Philips OLED 754 4K TV Hands On Review & Comments

I’ve been emailing someone at Philips customer service and they are adamant it’s not a problem with the tv. However they also keep referring to it as Dolby Atmos and sending me articles on how to fix issues with sound even though I have clarified with them that it’s Dolby Vision I’m having issues with not Atmos.

Hmm, that's very frustrating that they aren't recognising a clear and obvious issue. I may also get in contact and see what they say.

On another note, does anyone know how the Philips gamma settings relate to official gamma curve numbers? I can't seem to find any literature on it.
At present I've left it at 0 which looks around 2.4 but I don't know how I can find out.

Just got this tv today and mainly watching netflix.
Any fast moving part of the screen, turns blocky.

Anyone else got this issue?

Just got this tv today and mainly watching netflix.
Any fast moving part of the screen, turns blocky.

Anyone else got this issue?
Turn all the settings that you don't need off or down, natural reality, noise reduction, artefact reduction, that kind of thing, also give the movie option a try in the motion options, it's pretty good.
Fwiw I've never had the issue you have, but I've heard others have.

Turn all the settings that you don't need off or down, natural reality, noise reduction, artefact reduction, that kind of thing, also give the movie option a try in the motion options, it's pretty good.
Fwiw I've never had the issue you have, but I've heard others have.

If I turn all the motion settings off it is better. It is when I add these, the picture just gets loads of artifacts when something moves fast.

If I turn all the motion settings off it is better. It is when I add these, the picture just gets loads of artifacts when something moves fast.
If you're interested I could post my Netflix settings when I get home, might be helpful.

That would be great thanks
For normal HD picture:
Movie
Colour 66
Contrast 60
Sharpness 0
Brightness 58
Colour enhancement off
Colour gamut normal
Colour temp warm
Contrast mode normal
Pnr off
P contrast off
Video contrast 100
Light sensor off
Gamma 0
Ultra res on
Noise reduction min
Mpeg a r off
Motion style movie
With Dolby Vision I leave it as is except I change the motion to movie to tone down the soap opera effect.

For normal HD picture:
Movie
Colour 66
Contrast 60
Sharpness 0
Brightness 58
Colour enhancement off
Colour gamut normal
Colour temp warm
Contrast mode normal
Pnr off
P contrast off
Video contrast 100
Light sensor off
Gamma 0
Ultra res on
Noise reduction min
Mpeg a r off
Motion style movie
With Dolby Vision I leave it as is except I change the motion to movie to tone down the soap opera effect.

Thanks for this.
The picture looks much nicer with these settings.

I'm stuck watching some kids programme with mermaids in at the minute, so not sure if it has resolved the motion yet!

Thanks for this.
The picture looks much nicer with these settings.

I'm stuck watching some kids programme with mermaids in at the minute, so not sure if it has resolved the motion yet!
No problem, hopefully it's all sorted.

No problem, hopefully it's all sorted.

Yes it's much better now. Just watched some fast moving scenes and it's spot on now. Much happier. Thanks very much.

And I've never been so proud of my five year old daughter who just commented on how black space looked on the TV!

Scrap that, its ordered and coming Thursday, anything I need to do when it arrives, other than the picture settings stated above?

Last edited:
Hello, I own a 754 which is working only with apps. I justed handed over my Nvidia Shield to my daughter (she can make better use of it than me), and since now I'm only watching Netflix and Prime through the onboard Saphi system. This is more or less OK for me. At least the picture and videoquality of both apps seem par as what Shield produced.

One question though. Is there a way to setup the TV so that it does not start by asking what source to use? This is very annoying, and unbelievable that Philips has not foreseen that a part of their users (I think in my country almost all of them?) are no longer using tuners to watch tv. Thx.

Last edited:
Hello, I own a 754 which is working only with apps. I justed handed over my Nvidia Shield to my daughter (she can make better use of it than me), and since now I'm only watching Netflix and Prime through the onboard Saphi system. This is more or less OK for me. At least the picture and videoquality of both apps seem par as what Shield produced.

One question though. Is there a way to setup the TV so that it does not start by asking what source to use? This is very annoying, and unbelievable that Philips has not foreseen that a part of their users (I think in my country almost all of them?) are no longer using tuners to watch tv. Thx.
The tv starts up at whatever source it was last used, so if you watched a blu ray then switched off it'll start up on that particular input, obviously if you haven't got your player on then you're going to get the source question, if you press tv before you switch it off it'll start on tv.

I'm getting issues with sound output but not sure if it is my soundbar or tv.

The TV is connected to the soundbar via ARC and the sound works. However, when something is turned off and back on I lose it and the only way to get it back is to take the power lead out of the TV and plug in again.

It doesn't make a difference if I'm using an internal TV app or sky source.

The TV is set to output to hdmi sound system.

The TV is connected to the soundbar via ARC and the sound works. However, when something is turned off and back on I lose it and the only way to get it back is to take the power lead out of the TV and plug in again.

It’s a bug in the Saphi OS that many have and so far not been able to cure. I stopped using the apps because of this and only watch them via my Sky Q or Apple TV box.

I have the same issues when watching Dolby Atmos content on Netflix with my Q90R soundbar - changing the input on the soundbar and cycle it back to D.IN will run Atmos again. It is not very comfortable, but at least no need to power the soundbar off/on (which helps as well).

The tv starts up at whatever source it was last used, so if you watched a blu ray then switched off it'll start up on that particular input, obviously if you haven't got your player on then you're going to get the source question, if you press tv before you switch it off it'll start on tv.

Thx @Darbo. This is it.

Anyone performed the new software update yet? reading the changelog it looks like it'll solve an issue I have with mine regarding apps, I'm just reluctant to update because Philips are bobbins regarding software.
Anybody wanna be the guinea-pig?

Anyone performed the new software update yet? reading the changelog it looks like it'll solve an issue I have with mine regarding apps, I'm just reluctant to update because Philips are bobbins regarding software.
Anybody wanna be the guinea-pig?
When did this come out, As i installed my TV on Thursday and updated to the latest software, all working great

When did this come out, As i installed my TV on Thursday and updated to the latest software, all working great
It came out yesterday according to the Philips blog, don't suppose you fancy updating again do you? :D

I've just updated ! happy to be a guinea pig because I've been having a lot of issues I just want this TV to work. Main issue has been arc issues between my TV and the amp ( I have to pull the plug most days) this may take a few days to show. What I can confirm is that Dolby Vision is showing the correct info on external devices hopefully this fixes the banding issue that many have been experiencing.

I've just updated ! happy to be a guinea pig because I've been having a lot of issues I just want this TV to work. Main issue has been arc issues between my TV and the amp ( I have to pull the plug most days) this may take a few days to show. What I can confirm is that Dolby Vision is showing the correct info on external devices hopefully this fixes the banding issue that many have been experiencing.
Jesus really? if they've fixed Dolby vision through hdmi that'd be great, I'll bite the bullet and update now.
Edit.
Yep, external Dolby sources fixed, 12 bit showing and sound is in sync too, finally.

Last edited:
**edit the slider was there before update but I’d never noticed ***
Might be me but i noticed last night that when I adjust the volume using my Apple TV remote you now get the slider thing on the left of the screen similar to the tv one, may have updated automatically so i will report back any issues.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom