Philips OLED 754 4K TV Hands On Review & Comments

Any experiences with the new update? Does it make sense to install it?

Do I understand it right that it is not possible to stream Dolby Atmos from internal Netflix app to the soundbar through HDMI? I was going to order this TV together with Samsung HW-Q90R soundbar ....
I get Atmos sound through netflix and sound no problem

Hi
There is a new software
TPM196E_091.003.051.081– Date: 2020/06/08
- Fix for Finland HbbTV services
- Fix for Network connection via LAN
- Some minor improvements

Has anyone tried this ?

How to make downgrade to one of the old software files (software updates history attached) if something goes wrong?

Has anybody problems with black screen which turns on for 1-2 seconds and than everything returns back to normal again?
It's happends when I'm watching satellites channels from enigma2 box (only use this connection).
Thanks in advance.

had this problem seem with my engima2 box (what one you have btw) my box was stuck on 2160p30 I changed it by turning on unsupported resolution setting then changing to 2160p 50hz

I have a problem with my box taking control on my Philips remote do you know how to stop this I turn off control TV remote in E2 HDMI CEC settings but has not worked

I get Atmos sound through netflix and sound no problem
Yes, me too - already bought the TV and the soundbar couple of weeks ago. Netflix Premium subscribtion tested yesterday.
I just thought there is more content in 4k+DA+DV on Netflix.
What is strange (and annoying) to me on Netflix is when watching some series (like Lockse&Key yesterday), the sound got muted when next episode starts (i need to rurn the soundbar off and then on to connect throug ARC again). Also the Netflix 4k quality is nothing extra...

had this problem seem with my engima2 box (what one you have btw) my box was stuck on 2160p30 I changed it by turning on unsupported resolution setting then changing to 2160p 50hz

I have a problem with my box taking control on my Philips remote do you know how to stop this I turn off control TV remote in E2 HDMI CEC settings but has not worked
Why not to connect the satelite cable to the TV directly? Is the card paired with the box?

I have a strange issue someone hopefully can help me with right I have soundbar andvtv connected via HDMI arc both working fine both come on when pressing TV remote on button.

Bit I added a zgemma H9 box couple days ago and ever since I can turn on or control SB volume with TV remote unless I power on the zgemma H9 on first before powering on TV and Soundbar anyone know how to fix this..if I unplug the Zgemma from the wall. Then the soundbar and TV are communicating as it should.

Thanks mate. I 'll try different resolution options. And it's a lot of options on my Vu+ Uno4Kse with OpenPLi.

No problems with Philips remote. I'm using 2 separately. Can't help here.

@Dalibor Koplik
Vu+ is paired with the card.

Anybody found any issues with the latest firmware?
My 754 is being delivered tomorrow and I don't want to muck it up on day 1.
Anyone?

I'm having a similar problem - If I turn on the TV with my Sky Q remote via CEC then ARC doesn't active and so the sound comes out of my TV speakers rather than my soundbar. However if I turn on the TV first using the TV remote the soundbar connects via ARC just fine. If I accidentally use the Sky remote then the only way to reset the TV and reactivate ARC is to fully unplug the TV and start again. I'm hoping a fix will eventually come from Philips!

Just make sure you have set up your speakers on the sky q settings to use the remote, and then also on the tv under the sound option to use home cinema.
I have found that just by pressing the home button on the sky remote rather than the on button fires everything up fine, but if it doesn’t then a second press of the home button does it. And a long press on the off button on the sky remote should turn it all off.
I'm having a similar problem - If I turn on the TV with my Sky Q remote via CEC then ARC doesn't active and so the sound comes out of my TV speakers rather than my soundbar. However if I turn on the TV first using the TV remote the soundbar connects via ARC just fine. If I accidentally use the Sky remote then the only way to reset the TV and reactivate ARC is to fully unplug the TV and start again. I'm hoping a fix will eventually come from Philips!

Sod ya's... Took delivery of my 754, updated the software, no surprises so all good, if anyone else was holding off then don't worry, I'll answer if nobody else will, the new software seems fine.

How do I report a issue to Philips to hope get a fix in firmware
In past I made some communication with them through official support which can be found on their website.
What do you need to report/fix?

Installed the update, going to have to restore TV to factory settings as iPlayer won’t load again!

Also still getting terrible banding / crawling moire patterns (mainly in lighter colours) when the Apple TV is set to Dolby Vision. Bladerunner 2049, the smoke / steam where he lands the spinner at the farm in the beginning is a mess.

I’m seeing it in other things on Netflix and even in Disney + to.
Did you get this sorted? Watching wall-e in Disney plus and the banding is horrendous, almost as though it's intentional.

Did you get this sorted? Watching wall-e in Disney plus and the banding is horrendous, almost as though it's intentional.
I’m also experiencing this issue. Watching a show on Netflix on Apple TV shows terrible colour banding but watching the same show on the native Netflix app is totally fine. Also tried with Amazon Fire stick and same issues

Nope, after every software update I check to see if the issue has gone and it hasn’t. I think the issue is something to do with the TV and ATV negotiating the wrong settings for DV.

I’ve attached a couple of pics showing what I mean.

With the ATV set to DV and playing a DV film, when I look at the signal info on the TV, you can see that the bit depth etc is all wrong - it’s 8 bit. In DV mode, there’s no no ATV sub settings in picture I can set to force away from RGB etc. This would explain the banding.

The other pic shows me setting the ATV to HDR mode and turning match range off. Now as you see, the depth correctly shows 12 bit and the banding is as good as gone. If I set pull down to 4:2:0 rather than 4:4:4 (which the ATV auto chooses, then bit rate correctly drops to 10bit.

I’m using proper films from the store which I’ve bought. But the issue also happens in Netflix etc. It doesn’t seem as pronounced in ATV Netflix but it’s definitely there.

The built in TV Netflix is fine, no banding whatsoever.

It’s a pain, I generally have to leave the TV set to 4K non DV or HDR with match range off. Having match range on and the picture switches to DV mode bringing the banding back. Leaving it set to HDR is no good either as any non HDR content gets forced to HDR which looks wrong.

Either that or I have to switch picture mode on ATV between HDR / non HDR manually every time!

I’m also getting random reboots of the TV to. I’ll be happily watching and the TV just reboots for no reason.

I wish I could send it back and had gone for another make now.

Attachments

• 4BC76D64-5C81-4637-B2FB-42EB8BDB69DF.jpeg
    4BC76D64-5C81-4637-B2FB-42EB8BDB69DF.jpeg
    159.1 KB · Views: 118
  • 7D7B7E8A-87B6-4DCC-B115-1663D2DA6750.jpeg
    7D7B7E8A-87B6-4DCC-B115-1663D2DA6750.jpeg
    175.3 KB · Views: 118
I’m also experiencing this issue. Watching a show on Netflix on Apple TV shows terrible colour banding but watching the same show on the native Netflix app is totally fine. Also tried with Amazon Fire stick and same issues

Interesting that you get it with Firestick, that suggests something not talking correctly on HDMI ports.

Have you gone in to settings and switched HDMI to enhanced?

Interesting that you get it with Firestick, that suggests something not talking correctly on HDMI ports.

I'm also using firestick, only getting 8 bit from Disney plus but I didn't think about it being related to dv, I'll have a play about, thanks for the info.

I’ve messed around with the settings and it’s exactly the same.
I wonder if it has anything to do with this
It seems that there was an issue caused by Dolby that has now been fixed but requires the tv manufacturers to update the firmware.

I’ve messed around with the settings and it’s exactly the same.
I wonder if it has anything to do with this
It seems that there was an issue caused by Dolby that has now been fixed but requires the tv manufacturers to update the firmware.

That link is from January 2018, I'd hope that particular issue has been dealt with by now.

That link is from January 2018, I'd hope that particular issue has been dealt with by now.
I would hope but whether it is this issue or something else, there is definitely an issue with this tv and how it handles Dolby Vision content through HDMI. Which is a massive shame as the Dolby Vision content I’ve watched looks incredible! So I’m hoping it is something that can be fixed through an update.

I would hope but whether it is this issue or something else, there is definitely an issue with this tv and how it handles Dolby Vision content through HDMI. Which is a massive shame as the Dolby Vision content I’ve watched looks incredible! So I’m hoping it is something that can be fixed through an update.
Oh I agree there is, but like sue Hall pointed out there is a downgrade when Dolby Vision is applied via hdmi, in Disney plus if you were to watch something that's standard HD or hdr10 you'll get 12 bit through hdmi, but as soon as dv is applied you get 8 bit, and it seems that's the issue with banding, for whatever reason the tv won't accept Dolby Vision at 10 or 12 bit. The fact apple tv and firestick are both doing this points more towards the tv.
Personally this is annoying because I bought the firestick for Disney alone, a day later it became 10 quid cheaper and to top it off the 1080p picture I was getting through my og ps4 is actually better.

Arghh, looks like the problem is the same with the Shield TV as well!
Netflix with DV is 8bit and shows banding 😩

Has anyone tested a 4K bluray with DV yet? Just to confirm this a TV issue? (not that they're is much doubt at this stage) None of mine have DV, but I'm tempted to order one from Amazon just to test. Honestly this is a potential deal breaker for me as all my viewing is done using external devices rather than TV apps. That said, if the TV is capable of handling DV correctly, then I see no reason why this can't be fixed with a firmware update 🤞

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom