artifacts with the interpolation.

I don’t suffer with any, maybe having set it to off might be your solution.

I watched Aquaman last night and there is a lot of fast movement and panning shots, i didn’t see any blur but again having it set to off might be the solution for you.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom